Most glaring need

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What is the single biggest area of need going into the draft?

• OT

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • IOL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DT

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Edge

Votes: 71 74.0%
  • MLB

• DB

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • WR

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • RB

• TE

• QB

• Total voters

dang

Legend
“IF” the Rams moved up in the draft it’s gotta be for an offensive player. I don’t see how they would go any higher than R1.10 (offering R1.19 plus next years R1 pick) so I’m eliminating Harrison, Nabers, Alt. I’m also eliminating any QBs.

So who does that leave that they would they have interest in moving up for. IMO that would be:

-Odunze
-Fashanu
-Bowers
-Fautanu (but not for 2 firsts)

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I hope the Rams roll with Jackson this coming season at LT, I thought he represented himself well and should even be better this season with the experience he received. After this season the Rams can reassess the LT position as to if Jackson needs to be resigned or the position addressed in free agency or the draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hope the Rams roll with Jackson this coming season at LT, I thought he represented himself well and should even be better this season with the experience he received. After this season the Rams can reassess the LT position as to if Jackson needs to be resigned or the position addressed in free agency or the draft.
If they go LT at the top they will slot Jackson as the starter in camp and the kid will be LT3 (behind Boom). Then they'll see how he competes in camp. Give him a ton of snaps in preseason and constantly reevaluate. I would hope that by the end of preseason he's the primary backup because Boom's game lacks power, so a high draft pick should be able to bypass him if he works hard.

Then by the time the trade deadline rolls around you take a hard look at the kid's progress. If he's close then you have the opportunity to trade Jackson and add a draft pick. Boom would back the kid up. If the team is rolling with Jackson in there and/or the kid isn't fully ready, then let Jackson play it out and you can tag/trade him or let him walk in FA, depending on how well he plays.

So the advantage of drafting the tackle now is all that time to integrate him. Sucks to not get an impact player there. But if they hit on a LT it will be worth it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Sucks to not get an impact player there. But if they hit on a LT it will be worth it.
94% of voters want Edge or DT as the pick. The other 4 positions voted for are OT (2), QB, WR and DB (1 each). QB, would be less impactful than LT and further down the road as far as making a valuable contribution. WR, if we're getting that at #19, should have at least a minimum impact immediately. DB/CB might make an impact quickly, though we're pretty deep there after free agency.

Smokescreens are plenty leading up to the draft. We have to wonder, is LT one of those? Perhaps if LT is a smokescreen, it's designed to elicit offers to move down? I've thought the most obvious trade partner is Dallas at #24, giving the Rams another third round pick. It would offer the Rams multiple options (all good) with one being a trade up in the second, if they chose to go 'less impactful' and more long-term in the first.

It's impossible to predict without knowing who they covet the most among guys likely to be available at #19, or higher or lower. I found it interesting Chop Robinson was a guy they've been connected to. He may be available lower than 19. So glad we're gonna find all that out in just 3 days. I'd love a trade down to 24 and then a move up to the low 30's.

Last edited:

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Teams need elite players at the two most important positions before anything else. QB and LT. We only have an elite player at one of those spots.

An Elite left tackle is by far the biggest need on this team, and it isn't close.

Jackson is serviceable. But this is akin to the "why are we getting Todd Gurley when we already have Tre Mason" question.
Teams with "good problems" make it to the final table and win the chips.

Memphis Ram

Legend
94% of voters want Edge or DT as the pick. The other 4 positions voted for are OT (2), QB, WR and DB (1 each). QB, would be less impactful than LT and further down the road as far as making a valuable contribution. WR, if we're getting that at #19, should have at least a minimum impact immediately. DB/CB might make an impact quickly, though we're pretty deep there after free agency.

Smokescreens are plenty leading up to the draft. We have to wonder, is LT one of those? Perhaps if LT is a smokescreen, it's designed to elicit offers to move down? I've thought the most obvious trade partner is Dallas at #24, giving the Rams another third round pick. It would offer the Rams multiple options (all good) with one being a trade up in the second, if they chose to go 'less impactful' and more long-term in the first.

It's impossible to predict without knowing who they covet the most among guys likely to be available at #19, or higher or lower. I found it interesting Chop Robinson was a guy they've been connected to. He may be available lower than 19. So glad we're gonna find all that out in just 3 days. I'd love a trade down to 24 and then a move up to the low 30's.
But given that teams pick players and not positions, most glaring need and who voters want could be two different things altogether.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
We do not know for sure if any of the LTs coming out will be elite when they come to the NFL, it is somewhat of a crap shoot. My feeling is roll with Jackson this year and if he is not the answer. I would much rather see this position address in free agency after the season, much like the Rams did with Whitworth.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
We do not know for sure if any of the LTs coming out will be elite when they come to the NFL, it is somewhat of a crap shoot. My feeling is roll with Jackson this year and if he is not the answer. I would much rather see this position address in free agency after the season, much like the Rams did with Whitworth.

If elite Left Tackles were easy to find, everyone would have one. Doesn't change the fact that it is our most "glaring" need.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fuaga can be had for much less (I believe) if we are going that route. Trading to 6 or 7 is going to be VERY expensive, probably more then we can afford currently. I mean, I love Alt, but, I like adding talent to the team too :)
How about adding next year's 1st rounder in the trade? Since I think we'll be drafting low after a great year in 2024, it's almost a 2nd rounder....We'll also have all our draft capital again in 2026.

dang

Legend
How about adding next year's 1st rounder in the trade? Since I think we'll be drafting low after a great year in 2024, it's almost a 2nd rounder....We'll also have all our draft capital again in 2026.
I’d prefer next years R1 vs this years R2 as a trade chip for the right player (LT/WR/QMitchell).

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The desired/required physical traits to play Left tackle NFL is the most restrictive of any position. God does not make many men that big and long with the requisite agility and mental make-up to play Tackle in the NFL. Greg Robinson checked two of those boxes but failed on the mental side. I know Robinson is why some fans are understandably gun shy about taking another tackle high in the draft and he underlines the risk of picking just a physical specimen. I am on the side of having a premium left tackle along the line. I have noted it before on numerous occasions but I will say it again. All of our Rams Super bowl teams had elite left tackles.

So if the Rams do trade up for left tackle I will be very much OK with that. It has crossed mind mind as well that Jackson could be part of the trade package for someone like Alt. He would be the equivalent of mid second round pick in the draft value chart IMO.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'm fairly sure the 1st is likely involved in most trade up scenarios, definitely to get up for Alt. Next years 1st and change.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I changed my vote to WR. I got caught up in the off season pre draft conversation. But when I reflect upon my opinion on the team immediately after the playoff loss it was a WR issue. We may have three guys that can play the position but it was obvious after that game that we did not have the firepower around Stafford.

Kupp and Puka are solid WR2s, but we need a WR1. A burner that can catch a contested ball. We can get one with our first pick and we can backfill the DL with later picks. A rookie Edge isnt going to make an impact and isnt an upgrade outside of pass coverage, which is only an issue for a few plays a game.

We need more offensive firepower around Stafford in order to maximize his last few years. Yes I love Kupp but he hasnt been healthy since the Wolford hospital pass.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If elite Left Tackles were easy to find, everyone would have one. Doesn't change the fact that it is our most "glaring" need.
To me "glaring" means a complete void currently. I'd say DT or Edge essentially has a complete void. LT has a guy who played well the entire last season. Not sure how that could be considered the most "glaring" need. A need for an elite LT? Sure, be we need an elite at lots of positions.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I'll add another comment regarding standing pat with the talent you have. I like Goff and he is a very good QB but few will argue that Stafford was not an upgrade none the less. Just as teams need elite QB's I think they also need elite LT's and Jackson is not elite. I like Jackson and am also willing to roll with him in 2024 (as if I have a say) but if our Rams can upgrade the LT, this line could potentially be elite.

A good offensive line greatly determines the QB's success and the elite LT greatly determines the OL's success.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I changed my vote to WR. I got caught up in the off season pre draft conversation. But when I reflect upon my opinion on the team immediately after the playoff loss it was a WR issue. We may have three guys that can play the position but it was obvious after that game that we did not have the firepower around Stafford.

Kupp and Puka are solid WR2s, but we need a WR1. A burner that can catch a contested ball. We can get one with our first pick and we can backfill the DL with later picks. A rookie Edge isnt going to make an impact and isnt an upgrade outside of pass coverage, which is only an issue for a few plays a game.

We need more offensive firepower around Stafford in order to maximize his last few years. Yes I love Kupp but he hasnt been healthy since the Wolford hospital pass.
You honestly think we lost that game because we didn't have enough WR talent? Puka went 9/181, Robinson had a solid game, Kupp didn't get much yardage but caught 5 passes. Not having our starting TE didn't help. Not pressuring Goff or covering St.Brown was a big problem. Ultimately, perhaps we lost that game because the refs decided to not call one of 2 penalties on our last play. Or we win that one despite our issues.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll add another comment regarding standing pat with the talent you have. I like Goff and he is a very good QB but few will argue that Stafford was not an upgrade none the less. Just as teams need elite QB's I think they also need elite LT's and Jackson is not elite. I like Jackson and am also willing to roll with him in 2024 (as if I have a say) but if our Rams can upgrade the LT, this line could potentially be elite.

A good offensive line greatly determines the QB's success and the elite LT greatly determines the OL's success.
Drafting a LT this year in the 1st certainly does not guarantee us as having an elite LT. I think history will show that be true.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean aside from a couple players the same can be said for every position.