New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He also worked for the Raiders but there was an issue and he was released. Gannis also worked on the Heinz Field, not sure if it was for the Rooney's or Pittsburgh.
I believe he claimed to have had a masters degree from a college that said he only attended classes there for a period of time in the 80s. Also, I don't believe he has done anything on the Inglewood project but his name keeps coming up as "helping" the Rams and Raiduhs during their moves in the 90s.

Edit:

From the LA Times:

Marc Ganis, the man who produced the marketing plan to bring the Raiders back to Oakland, will be relieved of his duties "after this week," according to an Oakland Coliseum official. The announcement follows reports that Ganis falsified his credentials by claiming he had a law degree and a master's degree in business administration. Syracuse University officials said Ganis attended classes only periodically between 1980 and 1987, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Funny thing is that it would appear that he didn't even produce the marketing plan. This dude is a sports ambulance chaser.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Quite a few of these don't make any sense.

Obviously Spanos and Davis. After that its fuzzy.

The LA committee will likely base their votes together, but in terms of "tradition" for Rooney, what tradition? He's going to turn down one team to relocate so he can vote to move two teams?

Kraft might have some ego, but billionaires don't make billion dollar decisions to "appear important".. Either way teams go to LA. There's plenty of other big owners, Jerry Jones is well known. I don't see Kraft voting no for that reason.

Why would Bidwell and Khan vote out of spite? Khan got his team, I doubt he cares, and what is Bidwell upset about?

For the swing votes, Cincinnati? Why?

Why would Chicago, Kansas City, or Tennessee vote no? Especially Kansas City, these are all teams close enough they could try to expand their footprint into St Louis if its open.

Minnesota makes no sense either. They would vote no based on the fact they got a new stadium and the NFL helped?

SF is similar the the three closer teams, its actually in their best interest for all NFC West teams to vote yes. Shorter travel, no timezone changes, that helps them.

These teams may all vote no, but I doubt it based on the reasoning you're stating. Most teams will likely follow what Goodell suggests, who probably follows what the LA Committee suggests. Making billion dollar decisions based on spite, and some of the other reasons you said just makes no sense.
agreed. the owners just want to make more money and putting a team back in LA would stir the pot and increase revenue in a large market, especially if that team is starting to get hot. all of this increases profits league wide so I don't see most owners opposing. for Kroenke it would easily put more butts in seats with easy travel up and down the coast for when the Niners or any other local team comes to town.

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Can STL be the next "Cleveland" in NFL?
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_ea2bb1a4-9219-5ab1-9065-ed0611c4df97.html

When I interviewed Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon last week, we discussed a number of subjects including the status of the St. Louis stadium plan, the effort to keep the Rams, the fairness of the NFL's relocation guidelines, Nixon's relationship with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and the future of NFL football in STL.

Nixon has taken the high road with Stan Kroenke, refraining from criticism of the Rams owner and making it clear that keeping the Rams here is the No. 1 priority. Nixon's diplomacy with regards to Kroenke and the Rams has scored points at the NFL headquarters. The last thing Goodell or NFL executive vice president Eric Grubman want is a governor blasting away at the region's NFL owner.

If the St. Louis task force can finalize the stadium funding in advance of the NFL's time frame for making a decision on relocation, Kroenke may not get his way. The NFL could reject his application bid and suggest that it's time to make peace in St Louis.

OK, but what if the stadium funding and land purchases are secured and the NFL allows the Rams to move to Los Angeles, anyway? That would put St. Louis in a bad position in the quest to retain NFL membership. Would we have a shot at attracting another NFL franchise? Maybe, maybe not. Seriously, there's no way to make predictions with confidence.

Nixon said something interesting last week when I asked him what would happen if the Rams are green-lighted for a move to LA -- even if St. Louis has funding in place to build the new stadium on the north riverfront.

The governor cited Cleveland as an example of hope.

