My Assessment Of The Last 3 Games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Whether or not a QB sneak was the better call, it has nothing to do with how the OL performed on that play. Or during the last 4 weeks for that matter. This is why other teams think we are soft. It's just about being physical. We are very rarely ever the more physical team when we are a playing against a playoff caliber opponent.

Oh, I don't disagree with your point at all, just noting that the QB sneak was there for the taking. If anything, that reinforces your point.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Whether or not a QB sneak was the better call, it has nothing to do with how the OL performed on that play. Or during the last 4 weeks for that matter. This is why other teams think we are soft. It's just about being physical. We are very rarely ever the more physical team when we are a playing against a playoff caliber opponent.
McVay and Snead's Atwell/Creed Blunder really underscores what a weird blind spot they have in this area.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What is this everyone's mission here? To prove me wrong b/c I'm seeing things differently? I didn't even WANT to debate this in the first place. I don't care about the other games related to this one. I just don't. I posted my opinion and wasn't replying to anyone specifically in either thread. Plain and simple. Then you guys started sarcastically hahaing because of it.

Did he not throw 3 TDs to Van, OBJ, and Darrell? Did he not get a fantastic 2 pt play to Cooper? Is my evidence somehow less than yours? Again the whole point was he wasn't the reason for the L. I am NOT wrong b/c I'm seeing it differently than you and I still think that blaming MS for this game is ridiculous. Call it blind faith or whatever cliche you want, it doesn't matter to me.

And no, people don't like my viewpoints from your crowd and I can tell by your sarcastic hahas. It's been going on for a while and I even PMd you about it a while back. But no, you just don't like it and continue to do so. Whatever, go ahead now. I don't care anymore.

Your conflating opinion and fact and that's easy because facts (hopefully) inform our opinions.

It's one thing to be strident in one's opinions. We do that here all the time. I know I sure do.

However, there are times when irrefutable fact obviates an opinion. When confronted with that scenario... as we all have been multiple times in our lives... we can incorporate the data or simply hold on to an opinion UNMOORED by facts. At that point, one has to simply acknowledge something along the lines of "I know this isn't right, but I still feel this way" and then... nothing more than "oh well" and folks move on.

I mean, if I held the position that the pick 6 only serves to make Stafford focus more and THAT is what led him to throw the 3 TDs... well, that has no basis in any kind of reality or fact... and yet, if I feel that way be it projection or some sort of fallacious reasoning, then while it's real for me, it's in no way "real" in any sense that would affect any other person.

And we ALL hold some kind of opinion like that.

What doesn't make any sense is pushing back on the data.

Heck, there are times when someone will post an analysis based on the All 22 and expert knowledge of a scheme and I'll still say "it really felt like Player X just sucked on that play". I'd be wrong, but I still feel the way I feel. The important thing is that how I feel does not in any way change the facts or the data.

I hope that makes sense. I'm in no space to argue with anyone and only reason I'm back is that I cleared away so much time and emotional clutter for the NFL this season that I don't have many other distractions, so I'm mostly just doing easy posts.

This one felt worth the stretch, but it's as far as I go. Hope I was helpful. If not, sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
McVay and Snead's Atwell/Creed Blunder really underscores what a weird blind spot they have in this area.

The problem with the Creed stuff is that Allen was playing very well prior to his injury... enough so that we didn't miss not having Creed.

We'd be saying the same thing about Creed if he was battling an elbow and giving up pressures.

The bigger issue is that while it's McVay's top priority to scheme guys properly, he doesn't seem to take enough of where they're ACTUALLY at into enough account. So, he puts injured guys into really tough spots and then it just looks like they're playing like shit when it's really a matter of McVay not helping his players out, especially when they're banged up.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
What is this everyone's mission here? To prove me wrong b/c I'm seeing things differently? I didn't even WANT to debate this in the first place. I don't care about the other games related to this one. I just don't. I posted my opinion and wasn't replying to anyone specifically in either thread. Plain and simple. Then you guys started sarcastically hahaing because of it.

Did he not throw 3 TDs to Van, OBJ, and Darrell? Did he not get a fantastic 2 pt play to Cooper? Is my evidence somehow less than yours? Again the whole point was he wasn't the reason for the L. I am NOT wrong b/c I'm seeing it differently than you and I still think that blaming MS for this game is ridiculous. Call it blind faith or whatever cliche you want, it doesn't matter to me.

