My Assessment Of The Last 3 Games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
So we lost the last three games. It sucks. But when I gave it some thought, it's not because the Rams are soft or weak. I do agree that adjustments need to be made but I think the issues are fixable. It might be too late to get back into the chase for the division now but who knows?

McVay has all but abandoned the play action that was so effective at freezing the linebackers for split second which helps open up passing lanes. Also, it seems like Stafford is always holding the ball wanting to hit the home run. Other teams, especially the whiners and packers were perfectly willing to take what the defense gave them which were 4, 5 and 6 yard gains in front of the Rams soft zone. That's how you get a 15 play or 18 play drive. I can almost predict where the 3rd down pass is going when one of our CBs is lined up ten yards from the receiver on 3rd and 3. It's pitch and catch for Garapolo and Rodgers. It they would just man up, even if we get burned at times, we won't be allowing 15 play drives. At least make them earn their first downs. This is fixable but we keep hitting our heads and wondering why it isn't getting better.

The special teams must pay attention to detail and always prepare for a fake FG or punt. It's burned us too many times. I think Koski needs to go with the fumbleitis.

The offense needs to be patient and take those 5 yards gains at times. Too many times we run and wind up in 2nd and 7 and we try for the home run and end up in 3rd and 7 or get sacked and wind up with 3rd and 15. It's happened too many times and it's been a trend in the last 3 games. And if the offense takes what it can get, we don't get into positions where we wind up turning the ball over. We are -2 in turnovers the last 3 games and there's an NFL metric showing how incredibly hard it is for any teams to overcome a 2 turnover deficit, especially against teams of near equal talent.

That's my rant and 2 cents. I don't know if changes will be made but those are my observations.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
For all the people complaining on the QB (ridiculous) and the D (only somewhat warranted), the biggest issue is STs. Forget the fumble for a sec, that one punt where CK couldn't field it and pinned them @ the 1 down 11 sealed it. It wasn't any good. The starting FP is terrible every drive, even on KOs. So you do end up having to run to get "breathing room" within the 20, only to be in those 3rd and longs like you said. It becomes ground hog day b/c you see the same situations over and over again.

So yeah, I'm not worried about the O and D. They were fine (not terrible not great, just fine) STs put both units in terrible positions.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
For all the people complaining on the QB (ridiculous) and the D (only somewhat warranted), the biggest issue is STs. Forget the fumble for a sec, that one punt where CK couldn't field it and pinned them @ the 1 down 11 sealed it. It wasn't any good. The starting FP is terrible every drive, even on KOs. So you do end up having to run to get "breathing room" within the 20, only to be in those 3rd and longs like you said. It becomes ground hog day b/c you see the same situations over and over again.

So yeah, I'm not worried about the O and D. They were fine (not terrible not great, just fine) STs put both units in terrible positions.
St has been trash tier for awhile now but what does that have to do with the starting qb literally giving the other team points 3 games in a row? Nothing... so calling out the qb is not "ridiculous" when he's hurting the entire team with his play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the last 3 games there's enough blame to go around. And around. :laugh4:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

The offense (and ST fumble) put the Packers in position to score 13 points… before adding 7 on a pick six.

Angry Ram

St has been trash tier for awhile now but what does that have to do with the starting qb literally giving the other team points 3 games in a row? Nothing... so calling out the qb is not "ridiculous" when he's hurting the entire team with his play.

No, its ridiculous. Sorry not sorry. I already made my point in the other thread as to why. Not going down that road against you here.

The offense (and ST fumble) put the Packers in position to score 13 points… before adding 7 on a pick six.

The pick was later. It was a 10 pt game for the majority of the game, mainly b/c of other reasons.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No, its ridiculous. Sorry not sorry. I already made my point in the other thread as to why. Not going down that road against you here.

The pick was later. It was a 10 pt game for the majority of the game, mainly b/c of other reasons.
Lol.. like the 10 points the offense gave up with the fumble & failed 4th try?

Come on.

TexasRam

Legend
1. The offense was 4 of 13 on third downs and gave up yet two turnovers again resulting in points.

2. The Defense did make some plays in this game but still gave up easy third downs due to scheme.

The crazy thing is if 1 or 2 changed above we likely win 2 or 3 of these last 3 games.

We could overcome Stafford's accuracy issues if he played ball control and threw the ball away when nothing was there. But he doesn't.
We could even overcome Stafford's issues if our defense changed their scheme, but we don't.

It's truly a double whammy. Before the special teams issues.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
1. The offense was 4 of 13 on third downs and gave up yet two turnovers again resulting in points.

2. The Defense did make some plays in this game but still gave up easy third downs due to scheme.

The crazy thing is if 1 or 2 changed above we likely win 2 or 3 of these last 3 games.

We could overcome Stafford's accuracy issues if he played ball control and threw the ball away when nothing was there. But he doesn't.
We could even overcome Stafford's issues if our defense changed their scheme, but we don't.

It's truly a double whammy. Before the special teams issues.
The Rams punted 4 times.
The Packers punted 5 times.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Sorry you don't have a point. A qb giving away points 3 games in a row is indefensible and trying to defend such play is just blind faith.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cam Akers
Robert Woods
SJD
...Oh how we miss you

Speaking of missing things...I sure do miss all those long-gone draft picks. God knows how we are gonna adequately re-stock this roster for next season.

Angry Ram

Sorry you don't have a point. A qb giving away points 3 games in a row is indefensible and trying to defend such play is just blind faith.

Nah, I already made my position clear. He wasn't the reason for the L. Period.

Lol.. like the 10 points the offense gave up with the fumble & failed 4th try?

Come on.

Or the 3 TDs he threw and the 2 pt?

Come on.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You guys are arguing about the same things. And arguing about something you have zero control over. If the Rams are playing like crap then I suggest maybe you guys set the game to record and do something else with your afternoons. Life's too short to sit on your ass all Sunday watching a team make the same mistakes over and over and expect different results. Until things change w mcVay and co I won't be watching.

Angry Ram

Blind faith.

Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

Zodi

Hall of Fame
the biggest issue is STs.

What? Dude come on. Stafford's turnovers spotting the opposing team 10+ points over the last three games have been the difference in each game. Even Stafford has pointed that out. I'm not quite sure how someone who's watched every game could even begin to argue otherwise.

I'm not a fan of Morris and his defensive style, but holding the Packers to basically 21 points at home isn't bad at all.

I do prepare to see a fumble anytime anyone other than Kupp is returning a punt, though.

Psycho_X

Legend
This team is built to put points on the board early, play to stop the pass beyond 10 yards, and run the ball in the second half with a lead. It's a formula that McVay has used his whole career. That's why he's undefeated with a lead at halftime. Because when it works... it REALLY fucking works to the toon of undefeated. For three games straight we've self inflicted us into a hole extremely early. Just can't happen.

I know, RUN THE FUCKING BALL everyone screams. But that's not what this team has ever done. Take solace in knowing that if we simply protect the ball better in the first half we are a damn near impossible team to beat. We just have to play smarter in the first quarter. Add in a few special teams "special moments" and you've got a grave you dug yourself and now can't get out of.

This team "except special teams" is actually very good. We just got to figure out that first quarter bullshit.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see 2 games left. that should be a win. (Maybe) and 3 sure fire losses , and 1 toss up. Too many problems to correct, and McVay has yet to show me he can make adjustments.