New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I have never felt the St. Louis Rams had a rivalry with the 49er's, at least the local fanbase. When the Rams first came to St. Louis the Niners beat the smack out of us for years and I always felt Isaac Bruce's 4TD game against them in '99 was the death of the old rivalry. New century. New uniforms. New players. StL - SF rivalry nowhere near as intense as SF-LA, which is a region and city rivalry much deeper and beyond the sports teams alone...like Red Sox - Yankees is enhanced by Boston-New York (New England pissing match that goes back to colonial times) or Celtics-Lakers is enhanced by Boston-LA (east coast-west coast, too).

IF the Rams stay in St. Louis and the Raiders and Chargers do end up in LA, then its time to end the forced, non-geographical based rivalry of the St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49er's and establish a new one between whoever ends up in the NFC in Los Angeles.

Besides, I have always felt more animosity and rivalry with Seattle. It was the Seahawks who took over control of the division after 2003 and really while San Francisco got back on top for a couple year under Harbaugh, the big kid on the block - and the team we have had more entertaining big games with since '03 has been Seattle. It hurts that they have owned the Rams on the scoreboard and in the standings, but in a hideously non-geographic division, the last 20 years have been anything but a continued, heated rivalry.

Bruce kept it alive for the GSOT era teams, but seriously? When he ended his career as a Niner? THAT was the end of the Rams-Niners rivalry in St. Louis...when the player who the rivalry meant the most to decided to accept their offer to finish out his career? Nah, sorry man, there IS NO MORE RAMS-NINERS rivalry left to protect.

IMHO, of course.

Disagree, becuase I hate the fucking 49ers with a passion surpassed by only the Bears.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The only thing that will upset me with the potential final outcomes is if we aren't in the NFC West anymore. For the NFL to ruin one of the oldest rivalries with us and the Whiners would be criminal.

Honestly, that wouldn't upset me at all. Rivalries spring up quickly, look at Seattle and us. It's the byproduct of division play. Of course that's the view from St Louis, where worrying about the division seems like putting the cart before the horse.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Disagree, becuase I hate the freaking 49ers with a passion surpassed by only the Bears.

I kind of agree with him. Every one I know gets far more pumped for Seattle or Arizona. Seattle you've got the bully that can't seem to bully us. Arizona, well that's obvious fuck them. But SF? Well, it's hard to maintain a rivalry based on who can make the dumbest offseason decisions.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I kind of agree with him. Every one I know gets far more pumped for Seattle or Arizona. Seattle you've got the bully that can't seem to bully us. Arizona, well that's obvious freak them. But SF? Well, it's hard to maintain a rivalry based on who can make the dumbest offseason decisions.

Arizona? I've never really felt anyone had much of a rivalry with them, hell a lot of Rams fans I knew wanted them to win the Super Bowl with Warner.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
The only thing that will upset me with the potential final outcomes is if we aren't in the NFC West anymore. For the NFL to ruin one of the oldest rivalries with us and the Whiners would be criminal.
And let's not forget the 50 year relationship the AFC West Division members shared. Realignment would be blasphemy.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
,,,,,Nah, sorry man, there IS NO MORE RAMS-NINERS rivalry left to protect.

IMHO, of course.

It's cool. Many in LA beg to differ. However we have no say so if they do stay in St.Louis then perhaps the realignment would make more sense. I'd still be damned upset being an LA -NFL fan for over 50 years.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The only rivalry (other than the rather recent division thing) between the Rams and Cardinals would be Bidwill...That has nothing to do with the L.A. fans...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have never felt the St. Louis Rams had a rivalry with the 49er's, at least the local fanbase. When the Rams first came to St. Louis the Niners beat the smack out of us for years and I always felt Isaac Bruce's 4TD game against them in '99 was the death of the old rivalry. New century. New uniforms. New players. StL - SF rivalry nowhere near as intense as SF-LA, which is a region and city rivalry much deeper and beyond the sports teams alone...like Red Sox - Yankees is enhanced by Boston-New York (New England pissing match that goes back to colonial times) or Celtics-Lakers is enhanced by Boston-LA (east coast-west coast, too).

IF the Rams stay in St. Louis and the Raiders and Chargers do end up in LA, then its time to end the forced, non-geographical based rivalry of the St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49er's and establish a new one between whoever ends up in the NFC in Los Angeles.

