Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
To have Barton and Mims above Fuaga seems borderline insane. Fuaga is a dude.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
This one feels too good to be true but would be nice.
1712599330142.png

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wild big board. Maye #1. Mims #11. Barton #12. Thomas #15. Certainly disagree with several of these. Actually, all the posted ones.
Yeah, def worth checking out. He love love loves Barton. I kinda just respect people including Tice finishing up their film watches and just having the courage to say this is what I think. It's easy to do with a borderline day 2 pick or someone late in the draft but to pound the table for someone in the 1st who people don't see the same, that's cool.

FWIW, he love love loves Dejean.

Also, his dad coached the sh*t out of oline, I weigh his opinion a little more than others. Thorn is the best oline guy online though I think.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Ignoring needs (front 7 D), DeJean seems like an immediate impact and potentially elite player. I really want an edge rusher or DT for our first rounder. But DeJean just screams playmaker / difference maker on the field. I wouldn’t feel bad whatsoever if he ended up and our pick.
And our ST play would rocket to at least middle of the pack with him returning punts. Love his ability there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wild big board. Maye #1. Mims #11. Barton #12. Thomas #15. Certainly disagree with several of these. Actually, all the posted ones.
Barton could be the best center and guard both in this draft depending on where he plays.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Athletic just released a new mock, with us trading up:

12. Los Angeles Rams (from DEN)*: Dallas Turner, Edge, Alabama​

Projected trade: Los Angeles Rams trade No. 19 and No. 52 to Denver for No. 12

Potential win-win with this projected trade: Denver needs more draft picks and the Rams really need more help off the edge. Los Angeles might be able to sit at 19 and still find a quality edge, but Turner is the No. 1 option in the class.
What do you guys think about this? I'm not really into it, for one, 2 picks later CB Mitchell goes. Verse goes at 15. Murphy goes at 17. DeJean goes at 25. LAtu goes at 26. Newton at 27. I'd rather sit and take one of these or even trade back if they think they can still get one.

Then, what we miss out in the 2nd round is: Tampa at our pick 52. Legette goes 53. Trice 61. Pearsall 62. Kneeland 71. Braswell 74.

We then get Khyree Jackson, CB at 83.
Rattler at 99.

Personally, I take Mitchell/Latu/Murphy at our pick and grab the talent in 2nd/3rd.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This year Kiper has the Rams trading up in round two for QB Michael Penix Jr. in his last mock draft for this draft class.

First Field Yates. Now Kiper.
I hope not. I don’t see the fit with Penix. A QB that rarely throws over the middle of the field seems like an odd fit for McVay. From a leadership stand point it seems like a great fit.

However, as I pointed out before, McVay being seen talking to Rome Odunze, doesn’t necessarily mean that they were talking ABOUT ODUNZE. They may have been talking about Penix Or Polk.

Nix seems like a much better fit for this offense and he can still run. When Penix was at Indiana he could fly. But the knee injury seems to have hampered that. That would be another reason why I’d rather they not trade up for Penix.
Ignoring needs (front 7 D), DeJean seems like an immediate impact and potentially elite player. I really want an edge rusher or DT for our first rounder. But DeJean just screams playmaker / difference maker on the field. I wouldn’t feel bad whatsoever if he ended up and our pick.
Jourdan discussed that without Donald she thinks the Rams will be forced to go with a more traditional build. She pointed to them spending money in FA on the DBs. With Donald they didn’t feel the need to do that. So, the ‘Rams don’t take safeties or corners early’ trend may be a thing of the past.

They would still need to improve the pass rush, but better corners and safeties is another way to do that. Stop QBs from throwing the ball in 1.5 seconds.

So, DeJean may still be an option.

What do you guys think about this? I'm not really into it, for one, 2 picks later CB Mitchell goes. Verse goes at 15. Murphy goes at 17. DeJean goes at 25. LAtu goes at 26. Newton at 27. I'd rather sit and take one of these or even trade back if they think they can still get one.

Then, what we miss out in the 2nd round is: Tampa at our pick 52. Legette goes 53. Trice 61. Pearsall 62. Kneeland 71. Braswell 74.

Rattler at 99.

Personally, I take Mitchell/Latu/Murphy at our pick and grab the talent in 2nd/3rd.
No thanks to trading up for a one dimensional pass rusher who needs to develop his pass rush moves. Yates said most of Turner’s big plays were pushed his way or cleanup sacks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love that there is not a lot of info on who the Rams are talking to. In the past it seemed like they were too transparent, or being spied on by an ‘insider’.

