New Defense - Ongoing season discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Biggest developments we need on defense over the next few weeks...

:helmet: Fiske improving vs the run. And it's not just Fiske, lot of improvement to be had, but he's important because him and Turner are our rush on the interior.

:helmet: Getting Speights on the field. Would like to see Hummel too but baby steps. Speights for Rozeboom should be soon.

:helmet: Sorting this secondary. There's talent but shit's a mess across the board. These guys dodged a huge bullet with that final dropped pass vs SF.

sloramfan

Starter
im sorry guys but all this talk about speights getting on the field....

it ain't happening...until it does...

until he proves he is better than reeder/roseboom...

our coaches are not sandbagging...

if he was the better option he would be playing...

stop posting like you know better than the people who really know...

its like the kendricks argument... he plays because he's the better option....PERIOD

so get over it all you know it alls...

go rams

slo

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler

its like the kendricks argument... he plays because he's the better option....PERIOD

go rams

slo

The irony of this post is almost too much.... :)

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
Biggest developments we need on defense over the next few weeks...

:helmet: Fiske improving vs the run. And it's not just Fiske, lot of improvement to be had, but he's important because him and Turner are our rush on the interior.

:helmet: Getting Speights on the field. Would like to see Hummel too but baby steps. Speights for Rozeboom should be soon.

:helmet: Sorting this secondary. There's talent but shit's a mess across the board. These guys dodged a huge bullet with that final dropped pass vs SF.
I hope getting DW helps the secondary . Tre has been horrible. I would go with Durant + DW and bench Tre . The safeties ( lake + Curl ) are supposed to be a VERY good safety duo but it hasn't, so far . They are slow to react , always late and constantly torched. Not much help in the run game either.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah I'm good. I come here to share my opinion and read the opinions of other fans. And I've been a fan long enough to know that coaches don't get everything right. Even the best of them.

But feel free to ignore me.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Those kinds of players aren't readily available or cheap.

Not sure why the Rams do not invest in good line backers.
Because the LBs aren’t shit without a solid DL to protect them.
The Rams DL outplayed the 9ers DL.
So…Reeder exceeded expectations and had a good game. Warner did not wreck the game as usual and was noticeably knocked out of critical run plays.

Advantage Rams.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

We Rams' fans are very lucky right now. The Rams have a top Organization.

An owner (Kroenke) who spends $ but allows his Football People make the football decisions. A quality businessman (Demoff) who runs the business part of the Organization. A goofy but quality GM (Snead). And, most importantly IMO, a great Head Coach (McVay) who I would not trade for any other current NFL coach.

Questions / Answers
Confidence in them? / You Bet!
Benefit-of-a-Doubt in their Decision Making? / Absolutely!
Optimism for both the short-term and long-term future. / Emphatically YES!

Blind Trust in ALL their Decisions? / NO!
... no one deserves that because everyone ... even the very best ... makes mistakes

Do you remember Allen Robinson?

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
https://www.therams.com/news/5-inte...ch-catch-rams-pressure-purdy-without-blitzing

The Rams pressured Brock Purdy on 47.4% of his dropbacks, the seventh-highest rate in a single game this season

The Rams blitzed 15.8% of the time, which was the 16th-lowest rate of the season. Only one team that blitzed at a lower rate has generated as much pressure as the Rams did on Sunday. That's thanks to strong showings from the outside linebackers Byron Young and Jared Verse, as well as interior defensive linemen Braden Fiske and Kobie Turner. All four of them generated at least three pressures on Sunday.

Fiske created a whopping six pressures on the day (a career high), and added a fumble recovery for good measure. Meanwhile, Turner tallied four pressures, while Young and Verse each got three. It was a complete performance from the entire defensive line, something the Rams hadn't yet had this season. That led to another first for the 2024 Rams – a win.

