Most glaring need

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What is the single biggest area of need going into the draft?

• OT

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • IOL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DT

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Edge

Votes: 71 74.0%
  • MLB

• DB

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • WR

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • RB

• TE

• QB

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And a rookie dt edge or cb could do the same.
Disagree. I think it is more likely, just speaking of the options at 19, that a DL, Edge, or CB impact the team in 2024.

OT is more of a long term impact but regardless it is worth the investment.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Disagree. I think it is more likely, just speaking of the options at 19, that a DL, Edge, or CB impact the team in 2024.

Agree with this. Its a 100% guarantee that if we draft a DT or Edge, they will be day 1 starters. The same cannot be said for an OT for this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What half the draft picks work out? It's all a gamble no matter who well you scout a player or how he played in college you know this.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Agree with this. Its a 100% guarantee that if we draft a DT or Edge, they will be day 1 starters. The same cannot be said for an OT for this year.
I agree with your guarantee on DT, disagree on Edge. We don't have bodies at DT so the draftee will absolutely start.

At Edge though, I think there's a 20-30% chance that Hoecht could be the starter after TC. He had 6 sacks last year with a higher pressure rate than Young so I don't think it's automatic that a rookie surpasses him.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with your guarantee on DT, disagree on Edge. We don't have bodies at DT so the draftee will absolutely start.

At Edge though, I think there's a 20-30% chance that Hoecht could be the starter after TC. He had 6 sacks last year with a higher pressure rate than Young so I don't think it's automatic that a rookie surpasses him.
I mean, we do have Desjuan and Brown on the DL right now, that is at least bodies. Desjuan actually put together some solid tape near end of season and Brown played over 300 snaps (and not horribly for what he was asked to do) last year, so similar thoughts could be had on both positions IMO. They both need addressed asap IMO, especially if they are going to play Hoecht on the line at all this year, which I think he would be effective at on passing downs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What half the draft picks work out? It's all a gamble no matter who well you scout a player or how he played in college you know this.
Correct again. However once again I think it is a given that certain positions translate quicker and that is part of the overall strategy.

Back to LT though I think we are in agreement that it is worth taking. Which is what matters. I am simply admitting that LT probably doesn't do much for us year one. In an ideal world Jackson will start and play like he did last season and the kid redshirts.

Now if they take Alt somehow then I would agree maybe he starts over Jackson. But many of these other guys probably need a little time. And if we take one, and they do beat out Jackson then it's a win all around. I just don't think most of the options bring that.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I mean, we do have Desjuan and Brown on the DL right now, that is at least bodies. Desjuan actually put together some solid tape near end of season and Brown played over 300 snaps (and not horribly for what he was asked to do) last year, so similar thoughts could be had on both positions IMO. They both need addressed asap IMO, especially if they are going to play Hoecht on the line at all this year, which I think he would be effective at on passing downs.
Yeah, I have Brown penciled in as the NT for now with Turner sliding to the 3T.

Don't think we can compare Desjuan and Hoecht though. One guy has a 102 snaps, the other was a 2023 starter with 906 snaps. It's definitely not the same thing.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I have Brown penciled in as the NT for now with Turner sliding to the 3T.

Don't think we can compare Desjuan and Hoecht though. One guy has a 102 snaps, the other was a 2023 starter with 906 snaps. It's definitely not the same thing.
Except that Hoecht may slide down and play with his hand in the dirt some this year, which does change things. Also, the simple fact that he dropped into coverage more then any edge in the NFL is a huge red flag and one that I hope and pray Shula is aware of and addresses immediately. A dude like Latu, Turner, or Chop would sure look a lot better doing that then Hoecht.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Except that Hoecht may slide down and play with his hand in the dirt some this year, which does change things....
Based on what evidence? I've only heard fans say this but nothing from a knowledgeable reporter such as Jourdan or the team itself.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on what evidence? I've only heard fans say this but nothing from a knowledgeable reporter such as Jourdan or the team itself.
I thought Jourdan had mentioned it a while back? Could be wrong, but that is the reason I'm suggesting it. Also, it does make sense to me. He actually is a pretty good pass rusher and strong enough.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except that Hoecht may slide down and play with his hand in the dirt some this year, which does change things. Also, the simple fact that he dropped into coverage more then any edge in the NFL is a huge red flag and one that I hope and pray Shula is aware of and addresses immediately. A dude like Latu, Turner, or Chop would sure look a lot better doing that then Hoecht.
I am confident that if the Rams draft one of those Edges we'll see less drops into coverage by them. When your Edge can actually bring consistent heat the best use of his effort is on the rush.

Yes I am aware the Fangio system does this. But call frequencies are affected by the quality of the players too. Occasionally dropping a good Edge with some surprise to it is fine. Zone blitz stuff in general are fine. But if they can get a good consistent edge rush going the amount of that stuff in the defensive front should diminish. And also they can flip the players as needed and drop Young instead of say Chop or Latu. I would go out of my way to minimize how often a guy like Latu drops into coverage.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Correct again. However once again I think it is a given that certain positions translate quicker and that is part of the overall strategy.

Back to LT though I think we are in agreement that it is worth taking. Which is what matters. I am simply admitting that LT probably doesn't do much for us year one. In an ideal world Jackson will start and play like he did last season and the kid redshirts.

Now if they take Alt somehow then I would agree maybe he starts over Jackson. But many of these other guys probably need a little time. And if we take one, and they do beat out Jackson then it's a win all around. I just don't think most of the options bring that.
Always possible but far from a guarantee. Also possible Jackson is as good or better than last year. Also possible one of the first round picks could take his job and make him tradeable.