And no, people don't like my viewpoints from your crowd and I can tell by your sarcastic hahas. It's been going on for a while and I even PMd you about it a while back. But no, you just don't like it and continue to do so. Whatever, go ahead now. I don't care anymore.
A fellow poster just showed you statistics backed with over 1000 games of data that clearly shows if your qb throws a pick 6 the odds of you losing that game is almost 80% and our qb not only threw a pick 6 (for the 3rd game in a row) he fumbled in our red zone to boot which further increases the odds of us losing. Yet your here trying to say he's wasn't the primary reason we lost while using his 3 touchdown as your evidence to why it's not on the qb? It's no coincidence that the games he threw a pick 6 the rams lost. Blind faith is a understatement for that opinion.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The problem with the Creed stuff is that Allen was playing very well prior to his injury... enough so that we didn't miss not having Creed.

We'd be saying the same thing about Creed if he was battling an elbow and giving up pressures.

The bigger issue is that while it's McVay's top priority to scheme guys properly, he doesn't seem to take enough of where they're ACTUALLY at into enough account. So, he puts injured guys into really tough spots and then it just looks like they're playing like shit when it's really a matter of McVay not helping his players out, especially when they're banged up.
I think the Creed problem is about more than Creed… it’s about roster priorities.
And I think it’s fair to question if the Rams have their priorities straight right now.

Shuie3225

Starter
But how is the blind spot even possible is what I dont get? McVay saw what happened in the SB. He saw 2019. Why in the world would he ever allow the OL to be anything but great?? We already signed DJax in the off-season as the 4th WR.. THEN you decide to draft Tutu!?? After spending a 2nd the year before on Van!? It's just so unbelievably baffling. And I think the only answer to why we dont prioritize OL, is because McVay feels with his genius mind, he can scheme them to be better than they really are. That his playcalling and system can hide their deficiencies. How long does it take for him to realize hes wrong and he cant!??? Its so fucking infuriating.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think the Creed problem is about more than Creed… it’s about roster priorities.
And I think it’s fair to question if the Rams have their priorities straight right now.

I suppose, but if Allen were healthy and hadn't given up those sacks in bunches against very good defensive lines, would we still be having this convo?

We sure weren't having it when we were 7-1 before he got injured and he was our top rated OL by a LOT against the Packers.

But yeah, they sorta been cheaping out on the OL as this offense was built to run and play action and make the defense confused with a gazillion plays from the same 11 personnel package.

I will agree with you that if McVay knew in January that they were gonna be a drop back team like we are, then yes, they should have put more priority on the OL specifically to hold longer.

When Coach B builds an OL, they get guys who can do a job in their scheme which prioritizes short passes. They always had very good units, but whenever a guy left and got paid, they didn't pan out. Why? They weren't as good as the OL scheme and offensive scheme as a whole and their skills didn't translate to other schemes.

If this is our new offense with Stafford, then yeah, they need to pick players to fit the scheme and that starts on the OL.

Thing is that I hate this scheme and wish like hell they'd go back to using the play action. It's such low hanging fruit.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I suppose, but if Allen were healthy and hadn't given up those sacks in bunches against very good defensive lines, would we still be having this convo?

We sure weren't having it when we were 7-1 before he got injured and he was our top rated OL by a LOT against the Packers.

But yeah, they sorta been cheaping out on the OL as this offense was built to run and play action and make the defense confused with a gazillion plays from the same 11 personnel package.

I will agree with you that if McVay knew in January that they were gonna be a drop back team like we are, then yes, they should have put more priority on the OL specifically to hold longer.

When Coach B builds an OL, they get guys who can do a job in their scheme which prioritizes short passes. They always had very good units, but whenever a guy left and got paid, they didn't pan out. Why? They weren't as good as the OL scheme and offensive scheme as a whole and their skills didn't translate to other schemes.

If this is our new offense with Stafford, then yeah, they need to pick players to fit the scheme and that starts on the OL.

Thing is that I hate this scheme and wish like hell they'd go back to using the play action. It's such low hanging fruit.

I watched the first to plays against Green Bay. Both handoffs to Henderson & Stafford could barely keep his feet. I think his legs(core) ,bottom is weak.

Don’t know who coach B is ?

HENDO has a quad injury ? Sony will be called to step up.I’m not sure if you were talking about Morris’s dink & dunk defense? I think The Rams just needed to score on the first possession.At least a TD.

Cam Akers getting hurt has had a lot to do with this offense being different. That said, I also think he will be coming back in time.

Tano

Legend
Cam Akers getting hurt has had a lot to do with this offense being different. That said, I also think he will be coming back in time.
I sure hope he can but I am not counting on it.

Although he does look good in those videos.

So positive thinking.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Your conflating opinion and fact and that's easy because facts (hopefully) inform our opinions.

It's one thing to be strident in one's opinions. We do that here all the time. I know I sure do.

However, there are times when irrefutable fact obviates an opinion. When confronted with that scenario... as we all have been multiple times in our lives... we can incorporate the data or simply hold on to an opinion UNMOORED by facts. At that point, one has to simply acknowledge something along the lines of "I know this isn't right, but I still feel this way" and then... nothing more than "oh well" and folks move on.

I mean, if I held the position that the pick 6 only serves to make Stafford focus more and THAT is what led him to throw the 3 TDs... well, that has no basis in any kind of reality or fact... and yet, if I feel that way be it projection or some sort of fallacious reasoning, then while it's real for me, it's in no way "real" in any sense that would affect any other person.

Let's reset here for a second. My whole purpose in this thread and the eventual vent was that MS wasn't "the" or even "a" reason for the L. In this one, it was about STs and the shit starting FP over and over.

I don't know why I have to explain myself over and over the reasons why I think so.

What doesn't make any sense is pushing back on the data.

Here's the thing about football data. It can be all twisted and manipulated. But I don't WANT to get into a debate about that in the first place since it wasn't my purpose to begin with. I only want to focus on what happed @ Green Bay and not a 1000 other games. I didn't deny the facts, I just don't want to get in that world on THIS game, because what I saw, was different and that MS was a reason the game was even competitive.

I hope that makes sense. I'm in no space to argue with anyone and only reason I'm back is that I cleared away so much time and emotional clutter for the NFL this season that I don't have many other distractions, so I'm mostly just doing easy posts.

You and I both bro. Anyone want to argue about STs???

A fellow poster just showed you statistics backed with over 1000 games of data that clearly shows if your qb throws a pick 6 the odds of you losing that game is almost 80% and our qb not only threw a pick 6 (for the 3rd game in a row) he fumbled in our red zone to boot which further increases the odds of us losing. Yet your here trying to say he's wasn't the primary reason we lost while using his 3 touchdown as your evidence to why it's not on the qb? It's no coincidence that the games he threw a pick 6 the rams lost. Blind faith is a understatement for that opinion.

That is correct. I literally pointed out the vortex in my very first post: crap starting FP, for ST stuffed on 1st and 2nd down, obv 3rd and long. Remember, it was YOU that replied to me first here on my take on the QB. Why didn't you question my take on D? It's because for months you and I have butted heads (and butted heads is putting it VERY lightly) on the QBs. Besides, I didn't say either were good or bad, just...fine.

For the millionth time, this is MY view on the Green Bay game that happened on 11/28/21 only, because despite the damn TOs he still played well enough to give the team a chance going into the 4th (a 10/11 pt game is very common). That's why I don't think he was the reason and why I think blaming him is ridiculous. I am NOT getting into a historical stat debate.

That's all it is. It's not me trying to show that I'm right or whatever bullshit.

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
For all the people complaining on the QB (ridiculous) and the D (only somewhat warranted), the biggest issue is STs. Forget the fumble for a sec, that one punt where CK couldn't field it and pinned them @ the 1 down 11 sealed it. It wasn't any good. The starting FP is terrible every drive, even on KOs. So you do end up having to run to get "breathing room" within the 20, only to be in those 3rd and longs like you said. It becomes ground hog day b/c you see the same situations over and over again.

So yeah, I'm not worried about the O and D. They were fine (not terrible not great, just fine) STs put both units in terrible positions.
I agree with you. The offense and defense is correctable but there is no answer for us on ST.

I have never seen a special teams unit this bad at any level of football. If we had kneeled in the endzone and fair-caught every kickoff/punt this season, we would have a better net starting field position than what we have currently.

Angry Ram

I agree with you.

I got one!

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

The offense and defense is correctable but there is no answer for us on ST.

I have never seen a special teams unit this bad at any level of football. If we had kneeled in the endzone and fair-caught every kickoff/punt this season, we would have a better net starting field position than what we have currently.

Exactly. I'm sick of seeing them start inside the 20. Now I know how other team's felt when Johnny/Greg did that to them.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I guess the point is that a pick six makes winning VERY difficult. It means that two teams being equal, if one throws a pick six, no matter how many plays each team makes, there's a 20% chance of winning. That's a ridiculous advantage.

Did MS make plays?

