My Assessment Of The Last 3 Games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Yeah and it feels like this team is just not good enough to overcome what they've been dealt. It sounds like excuses but they really did take a huge hit with Akers. Woody was also just an enormous hit at the worst time when this offense had just run into physical defenses that beat them up. I mean right out the gate the guy who was expected to ground things and help us navigate our way through the tough defenses on the sched was lost and the impact of it was magnified by the fact we don't have anyone left in the backfield to keep the balance. At least nobody McVay trusts to give carries to which makes it effectively the same.

Look at the pieces of this offense individually... The WR group is ONE deep. Just remove Kupp. Now maybe OBJ helps us, I really hope he does. This OL is not great at pass pro, after a solid start as they hit the better fronts we saw the cracks return. QB might be a guy who can get it done for us but he's pressing and making mistakes and probably still trying to master McVay's offense. RB we have a guy who left the biggest game we lost right in the middle of it (big surprise) due to being dinged up vs Arizona.

Using hindsight everyone wishes we had drafted a Center which is fair. But maybe a RB would have been great too. Either way our top pick looks like an undersized guy who McVay mentioned has to be more serious about the game or whatever which is like the kiss of death. Man I hoped he would show us something but gotta say it looks like a miss.

There's definitely no shame in losing to Green Bay but unfortunately it was a huge game we needed. Now we're definitely in that wildcard group which tbh is not the worst thing in the world. I'm just upset because I had what were apparently unrealistic expectations and really wanted that win.

Re: the sched what matters is that McVay slows his roll first off. Going for it on 4th down on your side of the field early in a big away game vs a playoff opponent I mean c'mon man. That is hubris. You punt the fucking ball and let your defense do their job. I know he doesn't trust the defense and I don't either but you gotta go with that call there. And the same shit we've been talking about has to happen. If you want to settle down your QB fix your balance. This is 101 here. Stafford has the stuff he wants at the position, but he has to adjust the offense to what he is comfortable with and what he can do. If he sees 9 out there making stupid risk throws he has to throttle that shit down. Play within the scheme and let the defense do their thing and we'll see where the team ends up. But the pressing we're seeing, this insistence on deep shots, starts at the top and Stafford doesn't need a coach backing him up on that because he's got bad habits from Detroit already.

One game at a time. Fix the basics. String some wins together. And build on that, I think that's what needs to happen here. We're a wildcard team now and that's if we fix this shit.
All good points, but why won't they. There has to be a reason. Oh to be a fly on the wall

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
I don't blame the QB but something is wrong with Stafford. I've complained about this for awhile now and that is we don't run the ball enough. McVay wants to get to the pass as quickly as possible and abandons the run. Started game running, I think two runs 10 yards then started throwing. Drives me nuts when I see Henderson run for 5 yards on first down then I see Stafford with an empty backfield. Why. At least pretend you may run. Defenses are bull rushing and the LB'ers are sitting 8 yards back protecting the passing lanes. WRs have to run longer routes and the pressure gets to Stafford.
Our defense played better but still 3rd and 3 and db is sitting 8 yards off LOS. I don't get it.
Higbee and Hendren got to do better on the screen plays. Both times with blockers in front of them the first defender tackles them.
Yes we gave up 20 points to turnovers. Can't do that and beat playoff teams.
I think Henderson is beat up too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
What? Dude come on. Stafford's turnovers spotting the opposing team 10+ points over the last three games have been the difference in each game. Even Stafford has pointed that out. I'm not quite sure how someone who's watched every game could even begin to argue otherwise.

I'm not disputing the fact that MS' TOs are putting the teams in holes. I'm saying that even despite that he played well this game. I don't even care about the fumble. Dude didn't even feel it. Andrew Whitworth had an uncharacteristically bad couple series, but like MS also had an overall game that he played well in.

I'm not a fan of Morris and his defensive style, but holding the Packers to basically 21 points at home isn't bad at all.

Agreed.

I do prepare to see a fumble anytime anyone other than Kupp is returning a punt, though.

Yup.

I think the haha's are because you don't seem to have a stance. Regardless of evidence or stats you're basically just saying "nuh uh"

I already voiced my view point and explained gave my reasons why. You and others don't like it and haha it. And again I am NOT going to change my stance.

I can't help the way you interpret things.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I really hope Stafford is dealing with an injury we as fans don't know about. Because if he's not, that is worrisome. He can get better if its an injury and he heals. But if those accuracy problems are just him, we're in trouble. He's missing too many times. And its not just one or two games.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I already voiced my view point and explained gave my reasons why. You and others don't like it and haha it. And again I am NOT going to change my stance.

