GAME DAY MNF - Bills at Bengals/Suspended with Damar Hamlin in Critical Condition

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Skip = Douche; but he was just saying out loud what the NFL is desperately trying to figure out:

How do you postpone the last week 17 game with no bye weeks left in the season?

Look at the calendar and do the math. Unless they can finish the game this week AND have both teams playing again next weekend, the NFL postseason is very compromised (can't really move the superbowl date).

Buffalo flew home, so I doubt they are replaying the game tomorrow. A Wednesday game might require 2 MNF games next week.

Maybe they just declare it a draw and those teams move on to week 18 (this may gift the chiefs the top seed in the AFC, but probably best solution)?
I say you can do anything you need to…inconvenient? Yes…I would have the Bills and Bengals pick up this game where they left off in a couple of days…then give the whole league a week off to re center themselves. Move the Super Bowl to a week later, or play it without the week off.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was told by a friend that a hit to the chest exactly when the heart has an electrical pulse can cause Arrhythmia.

I wonder if this was what happen to him.

I just hope he is able to recover fully.
You would think with all of the millions of hits to the chest the NFL has seen through the years that would have happened much more frequently than just this once. Either he had an undisclosed condition, or something else.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, it’s not that.

Sorry, but it’s completely fair to question the NFL. I’m not assuming this happened, just noting it’s out there.

As for the Vincent thing, @OldSchool …. Espn has come out with a statement saying they were consistently told there would be a five minute warmup and play would resume. Until that changed.
When something like this happens…and who has ever seen it) the decision makers are in total unchartered waters…we need to all give grace when literally thousands of life/ financial decisions have to be made in mere minutes. Getting good information was probably difficult. The players were all in shock. I thought Susie Kolber was awful..but I give her grace…Booger and Shefter saved her by coming across as human after her somewhat robotic response. Grace to all. I don’t want to live in accuser world. We are all free to ask questions, but assigning motive is no bueno right now.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
This has had me bummed out all day. Not only is Hamlin still fighting but decision on what to do about the game has been pushed back to next week. I need closure, too many unknowns.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I say you can do anything you need to…inconvenient? Yes…I would have the Bills and Bengals pick up this game where they left off in a couple of days…then give the whole league a week off to re center themselves. Move the Super Bowl to a week later, or play it without the week off.

Can't move the Super Bowl... The logistics would be so difficult that it would only be done in the case of a national tragedy or act of terror.

I'm praying for Hamlin...and the NFL won't reschedule or move the Super Bowl. That said, if the Bills win their last game, determining the 1 seed is gonna be sticky... They could replay the Bills-Bengals game and postpone the playoffs by a week. I doubt they do that.

I know that's not the priority right now and even with that, the league office is gonna have to figure it out. They'll prob use records and percentages for tiebreaking purposes which favors the Bills, iirc

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You’ll note…. I’m not saying it’s what happened… and I’m not suggesting the delay gives more weight to the reports it happened.

I’m saying that there’s word out there that this is what happened.. that players said no way.

I’m saying if… IF that turns out to be true, then they deserve to catch shit.
Basically its creating a strawman opinion just to shit on the NFL, that's mind boggling
Frankly, I felt all parties involved, coaches, players, NFL, broadcasting etc all acted with extreme class and should be commended for how the whole thing was/and is handled.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I know that's not the priority right now and even with that, the league office is gonna have to figure it out. They'll prob use records and percentages for tiebreaking purposes which favors the Bills, iirc

It sounds like they are leaning to use percentages for seeding.

But, it is a big deal to the Bills and Bengals if they lose this game from their calculation... and it doesn't appear they've given up on trying to find a way to play it.

Bills/Bengals is currently listed as a week 18 game "not yet scheduled".

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If they rescheduled the conclusion of the Bills/Bengals it could be done next Wednesday night. Schedule Cincinnati's first round to following Monday. The Bills game also, if they don't have the bye. 2 days off before the resumption of the game is just 1 day short of a TNF game following a Sunday game. It's not like they have to formulate a game plan. 4 days off for the first round is 1 day more. Tough? Sure. But this situation is unique.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
You would think with all of the millions of hits to the chest the NFL has seen through the years that would have happened much more frequently than just this once. Either he had an undisclosed condition, or something else.
IMO, its "something else". At some point the elephant in the room is going to need to be discussed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bills/Bengals it could be done next Wednesday night. Schedule Cincinnati's first round to following Monday.
That feels like the only option short of moving a week out.

But... Wouldn't this be 3 games in 8 days? That feels brutal and problematic itself.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
That feels like the only option short of moving a week out.

But... Wouldn't this be 3 games in 8 days? That feels brutal and problematic itself.
They should consult with the teams. If they don't mind it being a "no contest" then there's no need to play 3 games in 8 days. And who would want to do that anyway? But if they did play and the Bills won this Sunday and vs. Cincinnati, they'd have the bye. So I would think, Cincinnati has the most to lose here if they continued the MNF game. Delicate situation to be sure.

Basically, it's "does Buffalo want to give up the potential bye". Certainly that's not the most important thing on their minds. If they lose to Cincinnati......they won't have the bye anyway (if KC beats the Raiders).

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They could push the playoffs back a week and play the Superbowl one week after the conference title games instead of two. There will be less hype but I'd think that might be the best option.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They could push the playoffs back a week and play the Superbowl one week after the conference title games instead of two. There will be less hype but I'd think that might be the best option.
I would not replay that game and move on. Go by winning percentage and considering everything that has unfolded, it's truly the most logical solution.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

they're not gonna dedicate a week to a bills - bengals game.

it will be mid week or not at all.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The only team I can see this game having an effect on is Baltimore.

They are 1 game behind Cincy and beat Cincy in their 1st match-up.

A Cincy loss to the bills and a loss to Baltimore Saturday would put Baltimore atop the division.

Not playing this game would definitely benefit Cincy.

I see no effect on Buffalo skipping this game.

If Cincy beats Baltimore Sat, this game may be irrelevant.
Maybe the best decision is to play out week 18 and see if this game is even necessary.

Late edit:
It looks like the Bills are also head to head with KC for the 1 seed. Which could still be an issue, but doesn't seem as important as Balt / Cincy division standings.

Last edited: