LOL Jets fire GM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Kyrie is coming LOL.

The Lakers may be the single most successful franchise in all of pro sports in America.

I love my Lakers, but no one comes close to the Yankees...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...im-stop-me-from-doing-what-i-came-here-to-do/

Le'Veon Bell says he won't let reports that Adam Gase didn't want him 'stop me from doing what I came here to do'

It's been a rough week for the Jets. On Wednesday, they fired general manager Mike Maccagnan and named first-year coach Adam Gase as the acting GM. A short time later, a report surfaced that Maccagnan and Gase were at odds over signing Le'Veon Bell, whom Maccagnan signed in Marchto a four-year, $52.5 million deal with $27 million guaranteed.

Bell, whom sat out the 2018 season after he and the Steelers couldn't come to terms on a long-term deal, took to Twitter to respond to the notion that Gase didn't want him in New York, at least at that price.

"There's been a BUNCH of false reports and speculation about me in the past about things I've said and done, so I'm used to this," Bell tweeted on Wednesday. "I don't jump to conclusions when I hear or see a story that may affect me.

"Even if reports are true, that won't stop me from doing what I came here to do ... everyone has a job to do, and I'm gonna do mine whether people "like" me or not. I'm here to win football games."

By Thursday, the New York Post's Brian Costello wrote that in the wake of Maccagnan's dismissal, "the focus of the Jets world shifts to another relationship: Gase and star running back Le'Veon Bell."
A source said Gase and Bell have been in constant contact since the offseason program began last month despite Bell not being in Florham Park for most of the workouts. The two communicated after the Maccagnan firing both on Wednesday and Thursday, and the conversations have been positive, according to the source.

Any awkward moments between Bell and Gase will have to wait a few weeks because the running back was a no-show for voluntary workouts.

"It's voluntary," Gase said recently. "Everybody can get upset about it. There's no point. We know where he is. He's working out. He's always been ready."

The expectation is that Bell will be with the team for minicamp, which runs June 4-6. But questions remain about whether he'll return to the form that made him one of the league's best players a few seasons ago. He skipped the 2018 season after he and the Steelers couldn't come to terms on a long-term deal. In '17, Bell rushed for 1,291 yards and added 655 receiving yards. But in his absence last season, second-year back James Conner outperformed Bell at a fraction of the cost; Conner averaged 4.5 yards per carry (to Bell's 4.0 in '17) and 9.0 yards per reception (to Bell's 7.7). He also scored 13 touchdowns (to Bell's 11).

For now, Gase is the acting general manager though CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora thinks Eagles executive Joe Douglas "would be high on the list of possible replacements" for Maccagnan. There's also a report that the Jets could pursue future Hall of Famer Peyton Manning, who last played in the NFL in 2015 and doesn't have any front-office experience.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-run-at-peyton-manning-for-front-office-role/

Rumors reportedly circling that Jets could make a run at Peyton Manning for front-office role

From the outside looking in, the Jets are a mess. Maybe reality doesn't match perception but in the wake of the dismissal of general manager Mike Maccagnan on Wednesday -- and the subsequent report that new coach Adam Gase and Maccagnan didn't see eye to eye on signing Le'Veon Bell -- it certainly appears as if the organization is going in the wrong direction.

At the time of Maccagnan's hire in Jan. 2015, the Jets interviewed at least six other candidates for the job, according to ESPN's Rich Cimini: Rod Graves, Chris Grier, Trent Kirchner, Bill Kuharich, Rick Mueller and Jon Robinson -- and the organization was turned down by four others -- Chris Ballard, Eric DeCosta, George Paton and Ryan Pace. Ballard, DeCosta and Pace are all now general managers (for the Colts, Ravens and Bears), and Paton is an assistant GM with the Vikings.

Now Jets chairman and CEO Christopher Johnson has a vision for what Maccagnan's successor should look like:

"I want to find a better fit for this building," he said this week, via NorthJersey.com. "I want to find somebody who — just looking forward, not talking about Mike, here — I want a great strategic thinker. It's more than just a talent evaluation guy. I want a great strategic thinker, a great manager, a communicator. Someone who can collaborate well with the building."

And that brings us to this report from Pro Football Talk: The Jets could be in the Peyton Manning business.

Rumors are flying within league circles that the Jets may make a run at the future Hall of Fame quarterback who has periodically been linked to NFL management possibilities. And Gase, who worked with Manning in Denver, possibly would be one of the few guys who could draw Manning back into football.

Manning, who retired in 2015, has been linked to front-office jobs in the past. In Nov. 2017, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported that Brownsowner Jimmy Haslam had strong interest in having Manning join the organization "in a prominent team president/top executive role." And last December, before the Browns hired Freddie Kitchens as coach, there were reports that Gase was in the running for the job.

Manning, of course, has no front-office experience. In 2017, the 49ers hired John Lynch, who also had no prior experience, and the results have been mixed. The team has gone 6-10 and 4-12 but lost two of its best players to ACL injuries in '18: Jimmy Garoppolo and Jerick McKinnon. Lynch had a strong draft class a year ago and this year's class -- which features Nick Bosaand Deebo Samuel -- could be good too. Which is to say that maybe the traditional route to NFL upper management isn't a requirement. Manning would in theory have the tools to be a successful GM, as our Pete Prisco notes:

View: https://twitter.com/priscocbs/status/1129747510329843713?s=21

The Maccagnan hire hasn't worked out despite being as traditional as they come. Here's what Jets owner Woody Johnson said in Jan. 2015 when he hired him.

"We interviewed a number of impressive, qualified candidates, but Mike Maccagnan clearly stood out," Johnson said at the time. "Mike's attention to detail, strong personnel background and collaborative approach to evaluating players made it clear that he is the right choice to be the next general manager of the New York Jets."

Four years later and the Jets are back to square one.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Quite Frankly, I never trust a guy with Beady Eyes!
EWW3FFDOGREBDNOFY7HK2764RY.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/...0190517-wnaoganfijefdi452rtuxb4tsa-story.html

Behind the scenes of the final straw in the Jets rift between Adam Gase and Mike Maccagnan

By MANISH MEHTA
| NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
MAY 17, 2019 | 12:55 PM

Where’s the camera?

Adam Gase’s frustration was palpable.

He had spent months grumbling about decisions, non-decisions and just about everything else on One Jets Drive. People around him brushed it off as “Adam being Adam,” but there was an underlying uneasiness that wasn’t going to disappear until one massive change was made.

The draft was the final straw for CEO Christopher Johnson, who had reservations about retaining Mike Maccagnan after the season before he finally fired the general manager and lieutenant Brian Heimerdinger this week.

Along the way, Gase seized an opportunity to gain control with a savvy play in the strangest sort of passive-aggressive power struggle that included petulance, back-door bad-mouthing and obliviousness.

Johnson took the heat in the wake of the firings, looking like a lost, indecisive soul.

“He sees the good in everybody,” a current Jets employee said of Johnson in the wake of the acting owner’s unorthodox moves. “He just doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

The signs were all there in the run-up to – and during – the draft. Gase was understandably angry at the whole damn process. (More on that later.)

So Gase strategically distanced himself by first locating the war room camera. He had a seat next to Johnson that would have been in the view of the camera.

“He literally took his seat and moved it (out of camera view),” said a current team employee that was in the war room. “That was extreme.”

Gase wanted to wash his hands of the draft before it even began, according to sources. Eyewitnesses told the Daily News that he was oddly detached for all three days. This was a Maccagnan Production through and through. Gase stayed out of the way, rarely giving input on trade possibilities or prospects when the Jets were on the clock. There was no point that Gase ever fought for or objected to any of Maccagnan’s picks.

The sentiment among people in the room: This was awkward.

Johnson, meanwhile, had viewed his two years in charge through an idyllic prism. He had good intentions and a glass-half-full mindset. Truth be told, he wanted Maccagnan to succeed even if he had serious concerns about his general manager’s communication deficiencies at the end of the season.

Some of the brain trust, including owner Woody Johnson, would have signed off on firing Maccagnan in January if that’s what Christopher wanted.

But Christopher Johnson was concerned about his ability to lead both a general manager and coaching search alone. The support staff in the building, frankly, wasn’t qualified. Johnson liked Maccagnan on a personal level and felt comfortable that the GM and his top lieutenant would be the best people in-house to lead a coaching search.

Johnson kept Maccagnan and Heimerdinger, and kept his fingers crossed that it would all work in the end with a new head coach.

People in the organization truly believe that Johnson wants the Jets to succeed, but there’s a strong sentiment among those that I’ve spoken to in the past 48 hours that he simply doesn’t have the experience, football savvy and support structure right now to make sound choices.

Sources agree with moving on from Maccagnan, but some vehemently objected with the timing of the decision.

“It didn’t make sense,” one team source said.

People on One Jets Drive believe that Johnson means well, but they have little confidence that they can actually trust his decision-making to reverse the perception of the Jets as a laughingstock.

Jets employees aren’t alone. Seventy-two percent of the more than 10,000 people who participated in an online Daily News Poll this week do not trust that Johnson knows what he’s doing.

The run-up to the draft should have been an eye opener for him. Gase’s frustration was understandable.

The dynamic between Maccagnan and Gase during the team’s pre-draft meetings was odd. Gase badly wanted to share his opinions on what types of players he was looking for in his system during these organizational discussions, but remained quiet, according to sources. Maccagnan didn’t ask the coach to share his evaluations during those sessions.

