Michael Brockers rejoins Rams after deal with Ravens falls through

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Such as whom?
Give a name you’d like for lesser money on three years that would contribute at the level Brockers does.

Who says I want to commit to three years to somebody? I wouldn't mind adding a couple guys who could contribute on shorter-term deals.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Someone help me here, don't we get a slight CAP relief for resigning our own with the new cap?

It does seem like the base 3-4 is set with these guys. That being said, we won't be in base 3-4 much...

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Im glad to see Brockers is staying. Losing the comp pick sucks and the price seems kinda high imo but I'll get over it. AD should be tickled pink though.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
Before the Brockers deal fell through, we were slated to definitely get comp picks for:
Fowler - likely 3rd
Littleton - 4th or 5th
Brockers - 5th

But the Brockers pick was negated by A'Shawn Robinson. With Brockers now out of the way, A'Shawn Robinson will negate the Littleton comp pick. So we're down to just Fowler.

Ok I get it now. But I rather have the proven Brockers than a roll of the dice back of the round 4th round pick

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I feel like we're overstocked on OLB talent/potential, and need ILB. Is it really difficult for an OLB to retrain for ILB? Are they just a substantially different body type or something?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to quote the OLB comment back on page 1.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
We have a nice D-Line rotation now. I'm thinking we let Morgan Fox go..or maybe keep him on the cheap. If not we can use one of our draft picks on a young lineman.

But this actually allows us to use our draft picks in other areas IMO.

A couple of folks mentioned we can now focus on ILBs. We should remember we have 5 young ILBs on the team right now. Micah Kiser...Reeder....Travin Howard....Kenny Young...and Natrez Patrick. I think we can do something with this group.

Ram65

Legend
Big surprise.I'm still processing this move. Like to see the contract details. I think this is it. If true changes things.

View: https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1243575225742172160

Not sure if this makes sense. Two years for $24M? I guess only $7.5M is guaranteed which gives the Rams an out. The escalator clause is better for the Rams. He is an explanation. Maybe, he meant three years.

Last edited:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Good move in the short term (i.e. one less hole) but not sure that is true for the long term. That said I'm a big fan of the guy so welcome back big fella.

Does seem to increase OL likelihood at 52 as well which IMO would be a good thing. Assuming Snead doesn't move down. (y)

You raise a good point. If the Rams can't land an instant starter at 52, then they might as well trade back. They still stay in the 2nd and possibly grab an extra 3rd.

MarkyMark

Rams fan for Life!!
Name
Mark
This makes me so happy! I love Big Brock, He is a good man. Put a huge smile on my face when I saw he was back.

Ram65

Legend
Still processing the new deal. I have to verify all the contract details. At least the Rams have Brockers for a year.

Resigning Brockers does give the Rams more options going into the draft. It also gives them depth on the defensive line which has been lacking for some time. He gives them flexibility as well as he can move up and down the D Line. He is a good run stopper which is what Staley wants on the defensive line. It seems like a good move heading into the draft. Rams can now go in a lot of different directions with early picks. An early offensive lineman pick could help on the other side of the ball.

Brockers had 74.6 PFF grade with 4 sacks, 45 solo tackles and 13 assists.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Still processing the new deal. I have to verify all the contract details. At least the Rams have Brockers for a year.

Resigning Brockers does give the Rams more options going into the draft. It also gives them depth on the defensive line which has been lacking for some time. He gives them flexibility as well as he can move up and down the D Line. He is a good run stopper which is what Staley wants on the defensive line. It seems like a good move heading into the draft. Rams can now go in a lot of different directions with early picks. An early offensive lineman pick could help on the other side of the ball.

Brockers had 74.6 PFF grade with 4 sacks, 45 solo tackles and 13 assists.

Can you tell me where that ranked?
Thanks.

Ram65

Legend
Can you tell me where that ranked?
Thanks.

No I don't have that information. He was ranked 8th by Anthlon after the 2018 season.

Here are his grades in the early part of his career but they were at DT in the 4-3.

He played around 69 % of snaps last year 67 % the year before.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With AD, Brock, and that big fat A'Shawn Robinson... NOBODY is gonna run on these Rams!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
Who says I want to commit to three years to somebody? I wouldn't mind adding a couple guys who could contribute on shorter-term deals.
Fair enough.
The one year deals sort of irritate me, but, I understand that is a way to get a guy signed sometimes, like what happened with Fowler.
Finding a young guy who is ascending and signing him to a multiyear deal, even two year deal, is ideal. Hard to swing.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
With AD, Brock, and that big fat A'Shawn Robinson... NOBODY is gonna run on these Rams!!!

This is great news!! Seems to me the Rams now, for the first time in quite a while, have a d-line that has depth, power, and versatility to go with AD.

In effect, A-Shawn is now a powerful add, not a replacement. This a big boost to stopping the run game at the line of scrimmage. AD and Brockers should also have more chances to get in the backfield with a freaking heavyweight NT next to them. And now all of a sudden instead of a hole to fill there's a lot of depth. And our top draft picks are freed up for other purposes.

My guess is that Staley and McVay are ecstatic at having a proven performer at a key D line position unexpectedly back on what seems like a reasonable deal. Credit to Snead and the team for pouncing on the opportunity.

Considered solely as a tradeoff for losing either Fowler or Littleton-- very good but not great players who were overpriced-- I'll take Brockers and this configuration of the D.

The new no-go still sucks, but this makes me more hopeful that we could still see an improved and more consistent D on the field, especially against the run.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is great news!! Seems to me the Rams now, for the first time in quite a while, have a d-line that has depth, power, and versatility to go with AD.

Agreed! We still, however, need run-stuffing linebackers to fill in the gaps. Hopefully, Micah Kiser can help. I realize he may be a negative in the passing game, but he should be a positive in the run game, and also help with those damn running QB's like Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray.