New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I never said he was! In my post that started this, I said both Reeder and Rozeboom were "NO WORLD BEATERS" but they have filled in nicely. So...I'm not saying they've done great, anyone can see that's not the case. They've been adequate.
I think you meant inadequate :)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it is...it's called time. This is the guys 5th year...much of it on special teams. Now...please note I said the guy is no world beater. He's starting because Jones overplayed his hand, which sent him packing. Somewhere down the line this season we'll see if he's any better. He's a guy the Rams really kept around to play special teams and fill in at LB spots. The more you see things the better you react to what you see. Now he's thrust into a starter roll as a fill in primarily. I still conclude he's "held his own".
I disagree. He played a lot last year. Starter or sub he’s seen enough to not be reacting quickly to what’s in front of him.

Tano

Legend
No. Roozeboom had 5 starts last year and played in 17 games...those are the facts. Furthermore last year was his most productive year and he was 4th on the team in tackles.

Semantics

Rozeboom played the majority of all 17 games. That might as well be starter category, even if he wasn't in the game on the first defensive play.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
For anyone interested ...

Rozeboom played on 49% of the Rams' defensive snaps last year.

By comparison, Ernest Jones was in on 93%; and Reeder just 17%.

This year, through three games, Rozeboom has played on 77% of the defensive snaps; and ... God Help Us ... Reeder has been in on 99% of the Rams' total defensive snaps.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This would be great if they could only tackle.
Much of that is determined by your rush discipline.

If you have all your front in their rush lanes without moving too much laterally, crushing the pocket as a group, then the real estate for the QB is contained and it's easier for the reach to get a piece of QB. And then even if the QB bails from the pocket he has to run backwards and around the edges to escape. It is hard to do that and complete passes. Some elite types can, going back like Elway used to do the shit out of that with his arm and Mahomes and some others do it now but it's risky and difficult and often by the time the QB gets the mental decision to bail out it's too late. If those lanes are intact.

Our front was a bunch of guys doing their own BS for two games. Didn't see any discipline until game three vs SF and they got control of the game defensively. They were quite good vs SF, and if they hadn't been Purdy would have fucked us up.

So if the discipline continues then I think we're gonna see them finish a lot more.

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
in a season has any team that has a 31st defensive ranking after 3 games able to improve and how much. anyone? I'll do some re and see what I can find. go rams!

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
in a season has any team that has a 31st defensive ranking after 3 games able to improve and how much. anyone? I'll do some re and see what I can find. go rams!
I was intrigued with the question. Here is what I found.

2023 season

Chicago was ranked 31st after the first 3 weeks. They ended the season ranked 19th.

2022 season

The Chargers were 30th after the first 3 weeks. They ended the season ranked 23rd.
The Titans went from 29th to 12th.
Washington went from 28th to 8th.
The Jets went from tied at 26 to 2nd.

RamWoodie

Legend
Well Woodie adequate is not good enough if you're building a championship defense.
True...but given how things went down with Jones, what could you do. My take is that the staff decided that both Reeder and Rozeboom will get better or they would have went shopping. They still may go shopping.

Building a championship defense requires money. I would assume the Rams can't afford that or things would be different.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
True...but given how things went down with Jones, what could you do. My take is that the staff decided that both Reeder and Rozeboom will get better or they would have went shopping. They still may go shopping.

Building a championship defense requires money. I would assume the Rams can't afford that or things would be different.
I think at this point the staff knows who Reeder and Rozeboom are. Reeder has been around several years. I think it’s more likely that they felt they could win with them despite their limitations.

Plus we’ve seen in the past that McVay loves his hardworking and intelligent players. He stuck with Wolford for too long for example.

Now, will they play better if the defense starts to gel and stops making mistakes, or the DLine settles down and plays better? Sure, but that is more a part of the whole and less of the individual. Thats is likely what the coaches expect to happen. I don’t know what went on with Jones, but I wish he was still a Ram.

RamWoodie

Legend
Semantics

Rozeboom played the majority of all 17 games. That might as well be starter category, even if he wasn't in the game on the first defensive play.
Semantics? I would venture you checked, found what I said was factual...so now you you want to minimize. Now...keeping in mind NO ONE has said Rozeboom or Reeder are good as starters, what's the point? McVay has made no moves...so they'll be starters against the Bears.

I pointed out last year was Rozeboom's best year finishing 4 overall in tackles. Ramstien responded wanting to know the impact of those tackles. Bottom line is no one thinks Rozeboom is starter level and nor is Reeder. Both guys are starting though and that's where we are. I think both have held their own...and have improved. Lastly, whats to quarrel about? We gotta live with it for the time being.

IT IS...WHAT IT IS!!!

Last edited:

RamWoodie

Legend
I think at this point the staff knows who Reeder and Rozeboom are. Reeder has been around several years. I think it’s more likely that they felt they could win with them despite their limitations.

Plus we’ve seen in the past that McVay loves his hardworking and intelligent players. He stuck with Wolford for too long for example.

Now, will they play better if the defense starts to gel and stops making mistakes, or the DLine settles down and plays better? Sure, but that is more a part of the whole and less of the individual. Thats is likely what the coaches expect to happen. I don’t know what went on with Jones, but I wish he was still a Ram.
So do I wish Jones was here...but what we have is Reeder and Rozeboom, and there are starting LBs worse than both.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So do I wish Jones was here...but what we have is Reeder and Rozeboom, and there are starting LBs worse than both.
There are? I doubt either starts on any other team in the league.

But yeah. It’s who we are stuck with. I still would like a chance to see Speights get some snaps. The Rams are struggling with too many injuries for me to expect a blow out and see the second string LBer to get some snaps on Defense.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Williams has been sacked 13 times in 3 games. This is the game where the front starts getting home. Our Front is loaded with speed in Verse, Young, Fiske, and Turner. I see 5 sacks in this game.

Tano

Legend
Semantics? I would venture you checked, found what I said was factual...so now you you want to minimize. Now...keeping in mind NO ONE has said Rozeboom or Reeder are good as starters, what's the point? McVay has made no moves...so they'll be starters against the Bears.

I pointed out last year was Rozeboom's best year finishing 4 overall in tackles. Ramstien responded wanting to know the impact of those tackles. Bottom line is no one thinks Rozeboom is starter level and nor is Reeder. Both guys are starting though and that's where we are. I think both have held their own...and have improved. Lastly, whats to quarrel about? We gotta live with it for the time being.

IT IS...WHAT IT IS!!!
He played 49% of all snaps so it is close enough to almost half of all plays that he was basically a starter that was probably taken out on 2nd and 3rd and long distances.

dang

Legend
Roseboom seems to take a long time to diagnose a play and make a move. He’s not quick enough for a delayed reaction. One poster described it as having his feet in concrete. I watched the game again to see and I agree. That’s a mental process and synapse. I don’t think that is a fixable problem.
Rozeboom seems to shadow Reeder too much. Hes always one step behind and to the side of Reeder. Not a good strategy since Reeder is often Tardy to the Party and moves like his feeet are in concrete. Rozeboom needs to find his own space and defend it.