McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah. I don't care what you say. He was head coach of the browns and was fired as head coach of the browns. You can say ravens all you want but it is what it is.
You’re wrong.
The Browns were no longer a franchise after the 1995 season.
If BB had not been fired he’d have been the HC of the Ravens.
Not the Browns.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Bum Phillips coached for the Tennessee Titans?

And Bill Belichick coached for the Baltimore Ravens?

Good lord I really need to schedule that MRI. It is worse than I thought.
Nobody said Belichick coached the Ravens.

Name
SparkleStick
You’re wrong.
The Browns were no longer a franchise after the 1995 season.
If BB had not been fired he’d have been the HC of the Ravens.
Not the Browns.
Ok dude, you don't like it when someone disagrees with you so you got this old man.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok dude, you don't like it when someone disagrees with you so you got this old man.
I'm just stating what is fact.
Feel free to tell me who coached the Browns in 1996 if you feel like "proving" something
Old man? Lol

Name
Jack L Burgin

What's up with all the Mcvay hate I've been reading in here the last day?

He's the best thing that has ever happened to the Rams. So what if they have a few clunkers a year.

Man how quickly people forget.

He is one of the best HC's The Rams have hired, However the best ones so far in no particular order are Dick Vermeil, Adam Walsh, and Joe Stydahar . Those HC's are the top 3 as they won the NFL Championship. The others that would rank behind them in no particular order are Sean McVay, Mike Martz, Sid Gillman, and Ray Malavasi. these of course are the ones who won conference Championships. True there are others that won divsion titles, I am just mentioning the above as related to winning the NFL Championship/SB trophy, and also those that won a Conference title.

Name
Jack L Burgin
Cleveland didnt fire Belichick, Baltimore did.....
Actually it was Cleveland who fired Belichick. The Ravens at the time were the Cleveland Browns. Who cares what that court ruling says. Everyone knows the Ravens are the team that was the true Cleveland Browns that won all those titles, and all in their history.

jjab360

Legend
He is one of the best HC's The Rams have hired, However the best ones so far in no particular order are Dick Vermeil, Adam Walsh, and Joe Stydahar . Those HC's are the top 3 as they won the NFL Championship. The others that would rank behind them in no particular order are Sean McVay, Mike Martz, Sid Gillman, and Ray Malavasi. these of course are the ones who won conference Championships. True there are others that won divsion titles, I am just mentioning the above as related to winning the NFL Championship/SB trophy, and also those that won a Conference title.
I love Vermeil but he only coached the team for 3 years and had a losing overall record. He was not a better HC for the Rams than McVay has been.

Saying the SB is the only thing that matters is like saying Trent Dilfer was better than Dan Marino.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually it was Cleveland who fired Belichick. The Ravens at the time were the Cleveland Browns. Who cares what that court ruling says. Everyone knows the Ravens are the team that was the true Cleveland Browns that won all those titles, and all in their history.
*Yawn*
Wrong again, but that's cool.
The Cleveland Browns are the lovable losers, and nobody thinks they are the "true" 2X SB champs. Good luck with that one.
Fact is that its a commonly misstated assertion, a "Mandela Effect". Had BB not been fired, he'd have been the Ravens 1st HC, not the Browns HC. The team ceased being the Browns the minute the 1995 season ended, as Modell had announced in mid season that he was moving the team. Belicheck wasnt fired until after the owners had all signed of on the move, which is when it was agreed that the Cleveland Browns name would remain in Cleveland and the Baltimore team would in effect be a new team.
Alas, the point was made to add humor and seems some are more invested in being "right" instead of realizing they are just "mis-remembering"
It's like finding out Gordon Gekko never said, "Greed is Good"

Back on topic of the thread....
As for McVay, I wouldnt take any other coach in the game over him. He's not without flaws but his highs are much higher than anyone else in the game. It boggles my mind that anyone would even suggest his removal, even in vent mode.
I'd venture to guess that historically, no coach could match the turnaround he made with this franchise.
In the decade prior to his arrival, the team won a total of 46 games.
10 years, 46 wins.
McVay's team?
They won 46 games in his first 4 years alone!!
Unreal....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Vermeil but he only coached the team for 3 years and had a losing overall record. He was not a better HC for the Rams than McVay has been.

Saying the SB is the only thing that matters is like saying Trent Dilfer was better than Dan Marino.
Going in to his 3rd year he had a worse record than his predecessor, Rich Brooks.
Great point on the single SB win compared to QB's.
Speaking of Dilfer, I dont see Brian Billick's name being mentioned among "the greats" either... Lol

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That's a great topic plus great analogy with QB's, but Vermeil will always rank number one on my list for what he gave me, Chuck Knox of the 70's was special and near & dear to my heart too, but Vermeil providing us all with something we had never experienced and if he stayed might have won a few more, but that's that.

Sean McVay is a great coach, but in his play calling he gets pass happy when he's behind. We all know that I don't see him giving up the play calling as other Head Coaches like Andy Reid & Asshole Face for example and up to this point, McVay has done a nice job of hiring assistants.

