GAME DAY MNF - Bills at Bengals/Suspended with Damar Hamlin in Critical Condition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Kinda weird the rash of chest trauma related injuries/deaths we have seen in the last few days. Ken Block (RIP), Jeremy Renner and now Damar Hamlin. Sure hope Renner and Hamlin pull through and that is the end of those.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
They used CPR almost immediately, I never heard they used a defibrillator. If CPR got his heart going they didn;t need the defib.
I read they hooked up an AED and I am familiar with those. It determines whether the person is in arrhythmia or the heart has stopped. In his case since they performed CPR it was not an electrical issue so they used compressions.

They have AED's on the sidelines as standard equipment. They also have individuals on the sidelines for trauma that have many specialties like intubation. One could not be in a better place to experience something as critical as your heart stopping.

And actually another good place is on an airplane. Each one is required to have an AED and the Flight Attendants are trained yearly with CPR. There is a kit that has the necessary equipment on board every aircraft for a qualified individual (seems like we always have a battery of qualified people on board) to use for a number of health eventualities on any flight. We have quick communication to medical professionals on the ground to decide courses of actions with guiding the FA's and the people treating the passenger and decision making to where to bring the aircraft. Generally speaking, we can have that airplane on the ground and in the gate with paramedics standing by in the jetway within 20 minutes. If we have this on every airplane, I am sure they have ten times more on the sidelines.

Time is always the number one consideration.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I read they hooked up an AED and I am familiar with those. It determines whether the person is in arrhythmia or the heart has stopped. In his case since they performed CPR it was not an electrical issue so they used compressions.

They have AED's on the sidelines as standard equipment. They also have individuals on the sidelines for trauma that have many specialties like intubation. One could not be in a better place to experience something as critical as your heart stopping.

And actually another good place is on an airplane. Each one is required to have an AED and the Flight Attendants are trained yearly with CPR. There is a kit that has the necessary equipment on board every aircraft for a qualified individual (seems like we always have a battery of qualified people on board) to use for a number of health eventualities on any flight. We have quick communication to medical professionals on the ground to decide courses of actions with guiding the FA's and the people treating the passenger and decision making to where to bring the aircraft. Generally speaking, we can have that airplane on the ground and in the gate with paramedics standing by in the jetway within 20 minutes. If we have this on every airplane, I am sure they have ten times more on the sidelines.

Time is always the number one consideration.
AED stands for Automated External Defibulator, so if he was hooked up to one they did use it. Whether it delivered a shock or not we don't know. But if his heart stopped it wouldnt release a shock.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
To shoot down another misconception about last night here's Troy Vincent on the alleged 5 minute warmup to resume.

"I’m not sure where that came from," Vincent said. "Frankly, there was no time period for the players to get warmed up. Frankly, the only thing that we asked was that [referee] Shawn [Smith] communicate with both head coaches to make sure they had the proper time inside the locker room to discuss what they felt like was best.

NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Troy Vincent attends the Super Bowl XLIX Football Operations Press Conference on Jan. 29, 2015 in Phoenix.
My presumption as well on page 4/7. Hope the kid is feeling better today.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
To shoot down another misconception about last night here's Troy Vincent on the alleged 5 minute warmup to resume.

"I’m not sure where that came from," Vincent said. "Frankly, there was no time period for the players to get warmed up. Frankly, the only thing that we asked was that [referee] Shawn [Smith] communicate with both head coaches to make sure they had the proper time inside the locker room to discuss what they felt like was best.

NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Troy Vincent attends the Super Bowl XLIX Football Operations Press Conference on Jan. 29, 2015 in Phoenix.

"So, I’m not sure where that came from. Five-minute warmup never crossed my mind, personally. And I was the one. ... that was communicating with the commissioner. We never, frankly, it never crossed our mind to talk about warming up to resume play. That’s ridiculous. That’s insensitive. And that’s not a place that we should ever be in."

The league postponed the game without any timetable for a make-up date.
I'm curious to know where the 5 minute thing came from. If it isn't true them someone started the rumor somewhere. The 5 minute thing has had people very angry on social media.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm curious to know where the 5 minute thing came from. If it isn't true them someone started the rumor somewhere. The 5 minute thing has had people very angry on social media.
I think that came down initially from the league office, until they realized the severity of the injury.

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
AED stands for Automated External Defibulator, so if he was hooked up to one they did use it. Whether it delivered a shock or not we don't know. But if his heart stopped it wouldnt release a shock.
Your post is confusing to me and you quoted me.

Is there something in my post you are disputing or just adding to the dialog?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It may have been a standard response from the league when no one really knew what was going on. Or it could have come from a lot of sources as it is apparently done after most lengthy game disruptions.

People on social media look for things to get angry about. I doubt it was put out there by someone because they valued this game over the life of this player.

It's all a bunch of over reaction. Which to me is most of them saying, "Look at me. I'm upset over this."

Let's allow for the idea that some will open their mouths before they have the facts.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the NFL's standard rule when I guy is seriously hurt and they've taken care of him by carting him off the field or whatever. Teams are allowed 5 minutes for a lengthly stoppage to warm back up. Until the officials hear something else that's what they have to go on. It's not their call to stop the game indefinitely. Once the decision seems to have been made by Vincent and Goodell the officials went with that decision. Which as it should be the decision relied heavily on the coaches input regarding mostly player emotion.

SWAdude

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I don't understand why this 5 minute call is an issue one bit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just listened to Mark Schlereth on the Cowherd show. Really want to wait for the clip to hit twitter or youtube because their discussion was great on the whole incident. One thing Stink said was this hit happens 200 times a game day in the NFL and college it was just a freak accident and you can't prepare or have a protocol for that. You have to do your best with input from the people on site.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
People just have the deep rooted desire to shit on the NFL even if their reasoning has no validity at all.
If it actually took a vote by players to stop the game from being started back up, the NFL will deserve all the shit in the world.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If it actually took a vote by players to stop the game from being started back up, the NFL will deserve all the shit in the world.
Who said that's what it took?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
All NFL teams changed their twitter avatars. Man I'm getting emotional. Cmon pull through Damar.