I see many theories and at this point it seems like they could go in so many directions and we still haven’t heard any talk about the Rams loving a certain player in this draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
On the first draft podcast, Mel Kiper and Field Yates claim that some teams have Latu off their board due to his past injury.

Tice has Latu listed in the mid 20’s on his big board.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the first draft podcast, Mel Kiper and Field Yates claim that some teams have Latu off their board due to his past injury.

Tice has Latu listed in the mid 20’s on his big board.
Hes great but more fans seem to brush off the injuries, teams seem to not be doing the same.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
We need a run plugging DT to go with at least one Edge. In an ideal world we would draft a 3 technique too but unless we trade down we probably don’t have the draft capital for all three

WestCoastRam

Legend

Rattler at 99.

DON'T LOVE! I don't think these edges go that high in other drafts so we're paying a premium for a guy who in other drafts would start as a mid round pick.

I don't want to force an edge pick in the first round nor trade up for one when even the best guys in this draft seem like high 2nd level edge rushers to me.

Very happy to stay put and grab a Verse or a Latu there or a Murphy and then trade up for Kneeland!*

*In fact, I like a scenario where we might get a good deal on a defender at 19 and then trade up from 52 for another defender sitting there at the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd. Has anyone discussed this possibility yet?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

Rattler at 99.

If the draft falls this way and we weren't trading up, I'll be bummed. I don't love any of the options at 19. Latu would be the most compelling pick but I'm wary of his medicals and his lack of elite athleticism. In this scenario, I'd strongly prefer a modest trade back.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
DON'T LOVE! I don't think these edges go that high in other drafts so we're paying a premium for a guy who in other drafts would start as a mid round pick.

I don't want to force an edge pick in the first round nor trade up for one when even the best guys in this draft seem like high 2nd level edge rushers to me.

Very happy to stay put and grab a Verse or a Latu there or a Murphy and then trade up for Kneeland!*

*In fact, I like a scenario where we might get a good deal on a defender at 19 and then trade up from 52 for another defender sitting there at the end of the 1st or top of the 2nd. Has anyone discussed this possibility yet?
Do we still need Kneeland if we get Verse or Latu?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Do we still need Kneeland if we get Verse or Latu?
I think it's debatable. But I wouldn't put it past them to use two picks in the top 100 on edge rushers and then grab a big space eating DT and a DE later in the draft.

Not sure you trade for him though if you grab one of those guys. But if they go Murphy or Dejean then maybe you do.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the draft falls this way and we weren't trading up, I'll be bummed. I don't love any of the options at 19. Latu would be the most compelling pick but I'm wary of his medicals and his lack of elite athleticism. In this scenario, I'd strongly prefer a modest trade back.
Are you just not high on the defenders in the draft this year? Nearly all of them are on the board at our pick at 19. Think only Turner and Arnold were gone. I'd be very happy grabbing Q.Mitchell also, think he's basically tied with Arnold at top DB.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Are you just not high on the defenders in the draft this year? Nearly all of them are on the board at our pick at 19. Think only Turner and Arnold were gone. I'd be very happy grabbing Q.Mitchell also, think he's basically tied with Arnold at top DB.
In this mock most defenders were gone. Arnold was gone at 11, Q. Mitchell at 14, Verse 15, Murphy 17, and Wiggins 18. These are the guys and Turner that I think have solid 1st round grades. And out of these five, I would be fine with Turner, Arnold, Mitchel, and Murphy if they last to 19.

The way it feels the talent is falling into place, I'm most in favor of trading up or trading back.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I think it's debatable. But I wouldn't put it past them to use two picks in the top 100 on edge rushers and then grab a big space eating DT and a DE later in the draft.

Not sure you trade for him though if you grab one of those guys. But if they go Murphy or Dejean then maybe you do.
I think they maybe end up with two edge rushers in the whole draft but I'd be shocked if they traded up for one in the 2nd after taking one in the 1st.

DE/DT is just as high a need and that position isn't super deep so I don't see them waiting until later in the draft to address it. I think they opt for one DE/DT and one edge in the first 100 picks.

WestCoastRam

Legend
In this mock most defenders were gone. Arnold was gone at 11, Q. Mitchell at 14, Verse 15, Murphy 17, and Wiggins 18. These are the guys and Turner that I think have solid 1st round grades. And out of these five, I would be fine with Turner, Arnold, Mitchel, and Murphy if they last to 19.

The way it feels the talent is falling into place, I'm most in favor of trading up or trading back.
If all those defenders were drafted beforehand there will be some great talent on O available that I suspect a team might want to trade up for. Though I'd be down with Latu at 19.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We gonna get a player as there should be plenty of options at 19. Getting be exciting to see who we get. In McSnead I trust lol