Mock Draft Tidbits / 2024 Draft Talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
FWIW, I think like 3-4 teams in the teens in this draft don't have a 2nd round pick. I suspect that some of them might consider a trade down to add draft capital.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I like Murphy, but there’s no way I take him if Verse is still on the board.
I mean, I'm a bit agnostic here. Murphy might be the superior prospect. Verse will probably be a high secondary rusher. (Which I'd prob still take at 19 depending on who's avail).

What is interesting is that I'm fairly confident Latu will be there so if you love him great. I don't love him. He's okay. I'd be maybe sorta okay with taking him at 19.

Let's also remember, the last guy to be taken with a neck issue high was Van Der Esch. Who just retired after 5 seasons.

I can see Latu going in the 20s and also around pick 70 cause of that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Length matters...
The Office Thats GIF

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I like Murphy, but there’s no way I take him if Verse is still on the board.
From what I'm gathering, it seems the consensus is concluding that Murphy is the overall better talent. I'm seeing most now saying that he's a top 15 talent.

On Verse, do you see him as a stand up 3/4 edge or will he put his hand in the dirt?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Do you mean the 'consensus' of us? A bunch of fans that don't know what the Hell we are talking about?
No I mean the consensus amongst the NFL expert community...or maybe just the ones I'm hearing.

WestCoastRam

Legend
From what I'm gathering, it seems the consensus is concluding that Murphy is the overall better talent. I'm seeing most now saying that he's a top 15 talent.

On Verse, do you see him as a stand up 3/4 edge or will he put his hand in the dirt?
He can stand up and did it in games, but don't know if he can drop well. I think he could end up being a Leonard Floyd + type of player.

Murphy could be a Geno Atkins guy.

Londoner

Twitchy sophomore.
He can play both. Many people are too quick to pigeonhole players based on their college careers; the pro game is an entirely different kettle of fish.

WestCoastRam

Legend
He can play both. Many people are too quick to pigeonhole players based on their college careers; the pro game is an entirely different kettle of fish.
I mean, he did both in college.

Just for fun, you know who rushed from off the ball LB at times... Kneeland.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'd trade down to the Bills in that scenario and take Jer'Zahn Newton. But I think you'd absolutely have to take him at #19.
Here's the thing about Newton: Can he take on double teams? I don't think there's much tape of him doing it and when he does he gets stymied.

Seems rich to take a guy like that at 19.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's the thing about Newton: Can he take on double teams? I don't think there's much tape of him doing it and when he does he gets stymied.

Seems rich to take a guy like that at 19.

You have Kobie Turner taking most of those double teams. But look at Newton's sophomore year when he wasn't dealing with a foot injury. You saw some of the same shit AD did.

Is he going to be AD? Absolutely not, but I could see a few All-Pros in Newton's future.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah; I was making a more general point.

“So-and-so only did this in college, so that’s all that he’ll ever do.”
Totally. And then, another good question/point is what are projectable traits? For instance, we can look at a guys frame and make a projection of how much more weight/strength he might be able to put on. Or we can look at a guys technique and project what he might be able to improve on.

But so many guys this board seems interested in seem like guys that may be maxed out. Ala Latu. He's pretty well refined in hand placement and pass rush moves but athletically it seems that many consider him maxed out. Not able to add anything to his frame, not like he's gonna grow and add length to his body nor make himself have longer arms.

19's a hard spot to pick in this draft when the talent at D is a bit wanting and it's so low a pick in the 1st.

I like Verse as a guy who might end up being a maxed out Floyd or Murphy as a potential Geno Smith type.

I think the draft would be a smash hit if we could somehow get Murphy and then Kneeland (who sadly I think will be gone by 52).

WestCoastRam

Legend
You have Kobie Turner taking most of those double teams. But look at Newton's sophomore year when he wasn't dealing with a foot injury. You saw some of the same shit AD did.

Is he going to be AD? Absolutely not, but I could see a few All-Pros in Newton's future.
Kobie's not good enough to eat doubles all the time.

I think there's definitely stuff to like about Newton, just think people are way overvaluing him and what he can do. All-pro seems a bit rich and wish-fullfilly.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kobie's not good enough to eat doubles all the time.

I think there's definitely stuff to like about Newton, just think people are way overvaluing him and what he can do. All-pro seems a bit rich and wish-fullfilly.

I'm telling you, I wanted Newton before AD retired. Look at his sophomore year when he was healthy. Newton played through a bad foot injury. He did a lot of the exact things AD did, splitting doubles (his fellow DT, Keith Randolph, benefitted tons from what Newton took), constantly fighting with his hands, his motor, his first-step.

I've watched Ed Oliver, Quinnen Williams, and many other undersized DTs. Newton is the first one that reminds me of AD, and I wanted him before AD retired, to learn from him.

Jer'Zhan Newton is absolutely the real deal.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm telling you, I wanted Newton before AD retired. Look at his sophomore year when he was healthy. Newton played through a bad foot injury. He did a lot of the exact things AD did, splitting doubles (his fellow DT, Keith Randolph, benefitted tons from what Newton took), constantly fighting with his hands, his motor, his first-step.

I've watched Ed Oliver, Quinnen Williams, and many other undersized DTs. Newton is the first one that reminds me of AD, and I wanted him before AD retired, to learn from him.

Jer'Zhan Newton is absolutely the real deal.
I haven't seen the tape of him splitting doubles much... you got... *scratches neck* any of that tape