I can't help the way you interpret things.
So in your mind you are right no matter what anyone says or what evidence is introduced you have already decided you can’t be swayed. Why even discuss with others than? That’s not a debate. You are quite literally saying “im right no matter what you or anyone says” when you say “I am NOT going to change my stance”. What’s the point?

You said he was not the reason we lost the game he was one of the reasons it was even close. I cited 50+ years of historical nfl data that debunks what you are saying and demonstrates when your QB throws a pick 6 you lose the game 8 out of 10 times over nearly 2,000 recorded games. That’s not even factoring in the fumble inside the 10. I’d re-run the numbers to show you just how statistically improbable it is to win when your QB throws a pick 6 AND fumbles inside your own red zone but you won’t even listen so I won’t waste more time. That data shows that Matthew Stafford was in fact a major contributor to our loss.

And to all that you simply ignore what the data has shown in a massive sample size, cite his end game stats as if they somehow change what has statistically shown to be true since before I was even born, and say “you can’t change my mind”.

That’s why people are laughing…it’s a laughable stance to take

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I really hope Stafford is dealing with an injury we as fans don't know about. Because if he's not, that is worrisome. He can get better if its an injury and he heals. But if those accuracy problems are just him, we're in trouble. He's missing too many times. And its not just one or two games.
Really good post. I too hope he is more hurt than we know, because no matter what Goff was more accurate.

Endless passes behind receivers, overthrowing receivers and throwing to totally covered receivers not a winning prescription.

Yet if he is really hurt and trying to toughen it out seems like a stupid pov by the coaches to leave him in he isn't going to heal.

Angry Ram

So in your mind you are right no matter what anyone says or what evidence is introduced you have already decided you can’t be swayed. Why even discuss with others than? That’s not a debate. You are quite literally saying “im right no matter what you or anyone says” when you say “I am NOT going to change my stance”. What’s the point?

First, you need to not put words in my damn mouth. This isn't about being right. This is MY view and I'm sticking with it. If you don't like that, I can't help you.

You said he was not the reason we lost the game he was one of the reasons it was even close. I cited 50+ years of historical nfl data that debunks what you are saying and demonstrates when your QB throws a pick 6 you lose the game 8 out of 10 times over nearly 2,000 recorded games. That’s not even factoring in the fumble inside the 10. I’d re-run the numbers to show you just how statistically improbable it is to win when your QB throws a pick 6 AND fumbles inside your own red zone but you won’t even listen so I won’t waste more time. That data shows that Matthew Stafford was in fact a major contributor to our loss.

Why do you keep wanting to shoving that in my face? Was the game not a 10 pt differential the majority of the night? Did he not throw for 3 TDs?

And to all that you simply ignore what the data has shown in a massive sample size, cite his end game stats as if they somehow change what has statistically shown to be true since before I was even born, and say “you can’t change my mind”.

Why are your stats more true than his actual game stats and game script? Should we just flush it down the toilet? You are doing the same thing you're accusing me of, ignoring the numbers.

17-20 at the half. The largest point differential was, IIRC, 11 points. It wouldn't even have been that close if he played as bad as people are making him out to be. I only said he wasn't the reason for the L. His performance backs it up despite the TOs.

That’s why people are laughing…it’s a laughable stance to take

Whatever dude. Feeling the need to come in on your high horse every time b/c you don't agree w/ my posts and somehow wanting to show me I'm wrong is also laughable.

You should know damn well by now I'm not going to go with the crowd on every single thing. I only care about the most recent game, and how he played. He had his bad moments, and also had some really good moments. If it weren't for him, this game wouldn't even been competitive.

And for the umpteeth time. This is my fuckin view point. Deal with it or scroll past.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I agree with Angry Ram on a few points:

His opinion doesn't have to change, he can state his opinion no matter what it is. I think his "My stance won't change" statement wasn't geared towards he is always right etc etc. In this day and age, I rather see someone show mental fortitude rather than crowd mentality.

I also agree that Stafford did have some sweet music on the deep ball, (I only watched highlights so I don't know about the inbetween stuff).

I may vary from Angry Ram on if Stafford was responsible for the loss. I would ask clarification on if he meant, "No responsibility" or "Just not the only reason we lost.

I am not the biggest McVay fan and I dislike his offensive "style".......does it win games, yes sir it does. I am not the biggest fan of our defensive style either.

Overall, my opinion is that McVay and his coaches are primarily responsible for the 4 loses this season and responsible for a grim outlook because said coaches have a history of not being able to change.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We are like a good 3 pt shooting basketball team that when they are hot or playing a team that can't defend the 3, then we look great.

But when you play a complete team, that can defend and can score inside and out or when the 3 isn't falling, you look like crap.

In other words we are finesse team that is one dimensional. If they can't jump on a team early and instead get into a slugfest, then it's going to be a long day.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, you need to not put words in my damn mouth. This isn't about being right. This is MY view and I'm sticking with it. If you don't like that, I can't help you.
You’re right I shouldn’t put words in your mouth. I was more trying to show how you come off so my bad on that.

That being said, you keep saying you’re sticking with it you wont change etc... so again I ask the question why bother discussing with others?

Why do you keep wanting to shoving that in my face? Was the game not a 10 pt differential the majority of the night? Did he not throw for 3 TDs?
Throwing it in your face? It’s statistically backed evidence that we were damned by the turnovers from our QB. He was not the only one who caused us to lose but the odds were against us to the tune of 80% + when he threw his third consecutive pick 6 and fumbled inside the 10. He did throw for three tds and thats great. Do you honestly think there’s no correlation between the data I provided and the outcome of the game? That the other 1,100 + times the same scenario played out was coincidental?

Why are your stats more true than his actual game stats and game script? Should we just flush it down the toilet? You are doing the same thing you're accusing me of, ignoring the numbers.

17-20 at the half. The largest point differential was, IIRC, 11 points. It wouldn't even have been that close if he played as bad as people are making him out to be. I only said he wasn't the reason for the L. His performance backs it up despite the TOs.
First they aren’t my stats. Second his actual game stats include the INT and Fumble I am referring to. I am not ignoring the numbers I am showing you why they are irrelevant. When you throw pick 6s and fumble inside the 10 YOU DONT WIN. That is well documented throughout the last 51 years of NFL history it doesn’t count less because YOU FEEL like he played well. What happened in all those other circumstances? The other 1,000+ games where the QBs threw pick 6’s and lost..I’m sure some of them threw for 3 tds as well but it is simply not a recipe for winning and that in and of itself means you played poorly. MS made plays that more often than not lead to losses in this league that is not debatable it is fact.

You are correct he was not THE reason for the L but he was a very large contributor again backed up by the same stats I’ve provided. The results of his performance backs it up because of the TO’s
Whatever dude. Feeling the need to come in on your high horse every time b/c you don't agree w/ my posts and somehow wanting to show me I'm wrong is also laughable.

Providing articulate fact based arguments backed by large amounts of historical data is a high horse? Proving each other wrong is literally the point of debate…again why are you bothering to discuss with others if me disagreeing and trying to prove you wrong is an issue?

You should know damn well by now I'm not going to go with the crowd on every single thing. I only care about the most recent game, and how he played. He had his bad moments, and also had some really good moments. If it weren't for him, this game wouldn't even been competitive.
He sure did have his good moments I 100% agree. Unfortunately the bad moments you are referring to are literally the kiss of death in the NFL.

And for the umpteeth time. This is my fuckin view point. Deal with it or scroll past.
This is my fucking rebuttal. Deal with it or scroll past.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We are like a good 3 pt shooting basketball team that when they are hot or playing a team that can't defend the 3, then we look great.

But when you play a complete team, that can defend and can score inside and out or when the 3 isn't falling, you look like crap.

In other words we are finesse team that is one dimensional. If they can't jump on a team early and instead get into a slugfest, then it's going to be a long day.
This is actually a really good comparison.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yea no one mentioned punts. We converted 30% of third downs.
We only punted 4 times, but we lost a possession due to a fumble and a possession because of the pick 6 and another possession due to turnover on downs…that very easily could have been 3 more punts, so not a great analysis regarding our offensive ineptitude.

Angry Ram

That being said, you keep saying you’re sticking with it you wont change etc... so again I ask the question why bother discussing with others?

Who said I WANT to discuss it? I already told you freaking 100 times by now this is only my viewpoint. YOU are the one that initially replied to me in the first place in this thread and the other. I'm not going to change my opinion.

Throwing it in your face? It’s statistically backed evidence that we were damned by the turnovers from our QB. He was not the only one who caused us to lose but the odds were against us to the tune of 80% + when he threw his third consecutive pick 6 and fumbled inside the 10. He did throw for three tds and thats great. Do you honestly think there’s no correlation between the data I provided and the outcome of the game? That the other 1,100 + times the same scenario played out was coincidental?

