Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a question... does Byron Young play only on 1 side of the line? And if that's the case, does that mean that the Rams have to draft an Edge who plays the opposite side? The reason why I am wondering is because of the current Edges in the draft. Do they all play on the same side or are they interchangeable? Could have an effect on which Edge the Rams select.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I have a question... does Byron Young play only on 1 side of the line? And if that's the case, does that mean that the Rams have to draft an Edge who plays the opposite side? The reason why I am wondering is because of the current Edges in the draft. Do they all play on the same side or are they interchangeable? Could have an effect on which Edge the Rams select.

@JimY53, any help here on this?

I feel like Rams haven't traditionally flipped their OLBs much, no? In the past there was a strong side OLB ala Floyd who was more of a speed to power type? And then the speed guy on the other side?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t remember Byron young switching sides.

What is going to be important is that whoever the Rams get to take Hoecht’s spot, is that they will be a fluid enough athlete to drop into coverage. Teams knew that Hoecht was not going to be able to cover.

I would like a well rounded edge. I’m not so sure that any of the top four are that well rounded. They all have their limitations. That is why I want BPA at a position of need, and not a forced pick based on position.

dang

Legend
Traded down from 19 traded down from 99 and then up from the 5th for a 4th.

This would be quite a haul for the Rams. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about versatile players so loved DeJean (CB/NB/SS) and Edge Cooper (ILB/OLB/Situational Edge) as first 2 picks.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
@JimY53, any help here on this?

I feel like Rams haven't traditionally flipped their OLBs much, no? In the past there was a strong side OLB ala Floyd who was more of a speed to power type? And then the speed guy on the other side?
No, it's not always left or right or stong or weak--when Floyd was around he was, in general, the LOLB ... but not always ...

with Young and Hoecht they both played both -- hard to pin down. It's very situational,
vs Colts

k
2024-04-13_19-05-20.jpg
2024-04-13_19-03-48.jpg
2024-04-13_19-04-09.jpg
2024-04-13_19-05-04.jpg

but vs Cards, Hoecht seemed to be on left, no matter what, making Hoecht strong sometimes and weak sometimes. To the field some to the boundary some

But the majority of the time Hoecht was on the left ... same with Floyd both maybe 6-=70% left, Young was about 60% on the right.

The thing you have to determine is what they were on the side --- was ball onf left or right hash? Was the TE to the left or right?
Was the strong side (3 receivers) to the left of right ... or were they going to be left or right no matter the side of the hash or the strength of the TE or receivers/

The last part I have not put a lot of time into it ... and it definitely varied game to game and even during games, so it was determined by opponent in those cases

As far as draft, I think colleges do a lot of the same things ... looking at the highlights, and others who study tape more would know but I see Latu playing both. Seems to me Turner is more on the right ... Braslwell left, Chop looks mostly left but it seems all of them move around some. Verse seems more right side to me..

but my opinion that does not matter all these guys seem to play both

Here is AZ seems Hoecht on left most of time.
2024-04-13_19-16-47.jpg
2024-04-13_19-17-26.jpg
2024-04-13_19-19-19.jpg

2024-04-13_19-19-19.jpg

Attachments

• 2024-04-13_19-18-19.jpg
    2024-04-13_19-18-19.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 27

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This would be quite a haul for the Rams. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about versatile players so loved DeJean (CB/NB/SS) and Edge Cooper (ILB/OLB/Situational Edge) as first 2 picks.
Yeah I'm a big fan of both those guys especially Edgerrin. He could conceivably start next to Jones or he could start opposite Young and make Kneeland a wasted pick at worst or depth at best.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Not being a draftnik and looking at the various "big boards" around the internet, plus based on 'value/need' of NFL teams, here's how I think they are ranked:

1. Williams, QB
2. Danials, QB
3. Harrison, WR
4. Alt, T
5. Bowers, TE
6. Nabers, WR
7. Maye, QB
8. Turner, Edge
9. Arnold, CB
10. Mitchell, CB

11. Fashanu, T
12. Latu, Edge