Besides, I have always felt more animosity and rivalry with Seattle. It was the Seahawks who took over control of the division after 2003 and really while San Francisco got back on top for a couple year under Harbaugh, the big kid on the block - and the team we have had more entertaining big games with since '03 has been Seattle. It hurts that they have owned the Rams on the scoreboard and in the standings, but in a hideously non-geographic division, the last 20 years have been anything but a continued, heated rivalry.

Bruce kept it alive for the GSOT era teams, but seriously? When he ended his career as a Niner? THAT was the end of the Rams-Niners rivalry in St. Louis...when the player who the rivalry meant the most to decided to accept their offer to finish out his career? Nah, sorry man, there IS NO MORE RAMS-NINERS rivalry left to protect.

IMHO, of course.
A few things. No the Rivalry is not dead among most Rams fans I have spoken with and that includes fans in St Louis. The distance from St Louis to SF is shorter than the distance to Seattle. The only reason there may be a real rivalry there is that they are in our division. The historical rivalry just isn't there.

The Rams/Whiner rivalry is one of the truest rivalries in all of football and the idea that geography has taken that away doesn't hold water. The NFC "West" used to consist of Rams, Whiners, Aints, and Dirty Birds. Before that, the Coastal Division included the Baltimore Colts. You wanna talk hideous non-geographic divisions?

True - there is the CA connection between the Whiners and the Rams but it really started because the two teams have been in the same division since the beginning of the NFL and were generally the teams to beat within their division.

The poor performance of the Rams over the past 10 - 15 years has meant that the Rams vs any particular team is not as big of a deal maybe. But the Rams/Whiners rivalry is anything but dead and the players know it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Arizona? I've never really felt anyone had much of a rivalry with them, hell a lot of Rams fans I knew wanted them to win the Super Bowl with Warner.

I agree, don't have any feelings towards the Cardinals whatsoever. They could win the SB multiple times and I wouldn't care.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The rivalry has faded partly because the the 49ers and Rams are never good at the same time. Back in the 80's it was always a battle between the two for the division. And it's kind of looking like to me that the Rams are about to be good again and the 49ers are about to be really bad for a while.

RAMbler

UDFA
Disagree, becuase I hate the freaking 49ers with a passion surpassed by only the Bears.

.....and "I" hate the freakin' whiners with a passion surpassed by only...... NOBODY!!

This rivalry is alive and well folks....

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
I'm glad I wasn't the only one with a visceral reaction to the post about not seeing the Niners as a rival to the Rams.
Rams Niners is like Giants Eagles or Packers Bears. Burying that tradition is truly blasphemy.

RAMbler

UDFA
The rivalry has faded partly because the the 49ers and Rams are never good at the same time. Back in the 80's it was always a battle between the two for the division. And it's kind of looking like to me that the Rams are about to be good again and the 49ers are about to be really bad for a while.

I don't see a faded rivalry.... 'at all'. I honestly don't know what makes me more giddy..... a Rams victory, or a whiner defeat?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Shifting back to stadium stuff, I'll be interested to seeing how the Chargers react to San Diego putting a vote in December. Obviously its too late, and would basically ruin Carson, but I wonder if the Chargers are going to entertain that or tell them it's a nonstarter.

It looks like San Diego is trying to do what St Louis is doing, get a deal on the table regardless of what the team wants in hopes the NFL blocks a move.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Shifting back to stadium stuff, I'll be interested to seeing how the Chargers react to San Diego putting a vote in December. Obviously its too late, and would basically ruin Carson, but I wonder if the Chargers are going to entertain that or tell them it's a nonstarter.

It looks like San Diego is trying to do what St Louis is doing, get a deal on the table regardless of what the team wants in hopes the NFL blocks a move.

If you think St. Louis was late to the party with their stadium deal, San Diego missed the party by about 10 years.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If you think St. Louis was late to the party with their stadium deal, San Diego missed the party by about 10 years.

I think they're both late, but to be fair to San Diego, they got shot down a lot and didn't just push ahead anyway. Regardless, both cities knew it was coming.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Entirely due to Warner. We wanted Warner to win the SB. Absolutely huge difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.