Nixon repeatedly stressed that the only thing he cares about is keeping the Rams here. It's his only priority. He's willing to meet with Kroenke at a moment's notice.

But since I pestered Nixon to answer a "what if" question, he said what we would expect him to: the goal is to keep St. Louis as part of the NFL, and all of the emphasis is on Rams.

However ... if the Rams are hauled away, then the only thing to do is explore alternative possibilities.

And should it reach that point, Nixon hopes St. Louis would be positioned to become the next Cleveland.

The governor was referring to a unique event in recent NFL history.

Cleveland was ambushed in 1995 when Browns owner Art Modell secretly cut a deal with the state of Maryland to move the franchise to Baltimore before the '96 season.

The controversial and unexpected move caused a huge uproar, not only in Cleveland but throughout the NFL. How could the NFL allow Modell to run off and abandon a great football market? Cleveland threatened to sue the league.

Eventually, the NFL and Cleveland agreed on a deal. In February of 1996, the NFL announced that the Cleveland would be returned to the league in 1999, to play in a new stadium. The Cleveland spot would be filled in one of two ways; an existing team would move there, or the league would give the city an expansion team to begin play in '99. As part of the agreement, the NFL made Modell leave the Browns nickname behind, and establish a new identity (the Ravens) in Baltimore.

In the end, Baltimore got a team that's won two Super Bowls since moving there. The Ravens are one of the league's better franchises. And Cleveland received a replacement franchise. Even though the "new" Browns haven't won much, at least Cleveland kept its place in the NFL. The solution worked.

So what does St. Louis have in common with Cleveland?

No one, including me, would try to make the case that St. Louis has the same level of passion for NFL football as Cleveland. But the same could be said of many NFL markets, and it's hardly an insult to St. Louis to recognize Cleveland's historical significance in the NFL.

But just as Cleveland got a raw deal when Modell ran away with the franchise, it would be terribly unfair for St. Louis to lose the Rams and NFL membership after coming up with a funded, workable stadium plan for the second time in fewer than 25 years. How many cities have built two new stadiums in fewer than 25 years to keep the NFL in town? Answer: none. And how many cities have lost a team after offering the franchise a new stadium? Answer: none.

So I completely understand Nixon's Cleveland reference.

This is about fairness, and St. Louis being taken taken care of after stepping up to appease the NFL and the Rams by solving a stadium problem with a true financial commitment. It's about the NFL doing the right thing instead of abandoning a market that did what the NFL asked it to do.

But if the Rams are permitted to move to LA, how could the NFL accommodate St. Louis? It wouldn't be easy. But let's consider some scenarios:

1. Grant St. Louis an expansion team. This is longshot. The NFL has been adamant about maintaining a 32-team league -- repeatedly declaring that there are no plans to expand. I suppose we should never say 'never,' because anything is possible. And the NFL has played with an odd number of teams before; the new Browns were the league's 31st franchise and the league didn't add a 32nd team until the expansion Houston Texans began play in 2002.

The NFL could, in theory, go with 33 teams for a while before adding a second Los Angeles franchise or entering the international market with a team in London. If the NFL reversed course and decided to add a 33rd team, it would make more sense to give Kroenke an expansion team in Los Angeles and keep the Rams in STL under new ownership. That's the most plausible expansion scenario ... but again, unless the NFL signals a willingness to even consider expanding, it's more of a fantasy than realistic possibility. If the NFL is considering expansion, the league is doing a great job of keeping the plans secret.

A Kroenke-owned expansion team in LA solves one predicament; St. Louis would keep the Rams and stay in the league. But what about the Chargers and Raiders? Unless something happens fast with new stadiums in their current markets, the NFL could accommodate both teams by choosing their plan to partner in a new stadium in Carson, south of LA. And that would be a bad development for Kroenke's LA dream.

2. The NFL makes a Denver deal with Kroenke, who would be given first-in-line status to purchase the Denver Broncos should the franchise go up for sale in the next several years. This would undoubtedly have some appeal for Kroenke, who owns Denver-based teams in the NHL, NBA and MLS. By adding the Broncos to his properties, Kroenke would no longer be in violation of the NFL's rule prohibiting cross ownership.

The NFL would approach Kroenke with this promise: plan on staying in St. Louis and moving into the new riverfront stadium, and we'll take care of you when the Broncos become available.

But this is no longer such a simple scenario. With owner Pat Bowlen's health in serious decline, the Broncos are currently held by a family trust. Under the old NFL rules, there'd be some financial pressure for Bowlen's children to sell the franchise to avoid massive inheritance taxes. But with the new NFL ownership rules, the Bowlen's heirs have a better chance of keeping the team.

That would change only if they wanted to sell. In that case, Kroenke could purchase the team and sell the Rams to new ownership that keeps the team in St. Louis. But all of that depends on the Bowlen family.

3. The Oakland Raiders move to St. Louis. This would only be in play if the Raiders (A) don't get a new stadium in Oakland, and (B) get shut out of Los Angeles with the NFL choosing Kroenke's Inglewood plan over the Carson plan. But Raiders owner Mark Davis has repeatedly insisted that he has no desire to bring a team to St. Louis. He flat-out rejects the possibility. And each time Davis says this, he becomes more adamant in dismissing the idea. But wouldn't a move to a new stadium St. Louis serve to stabilize his finances and long-term ownership of the Raiders?

Not necessarily. You could even say "probably not." The NFL owners last month voted to allow trust ownership of teams, and lowered the percentage required for an owner to stay in control of the franchise to a minimum of 5 percent. Under the new rules, irrevocable family trusts can control ownership of teams, and these trusts can protect ownership heirs from getting walloped by inheritance taxes.

What does this mean for Davis? The Sports Business Journal explained:

"With asset values now soaring past $1 billion, the tax bite is severe, commonly 40 percent of appreciation. Take the Oakland Raiders, owned by the widow of the late Al Davis, who took control of the team in 1972 when the franchise would have been worth just a few million dollars. Davis passed in 2011. His wife theoretically now could put her control portion into an irrevocable family trust for the benefit of her son, Mark Davis, who runs the team, and greatly reduce the tax bill he would owe when she passes."

4. Kroenke buys the Raiders and moves them to LA, and sells the Rams to a St. Louis-based group. This isn't a crazy idea, but again, Davis insists that he will never sell the Raiders. It's personal with him because of his late father, Al Davis, who owned the Raiders and turned them into an iconic NFL franchise. Yes, every potential seller has a price, but Davis seems entrenched in his no-sale position. And with the league changing the ownership rules to provide estate-taxes relief, Davis isn't under as much pressure to sell. At least in theory, anyway.

5. The Chargers get shut out of LA, and move to St. Louis. Forget about it; I just can't see this happening. And for the sake of conversation ... even if there is a a chance, it wouldn't be in play anytime soon. If the Chargers lose the battle for LA, they'd renew or continue efforts to get a new venue in San Diego. Any St. Louis stadium funding is based on the here and the now. That funding wouldn't be in place long-term.

6. The Jacksonville Jaguars move to St. Louis: In 2020, maybe. But Shad Khan, an honorable man, has invested a great deal of money in the stadium in Jacksonville, and he's worked hard to enhance the team's financial picture through aggressive marketing and sponsorship deals. Khan is determined to make it work in Jacksonville. If he had interest in St. Louis, it wouldn't be now. And again, the mechanism for funding a stadium in St. Louis is temporary. It doesn't stay on the table forever.

I like the idea of a "Cleveland" solution in St. Louis. It makes for intriguing discussion. We can play the parlor game and think of all of the possibilities. But the realities are far more complicated.

Our town's best shot at staying in the NFL still evolves around secure funding of the proposed stadium. And then our hopes would rest with the NFL, and the league's willingness to enforce its relocation guidelines.

