Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Watched that. Didn't see a special LT.
Who said he was a special LT.

What you're not grasping here is supply and demand. And the fact the Rams draft so late that they really don't have many chances to nab a LT in the draft. But this year there are some who may develop and Guyton is one of them. He may be a RT, but he may have enough to move over and grow into a very important role.

Look at last year's tackle class. These big guys are hard to find. There simply aren't enough of them so you gotta roll the dice a bit when it comes to finding one. That or draft really fucking high which is never going to happen with a coach of McVay's quality.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Let's posit that Schraeger is tapped into the Rams (there's fairly decent evidence that he is) people seem to continue to ignore the fact that the first thing he said is, "if the Rams don't trade down."

If you're going to give credence to his picking of Guyton you should give credence to the idea that the Rams prefer to trade down 1st (need a partner) otherwise they'll choose offense.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Snead compared Kobie Turner to Grady Jarrett, too. Last draft, he tasked Demoff with reminding him to not pass on the next Grady Jarrett. That was Demoff's only job. Snead said he almost traded back but Demoff reminded him and the rest is history.

The question is, do they need/want two Grady Jarretts?
If he’s BPA, then yes. Since Turner was able to play nose, If also say yes. They rotated the DLine a fair amount. The more good players in the mix, the better.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not connected at all and I've been saying over and over that the Rams will trade up for an offensive piece. Both Snead and McVay are super aggressive and they admit this. I think the goal is to make that unit elite and I suspect they want a top-10 player to accomplish that.

Now with Schrager saying it, I put the odds of them moving up at about 50%. I think there's a 70% chance they draft offense first.
Odunze would be sweet

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Guyton is a better prospect than you're giving him cred for. He has a chance I think to be a LT. Good size. Physical. And the redshirt is a nice advantage if he goes to the Rams.

I get that you don't want a pick that doesn't contribute in 2024. But supply and demand factor in to this stuff too, and the Rams don't expect to be in a position where they have a shot on guys who may develop into long term answers at LT. This year's group is stronger than usual at the top so taking advantage would not be the worst thing.

Here's his game vs Texas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA02N1Chw2w

Guyton will have one great play followed by a dozen bad ones. I don’t like him over some other options.
Let's posit that Schraeger is tapped into the Rams (there's fairly decent evidence that he is) people seem to continue to ignore the fact that the first thing he said is, "if the Rams don't trade down."

If you're going to give credence to his picking of Guyton you should give credence to the idea that the Rams prefer to trade down 1st (need a partner) otherwise they'll choose offense.
If someone did tell Shrager anything of substance, then he needs to stfu.

I think he’s guessing all the way and wants to seem like he’s in the know. I doubt anyone at Rams park would give him any draft info, no matter how popular he is there.

Randy Mueller said no team is certain of who they are drafting at this point, outside of the top 2-5 picks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Shrager could easily end up being wrong simply by things falling a certain way. So I don't read too much into his comments. McVay probably does prefer more offensive options there at 19. But that requires the players he wants to be there.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Who said he was a special LT.

What you're not grasping here is supply and demand. And the fact the Rams draft so late that they really don't have many chances to nab a LT in the draft. But this year there are some who may develop and Guyton is one of them. He may be a RT, but he may have enough to move over and grow into a very important role.

Look at last year's tackle class. These big guys are hard to find. There simply aren't enough of them so you gotta roll the dice a bit when it comes to finding one. That or draft really fucking high which is never going to happen with a coach of McVay's quality.
I get it, I'm just simply not a Guyton fan and the fact that OT's are in demand isn't going to change my stance on that. I do understand the concept of supply and demand.

I think he's 2nd round talent, not 1st round (and particularly for this team). I'm also of the opinion that AJax is at least as good as Guyton will be this year, and signing Ajax to an extension is not out of realm of possibility and probably is the best option, though I'm sure the Rams want to see how he is this season.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Shrager could easily end up being wrong simply by things falling a certain way. So I don't read too much into his comments. McVay probably does prefer more offensive options there at 19. But that requires the players he wants to be there.
Based upon the team spending, its clear which side of the ball McVay favors (and he should by all accounts). I just think the most likely pick is going to be someone like Thomas Jr, Bowers, or AD Mitchell if he's going to continue to add to the offense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get it, I'm just simply not a Guyton fan and the fact that OT's are in demand isn't going to change my stance on that. I do understand the concept of supply and demand.

I think he's 2nd round talent, not 1st round (and particularly for this team). I'm also of the opinion that AJax is at least as good as Guyton will be this year, and signing Ajax to an extension is not out of realm of possibility and probably is the best option, though I'm sure the Rams want to see how he is this season.
Maybe the Rams are a fan of Guyton, might have to live with it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just simply not a Guyton fan
Neither am I. He's a project type OT. But he's also the project type OT that never makes it to us in round 2. So if the Rams take a flyer on him I think there is logic to it.

And he's not the only OT in that discussion either. I'm not a fan of Mims, think he's a turd in fact, but if they take him I will understand their rationale.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind if the draft went down like this.

pff_mock_results-11.png

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah. He could be paying attention to the same stuff that’s out there about McVay loving offensive weapons, the Rams trying to trade up for a skill position player in 2023, and Snead’s story about having to rein Sean in on draft day because he gets excited about the offensive players.

So, then to sound convincing Shrager puts the puzzle together and presents it like he’s in the know.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Agree completely with your first paragraph.

I agree on AJ. IMO, he's fine and they should extend him now. But I know better than to presume that McSnead shares my opinion so I do my best to try to get into their mindset. Look, this is a deep OT class and it's not often we have a pick as high as #19. This would be a great opportunity to nail down that LT spot for the next 10 years.

They can backfill needs with the remaining 10 picks. They are pretty good at doing that without 1st round picks b/c you know...they haven't had one in 8 years and have still been the 2nd most successful NFL team in that period after KC.
Thank you for going there.
IOW, pick #19 could almost be viewed as a luxury in the sense that they usually don’t have one.
Maybe they DO. draft for the future at #19 and then dedicate the rest of their picks to winning right now.

…but that opens up all kinds of discussions on who that pick could be. A QB perhaps?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Thank you for going there.
IOW, pick #19 could almost be viewed as a luxury in the sense that they usually don’t have one.
Maybe they DO. draft for the future at #19 and then dedicate the rest of their picks to winning right now.

…but that opens up all kinds of discussions on who that pick could be. A QB perhaps?
I have a hard time believing a QB would happen but even that is possible. We have no idea what Stafford has told them about his future plans.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
My latest...I think this would be a solid draft. Get that development LT, but still get DL & Edge first. Then add some potential big play offensive skill help, with secondary depth and more DL/LB depth
1000003548.png