McVay’s future as Rams HC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
Ah the true sign of intelligence. Don’t agree, immediately insult.

Used to be a time that kinda stuff didn’t fly here but what do I know

Ps. It’s You’re*
Ah the Grammar Police on a message board...nice touch man....nice touch......

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
I don't know if Kirby Smart is interested in the NFL. But if he is... That dude is one outstanding leader of a team. Love the way he managed that semifinal victory. I'd love to have him.
Uhhh Heck no. That guy is a classless jerk. Thanks, but no thanks.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere

Sad to say thats how I see it.

I've been following pro football since the 1970's I can't recall a single similarly corrosive situation where a coach has indicated he is "undecided" whether he will return to the team next year and he will be taking "some time" to decide, especially after such a disappointing year.

I would be furious as a owner.

Let's hope Mr Kroneke has a cooler head.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I've learned from your comments is you worked through professional burnout to pay the bills therefore McVay is a quitter because he can afford to take time off for mental health reasons.

Yall read what you're typing before you hit submit, right?
Context, context.
If you cant comprehend english, have an adult explain it to you, leaving out "As for comparing him to folks that work in the real world? Gimme a break" and "Its ludicrous to try and compare"
So no I said nothing of what you speak

tempests

Hall of Fame

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How about the guys who retire before they're too old to keep playing? You calling them quitters? You must be
It's a ridiculous take. Comparing players who retire because frankly their career is over to a guy who is still the youngest coach in the league who wants to call in sick.
For a year...
Maybe

As to players who retire early because they dont want to risk injury? Completely different subject, again a ridiculous take.

Alas, I will wait on McVay's actual decision before making any judgements on him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not true, they also blocked DB Coach Jonathan Cooley from going to the Vikings.
Ok, I'll just shut up now....
My bad
Still and all his staff has ben purged each year without fail and he has *generally* left the door open for folks to look for better opportunity

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see many of you are in denial about McVay’s future with the team. Soon, when the news is announced that he is in fact stepping away, that denial will turn into anger. Those of you in denial right now will lash out at McVay for “running away” from the team when it is getting hard or for “throwing away our future” to get his and get out.

These comments will be rooted in anger and couldn’t be further from the truth.

McVay is a 110%, all-in type of individual. Especially when it comes to his life’s passion - football. He has burned both ends of the candle for 6 years straight and is simply all burned out. It is written all over his face.

In his tenure, not only has he had to manage superstars (who come with superstar egos) but he has also consistently had his coaching staff poached year after year. The guy is only 36 years old. After 6 straight years your rolodex of people you trust to coach alongside you starts to dwindle. He needs time away to make new connections, redesign his theories/concepts, and take a step back to gain new perspective on evaluating himself and the future of the league. He has earned this time off and I trust he will use it wisely.

With that being said, I am also in the camp that he will be back. Coaching in the NFL becomes an addiction. Why else would 70+ year old men still clock 14-16 hour days 6-7 days a week? Winning as a coach in the NFL is a drug and, like any true addict, McVay will be back chasing the dragon. But next time he will be refreshed, revamped and reenergized.

So, before you start accusing McVay of the worst, put yourself in his shoes. He is not abandoning the team. He simply knows he needs time away before he can pour 110% of himself into his team once again. That is just who he is.

While we wait, let’s reflect on the success McVay has brought to our beloved Rams. In just 6 years he has accomplished the following:

Back to Back NFC West Champs in his first 2 years
3x NFC West Champs
2x NFC Conference Champs
2x SuperBowl Appearances
1x NFL Coach of the Year
1x SuperBowl Champion
Youngest EVER to lead his team to SuperBowl victory
Four coaching assistants named as NFL head coaches (LaFleur, Taylor, Staley, O’Connell)
60-38 Regular Season Record
7-3 Post Season Record

The 1st McVay Era has been a thrilling ride. I eagerly await the 2nd one. Good luck to you coach, you have earned any time off that you need. You will always have a fan in me.
I can remember one of the posters on this board worried about Sean’s work life balance in his first or second year. Can’t remember who it was, but you were prophetic man. Sean is in emotional trouble, and as all crisis’ in our lives push us to make changes, those hard wired area’s of our psyche are next to impossible to fix on our own. Much of the anger many of you are expressing, are things Sean is screaming to himself every day…I am grateful for his accomplishments as a Ram. I’m praying for him as a man.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ok, I'll just shut up now....
My bad
Still and all his staff has ben purged each year without fail and he has *generally* left the door open for folks to look for better opportunity
I agree McVay has done that for better or worse. He understood some of the opportunities he received and passed it along to others. McVay is a class act, but sometimes one greatest strength become their weakness and my fear is McVay is going through this now.

