Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I've got to be honest: I love Michael Hall, Jr. in the 2nd round. I think his ceiling is very high. Maybe he's inconsistent but from the little I've watched I can't tell that Murphy and Newton are much better than him. His speed and power are every bit as good as theirs IMO.

I'm also high on Braden Fiske, Kris Jenkins, and Ruke Orhorhoro.
Think Jenkins is a great pick with Snead's stated desire to move Turner to 3T.

I'd love a scenario where we get Verse or Latu and then able to get an X receiver in the 2nd and pick up Jenkins in the 3rd!

WestCoastRam

Legend
If they take Cooper, he'll stay on the field with Jones.
Yeah, you do that if you pick him. I just don't see his talent worth taking at that spot when superior talent at needed position are likely on the board.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
What if the team believes that Murphy, Newton, & Kobie Turner would be best at 3 Tech?

The Rams may be better served going with someone like Kristian Boyd, the 6'2" 320 Northern Iowa DT that was said to be destroying people at the East West Shrine practices like Turner did last year. Like Turner, he probably could be had in the 3rd round, too.
Yup. That works.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Murphy and Newton are not the end of the DT/E talent in this draft. Guys like Ohorhoro, Jenkins, Fiske, Smith, Hall can be found at 52 if we decide to go edge at 19.
Man... you just named a bunch of guys that that play guys that play DT but not a bunch of guys that play the same position of DT.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
View attachment 65133

Hey, I'm walking here!

Trying this on for size. FWIW, I think Kneeland goes top of 2nd round and Grayson is possibly gone before 99. But showing the thought process of building a more traditional D and not getting a top 3 pass rusher here but possibly a good one in Kneeland and then doubling down with Murphy.

Then we work to fill out the DT and DE roles later in the draft giving the line a maximum amount of depth and ability to platoon guys right away vs relying on one guy who's most likely a high end secondary rusher to provide all the extra rush next season.
Javon Baker has had some character red flags. I doubt he’s on the Rams radar.
It would seem Latu is the most likley first pick for the Rams. Maybe as much as a 40% chance. Probably followed by Murphy at say 15%, and then a host of others at less than 10%.
It’s all speculation at this point. For all these mockers know, the Rams may not have either on their draft board for other reasons like medical evaluations or character flaws.
The thing about Murphy and Newton is that the chances of getting a great DT outside of the 1st round is no long really a possibility. Teams now value them too highly.

In fact, Turner is the best performing DT outside of the 1st round in years.

If the team thinks Murphy or Newton are equal talent to edge rushers available, I think you have to go with one of those two and try to manufacture edge rush for another year with some role playing picks afterwards and possibly a trade at the deadline.
I think both are better options than all of the first round edge rushers.
Murphy and Newton are not the end of the DT/E talent in this draft. Guys like Ohorhoro, Jenkins, Fiske, Smith, Hall can be found at 52 if we decide to go edge at 19.
They are the best penetrators. There are run defenders after them. Pass rush, disruption is usually the first round DT trait that teams covet.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Javon Baker has had some character red flags. I doubt he’s on the Rams radar.

It’s all speculation at this point. For all these mockers know, the Rams may not have either on their draft board for other reasons like medical evaluations or character flaws.

I think both are better options than all of the first round edge rushers.

They are the best penetrators. There are run defenders after them. Pass rush, disruption is usually the first round DT trait that teams covet.
Maybe. Aside from Newton, none have the numbers to justify the difference. Murphy has 8 career sacks. Fiske had 6 last year alone.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Think Jenkins is a great pick with Snead's stated desire to move Turner to 3T.

I'd love a scenario where we get Verse or Latu and then able to get an X receiver in the 2nd and pick up Jenkins in the 3rd!
I'd be very happy with Jenkins. I would add though that I don't see him lasting until the 3rd. I suspect many of the DT names we've been discussing are mid to late 2nd rounders.

What about Verse/Latu in the 1st, Jenkins/Fiske/Hall in the 2nd, and Brendon Rice as the X receiver in the 3rd?

WestCoastRam

Legend
What about Verse/Latu in the 1st, Jenkins/Fiske/Hall in the 2nd, and Brendon Rice as the X receiver in the 3rd?
That's intriguing but would rather see us move down in the 2nd and grab Jenkins (think he's a bottom 2nd at best). Fiske intrigues and you could play him at DE, I think. I don't know what to think about Hall.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The thing about Murphy and Newton is that the chances of getting a great DT outside of the 1st round is no long really a possibility. Teams now value them too highly.

In fact, Turner is the best performing DT outside of the 1st round in years.

If the team thinks Murphy or Newton are equal talent to edge rushers available, I think you have to go with one of those two and try to manufacture edge rush for another year with some role playing picks afterwards and possibly a trade at the deadline.
Javon Hargrave was also a 3rd rd pick. That's just off the top of my head...so they can be found.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Javon Hargrave was also a 3rd rd pick. That's just off the top of my head...so they can be found.
Hargrave was drafted in 2016.

I think the argument is that you can't really do it anymore in today's NFL.

The game is different than what it was even 4 years ago, even 2 years ago. Teams have begun to value interior pass rush much more than before and interior pass rush, while not as effective as the best edge rush is harder to find outside of the 1st round now.

I will say Turner seems to be an exception to the rule.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
That's intriguing but would rather see us move down in the 2nd and grab Jenkins (think he's a bottom 2nd at best). Fiske intrigues and you could play him at DE, I think. I don't know what to think about Hall.
I'd be fine with a small trade down or even with taking any of those three at 52.

Also, I believe all three of them have alignment versatility with the length and strength to play DE, DT, 5T, 3T, etc.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome, wait, what's Baker's character concerns?
I don't exactly know. I keep hearing people say it on Podcasts. He was at Alabama and transferred to Kentucky, didn't show up and then transferred to UCF. I don't know if he was kicked off the team or had a falling out with coaches at Alabama. Its often a bit nebulous with talking about these things. But I hear some say he'd be a first rounder if not for his history..

He absolutely has the skills. Former five star receiver with huge 10 " hands. He has a great catch percentage. The only real concern with his game is that he's not physical enough and struggles with press coverage.

Last edited: