New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...-st-louis-if-that-s-what-the-nfl-wants-010915

New stadium plan could keep Rams in St. Louis -- if that's what the NFL wants
Luke Thompson
FOX Sports Midwest

JAN 09, 2015 5:14p ET

ST. LOUIS -- A publicly owned 64,000-seat stadium on the riverfront appears to be the best and possibly final effort to keep the Rams from moving to Los Angeles.

Former Anheuser-Busch president Dave Peacock -- half of a task force appointed by Gov. Jay Nixon that includes local attorney Bob Blitz -- revealed the plans Friday afternoon for a facility he hopes will persuade owner Stan Kroenke to keep the franchise in St. Louis. Both sides still have plenty of questions to answer, but ultimately whether the city's efforts succeed will likely come down to what the NFL wants.

Artist renderings presented a pretty picture of a stadium and surrounding area estimated to cost somewhere between $860 million and $985 million, a range that reflects just how early it is in the process. Support from local and state officials provides a solid foundation, but Peacock's answers to financial questions made it clear there's still plenty of work to be done.

"There's a lot of ways, I'm sure, to source the public financing," Peacock said. "Whatever means are required to achieve that, the people in legislative staff and political area, they're assessing that. But I've been given confidence there are ways to source this public financing and do it in such a way that it is either the same or less burden on the community than we have today."

Assuming that's true, it's about the best St. Louis residents and Rams fans could have hoped for short of a generous billionaire coming out of the woodwork. Whether or not you believe Peacock's claims of revitalizing the surrounding area and estimates of up to $20 million in extra revenue from freeing up the Edward Jones Dome for events year-round, it's clear this stadium would be a huge benefit to an area in desperate need of redevelopment.

The proposal offers a lot to like even for non-football fans, particularly if dreams of a Major League Soccer franchise come to fruition. Nonetheless, based on what we know, it's tough to imagine the plan will do much to get Kroenke re-engaged with St. Louis.

PI-NFL-Rams-New-Stadium-01-010915.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

Fans would return to the elements in the proposed new stadium.

Earler this week, a joint venture that includes the reclusive billionaire unveiled a plan to build a privately owned and financed 80,000-seat stadium in the LA area. It's yet another sign he seems dead set on moving back to the city the Rams left in 1995, and no matter how sweet a deal St. Louis gets for its public financing or how much it gives to the franchise, revenues and benefits for Kroenke here will never touch what he could get out West.

"Our urgency is not driven by Los Angeles or anywhere else for that matter," said Peacock, who has been working on the project for about a year. "Our urgency is driven by the fact that we build a stadium for our fans and our community to be a community and public asset, and there's an imperative as we've started the Arch grounds as the impetus to continue this great work and position our city for where it deserves to be in people's minds for 2020."

Peacock said meeting that target date for completion would make it "lightning-speed" compared with other NFL cities such as Minnesota, Atlanta and San Francisco, or San Diego, which still hasn't been able to move out of its 48-year-old stadium. But at this point, it's the kind of ambition St. Louis needs to make an impression on the NFL.

Early conversations indicate the league is willing to listen, and Peacock said the first step for the task force was to go to New York and present its proposal, though he has yet to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell. That's more than St. Louis can expect from Kroenke, though of course Peacock said he'll be open to conversations.

In the end, unless Kroenke goes rogue, the city just needs to persuade one of those two entities. It's clear which option would be easier.

Peacock made sure to repeatedly emphasize the NFL's bylaws, which require teams to bargain in good faith and exhaust all options with their current city before a move is considered. As he noted, teams are not allowed to move solely for the opportunity to make more money.

PI-NFL-Rams-David-Peacock-010915.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

MORE ON THE STADIUM PLAN
"The Rams are our team and we believe with this kind of plan the Rams will continue to be our team," Peacock said. "I don't think anyone ever bought tickets to go to a game ... because of the owner. They go to games to have fun. They go to games to see a winner, which we need to see in this town."

