Most glaring need

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What is the single biggest area of need going into the draft?

• OT

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • IOL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DT

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Edge

Votes: 71 74.0%
  • MLB

• DB

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • WR

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • RB

• TE

• QB

• Total voters

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Thats Me Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

I see need as a 4-5 year projection - not just 2024

I’m worried about the tackle situation.
Our franchise QB will be long gone in 4-5 years (I'd assume). We should be ring chasing this season and next. That's our window with Stafford.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our franchise QB will be long gone in 4-5 years (I'd assume). We should be ring chasing this season and next. That's our window with Stafford.
I agree. I think our chances of a ring improve more by solidifying the offensive tackle position than any other - I guess is what I’m saying.

More than anything - to chase rings for 3-4 more years, Stafford needs to be protected

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. I think our chances of a ring improve more by solidifying the offensive tackle position than any other - I guess is what I’m saying.

More than anything - to chase rings for 3-4 more years, Stafford needs to be protected
I believe Ajax did just that. Only allowed a single sack for the season. Personally, thinking a rookie LT will come in and be better then an ascending LT doesn't make sense to me. I do not think the improvement we might get from a rookie LT will be more effective then adding a disruptor on defense. Or even a WR, which I'm not totally a fan of, but I think moves the needle more then a rookie LT.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I believe Ajax did just that. Only allowed a single sack for the season. Personally, thinking a rookie LT will come in and be better than an ascending LT doesn't make sense to me. I do not think the improvement we might get from a rookie LT will be more effective than adding a disruptor on defense. Or even a WR, which I'm not totally a fan of, but I think moves the needle more than a rookie LT.
This is a 3-4 year window, right? 2024 isn’t the one and only last shot in Staffords career.

With rare exceptions, a rookie anything takes time to make a real impact.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a 3-4 year window, right? 2024 isn’t the one and only last shot in Staffords career.

With rare exceptions, a rookie anything takes time to make a real impact.
Maybe 3-4 year window, we don't know. He could play 2 more seasons, which is what I'd wager.

I guess we have several rare exceptions last year then. And they just so happen to be almost the only positives we have on D.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We did have several rare exceptions last year - on both sides of the ball.

And none of them was a 1st round pick, btw

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Glaring need? Sorry, guys.. but it's DT and it's not close, imo.

Why? Just look at snap counts... the literal *need* to fill vacated positions that took up 1500 snap counts last year is a GLARING need.

Hoecht has his issues.. but he performed at about an average level and played 962 snaps last year. You have stability in the system and a guy who improved as the year went along.

DT? If you returned with only what is on the roster? You'd be in DEEP shit.

I can't think of a position that has a more glaring hole to fill.

There are multiple positions that could use talent infusions for this year as well as developmental players for coming years.. but they need at least one guy on the DL that can play in game 1.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For me OT is a complicated choice. Unless we trade or cut somebody there really isn't a roster spot for one right now. Boom just cut his cost down and could stay. Jackson signed his tender and is the cheap incumbent LT but as far as the salary cap goes is the easiest to trade. Big Rob is advancing like all of us in age and his play is declining and his backup is a question mark being a young guy that didn't get much action that we saw. So really we could see a need at all 3 spots next year which is a hell of a place to put yourself in.

All that said IMO every OT position on the roster could be upgraded and the Rams will have to address them before too long. There are some stop gap RT free agents next year which would let us wait a year or maybe two to draft a RT but I could see a future where if we don't draft a LT we likely have to next year (contingent of course on Jackson and how the really feel about him).
Starters: Jackson / Jackson / Avila / Dotson / Havenstein

Depth: Boom (OT & OG) / ROOK (LT) / McAllister (C) / McClendon (RT)

Way I see it the room quality drops precipitously after McClendon. Maybe Bruss comes out of nowhere but when you're hoping a guy comes out of nowhere as depth after a couple seasons it means chances are he's a bust. So to me adding that OT this year would be very wise. It's not as pressing a need as Edge. Due to Jackson's presence it is doable to even wait until next offseason, but this is a strong OT group and they're drafting in a range where they may have an option fall to them.

It's tough to get one of these guys. If one doesn't drop then they may roll the dice on one of the projects, who still require a pretty high pick. I mean even Guyton probably doesn't make it to 50 range. He's a project but will go off that board prior to that range we normally pick.

Thing of course is that if we move up for one of these guys you gotta be real sure about him. Has to be a guy everyone in the room is unanimous on, where they all love him. And the advantage with OT is that even if you miss on the LT he may end up recouping some value as RT.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We did have several rare exceptions last year - on both sides of the ball.

And none of them was a 1st round pick, btw
Which is even far more rare.

The defensive class last year was not fantastic either, but some of the top guys from round 1 definitely did have an impact year one.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glaring need? Sorry, guys.. but it's DT and it's not close, imo.

Why? Just look at snap counts... the literal *need* to fill vacated positions that took up 1500 snap counts last year is a GLARING need.

Hoecht has his issues.. but he performed at about an average level and played 962 snaps last year. You have stability in the system and a guy who improved as the year went along.

DT? If you returned with only what is on the roster? You'd be in DEEP shit.

I can't think of a position that has a more glaring hole to fill.

There are multiple positions that could use talent infusions for this year as well as developmental players for coming years.. but they need at least one guy on the DL that can play in game 1.
Well, Hoecht is a DT who was moonlighting as an edge last year. I think they put him back where he belongs this year, thus presenting the glaring need of edge. I think he'll do pretty solid on the line actually.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well, Hoecht is a DT who was moonlighting as an edge last year. I think they put him back where he belongs this year, thus presenting the glaring need of edge. I think he'll do pretty solid on the line actually.
I think this perception of him is kind of off.
People look at the listed weight and think he's a 300 pounder. He's not. I'd guess 270, at most, at this point.

He actually started to show some pass rush moves toward the end of season. The part that irritated most fans was how he performed in drops.. and that was exacerbated by the fact that he was asked to drop a ridiculous amount. I think 100 more coverage snaps than the next edge in the NFL. It looked bad.

Hoecht's pass-rush and run defense steadily improved. He'll move inside on some pass downs, for sure.. but just like other edge guys.
He's not a first or second down DL.

So, my point remains... 1500 snaps on the DL lost. None lost on the edge.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Starters: Jackson / Jackson / Avila / Dotson / Havenstein

Depth: Boom (OT & OG) / ROOK (LT) / McAllister (C) / McClendon (RT)

Way I see it the room quality drops precipitously after McClendon. Maybe Bruss comes out of nowhere but when you're hoping a guy comes out of nowhere as depth after a couple seasons it means chances are he's a bust. So to me adding that OT this year would be very wise. It's not as pressing a need as Edge. Due to Jackson's presence it is doable to even wait until next offseason, but this is a strong OT group and they're drafting in a range where they may have an option fall to them.

It's tough to get one of these guys. If one doesn't drop then they may roll the dice on one of the projects, who still require a pretty high pick. I mean even Guyton probably doesn't make it to 50 range. He's a project but will go off that board prior to that range we normally pick.

Thing of course is that if we move up for one of these guys you gotta be real sure about him. Has to be a guy everyone in the room is unanimous on, where they all love him. And the advantage with OT is that even if you miss on the LT he may end up recouping some value as RT.
My whole thought on drafting an OT is that it's very complicated and people want to make it seem simple. First is game day and roster active. As you list above we have 4 OT's and that's what we had on the 53 man roster so adding one creates the need to trade/cut somebody or to move them for at least the year to guard as a backup. That should keep them on the 53 man roster but not guarantee them a game day active spot. That last part would IMO require a trade/cut of Boom or Jackson. Now we kept a OT in Acuri on the PS but if we draft a guy high can we keep him safely on the PS? Can we keep one of the 4 you list on the PS? Potentially McClendon but we think the Rams like him and he's a 2nd year player somebody could try to grab him.

No doubt they're going to need at least one OT next year with Boom in the last year of his deal and honestly most people want him excommunicated from the Rams like 2 years ago.

Center to me is a much easier pick especially one that is capable of playing guard. McAllister is a 2nd year UDFA an a little smaller than what seems to be McVay and Wendell's ideal size for iOL. One of the guys I think could be a target in the 6th is Delmar Glaze from Maryland. He's your typical college OT who doesn't have the ideal length etc to be an NFL OT and is being projected inside to G/C. Another is a Center who played some guard in Andrew Raym. Both guys a 6th or later pick both could start on the PS if needed being a late pick or could be your game day backup Center and emergency guard after Boom.

Long story short I think we absolutely could and should take a OT. It's just going to require a trade IMO and the most likely trade target is Jackson if they draft a LT with the salary cap issues a Boom trade would require.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this perception of him is kind of off.
People look at the listed weight and think he's a 300 pounder. He's not. I'd guess 270, at most, at this point.

He actually started to show some pass rush moves toward the end of season. The part that irritated most fans was how he performed in drops.. and that was exacerbated by the fact that he was asked to drop a ridiculous amount. I think 100 more coverage snaps than the next edge in the NFL. It looked bad.

Hoecht's pass-rush and run defense steadily improved. He'll move inside on some pass downs, for sure.. but just like other edge guys.
He's not a first or second down DL.

