Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

Los Angeles Rams

Tyler Guyton
Oklahoma · OT · Junior (RS)
I'll go on record with something of a guarantee here: If the Rams do not trade back, you better believe Sean McVay's first-ever first-round selection will be an offensive player. Los Angeles shored up its interior O-line in free agency. Guyton -- a bit of a project, but someone who can play either tackle spot -- gives Matthew Stafford another promising young guy to protect him in his 16th NFL season.
I hate that pick.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I could not HATE Schragers mock more. I am very low on Guyton and think that he helps us absolutely zero this season. This mock fell pretty badly for us, but, I'd MUCH rather grab (they go after us): Verse, Thomas Jr, DeJean, Robinson, AD Mitchell, Penix, Nix, a bag of frito lays, etc. Guyton is one of the last guys I'd want for us at 19.

Its a bit scary since Schrager is connected and did this draft based on intel. :thumbsdown:
I previously hated the idea of taking an OT but I'm thinking more and more that is what will happen.

What do you feel about JC Latham, Fashanu, and Fautanu?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One other thing to like about him is that if you like him, you see a role for him bumping inside on passing downs as he did in college regardless of bulking up and then you can still try for a rotational pass rusher in the 2nd.
Which is funny because he's smaller than Latu. Verse had a better 3 cone and 10 yard split than Latu and Tuener. But for some reason Verse has to change his position and bulk up. The three of them are rated right in line with little variation.

Most experts have them all as day 1 edge starters except a lot of ROD who doesn't like Verse. I think Verse is the perfect compliment to Young but that's just me.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I hate that pick.
Agree. It seems like a pick for the future. With Noteboom and Jackson back, Guyton might be the 7th OL.

If the Rams back-up Center was not a starting Guard or Tackle; and the Rams (like many teams) only dress seven OL on Game-day, Guyton could be in street clothes most Sundays.

I respect and acknowledge Peter Schrager's Rams' connections and insight but should the Rams stick at #19, what offensive players figure to be available that could contribute in 2024?

Brian Thomas ... maybe
The next group of WRs is Mitchell, Coleman, Franklin, Worthy, Legette, McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson and Corley. Many of those guys would be extreme reaches at #19.

A QB? ... Penix or Nix ... they would be the 3rd QB in 2024; and unlikely to be game-day-active

A different OL ... some good ones should be there but, like Guyton, none would figure to start in 2024.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Snead compared Kobie Turner to Grady Jarrett, too. Last draft, he tasked Demoff with reminding him to not pass on the next Grady Jarrett. That was Demoff's only job. Snead said he almost traded back but Demoff reminded him and the rest is history.

The question is, do they need/want two Grady Jarretts?
Can you have too many Grady Jarretts?

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...

View: https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1779905359164981751

This this 100 percent this! Though I don't think the clip shows a lot of guys who would have done much better in other organizations... actually, probably Joey Harrington.

Woof No GIF by ARTEfr

Woof...that's quite a collection of "talent"

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
If we were to go OT, I’d say Troy Fautanu is a better target.
If we do something stupid (IMO) and go OT, almost all OT prospects are a better option then Guyton (projected 1st rounders). But again, I do not see how this will improve our team this year. We have a 36 year old QB and a older battered great WR. I don't think we have the luxury of drafting a future OL pick (who will warm a bench this year) with our first premium pick in, what, 8 years?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
If we do something stupid (IMO) and go OT, almost all OT prospects are a better option then Guyton (projected 1st rounders). But again, I do not see how this will improve our team this year. We have a 36 year old QB and a older battered great WR. I don't think we have the luxury of drafting a future OL pick (who will warm a bench this year) with our first premium pick in, what, 8 years?
Well two things...

Who said that the OT would warm a bench? I don't see why the draftee wouldn't be able to compete with AJ and possibly win the job.

It's precisely because they haven't had a 1st round pick in 8 years but have still been super successful that we shouldn't freak out if they "waste" the pick on luxury this year.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
The Rams are not going OL in the first round. I see next to no way for this to happen.
If we stay at 19 (a huge if, imo) it will be for a WR or Michael Penix.

The more likely strategy will be to trade down, stay in the first round, and then go BPA.
We can then backfill needs with the extra picks.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well two things...

Who said that the OT would warm a bench? I don't see why the draftee wouldn't be able to compete with AJ and possibly win the job.

It's precisely because they haven't had a 1st round pick in 8 years but have still been super successful that we shouldn't freak out if they "waste" the pick on luxury this year.
Possibly is the key word. An edge or DT are guaranteed to start and contribute day 1. Hell, even a CB, Safety, or WR would contribute day 1. It's entire possible that if they draft a OL, they don't play this year at all.

Our offseason has already been all about improving the OL. I think we have done a good job there. AJ is plenty capable of playing LT and will likely look even better this year because of development and the improvement on the inside. So we are going to use a premium pick on a guy that has to compete with an already solid starting player rather then fill a black hole void we have on the team and draft an immediate starter?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Given that Schrager and McVay are supposed to be friends, from what I understand, my guess is we can all now rest assure that Guyton won't be the selection and they probably won't even take an OLineman in the 1st round.

This may even be priming the pump for an OLine needy team to trade up.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Possibly is the key word. An edge or DT are guaranteed to start and contribute day 1. Hell, even a CB, Safety, or WR would contribute day 1. It's entire possible that if they draft a OL, they don't play this year at all.

Our offseason has already been all about improving the OL. I think we have done a good job there. AJ is plenty capable of playing LT and will likely look even better this year because of development and the improvement on the inside. So we are going to use a premium pick on a guy that has to compete with an already solid starting player rather then fill a black hole void we have on the team and draft an immediate starter?
Agree completely with your first paragraph.

I agree on AJ. IMO, he's fine and they should extend him now. But I know better than to presume that McSnead shares my opinion so I do my best to try to get into their mindset. Look, this is a deep OT class and it's not often we have a pick as high as #19. This would be a great opportunity to nail down that LT spot for the next 10 years.

They can backfill needs with the remaining 10 picks. They are pretty good at doing that without 1st round picks b/c you know...they haven't had one in 8 years and have still been the 2nd most successful NFL team in that period after KC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I could not HATE Schragers mock more. I am very low on Guyton and think that he helps us absolutely zero this season. This mock fell pretty badly for us, but, I'd MUCH rather grab (they go after us): Verse, Thomas Jr, DeJean, Robinson, AD Mitchell, Penix, Nix, a bag of frito lays, etc. Guyton is one of the last guys I'd want for us at 19.

Its a bit scary since Schrager is connected and did this draft based on intel. :thumbsdown:
I think Guyton is a better prospect than you're giving him cred for. He has a chance I think to be a LT. Good size. Physical. And the redshirt is a nice advantage if he goes to the Rams.

I get that you don't want a pick that doesn't contribute in 2024. But supply and demand factor in to this stuff too, and the Rams don't expect to be in a position where they have a shot on guys who may develop into long term answers at LT. This year's group is stronger than usual at the top so taking advantage would not be the worst thing.

Here's his game vs Texas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA02N1Chw2w

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Given that Schrager and McVay are supposed to be friends, from what I understand, my guess is we can all now rest assure that Guyton won't be the selection and they probably won't even take an OLineman in the 1st round.

This may even be priming the pump for an OLine needy team to trade up.
Please be the case
I think Guyton is a better prospect than you're giving him cred for. He has a chance I think to be a LT. Good size. Physical. And the redshirt is a nice advantage if he goes to the Rams.

I get that you don't want a pick that doesn't contribute in 2024. But supply and demand factor in to this stuff too, and the Rams don't expect to be in a position where they have a shot on guys who may develop into long term answers at LT. This year's group is stronger than usual at the top so taking advantage would not be the worst thing.

Here's his game vs Texas.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA02N1Chw2w

Watched that. Didn't see a special LT. A good amount of his snaps he was blocking Vernon Broughton and Jett Bush who both might be bank tellers next year as well.

I actually really like some of the OL prospects this year in the draft, Guyton is one I wouldn't touch until the 2nd round. There is some talented OL prospects in the 2nd-4th rounds - where we should be thinking about OL. At 19, that is just wasting adding talent that could help us achieve what we want to do this season.