Persuading Kroenke to stay doesn't appear to be high on the priority list, nor should it be, given his history. Clearly, the league would also stand to benefit in a number of ways from a franchise finally moving back into one of the nation's top markets, but some other factors are working in St. Louis' favor.

Kroenke isn't exactly well-liked among league officials and his fellow owners, who would have to approve the move by a three-fourths vote. If St. Louis can provide a viable new stadium that wins approval from the NFL, it might prefer to have teams from San Diego and Oakland move out of old stadiums instead.

Of course, one of those two teams could always move to St. Louis if Kroenke leaves with the Rams, but Peacock refused to go into detail on such a possibility. It feels like a long shot for a city that has already lost an NFL franchise once, and it certainly wouldn't have the same potential for public support.

The league has announced it won't be allowing any teams to move before 2016, so there's still plenty of time for the stadium proposal to solidify as details fall into place. An early emphasis on transparency offers an encouraging sign going forward, and the group appears to have a workable plan in place.

None of that will really matter, though, if the NFL decides it needs to act on its best chance to get back to the lucrative LA market since the Rams and Raiders both left in 1995. Speculation regarding a return has been prevalent for nearly that long, often giving franchises leverage over their home cities.

Even the most well connected and resourceful task force doesn't stand much of a chance of preventing a multibillion-dollar industry from getting what it wants, even if it has to bend its own rules.

Give credit to St. Louis officials for all the work they've done to get to this point. It's just not clear if anything will be good enough.

You can follow Luke Thompson on Twitter at @FS_LukeT or email him at lukegthompson87@gmail.com.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7e2fb1d3-e88c-5e7d-8317-60fc286b74dc.html

It was on page 16 of this thread. I've always figured it was just as likely Kroenke was using L.A. as leverage as it was he actually intended to move. But now, especially with JT pretty much coming out and saying it, after he'd been so careful on the subject for so long, i think it's pretty likely SK really does intend to move...

Thank you, I see where you are coming from and have read that once. I just want to say that I read articles like that with the mindset that Peacock is making a case to the NFL, not Stan. Clearly Stan not being in contact with this proposal is a showing of neglect and that doesn't look good for the "exhaust all other options" part of the bylaw.

But in the end if the Rams don't find a way to offset the cost of the 200 million, minimum, out of Stan's pocket, this deal is sunk or hindered.

If Stan chooses to put down big money into the deal, we are golden. That's what we are waiting on at this point. It's Kroneke's turn, we'll see.

Rams said they would be in contact with the stadium group for whatever that's worth. Hopefully it's not just lip service, but there is a whole year for something to take place on both sides.

If Stan does nothing and fills out a relocation form at the owners meeting next year, then it's war. "Save the Rams" will be the slogan to the NFL by STL. And the Chargers owner said he has the votes to block a move. So, even then it's not over. And Stan won't build a stadium without a committed team. STL is very safe in the meantime.

Arbitration was the prelude
STL stadium proposal is the beginning

The plot begins to thicken

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
PFT has always come in handy for us Cut/Paste folks. No site keeps the NFL news coming quicker. That said it isn't called "Rumors" for nothing. Florio began going off the rails once he teamed up with NBC and became big time.

I like him for the most part except when he inserts his social engineering philosophies into NFL stories(trying to shame the Redskins into changing their name is just one recent example).

The 'Rams to LA' is a more glamorous story than the 'Rams stay in St. Louis.' It's really only about generating more clicks.

Couldn't have said it better, thank you. (y)

Boffo97

Name
Dave

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kroenke isn't exactly well-liked among league officials and his fellow owners,
Really? I'm going to go out on a limb and say this guy has no idea what he is talking about here.

I wonder in all of this - and I don't know as I haven't paid much attention to non-Ram overtures - but how many other owners were directly involved in these processes and how many of them had a selected group handle it on their behalf? It is also interesting that though the Peacock/Blitz group has only been formed for less than three months and they have acknowledged talking to Kroenke's people several times, that somehow it translates to Kroenke not being part of the process. They haven't spoke with Goodell or apparently any of the other NFL owners, yet the NFL is "very involved" in the process?

I just don't know how much good is being done for St Louis to have the owner villainized in this process. In all of this, if the Rams stay in St Louis, it will be because Stan made sure the facility was the best it could be. If he decides to move, then I could fully understand St Louis fans wanting to hate on him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think the decision to appeal to the NFL is a smart one. Stan is going to do whatever he wants regardless of whatever rule the NFL has. And they'll let him in the end. Money wins, in everything. Not just football. At least this way we (ST Louis) have a shot at a team if he leaves. I have to say, all this has put a damper on my enthusiasm for 2015.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And when they play Fordham University, the Let's go pee chants can be countered with chants of F U!

And all of us love Fordham University that produced the 7 blocks granite led by Vincent Thomas Lombardi and are nicked named the Rams and are the very reason the St. Louis Rams are the "Rams!"

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And all of us love Fordham University that produced the 7 blocks granite led by Vincent Thomas Lombardi and are nicked named the Rams and are the very reason the St. Louis Rams are the "Rams!"
The mighty Red and Black.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Well, I know I'm a tad biased, however, I would hope there would be urinals in any stadium and I don't think people will be cursing Kroenke when they are utilizing the urinal because like they chant at Austin Peay University...Let's Go Pee!

Don't know why Silent Stan would see any need to install urinals, he pisses on Rams fans on a regular basis...

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
What St Louis needs are the Stallions !!!!

The team they should have gotten in 1993

The Rams move back to Los Angeles where they belong , Khan moves the Jacksonville Jaguars to St Louis , they change the name to the Stallions , the name St Louis was going to use if they got the expansion team in 1993 , instead of Jacksonville

The city of St Louis now has a team with their own identity

Rams change their colors back to Blue and Yellow and St Louis gets to keep the color Gold

It's a win / win situation for everyone

well , unless you're from Jacksonville....................lol

StLouisStallions.GIF

3011474167_c7638070b8.jpg

stallions+proto.jpg

M667790.jpg

StLouisStallions2.jpg

Boffo97

Name
Dave

The Rams move back to Los Angeles where they belong , Khan moves the Jacksonville Jaguars to St Louis , they change the name to the Stallions , the name St Louis was going to use if they got the expansion team in 1993 , instead of Jacksonville

Rams change their colors back to Blue and Yellow and St Louis gets to keep the color Gold

StLouisStallions.GIF

stallions+proto.jpg

M667790.jpg

StLouisStallions2.jpg
As ugly as the Jaguars uniforms are, they'd be better off staying the Jaguars than becoming the Stallions... those uniforms... ugh...

That said, everything I've heard says the Jags are locked into their lease for more than a decade to come.

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
Back to the stadium itself. Looking at Lambeau field the is no protection from the elements at all and you get much more extreme weather up there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

For the record the ownership group that was put together by Walter Payton back in 93 for St. Louis fell apart the NFL Expansion Committee (Chaired by John Shaw) gave the St. Louis group an extra month to fine a major investor and they came up with (irony) was Enos Stanley Kroenke, but the powers that be in the NFL did not come away impressed and went with Wayne Weaver in the Jacksonville Jaguars instead. The Carolina group was always in play because of Jerry Richardson and because at that time Charlotte was a hot bead in the 90's.

What I find amazing is that John Shaw was the major chair of the expansion committee and realized the money that was available and thus revealed to Georgia the cash cow that was there for the taking. Shaw first suggested Baltimore, but St. Louis mad Georgia an offer she could not refuse.

What I find amazing all these years later is the major chair of the committee for the NFL for a team in Los Angeles is Stan Kroenke! Cue Stanley Kubrick.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Doing the minimum to remain in a city while buying stadium land in another city isn't great ju-ju either. The owner doesn't even take meetings.