This wasn't even the discussion dude. I only said he wasn't the reason for the L, and complaining about him is ridiculous. YOU were on the one that started around with the history states I didn't ask nor care for discussing.

First they aren’t my stats. Second his actual game stats include the INT and Fumble I am referring to. I am not ignoring the numbers I am showing you why they are irrelevant. When you throw pick 6s and fumble inside the 10 YOU DONT WIN. That is well documented throughout the last 51 years of NFL history it doesn’t count less because YOU FEEL like he played well. What happened in all those other circumstances? The other 1,000+ games where the QBs threw pick 6’s and lost..I’m sure some of them threw for 3 tds as well but it is simply not a recipe for winning and that in and of itself means you played poorly. MS made plays that more often than not lead to losses in this league that is not debatable it is fact.

I don't care about a 1000 other games. I just don't. Get the hell over it. This is all MY opinion. MY viewpoint on last nights game.

You are correct he was not THE reason for the L but he was a very large contributor again backed up by the same stats I’ve provided. The results of his performance backs it up because of the TO’s

OK. I mean this is my whole point to begin with. Thanks for finally getting it I guess.

Providing articulate fact based arguments backed by large amounts of historical data is a high horse? Proving each other wrong is literally the point of debate…again why are you bothering to discuss with others if me disagreeing and trying to prove you wrong is an issue?

I don't WANT to debate. How many times do I got to say this? I posted one thing based on how I, as a couch fan, watched, saw, and felt how he played in the game. I saw it differently. Deal with it.

He sure did have his good moments I 100% agree. Unfortunately the bad moments you are referring to are literally the kiss of death in the NFL.

That's not rocket science. MS was a big reason why the game was competitive. Plain and simple.

This is my fucking rebuttal. Deal with it or scroll past.

It's YOU that wants to keep this going on because b/c you don't agree with how I saw the game. I don't know why you are on some mission to change it. It's not going to happen.

I may vary from Angry Ram on if Stafford was responsible for the loss. I would ask clarification on if he meant, "No responsibility" or "Just not the only reason we lost.

And that's fine. I never said he wasn't immune from responsibility. All I'm saying is that his performance was a reason why the game was as close fought as it was. And I reiterate. IT WAS. Hell my initial post in this thread was about STs being the biggest reason.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the Rams. Been a fan since I was 5 years old and my dad took me to Rams games. We later moved to Hawaii and I remained a fan. Flew to see some games on the mainland.

Even with the talent that we seem to have, I just don't see anything special about this team. When we had Kurt Warner, you knew there was something special going on. Even in 2018 with Goff, that team seemed destined for good things. I don't see that with this team right now.

That doesn't mean the lights couldn't turn on and the team gel and turn in an awesome playoff run and maybe the super bowl. But I don't see that spark right now. Stafford is streaky and you need 3 solid games in a row to win the title as a division winner. You need 4 solid games in a row to win a super bowl as a wild card. I'm not sure if Stafford can deliver that, at least right now.

I hope and pray that I"m dead wrong.

And there is the chance that the defense could turn into the 2002 Ravens defense but Troy Reeder is not Ray Lewis so I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who said I WANT to discuss it? I already told you freaking 100 times by now this is only my viewpoint. YOU are the one that initially replied to me in the first place in this thread and the other. I'm not going to change my opinion.

This wasn't even the discussion dude. I only said he wasn't the reason for the L, and complaining about him is ridiculous. YOU were on the one that started around with the history states I didn't ask nor care for discussing.

I don't care about a 1000 other games. I just don't. Get the hell over it. This is all MY opinion. MY viewpoint on last nights game.

OK. I mean this is my whole point to begin with. Thanks for finally getting it I guess.

I don't WANT to debate. How many times do I got to say this? I posted one thing based on how I, as a couch fan, watched, saw, and felt how he played in the game. I saw it differently. Deal with it.

That's not rocket science. MS was a big reason why the game was competitive. Plain and simple.

It's YOU that wants to keep this going on because b/c you don't agree with how I saw the game. I don't know why you are on some mission to change it. It's not going to happen.

And that's fine. I never said he wasn't immune from responsibility. All I'm saying is that his performance was a reason why the game was as close fought as it was. And I reiterate. IT WAS. Hell my initial post in this thread was about STs being the biggest reason.
I have a feeling you are far too old to act this way. I’m just going to block ya no point in reading posts from a guy who’s only opinion ever is I’m right go away ….bye forever