My Assessment Of The Last 3 Games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
What? Dude come on. Stafford's turnovers spotting the opposing team 10+ points over the last three games have been the difference in each game. Even Stafford has pointed that out. I'm not quite sure how someone who's watched every game could even begin to argue otherwise.

I'm not a fan of Morris and his defensive style, but holding the Packers to basically 21 points at home isn't bad at all.

I do prepare to see a fumble anytime anyone other than Kupp is returning a punt, though.
As I stated in the other thread, we hadn't really stopped the Packers at all on defense in the first 2 1/2 quarters and I doubt we would have stopped the Packers if we had punted the ball instead.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I see 2 games left. that should be a win. (Maybe) and 3 sure fire losses , and 1 toss up. Too many problems to correct, and McVay has yet to show me he can make adjustments.
There are no gimmes for the Rams but Jax and Seattle should be wins. Minny's a toss up. We likely lose to AZ and Balt. We absolutely for sure lose to SF. So that Minny game is the one that will determine if we win 10 games and get in the playoffs. But I don't expect to win a game there. We'll go limping into the playoffs if we make it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rich Hammond is on point and I hope to see some adjustments which can save the season, but if that does not happen, you could see multiple change and maybe even McVay giving up the play calling, but I highly doubt that.

Ellard80

Legend
When you are not playing well in all 3 phases plus turnovers.... you lose in any level of football.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are no gimmes for the Rams but Jax and Seattle should be wins. Minny's a toss up. We likely lose to AZ and Balt. We absolutely for sure lose to SF. So that Minny game is the one that will determine if we win 10 games and get in the playoffs. But I don't expect to win a game there. We'll go limping into the playoffs if we make it.
My thoughts exactly. I had Minneota as a sure loss , and the 49ers as a toss up. 7-1 was a mirage

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Ever notice that when McVay has third and three or so he always calls for the deep ball? Whatever happened to running a bunch set and having a rub route combo that springs a guy open for four yards? The Packers had that same scenario late in the game. Third and three from their 45 or so. They throw a six yard pass (pretty easy when our CB is playing 8 yards off), move the sticks and keep the clock rolling. I'm tired of hearing how McVay is this genius. For me the honeymoon is over. I've seen the same thing happen year after year, game after game. As for Raheem's defense...that's another story. You don't pay Jalen big bucks to play zone all the time.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Ever notice that when McVay has third and three or so he always calls for the deep ball? Whatever happened to running a bunch set and having a rub route combo that springs a guy open for four yards? The Packers had that same scenario late in the game. Third and three from their 45 or so. They throw a six yard pass (pretty easy when our CB is playing 8 yards off), move the sticks and keep the clock rolling. I'm tired of hearing how McVay is this genius. For me the honeymoon is over. I've seen the same thing happen year after year, game after game. As for Raheem's defense...that's another story. You don't pay Jalen big bucks to play zone all the time.
Or, Stafford always takes the deep shot of the 3 or 4 patterns being run.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and it feels like this team is just not good enough to overcome what they've been dealt. It sounds like excuses but they really did take a huge hit with Akers. Woody was also just an enormous hit at the worst time when this offense had just run into physical defenses that beat them up. I mean right out the gate the guy who was expected to ground things and help us navigate our way through the tough defenses on the sched was lost and the impact of it was magnified by the fact we don't have anyone left in the backfield to keep the balance. At least nobody McVay trusts to give carries to which makes it effectively the same.

Look at the pieces of this offense individually... The WR group is ONE deep. Just remove Kupp. Now maybe OBJ helps us, I really hope he does. This OL is not great at pass pro, after a solid start as they hit the better fronts we saw the cracks return. QB might be a guy who can get it done for us but he's pressing and making mistakes and probably still trying to master McVay's offense. RB we have a guy who left the biggest game we lost right in the middle of it (big surprise) due to being dinged up vs Arizona.

Using hindsight everyone wishes we had drafted a Center which is fair. But maybe a RB would have been great too. Either way our top pick looks like an undersized guy who McVay mentioned has to be more serious about the game or whatever which is like the kiss of death. Man I hoped he would show us something but gotta say it looks like a miss.

There's definitely no shame in losing to Green Bay but unfortunately it was a huge game we needed. Now we're definitely in that wildcard group which tbh is not the worst thing in the world. I'm just upset because I had what were apparently unrealistic expectations and really wanted that win.

Re: the sched what matters is that McVay slows his roll first off. Going for it on 4th down on your side of the field early in a big away game vs a playoff opponent I mean c'mon man. That is hubris. You punt the fucking ball and let your defense do their job. I know he doesn't trust the defense and I don't either but you gotta go with that call there. And the same shit we've been talking about has to happen. If you want to settle down your QB fix your balance. This is 101 here. Stafford has the stuff he wants at the position, but he has to adjust the offense to what he is comfortable with and what he can do. If he sees 9 out there making stupid risk throws he has to throttle that shit down. Play within the scheme and let the defense do their thing and we'll see where the team ends up. But the pressing we're seeing, this insistence on deep shots, starts at the top and Stafford doesn't need a coach backing him up on that because he's got bad habits from Detroit already.

One game at a time. Fix the basics. String some wins together. And build on that, I think that's what needs to happen here. We're a wildcard team now and that's if we fix this shit.

jacktheripper85

Starter
This team is built to put points on the board early, play to stop the pass beyond 10 yards, and run the ball in the second half with a lead. It's a formula that McVay has used his whole career. That's why he's undefeated with a lead at halftime. Because when it works... it REALLY fucking works to the toon of undefeated. For three games straight we've self inflicted us into a hole extremely early. Just can't happen.

I know, RUN THE FUCKING BALL everyone screams. But that's not what this team has ever done. Take solace in knowing that if we simply protect the ball better in the first half we are a damn near impossible team to beat. We just have to play smarter in the first quarter. Add in a few special teams "special moments" and you've got a grave you dug yourself and now can't get out of.

This team "except special teams" is actually very good. We just got to figure out that first quarter bullshit.
Nice post and in regards to Special Teams watching Koskie return kickoffs was the best impersonation of Alfalfa doing the same against Butch and his gang.

Tano

Legend
Nice post and in regards to Special Teams watching Koskie return kickoffs was the best impersonation of Alfalfa doing the same against Butch and his gang.
Alfalfa would have done better by singing when he returned the ball. He would have had the other team holding their ears in complete pain.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
tv show riddler GIF