My suggestion to the young coach is to delegate more, allow someone else to call the plays and just be part of designing the scheme. Alleviate that pressure and once you adapt you can always go back to calling the plays down the road.

Go get Frank Reich and allow him to call the plays, which will enable you to utilize your time more efficiently thus adapting especially now with you being pulled in multiple directions with family now. Then you can adjust and balance things better moving forward.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Multi-year rebuild? Please.

The Rams still have a lot of talent, and there are many ways to acquire more. Teams with franchise players at QB, WR, pass rusher and CB are never more than one good offseason (and better luck with injuries) from being a playoff team.

Florio molests collies.
Florio wants to believe that regardless of their success the Rams did it the wrong way. That every owners goal is not to win the Super Bowl, it's to be competitive so you can sell under cooked Hot Dogs and stale beer in November.

The trading of draft choices have finally caught up and the Rams have a QB that is very injured and doesn't tell everyone how bad he really is. He was so against how the did things, he's basking in the down year. Next year when the Rams rebound, he'll shut up or if they struggle, he will continue to roar.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pissed the guy is talking about walking away when the team needs him the most,
Yeah it’s easy to be mad at the situation. But this sounds like a mental health issue to me. I think he has to step aside and knows it, BUT THERE IS NO QUITTER IN MCVAY. That’s why the stalemate in his decision. Currently he is resisting what he needs, but eventually the burnout wins and you leave because you realize you are hurting the team if you stay. He gave all he had. He’s a hero to me. He will always be one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a ridiculous take. Comparing players who retire because frankly their career is over to a guy who is still the youngest coach in the league who wants to call in sick.
For a year...
Maybe

As to players who retire early because they dont want to risk injury? Completely different subject, again a ridiculous take.

Alas, I will wait on McVay's actual decision before making any judgements on him.
It's not a remotely ridiculous take. People walk away from football. You are willing acknowledge that the players have legitimate reasons to walk away, but you fail to acknowledge that coaches do too. Why? I can only guess bitterness or envy.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
A legitimate question I have and in no way do I think this is the reason AT all, but for arguments sake.. if the Rams had a winning season and made the Playoffs, would he be considering taking time off?

Psycho_X

Legend
A legitimate question I have and in no way do I think this is the reason AT all, but for arguments sake.. if the Rams had a winning season and made the Playoffs, would he be considering taking time off?
There was smoke last offseason about him taking time off or moving to booth. So I think it would still be front and center of the discussion even if we had won the super bowl again.

Since those rumors last year he's gotten married and wants kids, his grandpa (who he looked up to and followed into football) died, and his wife's family became stuck in a war in Ukraine. And his team had a historical season as far as injuries are concerned. I got burnt out on this season and want to take a break from football and I only had to watch the games lol. I didn't have to live through all of that and the behind the scene's turmoil of watching practically your whole football family deal with catastrophic injuries. I'm not sure why people are surprised by it all and if he needs to hand the reigns to Morris or whoever for a year then so be it.

Anyway, kind of babbled a bit there but to swing back to OP, yeah I think it'd still be on his mind due to real life stuff. Maybe not as heavy though if we won another super bowl. I guess one good thing of not being in playoffs is it affords him a few weeks to just decompress completely away from football before decisions have to start being made.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
My guts says no, but who knows whats going on.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel the term " shit or get off the pot" applies to this situation. Hope he does us all a favor and ends this speculation sooner than later.

Ellard80

Legend
What I've learned from your comments is you worked through professional burnout to pay the bills therefore McVay is a quitter because he can afford to take time off for mental health reasons.

Yall read what you're typing before you hit submit, right?
he never called him a "quitter" he is just saying McVay quitting his job is not the same as most of us quitting our job.

Agree or not - that's his point.

of course any person has the right to quit their job. A lot of people cannot quit their job however.

My problem isn't really any of that - my problem is the timing looks really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.