New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So Stan's got drawings and St Louis has it's fate in the hands of the Missouri state legislature. A entity that actually prides itself on hating all cities and loves backwards, Mississippi-esque thinking. Doesn't look good for the home team.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
So Stan's got drawings and St Louis has it's fate in the hands of the Missouri state legislature. A entity that actually prides itself on hating all cities and loves backwards, Mississippi-esque thinking. Doesn't look good for the home team.
I was thinking that, until Peacock showed that losing the Rams will cost the state 295 million dollars (over the cost of the bonds) in his presentation. Even the guy who was leading the charge for the vote that requires the legislature not to extend the bonds said something like he does not want to lose the Rams, but just wanted the state to have the ability to vote on it and that it's not a unilateral decision by the governor.

St. Louis is the economic powerhouse for the state. It gets well more than half of its revenue from the area (even counting Kansas City). Trust me when I say the legislature will be hard hit if they screw over St. Louis. I know this because I grew up around politicians and know them. I've talked to them (including those in the state senate) about this.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I was thinking that, until Peacock showed that losing the Rams will cost the state 295 million dollars (over the cost of the bonds) in his presentation. Even the guy who was leading the charge for the vote that requires the legislature not to extend the bonds said something like he does not want to lose the Rams, but just wanted the state to have the ability to vote on it and that it's not a unilateral decision by the governor.

St. Louis is the economic powerhouse for the state. It gets well more than half of its revenue from the area (even counting Kansas City). Trust me when I say the legislature will be hard hit if they screw over St. Louis. I know this because I grew up around politicians and know them. I've talked to them (including those in the state senate) about this.

I hope you are right.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Both stadiums are phenomenal in their own right so now let's start working on putting a winning team together so no matter where they play people will actually want to show up!

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
This is intresting. He's going to make a shitload of money by advertising if the roof is like a giant billboard. That's insane.

"Why does a Southern California stadium need a roof? Aside from the fact an enclosed venue can play host to a wider range of events, a covering gives Kroenke the ability to create the world's biggest billboard, one visible to the more than 35 million travelers who fly into and out of L.A. each year. Images or animations could be projected onto the roof, instead of being permanent fixtures. Plans call for a sail-shaped roof structure that's twice as big as the stadium and shelters the football field, the adjacent 6,000-seat performing arts venue and the "Champions Plaza" in between. HKS is studying perforated metal panels and the mottled shadow patterns those cast on the ground like sunlight through a tree. The playing surface would be artificial turf.

Last edited:

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I understand your point. I, for one, have never thought that.

My only thought while reading your post was the high percentage of opponent fans that are in the dome when I travel to see the Rams once or twice a year. It seems that when the Rams are winning, most people want to go to the game, but not when they're losing. And, my thought was that this happens in every city.
That, my friend, is the result of the Rams putting out a losing team for at least 10 consecutive years. I go to the games as well and while there are a nice amount of opponent fans there, they never outnumber the Rams fans. Even so, we're not talking about a few years in the cellar but a freaking decade of being there. Considering that, the city has done a damned good job of supporting this franchise.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Basically "wanted to know" why every time she travels to St. Louis "everyone hates the Rams." She asked some Charger fans apparently about their team possibly moving, and they're devastated at the notion, but we "don't care." Said no one mentioned their absolutely abysmal baseball team when she asked them about their football team. Don't really know why that was thrown in there, but I'd imagine it has something to do with us being "only a baseball town."

I am slightly surprised that the Padres aren't a big thing there recently after their strong showing last year (and every year.) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/s...-offense-may-go-down-as-worst-ever-.html?_r=0

So that was on the Chargers message board, correct? Man, she is two faced.

bluecoconuts

Legend
This is intresting. He's going to make a shitload of money by advertising if the roof is like a giant billboard. That's insane.

Why does a Southern California stadium need a roof? Aside from the fact an enclosed venue can play host to a wider range of events, a covering gives Kroenke the ability to create the world's biggest billboard, one visible to the more than 35 million travelers who fly into and out of L.A. each year. Images or animations could be projected onto the roof, instead of being permanent fixtures. Plans call for a sail-shaped roof structure that's twice as big as the stadium and shelters the football field, the adjacent 6,000-seat performing arts venue and the "Champions Plaza" in between. HKS is studying perforated metal panels and the mottled shadow patterns those cast on the ground like sunlight through a tree. The playing surface would be artificial turf.

That's actually very smart. It also helps keep noise down, so the concerns that the air traffic would disrupt fan experience is even less.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
That's actually very smart. It also helps keep noise down, so the concerns that the air traffic would disrupt fan experience is even less.
What's even more brilliant is that since the roof is clear he won't have to pay as much as money for lighting inside. That's just speculation on my part and since the sides are open maybe he won't spend as much money for the AC since the weather is usually warm and the air flow inside the stadium will be enough to keep it nice and cool. This stadium will be a cash cash cow if it's built. As far as any nfl team that plays in it and doesn't sell tickets as people assume thats the case. It won't matter. A stadium like this in LA will get a ton of events throughout the year. I hope it gets built. Its beautiful. The more I stare at the pics the more I buy in.

bluecoconuts

Legend
What's even more brilliant is that since the roof is clear he won't have to pay as much as money for lighting inside. That's just speculation on my part and since the sides are open maybe he won't spend as much money for the AC since the weather is usually warm and the air flow inside the stadium will be enough to keep it nice and cool. This stadium will be a cash cash cow if it's built. As far as any nfl team that plays in it and doesn't sell tickets as people assume thats the case. It won't matter. A stadium like this in LA will get a ton of events throughout the year. I hope it gets built. Its beautiful. The more I stare at the pics the more I buy in.

It might also be cheaper to cool due to being set into the ground. I remember the City of Industry project being sunk into the ground in order to make it 'greener". It was easier to cool, which would likely be the case here as well. It seems very smartly designed, I'm interested in knowing more details, but it's hard to not be impressed thus far. There's still likely small tweaks to be made, but I don't think we'll see any major changes.

I would like to know what they'll do for a scoreboard though, while having the little wave thing is cool, it's similar to what they do at Staples. however I feel you still need some sort of scoreboard and HD video screen. I'm sure it's there somewhere though.

Big Willie

Starter
Is this process over yet? The constant barrage of will they move or won't they from the national and local media is getting tiresome. All major sports should be set up where states/cities have a financial interest in the team's located in their areas. Outright ownership, maybe not, but a vested interest in the success, failures, and financial windfall so there is an inherent desire to keep stadiums relevant and ownership/management accountable for the product they offer. Works for the Packers....

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
It might also be cheaper to cool due to being set into the ground. I remember the City of Industry project being sunk into the ground in order to make it 'greener". It was easier to cool, which would likely be the case here as well. It seems very smartly designed, I'm interested in knowing more details, but it's hard to not be impressed thus far. There's still likely small tweaks to be made, but I don't think we'll see any major changes.

I would like to know what they'll do for a scoreboard though, while having the little wave thing is cool, it's similar to what they do at Staples. however I feel you still need some sort of scoreboard and HD video screen. I'm sure it's there somewhere though.

I hadn't thought or heard about that. Wow that is smart. That much into the ground It will definitely keep it cooler.
Tbh planes on top or not they would still sink it into the ground. Ok think about it. There's going to be apartments,condos housing offices etc. People looking out side the from the balcony. The view won't be blocked Bc the stadium is so low profiled. Its not this giant structure in front of you. While you're walking outside the view from the openings on the sides will be beautiful Bc all those light banners will probably be on at nights and it'll be glowing. Its an 80,000 seat stadium but it does not look like it from the outside.
As far as the score board idk. It's hard to say Bc there's no video or graphics. I think the part by the end zone where the ribbon gets wide and big. Will be enough for replays and the score. Idk I've never seen it in action and I haven't seen something like this before. There is so many ribbons you would think the info would be perfect for everyone to see.
If you look closely the upper deck is facing the big ribbon on top. It might be viewable from both sides. Which is also brilliant. There's so many ribbons that who ever plays in it will be just like they're playing in there stadium. If it's the raiders its gnna be all black. I think if stan does move the Rams it's not going to be Rams logos and Rams logs physically structured. It's going to be lights TV projections etc. It's a multi use facility. It's brilliant as far as hosting as many events as possible.

Also since it's a clear roof and the stadium inside and outside is white. I think that should also help keep it cool. Which is another fantastic idea. Its similar to the Getty museum.

Last edited:

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The renderings look amazing. That would be a top 5 stadium in the NFL easily IMO. Wherever the Rams call home, I'd like it to be as nice as these renderings. I just want a world class facility for the Rams to call home.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is exactly what I was saying about her when she showed up here about a month ago. She had some very, very bad things to say about the city of St. Louis on that board. She even bad mouthed this board on that same site, RamFan503. I'm not going to say I am glad that she was banned as she was ok here, but I just felt she was being a bit two faced.

lol yeah, and I had to link that board here too sorry. She post there because, "She can't find a good Rams board." Probably has nothing to do with her attitude. Used to have some great things to say about Bradford too. I don't really care if she stays or goes to be honest. If she would've asked a question she really wanted answered, then I would've answered it. She's just trying to elicit a response.

Yeah guys - I say it all the time. I don't really visit these other sites so I generally only view what members post here. And when I do, I'm not doing it in context of what they may have posted elsewhere. I'm kind of the clean slate guy as I honestly don't know about the history behind certain members. I left posting on other boards when Paulie built this board.

That being said, there is no way in hell I could give her (?) a pass after reading what she has been posting about the fans in St Louis.

Now - back to the discussion at hand and Go RAMS!!!

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
This would be the first state of the art stadium the Rams have ever had. The Coliseum was nice due to it's size and legacy, but state of the art,, hardly.
GF left LA because a deal couldn't get struck 20 years ago. Pinch me if this happens because I've wanted a better stadium since CR/GF took the Rams to Anaheim.
This is better than the league could have ever dreamed of to solve the LA stadium problem. 2 team capable too. I cannot see how they could even consider this a plan 'B'.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
In 15-20 when new stadiums get built they would look like this. This stadium is future proof at least 45-50 years. The Falcons and Vikings stadium look futuristic also.

I think that might be a bit of a stretch. I understand what you are say but I don't like the look of those stadiums either. I know it comes down to personal taste but I think you can design a stadium so that it doesn't look like a spaceship.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
That's how the new stadiums are being designed and built. Previous it was all about simple, just outdoors and a bowl, over the years they've gotten increasingly complex. Look at Dallas, Indy, Atlanta, Minneapolis. A big flashy stadium for a big flashy city. Plus it's more than a football stadium, it's a big entertainment venue. Makes sense for the design to be "go big or go home."

Indy still has a classic look to it without being overly modern. I think that is proof in itself that you don't have to go futuristic and accomplish and entertainment venue. Personally I don't like the look of those other stadiums at all I think they are an eye sore.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think that might be a bit of a stretch. I understand what you are say but I don't like the look of those stadiums either. I know it comes down to personal taste but I think you can design a stadium so that it doesn't look like a spaceship.

Squidward-Freaking-Out-About-The-Future-On-spongebob-Squarepants.gif

But really, it's a stadium that fits LA, glitz and glamour. It's like Staples Center, it's not just about the experience on the field, it's the total package. It's how you get the new fan in today's age of sports.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I love the ideas in the LA Stadium concept. The clear roof covering not only the stadium but the concourse and the other concert venue is a great idea. The open sides will allow the breeze to flow through giving it more of a dry tropical feel. The sunken field will allow it to look more like a plaza and less like a monstrosity. That the stadium is a planned development designed to go along with its surroundings rather than having an area leveled to allow for it.

What I don't get is why in the hell in Southern California we are talking about ARTIFICIAL FREAKING TURF! They could install subsurface irrigation and from waste water and have a real ecofriendly grass field.

Status
Not open for further replies.