I don't disagree, but he has sent his representatives down to speak to them. Just because they haven't met face to face doesn't mean he hasn't discussed things at all. However until this proposal, the ball was in St. Louis's court. The Rams made a proposal, the city turned it down, they went to arbitration and the Rams won. At this point it was up to the city to come up with something else, but they didn't do anything for a very long time.

Even with this proposal, I don't think it comes near enough for Stan to even think about it. There's financing issues (not only among having Stan pay for nearly half of it), issues that he has in terms of owning everything, parking and seating issues, viability for attracting a Super Bowl, the time frame, etc. They didn't cover anything that really sets the stadium apart other than it is new, it looks somewhat bland compared to new stadiums you see now. It's not fair to look to Green Bay or Chicago and say "Well they make it work!" because those stadiums have history behind them, and that is a large reason why they can work. If Soldier field was proposed today the owner would probably balk at it. Lambeau field could even get that same reaction, but they do have 20,000 more seats for the additional revenue, but the stadiums don't really offer much other than history.

I know I sound like I'm an anti St Louis, bring the Rams to LA guy in this thread, but that's really not my intention.

Personally I want the Rams to stay in St Louis, and part of that is because I'm moving to St Louis in a few years so my girlfriend can be closer to her family, and I want the Rams to be there for me to watch, since I don't have the time to do so now if they were to be in LA.

However when I look at things from Stan's perspective, it certainly seems like he wants to leave. He has his demands and goals, and while I liked the stadium at face value, when I really looked at different details, I was a bit discouraged because I just don't see how Stan takes this, even if his goal is to stay in St Louis. If this is the best that St Louis will do then I don't think Stan has any problem convincing the league that he can move.

A lot of things depends on what Stan really wants to do, and how serious he is about LA. At this point it certainly looks like he is very serious, and thus when I look at things I'm looking at it from the idea that Stan is set on leaving and only something that knocks him off his feet will convince him otherwise. I have no faith in the NFL being able to or wanting to force Stan to keep the Rams in St Louis. I heard a decent dumb down yesterday. Stan said "Hey look I'm buying a Ferrari!" and St Louis came back with "How about instead we go halfsies on a Camry.... And I'll own it..... And maybe I wont be able to pay all of my share.". If Stan really wants his Ferrari, then St Louis needs to set their game up significantly.

This offer is great for a different owner (Raiders, Chargers, Jaguars perhaps), but for Stan's demands? Awful. If St Louis is really making a pitch to the NFL so they'll entice another team to move there when Stan packs up, then I think it's a pretty smart move. If they're really trying to keep Stan here, then not so much. All of this assumes that Stan is serious and is very set on his demands being met or close to them. As of the moment that Stan's company announced their building a stadium in LA, I'm inclined to believe he's very serious.

Construction has started on Hollywood Park already, and while they haven't started on the stadium specifically, they are working on the immediate surrounding area, and that's pretty important. A few LA politicians have already informed Stan that they will assist him as much as possible with getting things built and ready for him as well. St Louis cannot afford to play it slow and lowball him, if they are counting on the NFL to help them, I think they're going to be very disappointed.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Have to believe the stadium pitch is to make it easier for the NFL to approve a team's move to STL easier! Kroenke will move the Rams to LA because it's the most profitable move for him. Hope one of those other teams like the situation provided by STL!

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion

StLouisStallions.GIF

stallions+proto.jpg

M667790.jpg

StLouisStallions2.jpg
You are aware that the Jags have a long lease to stay in Jacksonville right?

Jaguars essentially stuck in Jacksonville until '27

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jaguars-essentially-stuck-jacksonville-until-022700805--nfl.html

Last edited:

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
Am I the only one that doesn't like the concept of the new stadium in St. Louis?

vs.

Status
Not open for further replies.