Thanks for reading ...

- Bernie

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We all know emotions can run high. One side loves their team and doesn't want to lose them. The other side loves their team and wants them back. Kinda like two guys in love with the same woman and she has to make a choice.

Dang, I must really love the Rams. If I was in position where a woman had to make a choice between me and another guy I'd tell her "Let me make your decision easier. I'm outta here". But I wouldn't do that with the Rams. I'd love dem bums wherever they go. :cool:
Only problem with that analogy is that the woman in question cant be replaced with another very easily if at all

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
Oh Bernie... Why not give the expansion team to St Louis? That way they start fresh with their own team, not a sloppy second, and wouldn't be hanging the Rams jerseys up in a closet in the chance the StL region gets another team. We in LA are well aware how important the horns are, and with all due respect, if the horns don't come back, you might as well keep 'em.

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Bernie: Can STL be the next "Cleveland" in NFL?
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_ea2bb1a4-9219-5ab1-9065-ed0611c4df97.html

How many cities have built two new stadiums in fewer than 25 years to keep the NFL in town? Answer: none.

Wrong there are 3. Atlanta, Indy and Seattle

And how many cities have lost a team after offering the franchise a new stadium? Answer: none.

Wrong, Anaheim

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Oh Bernie... Why not give the expansion team to St Louis? That way they start fresh with their own team, not a sloppy second, and wouldn't be hanging the Rams jerseys up in a closet in the chance the StL region gets another team. We in LA are well aware how important the horns are, and with all due respect, if the horns don't come back, you might as well keep 'em.

We always hear about how much money Stan could make in LA if he moves there. Wouldn't the league want the expansion team in LA for those same purposes?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Quite frankly, because they've been here 20 yrs. They've won a super bowl here. We've gone past sloppy seconds and married the drunk girl that LA left at the party. Because we're going to be building a second new house for that greedy bitch. If we're talking switching teams willy nilly and talking expansion possibilities, why would St Louis automatically get the shaft here? If, in this scenario, both LA and STL get a team, shouldn't it be LA who gets the expansion team? And why am I even talking about this? It's a made up scenario with no chance of coming into being. But I've already typed this much so I guess I'll hit post reply.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Quite frankly, because they've been here 20 yrs. They've won a super bowl here. We've gone past sloppy seconds and married the drunk girl that LA left at the party. Because we're going to be building a second new house for that greedy bitch. If we're talking switching teams willy nilly and talking expansion possibilities, why would St Louis automatically get the shaft here? If, in this scenario, both LA and STL get a team, shouldn't it be LA who gets the expansion team? And why am I even talking about this? It's a made up scenario with no chance of coming into being. But I've already typed this much so I guess I'll hit post reply.

Here is the reason I don't think that will happen, it's because the Rams were in Los Angeles the Browns were always the Browns and I'm quite sure Modell had no plans to make them the Baltimore Browns even though most people are fans of alliteration.

BTW love the drunk girl analogy!
very-hot-party-girl-3-640_1_s640x427.jpg

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip

It's not so much the city but the owner. The owner has an existing team that has a strong brand and a team on the rise so no need to wait 3, 4 or 5 years for an expansion team to be ready to play.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It's not so much the city but the owner. The owner has an existing team that has a strong brand and a team on the rise so no need to wait 3, 4 or 5 years for an expansion team to be ready to play.

Having a team on the rise has nothing to do with the market. Kroenke does give them a leg up. But honestly, they'd probably make the same money with an expansion team. Possibly a little more up front with expansion fees in the LA market.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wait, wasn't it the drunk girl who left LA and took the Rams home with her?
Operator, well could you help me place this call
See, the number on the match book is old and faded
She's living in L.A
With my best old ex-friend Ray
A guy she said she knew well and sometimes hated

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Operator, well could you help me place this call
See, the number on the match book is old and faded
She's living in L.A
With my best old ex-friend Ray
A guy she said she knew well and sometimes hated

My wife ran off with my best friend. Boy, do I miss him. :D

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I can't wait to see which of us turn out to be right. Which scenarios turn out to NOT be bat shit crazy. After all this discussion you have to admit a certain detached curiosity no matter what side you're on. It'll probably be the biggest crackpot theory who ends up being right. Per internet rules, that person will be insufferable for the remainder of his days.