I just can't sit here and say anything is certain. Not with the draft, not with the Rams and not with any of these prospects. Half of the first round picks won't work out it's just the way it always is. And those players we think are sure things aren't immune to that it happens every year and has for a very long time. It's just like this time of year people saying player X Y or Z will be gone by a certain pick take our 1st rounder or 2nd rounder whatever. It's laughable we don't know that for sure. Hell when people early in the season last year were expecting us to be shit there was talk we'd take Newton top 5 or he wouldn't be available to us. Now? Yeah He might be taken after us at 19 anything is possible.

This time of year me personally I'm not going to sit here and say for certain anything is going to happen. I just try to roll with the punches but that's just me.

I'll go back to my previous comments. I think the best thing for the 2024 and maybe 2025 Rams is one of the top Edges (Latu, Dallas, Verse or Robinson) at 19 and a guy like Ruke at 52 or Kris Jenkins is the best outcome in my book for Thursday and Friday night :)

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I thought Jourdan had mentioned it a while back? Could be wrong, but that is the reason I'm suggesting it. Also, it does make sense to me. He actually is a pretty good pass rusher and strong enough.
Hmmm. I haven't heard her say this. Must have missed it.

If true, that does change things. If they are essentially viewing him as the 5T starter right now then that puts DL further down the list of needs and bumps edge up.

dang

Legend
So if Stafford has indicated he plans on staying for the 3 years left on his contract, how would you feel about an Alt, Fashanu, Fautana this year?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm 100% on the edge bandwagon and have been for a while. That said I won't be upset with an ot or wr even if we don't trade down. That's all I've been saying and people keep not understanding what I'm trying to say so it's all good.
I would not be upset if it was an OT. Honest.
And there would be more time to address other areas of need.
My biggest issue would be that it's unlikely a tackle drafted there will be a day one starter, imo.. while I think a DL or Edge drafted there would be.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not be upset if it was an OT. Honest.
And there would be more time to address other areas of need.
My biggest issue would be that it's unlikely a tackle drafted there will be a day one starter, imo.. while I think a DL or Edge drafted there would be.

And I disagree that it's no less likely than any other position. I think you guys are greatly underestimating the OT's they've been linked to. Also think a day 2 Edge and DT can come in and start right away and contribute greatly to the team. And we upgrade the D upgrade at LT in the short and absolutely in the long run. This draft isn't just about 2024 I think people forget that when they look at OT's in this draft. That said just did my last mock and have us taking an OT in the 5th.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And I disagree that it's no less likely than any other position. I think you guys are greatly underestimating the OT's they've been linked to. Also think a day 2 Edge and DT can come in and start right away and contribute greatly to the team. And we upgrade the D upgrade at LT in the short and absolutely in the long run. This draft isn't just about 2024 I think people forget that when they look at OT's in this draft. That said just did my last mock and have us taking an OT in the 5th.
Of course - I’ll say you’re going with a WR ? Whoever you go with is as good as anyone’s guess.

IMO though The Rams want to get really aggressive on DEFENSE !! Also the WR group is deep(5th rd)

Lossing AD99 & J. Williams as 2 of The Rams Top defensive guys up front.I’d say a DT in the 1st 100 for sure,a long with a DE/Edge ?

The CB group is solid both in the draft & on The Rams.I found it interesting when D. Williams was questioned about where he would play ?

Believe me!!! Shula is coming into this season with a plan & this Rams defense is going to be aggressive,but wanted to try to confuse offenses .All while mixing it up with players that can cover.

I’m thinking pass rushers coming from everywhere ? The Rams need a Inside/MLb that can cover sideline to sideline. The player I want is Payton Wilson(2nd rd).

Latu ?? Hard to see The Rams trading up for him ? As far as The Draft goes it is hard to say.You do a lot of mocks & I’m sure it comes up different all the time.

I’ll go on The record & say The Rams go CB before LT. not opposed of going Tackle as well.They have to have a Top 10 grade on that player though.

J. Verse is a player that might fall to The Rams ? Hard call on how could have a player he will be ?

Les Snead is a MAD SCIENTIST right now ! The Draft The Rams had was as good as I’ve seen.
There IT(gal) guys really have there formula dialed in.

This is Mcvays draft though. He will get a player he likes. Don’t know if you remember 2023 though & Bruss.He said dude was a plug & play player.The Rams upfront right now don’t need a guard/center.Then looking at Big Rob & love for The game.

What I don’t get is how Ram Fans can’t show Joesph Noteboom The Love he deserves ? He has been there & done that.He only continues to get better as well.IMO his passion for the game is Kool.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I hope the Rams roll with Jackson this coming season at LT, I thought he represented himself well and should even be better this season with the experience he received. After this season the Rams can reassess the LT position as to if Jackson needs to be resigned or the position addressed in free agency or the draft.
I got to agree here I keep saying how good Jackson was last year. Getting Alt and Fashanu is a bunch of draft capital not out of the question but the question is how much better will the LT spot be with either rookie over Jackson. Verses we have a massive hole at OLB, smaller one at DT, CB, S and ILB then LT to me.

The reason why the Chiefs won the SB last year was a rock solid defense we lost our playoff game to Detroit because of our defense and we don't have AD a huge piece that can't be replaced. So grabbing a Latu or Verse and Wilson or Cooper in the 2nd will do a great deal of shoring up our defense.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
To me "glaring" means a complete void currently. I'd say DT or Edge essentially has a complete void. LT has a guy who played well the entire last season. Not sure how that could be considered the most "glaring" need. A need for an elite LT? Sure, be we need an elite at lots of positions.
There are 2 glaring needs on the team K obviously and OLB. DT isn't as much they will kick Hoecht inside but we have no OLB on the right side to rush the passer.