McVay on absence of TuTu as of late

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
So you used blue font and said "good thing you were kidding..." Does this mean I was not kidding?

hps72kA.gif
Fuck, I think I had seizure looking at this!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Time will tell with Atwell. It's still extremely early in his career. He might yet prove to be a big time contributor. But for a team with Super Bowl aspirations, and very limited draft capital, you can't afford to be throwing away 2nd rounders. Again, time will tell, but unfortunately, it is my opinion that Atwell will become a bust and a wasted pick. I thought that at the draft and nothing thus far has changed my mind.

Imagine how much better this team might look right now with a quality CB or ILB taken in round 2, instead of 150lbs Atwell...
CB Aaron Robinson
DT Alim McNiel
CB Benjamin St Juste
DT OSA Odigazuwa
CB Paulson Adebo

All went at the top of round 3. All of them could be more useful right now.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Tutu can't win.

He's finally gained weight, but now he's shorter.:laugh1:

BTW, the weight gain could also be what McVay was talking about.
:biggrin: Short and light is short and light!!!

Tutu's problem isn't that he can't win. It's that he can't get on the field, even as a punt returner. I thought he was fast but McVay said he needed a little more urgency. :sunglasses: Honestly, I still like the pick. We haven't needed him on offense but we could sure use a good PR. And though you can slot anybody picked below him for a we coulda-shoulda, 7 weeks in is juuuust a little bit early to write him off. With all this DJAX-DIVA shit, he may get a chance once the cancer has been removed. We'll see.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Tutu looked decent as a receiver in preseason. A year learning from Kupp and Woods will go a long way in his development.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I wonder if we could recover something and trade Tutu for a middle round pick.

I knew he was a bust the second we drafted him. I told @Selassie I when the pick was announced that it was pure desperation. I dont care how fast he is, he has the frame of a middle school kid and clearly cant even hold a football with his tiny arms. I would rather have a low ceiling player who wont fumble the game away. Tutu’s floor is as low as any player ever. Im ready to acknowledge the failure early and gain a roster spot plus any pick we could get.

The good news is our receiving core is so full of talent that it isnt going to hurt us much.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The Rams should have learned from the last MIDGET they drafted. It was easy to see Van J was a stud and was not going to miss. He was not a "project".
In life, do not marry any person who is a "project" as in "I can fix them". I have advised the young people in my family to pick people who are already "fixed". You do not have the time or energy to do it. It will suck the life out of you.
The NFL is much the same IMO. How man times did Martz draft on potential and lost his @ss. Greg Robbinson was a "potential" guy. Same draft Donald, was someone already "fixed" and should have been the #2 overall.
What happened to Martz ? McVay should take note.

Name
SparkleStick
I wonder if we could recover something and trade Tutu for a middle round pick.

I knew he was a bust the second we drafted him. I told @Selassie I when the pick was announced that it was pure desperation. I dont care how fast he is, he has the frame of a middle school kid and clearly cant even hold a football with his tiny arms. I would rather have a low ceiling player who wont fumble the game away. Tutu’s floor is as low as any player ever. Im ready to acknowledge the failure early and gain a roster spot plus any pick we could get.

The good news is our receiving core is so full of talent that it isnt going to hurt us much.
You quit and give up too early.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Tutu didn't look like he even wanted to be on the field today. First punt fair catch with 20 yards between him and 1st defender. The next 2 he was breathed on and went down. The last one oh, oh my shoulder. He went down on his own. He won't be on the roster next year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think the ship has sailed on Tutu this year. That's not to say that a year of being in an NFL program won't shift things. Sometimes it does but that happens less than fans would like.

Kinda like Hopkins in that you hoped to see something that first season even if it was just flashing in limited reps but we didn't see that. Once Hopkins had a year in our program and still wasn't showing anything I knew that he was probably never gonna be a significant contributor.

Sad, since Trishton Jackson might have been the guy to keep compared to Tutu. Hell, if Tutu is out for the year with a shoulder injury I'd just go grab Jackson from the Vikings practice squad and elevate him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I watched a lot of video of Tutu running routes and catching the ball and saw him perform well there.

He is absolutely, 100%, not a kick or punt returner.

I think this needs to be addressed if they want to be a legit Super Bowl contender. Call ATL and ask about Cordarrelle Patterson.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
CB Aaron Robinson
DT Alim McNiel
CB Benjamin St Juste
DT OSA Odigazuwa
CB Paulson Adebo

All went at the top of round 3. All of them could be more useful right now.
People who hated the pick are looking vindicated right now tbh. What pisses me off is the guy isn't smooth and confident yet in returns. That's a role we need him to fill and instead Kupp's out there being risked because he can't do it.

But all that aside they really need to unfuck their blocking on returns. There is nowhere to go on every fucking punt return. We make every coverage unit look like All Pro's and that is some bullshit too.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Also interesting that during the broadcast when announcers asked O'Connell about who would step up when DJax is traded, he mentioned Skowronek and Harris as two guys who'd get more snaps. No mention of Atwell.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Maybe he has realized he doesn't like to get hit. He is little and he has taken some big shots. I could understand this. I don't like it, but I can understand it. Some guys just don't like the level of contact in the NFL. Can't handle it. Some big guys also, but him being less than 160 he goes down pretty hard when he is hit. No body really knows until they get to the NFL
As the great, legendary Mike Tyson prophetically stated... "Everyone is a tough guy until you get hit in the mouth"

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Like I said yesterday in another post ... from what I've seen so far (yeah it's only been a few plays) Tutu is a bust at the draft slot we picked him. Damn. I mean he's SO SMALL that the football looks extra large in his hands and arm. It's nuts. He's not just short, he's very thin. And so far he doesn't look decisive about anything at all that he does on the field. It was a mistake to take him so soon in the draft. I'd be OK if we used a 4th or 5th on him but...

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
People who hated the pick are looking vindicated right now tbh. What pisses me off is the guy isn't smooth and confident yet in returns. That's a role we need him to fill and instead Kupp's out there being risked because he can't do it.

But all that aside they really need to unfuck their blocking on returns. There is nowhere to go on every fucking punt return. We make every coverage unit look like All Pro's and that is some bullshit too.
For a second round pick Tutu has been predictably underwhelming. You nailed it describing his returns.

I hated just reading that they were interested in Atwell before the draft. With so few early picks they can’t screw around with a high risk player like TuTu.

Btw all of those players that I listed were players the Rams showed interest in. Odighizuwa has been very good for a rookie.

Robinson would be good depth on this team and likely contributing. For all of the talk about needing to add speed, the only one contributing to the offense in that regard is the slowest one in Skowronek. It feels like McVay had a very big influence on that second round pick.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
For a second round pick Tutu has been predictably underwhelming. You nailed it describing his returns.

I hated just reading that they were interested in Atwell before the draft. With so few early picks they can’t screw around with a high risk player like TuTu.

Btw all of those players that I listed were players the Rams showed interest in. Odighizuwa has been very good for a rookie.

Robinson would be good depth on this team and likely contributing. For all of the talk about needing to add speed, the only one contributing to the offense in that regard is the slowest one in Skowronek. It feels like McVay had a very big influence on that second round pick.

I cannot agree more! What a waste of a 2nd round pick, my god!

PARAM

Hall of Fame

I forget where I heard it but somebody from the the Giants was flying back from a game they lost and the coach asked him how they could improve their special teams. He said, "they (Dallas) have starters on all their units and that's the difference". We have the draft picks from 2020 and 2021.