So, my point remains... 1500 snaps on the DL lost. None lost on the edge.
So 270 lbs projection? We heard that's 5 lbs more than AD. AD the DT has to be replaced but it's a difference maker is the true NEED. And not all DT picks have as good of a shot as being a difference maker as a real edge could.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My whole thought on drafting an OT is that it's very complicated and people want to make it seem simple. First is game day and roster active. As you list above we have 4 OT's and that's what we had on the 53 man roster so adding one creates the need to trade/cut somebody or to move them for at least the year to guard as a backup. That should keep them on the 53 man roster but not guarantee them a game day active spot. That last part would IMO require a trade/cut of Boom or Jackson. Now we kept a OT in Acuri on the PS but if we draft a guy high can we keep him safely on the PS? Can we keep one of the 4 you list on the PS? Potentially McClendon but we think the Rams like him and he's a 2nd year player somebody could try to grab him.
Generally speaking it's fine to have 5 OTs to 4 iOL due to the fact that most OTs can easily slide inside. Boom isn't ideal inside but he's a capable guard. McClendon is probably better off at guard than he is on the edge, as his feet have been iffy as hell at this level so far. So I don't sweat all that. Nothing wrong with you sweating it of course, but I think that's going a bit too far into the grass.

Truth is the Rams could draft a LT and also a C for depth mid to late rounds and those final spots competing their asses off for roster spots is actually a good thing. Competition tends to breed the best players for any given slot on a roster. So not minimizing your concerns or anything, rather just observing that sometimes teams actually position rosters to instigate that competition and certainly I think that benefits us if they go that route.

I'm of the mind that we've had a little too much comfort level in those bottom roster spots for some years now. Shake it up and see what falls out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Generally speaking it's fine to have 5 OTs to 4 iOL due to the fact that most OTs can easily slide inside. Boom isn't ideal inside but he's a capable guard. McClendon is probably better off at guard than he is on the edge, as his feet have been iffy as hell at this level so far. So I don't sweat all that. Nothing wrong with you sweating it of course, but I think that's going a bit too far into the grass.

Truth is the Rams could draft a LT and also a C for depth mid to late rounds and those final spots competing their asses off for roster spots is actually a good thing. Competition tends to breed the best players for any given slot on a roster. So not minimizing your concerns or anything, rather just observing that sometimes teams actually position rosters to instigate that competition and certainly I think that benefits us if they go that route.

I'm of the mind that we've had a little too much comfort level in those bottom roster spots for some years now. Shake it up and see what falls out.
Absolutely the bolded and have said that many times about a handful of roster spots. People see somebody being adequate and defend the player. Hoecht, Rozenboom, Trammell, Skow etc etc etc. They see a guy come in do ok look at his draft status and defend the player. We should absolutely upgrade people like them. Jackson is no exception, he had a good year but we can get better there 100%.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Better then Hoecht? I'd bet they would be an improvement.

Problem with that trade up is, the team trading down is going to want those picks you have mentioned that we can grab an edge with.
At least Hoecht has learned how to be strong at the point of attack. But yes, he is a liability in pass coverage.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
For me OT is a complicated choice. Unless we trade or cut somebody there really isn't a roster spot for one right now. Boom just cut his cost down and could stay. Jackson signed his tender and is the cheap incumbent LT but as far as the salary cap goes is the easiest to trade. Big Rob is advancing like all of us in age and his play is declining and his backup is a question mark being a young guy that didn't get much action that we saw. So really we could see a need at all 3 spots next year which is a hell of a place to put yourself in.

All that said IMO every OT position on the roster could be upgraded and the Rams will have to address them before too long. There are some stop gap RT free agents next year which would let us wait a year or maybe two to draft a RT but I could see a future where if we don't draft a LT we likely have to next year (contingent of course on Jackson and how the really feel about him).

I posted in another thread this evening that I could easily see the Rams losing at least 1 if not 2 Tackles next year. It’s easy to see why the Rams would take a Tackle in this draft, but they already have two proven starters, nabbing one in the 1rst round doesn’t seem necessary. This is a deep draft for Tackles. There are several good prospects throughout.
….but would I be shocked if the Rams DID draft a Tackle in the first round? Not even a bit.

dang

Legend
I’m going to go out on a limb here. McSnead had a ”come to Jesus” meeting with Donald and Stafford as soon as the season ended.

McSnead to Donald: “Aaron. if we focus this offseason on defense how many years do you see yourself playing?” Donald: “ Sorry but I’m out. I just can’t put my usual 120% into it this year. I enjoyed the young guys in 2023 but the load to bear is just too much”.

Mc Snead to Stafford: “Matt. if we focus this offseason on offense how many years do you see yourself playing?” Stafford: “ I liked 2023 but if you put even more focus on offense this offseason I see myself loving the next 3 years. Give me the tools and I will give you the offense of your dreams”.

So 2024 Draft will prioritize Offense with LT/WR2B/RB2. Drop the mic. And don’t forget the Draft isn’t the end. There will be enticing cuts and possibility of trading for someone significant before the trade deadline.