Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
1712617751655.png

Hey, I'm walking here!

Trying this on for size. FWIW, I think Kneeland goes top of 2nd round and Grayson is possibly gone before 99. But showing the thought process of building a more traditional D and not getting a top 3 pass rusher here but possibly a good one in Kneeland and then doubling down with Murphy.

Then we work to fill out the DT and DE roles later in the draft giving the line a maximum amount of depth and ability to platoon guys right away vs relying on one guy who's most likely a high end secondary rusher to provide all the extra rush next season.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Athletic just released a new mock, with us trading up:

What do you guys think about this? I'm not really into it, for one, 2 picks later CB Mitchell goes. Verse goes at 15. Murphy goes at 17. DeJean goes at 25. LAtu goes at 26. Newton at 27. I'd rather sit and take one of these or even trade back if they think they can still get one.

Then, what we miss out in the 2nd round is: Tampa at our pick 52. Legette goes 53. Trice 61. Pearsall 62. Kneeland 71. Braswell 74.

We then get Khyree Jackson, CB at 83.
Rattler at 99.

Personally, I take Mitchell/Latu/Murphy at our pick and grab the talent in 2nd/3rd.
Also another one released 4 days ago with us staying put and taking Latu.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Also another one released 4 days ago with us staying put and taking Latu.
It would seem Latu is the most likley first pick for the Rams. Maybe as much as a 40% chance. Probably followed by Murphy at say 15%, and then a host of others at less than 10%.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would seem Latu is the most likley first pick for the Rams. Maybe as much as a 40% chance. Probably followed by Murphy at say 15%, and then a host of others at less than 10%.
Like was posted by somebody else though there's a lot of talk of teams having taken Latu off their board. A lot around here shrug off those past medical problems, we'll see how teams react. Granted this also could be smoke screen yes I get that but he seems to have scared teams away.

I think DT is one of my least sought after 1st rounders, people are too fascinated with replacing AD which we obviously can't so get the best defender, if McVay doesn't get a WR. Forcing a DT will just make people think he has to be the next AD. Also IMO there are day 2 DT's that are better than most of the day 2 Edges and probably on par with the day 2 CB IMO.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Like was posted by somebody else though there's a lot of talk of teams having taken Latu off their board. A lot around here shrug off those past medical problems, we'll see how teams react. Granted this also could be smoke screen yes I get that but he seems to have scared teams away.

I think DT is one of my least sought after 1st rounders, people are too fascinated with replacing AD which we obviously can't so get the best defender, if McVay doesn't get a WR. Forcing a DT will just make people think he has to be the next AD. Also IMO there are day 2 DT's that are better than most of the day 2 Edges and probably on par with the day 2 CB IMO.
I thought we needed a DE/DT before AD retired. Brown is a free agent next year. Williams is gone. So getting a DE/DT isn't about replacing AD IMO.

I also don't think it would be forcing one at 19 since Murphy and Newton are projected to go in that range and are comparable talents to the edge talent that will be available then.

If Latu is off the Rams board it's going to be hard for them to get a 1st round edge. I'm still not sure Verse is a schematic fit and Turner will be long gone. So I could see them doing DT in round 1 on that basis alone. Also IMO DT will kind of thin out by early 3rd round.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The thing about Murphy and Newton is that the chances of getting a great DT outside of the 1st round is no long really a possibility. Teams now value them too highly.

In fact, Turner is the best performing DT outside of the 1st round in years.

If the team thinks Murphy or Newton are equal talent to edge rushers available, I think you have to go with one of those two and try to manufacture edge rush for another year with some role playing picks afterwards and possibly a trade at the deadline.

dang

Legend
The thing about Murphy and Newton is that the chances of getting a great DT outside of the 1st round is no long really a possibility. Teams now value them too highly.

If the team thinks Murphy or Newton are equal talent to edge rushers available, I think you have to go with one of those two and try to manufacture edge rush for another year with some role playing picks afterwards and possibly a trade at the deadline.
I’ve heard mention that Edgerrin Cooper can play inside and outside. Could he be a R2.52 picks that could provide ILB/OLB/Edge support depending on the situation. Maybe through on a R5 pick to move up a bit to get him if necessary?

Memphis Ram

Legend

Not sure what to believe. I've heard that teams haven't had any issues with Latu medically, thus far.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure what to believe. I've heard that teams haven't had any issues with Latu medically, thus far.
Sure I see that all I was pointing out is that some teams took him off their board according to reports so the rest either aren't saying or have left him on their board.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Murphy and Newton are not the end of the DT/E talent in this draft. Guys like Ohorhoro, Jenkins, Fiske, Smith, Hall can be found at 52 if we decide to go edge at 19.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I’ve heard mention that Edgerrin Cooper can play inside and outside. Could he be a R2.52 picks that could provide ILB/OLB/Edge support depending on the situation. Maybe through on a R5 pick to move up a bit to get him if necessary?
I don't think he offers much at edge other than a nice change up - which isn't nothing. I think there's better value at edge, DT, WR around that pick.

Generally speaking I don't see the value in getting a guy at ILB until late unless they really like the person and down with Jones walking in a year.

Don't see the player on the field enough to make it worth it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not buying that at all, you can say the same about a lot of positions and good players still come from every round at every position.

Memphis Ram

Legend

What if the team believes that Murphy, Newton, & Kobie Turner would be best at 3 Tech?

The Rams may be better served going with someone like Kristian Boyd, the 6'2" 320 Northern Iowa DT that was said to be destroying people at the East West Shrine practices like Turner did last year. Like Turner, he probably could be had in the 3rd round, too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think he offers much at edge other than a nice change up - which isn't nothing. I think there's better value at edge, DT, WR around that pick.

Generally speaking I don't see the value in getting a guy at ILB until late unless they really like the person and down with Jones walking in a year.

Don't see the player on the field enough to make it worth it.
If they take Cooper, he'll stay on the field with Jones.

dang

Legend
If they take Cooper, he'll stay on the field with Jones.
Dude had 8 sacks , 10 QBHs and 17 tfls last year as an ILB. He’s 6.3 230 coming out of TX A&M. Von Miller was 6.3 240 coming out of TX A&M. Not saying Cooper can sniff Vons Edge play but he’s much more than a prototypical ILB thumper. I’ll throw Payton Wilson/NC State in the conversation as well. Even bigger at 6.4 238.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M

I've got to be honest: I love Michael Hall, Jr. in the 2nd round. I think his ceiling is very high. Maybe he's inconsistent but from the little I've watched I can't tell that Murphy and Newton are much better than him. His speed and power are every bit as good as theirs IMO.

I'm also high on Braden Fiske, Kris Jenkins, and Ruke Orhorhoro.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Had Donald not retired, I still was thinking DL early. Just look at the depth chart. Easily one of the weakest units on the team.

As for Latu, he certainly could be one of the surprise fallers and of course it would be due to medicals. We just have no idea what teams are thinking right now. It would be interesting to see how many teams are bringing him in for a visit and who those teams are. That could be a clue.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Dude had 8 sacks , 10 QBHs and 17 tfls last year as an ILB. He’s 6.3 230 coming out of TX A&M. Von Miller was 6.3 240 coming out of TX A&M. Not saying Cooper can sniff Vons Edge play but he’s much more than a prototypical ILB thumper. I’ll throw Payton Wilson/NC State in the conversation as well. Even bigger at 6.4 238.
Both are crazy productive too. If they can be projected as + edge defenders, you can use them in a lot of ways and they won't be leaving the field. Wilson's injuries are a bit of a concern, but he's still one of the best athletes in the entire draft.