Yes. The context of that also matters. We got defensive stops in the second half because GB decommitted from their full offense and went to "running out the clock" mode. I don't call that stat padding, but continuing to play while the other team isn't going 100%. Had our D made an extra play or two, that might have yielded results, but they didn't and the offense wasn't nearly playing well enough overall to get us back in it.

So we don't know how close it would have been if both teams played it 100% from start to end. We just know that the early pick six took our chances of winning from just under 50% to 20%. And even if the Rams overcame that, it just means that they overcame the odds.

Matt Stafford made plays and he also missed on some real layups. We can't ignore how many easy passes he missed. Those were huge.

Also, our Special Teams other than Matt Gay are terrible. I maintain that Hekker is suffering from such poor coverage units that he can't just boom a punt like in years past as we've lost a lot of depth that was used on STs as well as some keys guys like Skowronek got injured.

Matt Stafford wasn't the SOLE reason we lost.

However, the point of NJRamsfan bringing up the data was to point out that short of an extraordinary performance, throwing that pick 6 basically meant that our chance of winning from that point on was very low... and the data matters expressly because it takes into account the chaos theory that makes every game unique.

But we're all talking past one another at this point.

Have a blessed evening everyone.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Let's reset here for a second. My whole purpose in this thread and the eventual vent was that MS wasn't "the" or even "a" reason for the L. In this one, it was about STs and the shit starting FP over and over.

I don't know why I have to explain myself over and over the reasons why I think so.

Here's the thing about football data. It can be all twisted and manipulated. But I don't WANT to get into a debate about that in the first place since it wasn't my purpose to begin with. I only want to focus on what happed @ Green Bay and not a 1000 other games. I didn't deny the facts, I just don't want to get in that world on THIS game, because what I saw, was different and that MS was a reason the game was even competitive.

You and I both bro. Anyone want to argue about STs???

That is correct. I literally pointed out the vortex in my very first post: crap starting FP, for ST stuffed on 1st and 2nd down, obv 3rd and long. Remember, it was YOU that replied to me first here on my take on the QB. Why didn't you question my take on D? It's because for months you and I have butted heads (and butted heads is putting it VERY lightly) on the QBs. Besides, I didn't say either were good or bad, just...fine.

For the millionth time, this is MY view on the Green Bay game that happened on 11/28/21 only, because despite the damn TOs he still played well enough to give the team a chance going into the 4th (a 10/11 pt game is very common). That's why I don't think he was the reason and why I think blaming him is ridiculous. I am NOT getting into a historical stat debate.

That's all it is. It's not me trying to show that I'm right or whatever bullshit.
The reason I didn't question your take on the d or ST (both have sucked imo) is because neither unit have anything to do with Stafford literally giving the other teams points for the 3rd straight game all of which were loses. Idc if the game was competitive or not the only thing I care about Is the w/l column and those points he gave the other team were the biggest factor to why we lost the previous 3 games. I'm not gonna thank somebody for putting me in a hole unless they get me out the hole and Stafford hasn't done that. He's hurting his team with his shit play and it's needs to improve or making the playoffs is a fucking pipe dream. The rams didn't mortgage the future for this shit and that's the bottom line.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
My assessment was to post the poop emoji but like this defense and offense, I couldn't figure out how to make the necessary adjustments

Angry Ram

The reason I didn't question your take on the d or ST (both have sucked imo) is because neither unit have anything to do with Stafford literally giving the other teams points for the 3rd straight game all of which were loses. Idc if the game was competitive or not the only thing I care about Is the w/l column and those points he gave the other team were the biggest factor to why we lost the previous 3 games. I'm not gonna thank somebody for putting me in a hole unless they get me out the hole and Stafford hasn't done that. He's hurting his team with his shit play and it's needs to improve or making the playoffs is a fucking pipe dream. The rams didn't mortgage the future for this shit and that's the bottom line.

I'm done here man.

tumblr_pklrbnneCh1uhh267o1_540.gifv

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

What pisses me off is the walkthrough the last day of the week because it was windy in SoCal. I mean they don't practice physicality in their run blocking for shit and it shows. And btw I get wanting to keep guys healthy. But when you get your ass handed to you two weeks in a row with physical fronts and then face a good Packers defense taking that casual approach is some bullshit.

They could have fucking practiced blocking and tackling. Just saying. Might even have won the game had they prepared for this one like they want the team to play.

And by the way we have guys up front who can be physical. This OL probably is better suited to running the ball in power/duo than anything else. They're being coached to do that shit.