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
The funny thing Blue4 is that none of the scenarios are batshit crazy at all. Both sides just wear different filters when disseminating the information because of their hearts.

I think a lot of us will simply be relieved to have it over with.
I am truly with the hopes that we can all get along afterwards even though there will be many hurt feelings on the one side to the other.

The bottom line is we are all Rams fans and should stick together through thick and thin.
I'm pretty sure those who are Rams fans first will..

BTW, are you always up at 4am posting?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The funny thing Blue4 is that none of the scenarios are batshit crazy at all. Both sides just wear different filters when disseminating the information because of their hearts.

I am truly with the hopes that we can all get along afterwards even though there will be many hurt feelings on the one side to the other.

The bottom line is we are all Rams fans and should stick together through thick and thin.

Midnight shift. 4:00am is my lunch break usually. I'm on vacation this week, but habits after 15 years die hard.

Once it's over, they'll be no hard feelings towards anyone but Stan for me. But like I've said before, I'll follow the team that's in STL. If we get hosed out of one altogether, I'm going to find something else to do on Sundays. Maybe I'll try to get my garage band to play more, I've always been unavailable on Sundays before. Certainly plenty of great cycling here in the fall. I've had enough of the NFL jerking fan bases around. If they want to treat this as a business instead of part of the culture, I'll do the same. I don't patronize businesses that screw me multiple times.

But that's just me. I don't think ROD will have much of a problem getting along. It's a great forum with good people. I don't think anyone here believes that the residents of LA had anything to do with it, and I don't think anyone here blames the people from LA for being excited.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The only thing that will upset me with the potential final outcomes is if we aren't in the NFC West anymore. For the NFL to ruin one of the oldest rivalries with us and the Whiners would be criminal.

Moostache

Rookie
The only thing that will upset me with the potential final outcomes is if we aren't in the NFC West anymore. For the NFL to ruin one of the oldest rivalries with us and the Whiners would be criminal.

I have never felt the St. Louis Rams had a rivalry with the 49er's, at least the local fanbase. When the Rams first came to St. Louis the Niners beat the smack out of us for years and I always felt Isaac Bruce's 4TD game against them in '99 was the death of the old rivalry. New century. New uniforms. New players. StL - SF rivalry nowhere near as intense as SF-LA, which is a region and city rivalry much deeper and beyond the sports teams alone...like Red Sox - Yankees is enhanced by Boston-New York (New England pissing match that goes back to colonial times) or Celtics-Lakers is enhanced by Boston-LA (east coast-west coast, too).

IF the Rams stay in St. Louis and the Raiders and Chargers do end up in LA, then its time to end the forced, non-geographical based rivalry of the St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49er's and establish a new one between whoever ends up in the NFC in Los Angeles.

Besides, I have always felt more animosity and rivalry with Seattle. It was the Seahawks who took over control of the division after 2003 and really while San Francisco got back on top for a couple year under Harbaugh, the big kid on the block - and the team we have had more entertaining big games with since '03 has been Seattle. It hurts that they have owned the Rams on the scoreboard and in the standings, but in a hideously non-geographic division, the last 20 years have been anything but a continued, heated rivalry.

Bruce kept it alive for the GSOT era teams, but seriously? When he ended his career as a Niner? THAT was the end of the Rams-Niners rivalry in St. Louis...when the player who the rivalry meant the most to decided to accept their offer to finish out his career? Nah, sorry man, there IS NO MORE RAMS-NINERS rivalry left to protect.

IMHO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.