Raheem Morris seemed like a good hire, he was highly regarded throughout the league and had been a previous Head Coach and Joe DeCamillis another highly regarded assistant who had overseen some great special team units, but both units under Morris & DeCamillis have disappointed I'm hoping after the bye, we might see those units with some changes which leads to improve play.

As to Sean McVay, I love Coach McVay and I trust he will have the team on the right course, I also trust he will make the necessary changes on his staff, regardless of past relationships as Joe Barry is a good example of this. McVay passed over Barry for Brandon Staley and then again for Morris. Barry was going to leave to join Staley with the Chargers, but at the last minute was hired by hired by Matt LaFleur in Green Bay as DC and has been doing really well calling their defense, but all of us were happy McVay never promoted him, but McVay & Barry were very close so this showcases that McVay takes into account what is best for the team over past relationships.

During my lifetime (born in September of 66) the Rams have had some great Head Coaches in George Allen, Chuck Knox, John Robinson, Dick Vermeil, Mike Martz & Sean McVay. Vermeil is only one that got all of us a ring, thus why you can view him eyes left, however, Sean McVay has been a godsend and I expect him to get us back to the big dance and win it as soon as he figures out that running the football is not a bad thing, IMO, I just don't think he trusts some of the players he has, including the health of Henderson and the lack of explosion from Michel.

BTW KUDOS to @jackburginjr for mentioning the likes of Adam Walsh, Jumble Joe Stydahar & Sid Gillman....Add Hamp Pool to the mix and I thought I was the only one! :)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Going in to his 3rd year he had a worse record than his predecessor, Rich Brooks.
Great point on the single SB win compared to QB's.
Speaking of Dilfer, I dont see Brian Billick's name being mentioned among "the greats" either... Lol
Vermeil's record with the Rams is a bit misleading.

Vermeil rebuilt the team from the dregs to Super Bowl champions. So no surprise they weren't very good his first two years. Then he was talked into retiring prematurely.

Had Vermeil continued coaching the Rams he would certainly have had a shot at a couple of more Super Bowl wins--- with the team he had already put together.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Had Vermeil continued coaching the Rams he would certainly have had a shot at a couple of more Super Bowl wins--- with the team he had already put together.

Also one of the underrated traits with Vermeil, was his ability to judge talent. Vermeil had final say, but he worked in concert with Charley Armey & others to formulate a draft plan along with the selections. Vermeil had worked for years at the collegiate level as a broadcaster, so he had a great relationship with coaches & athletic directors, Martz who was given the same power did not have that background and that led to him & Armey plus Zygmunt not being on the same page.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Also one of the underrated traits with Vermeil, was his ability to judge talent. Vermeil had final say, but he worked in concert with Charley Armey & others to formulate a draft plan along with the selections. Vermeil had worked for years at the collegiate level as a broadcaster, so he had a great relationship with coaches & athletic directors, Martz who was given the same power did not have that background and that led to him & Armey plus Zygmunt not being on the same page.
Vermeil and Charley Armey working together were awesome!!

Vermeil of course also knew a little bit about the college game from winning the PAC 10 championship, the Rose Bowl against No 1 Ohio, and coach of the year at UCLA.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vermeil's record with the Rams is a bit misleading.

Vermeil rebuilt the team from the dregs to Super Bowl champions. So no surprise they weren't very good his first two years. Then he was talked into retiring prematurely.

I dont need to re-write history here, but Brooks inherited a worse team, improved it but still got fired after 2 years. Vermeil talked a big game coming in and yet his first 2 years were worse than Brooks, and fortunately for him (and us of course) he got the 3rd year. Brooks is considered one of the worst HC in Rams history, and Vermeil possibly the greatest, all because of that one magical year.

*EDIT*
Vermeil's first 2 drafts were outstanding as well and while the famous pick ups, Faulk, Warner Holt gather the headlines, there was some serious groundwork laid there

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Vermeil and Charley Armey working together were awesome!!

Vermeil of course also knew a little bit about the college game from winning the PAC 10 championship, the Rose Bowl against No 1 Ohio, and coach of the year at UCLA.
That was well before my affection for Ohio State, I rooted for the Bruins in that Rose Bowl. I wish Vermeil had turned down the Eagle job, I mean, nobody wanted that job and I wish he stayed at UCLA for two years and then he might have been on the short list for the Rams in 78.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i bet dick vermiels teams passed more often then mcvays.... just saying...
I don't know about that, since most of Warner's passes were touchdowns (lol). I mean a typical stat line for Warner was 18 for 23, 330 yards, and 4 touchdowns.

Ellard80

Legend
I don't know about that, since most of Warner's passes were touchdowns (lol). I mean a typical stat line for Warner was 18 for 23, 330 yards, and 4 touchdowns.

Rams were 564 pass 431 rushing in 1999... about 57% pass.... not too bad (last year we were 55% pass)

I'm just saying its revisionist history to claim that the GSOT was a more balanced attack.

We do remember a guy named Mike Martz right?