Memphis Ram

Legend

go rams

slo
There are times when an injury to a starter uncovers a gem already on the roster.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams ever get to play with a lead we might get to see Speights or even some other new guys get a chance to play.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Let's give the OL some props! AJ's first game back he held his own against a quality pass rusher. As a matter of fact, I only remember Bosa's name called once. Also, I felt like Limmer held his own and will only improve with more playing time. The right side of the line opened some nice running lanes and Bruss showed well. It's nice to have Havenstein back and Doston had a nice game.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Let's give the OL some props! AJ's first game back he held his own against a quality pass rusher. As a matter of fact, I only remember Bosa's name called once. Also, I felt like Limmer held his own and will only improve with more playing time. The right side of the line opened some nice running lanes and Bruss showed well. It's nice to have Havenstein back and Doston had a nice game.
AJ looked really strong out there and I think having him back made a huge difference.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.therams.com/news/5-inte...ch-catch-rams-pressure-purdy-without-blitzing

The Rams pressured Brock Purdy on 47.4% of his dropbacks, the seventh-highest rate in a single game this season

The Rams blitzed 15.8% of the time, which was the 16th-lowest rate of the season. Only one team that blitzed at a lower rate has generated as much pressure as the Rams did on Sunday. That's thanks to strong showings from the outside linebackers Byron Young and Jared Verse, as well as interior defensive linemen Braden Fiske and Kobie Turner. All four of them generated at least three pressures on Sunday.

Fiske created a whopping six pressures on the day (a career high), and added a fumble recovery for good measure. Meanwhile, Turner tallied four pressures, while Young and Verse each got three. It was a complete performance from the entire defensive line, something the Rams hadn't yet had this season. That led to another first for the 2024 Rams – a win.
Yep. We have a pass rush. No doubt about it. It is a very good development, as that is the most important element.

Kepp working that run game. Fiske will get there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Good play by Davis here (Brown with the assist). Looks like they played 6-1 quite a bit this game.

It’s about time. The 6-1 is an effective defense in the right situation. I prefer versatility, just like McVay finally playing 12 personnel. Being static and predictable sometimes plays into an opponents hands. We saw it in 2018 far too much
Not sure what that has to do with it. Do you have problems saying Kobie Turner? Braden Fiske??
I prefer the Hispanic announcers version of Tutu: Dos dos.

go rams

slo
We’ve seen in the past where better options are held back for one reason or another. Last year McVay gave Robinson a shot over Tutu with great success. Robinson was a league leader in separation last year. Coaches aren’t always right.

I hope getting DW helps the secondary . Tre has been horrible. I would go with Durant + DW and bench Tre . The safeties ( lake + Curl ) are supposed to be a VERY good safety duo but it hasn't, so far . They are slow to react , always late and constantly torched. Not much help in the run game either.
Tre played better against the 49ers. He’s coming back from injury. His experience/knowledge make him a better option than Durant. I would t give up on him yet.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

View: https://x.com/BaldyNFL/status/1838265733798650319

Dudes gotta work on contain cause major breakdowns in SF game but he's only gonna get better.

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

All I was reading from Rams fans was that we couldn't create pressures. Baldy seems to disagree.

View: https://x.com/BaldyNFL/status/1838265733798650319

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Kingpin but you gotta earn that shit. Let him get his game in order to where he's playing both run and pass at a high level first.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
We Rams' fans are very lucky right now. The Rams have a top Organization.

An owner (Kroenke) who spends $ but allows his Football People make the football decisions. A quality businessman (Demoff) who runs the business part of the Organization. A goofy but quality GM (Snead). And, most importantly IMO, a great Head Coach (McVay) who I would not trade for any other current NFL coach.

Questions / Answers
Confidence in them? / You Bet!
Benefit-of-a-Doubt in their Decision Making? / Absolutely!
Optimism for both the short-term and long-term future. / Emphatically YES!

Blind Trust in ALL their Decisions? / NO!
... no one deserves that because everyone ... even the very best ... makes mistakes

Do you remember Allen Robinson?
Bobby Evans , trading EJ for a bag of chips , extending noteboom and paying him all that money , the signing of Jonah Jackson is also proving to be a bad one . Dude was always hurt on detroit and can't run block . Tre white signing is also proving to be a bad one. He is totally washed up. This FO made tons of mistakes . They are not perfect , nobody is . I support them but I don't have to agree with every decision the make .

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like Kingpin but you gotta earn that shit. Let him get his game in order to where he's playing both run and pass at a high level first.

I feel that Fiske will earn it. That's why I'm confident in the nickname and in the front. If Tyler Davis gets more reps, he'll improve as well. Same with Verse and his contain; he'll work on it, and he'll get better.