The reason? The general manager didn’t want Gase to adversely influence his scouts’ evaluations, according to sources.

It was a curious approach that understandably angered Gase, who simply wanted to provide more information and depth on player prototypes that made sense for his schemes so that he would be on the same page with the guys who had spent the past year or so studying college players.

“It pissed Adam off,” a team source said. “Mike didn’t want him to speak up too much. It’s a weird philosophy.”

Gase shared his thoughts on players to Maccagnan in smaller meetings, but the notion that scouts, by and large, were kept in the dark about how the head coach felt about draft prospects should have ticked him off.

Maccagnan, who had the same philosophy with Todd Bowles, was bent on not having the scouts swayed by the head coach. It was a counterproductive approach that only served to alienate Gase, who expressed his frustrations in myriad ways to many people in league circles.

Gase, already unhappy with some of Maccagnan and Johnson’s decisions in free agency (the Le’Veon Bell acquisition was driven by ownership), had strategically detached himself from the draft by the time the Jets were on the clock with the third pick.

Johnson was witness to the odd draft proceedings, but tried to keep an optimistic outlook on this arrangement. In fact, he privately told people on One Jets Drive that rumors of Maccagnan’s impending ouster were simply untrue. The GM was oblivious to his firing… until he was fired.

Gase had a small window to seize control. If the Jets were in the playoff conversation in 2019, he’d be tied to a general manager that he quickly learned was not a good fit for him. If the Jets stunk up the joint this season, he’d lose the juice that he has with the owner right now.

Gase’s annoyance and irritation over certain issues were warranted. He felt his voice carried little weight on certain important matters. So, he did what he felt he had to do.

He strategically ingratiated himself with Johnson, who was looking for a strong communicator on the football side of the organization.

Was it right? Does it matter if it wasn’t?

The bottom-line reality: Gase won the offseason.

He will effectively hand pick the next general manager (with Johnson’s approval). How will this impact the rest of the football operations on One Jets Drive? Will there be much more upheaval?

“I don’t think he wants to screw a lot of people over,” one Jets employee said of Gase. “Because he feels like he already kind of did that.”

@MMehtaNYDN

Ram65

Legend
He's working out.

As long as Bell is working out he should be ready for camp. That's the one thing I wanted to hear. I'm sure they can work out Gase not wanting to spend the money on Bell. It's really a two year commitment.

Ram65

Legend
The dynamic between Maccagnan and Gase during the team’s pre-draft meetings was odd. Gase badly wanted to share his opinions on what types of players he was looking for in his system during these organizational discussions, but remained quiet, according to sources. Maccagnan didn’t ask the coach to share his evaluations during those sessions.

The reason? The general manager didn’t want Gase to adversely influence his scouts’ evaluations, according to sources.

It was a curious approach that understandably angered Gase, who simply wanted to provide more information and depth on player prototypes that made sense for his schemes so that he would be on the same page with the guys who had spent the past year or so studying college players.

“It ticked Adam off,” a team source said. “Mike didn’t want him to speak up too much. It’s a weird philosophy.”

This is dysfunctional. The GM and coach have to be on the same wave length/page when evaluating and pick players in the draft. Same with free agency.

Glad it is the opposite with the Rams. Would love to be in the Rams draft room and even some before the draft. It seems like the Rams drafted the players they all agreed they wanted. I imagine they had multiple players they liked at each position. It seemed like the Rams draft was like surgery. Everything was mapped out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Total dysfunction. I think the Cheatriots win their division...again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://larrybrownsports.com/football/candidates-have-concerns-about-taking-jets-gm-job/497085

Report: Candidates have concerns about taking Jets’ GM job

The New York Jets are in the process of searching for a new general manager, but they may have trouble attracting qualified candidates given all that has gone on with the team’s front office this offseason.

ESPN’s Josina Anderson was told by an NFL source that executives are not interested in the Jets’ general manager job unless the team is willing to make a long-term commitment. The belief is that the current staff in place is not equipped to handle personnel decisions, but there’s concern over how much control the new GM is going to be given.

View: https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/1131909092619034624?s=21

A lot of that probably refers to head coach Adam Gase, as he appears to have won out in a power struggle with former Jets GM Mike Maccagnan. Gase reportedly disagreed with some of the decisions Maccagnan made in free agency, and he then removed himself entirely from the draft process when Maccagnan was not allowing him to have enough input.

Gase hasn’t even coached a game with the Jets, but it seems like there are already people who are skeptical of the way he is trying to manage the team. He tried to put some of that talk to rest with his comments about Le’Veon Bell this week, but you have to wonder if his presence is making the GM job less appealing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny thing about the Jets and their dysfunction with their HC.
They have hired 6 HC in the last 22 years, fired the last 5.
What is really interesting is that each one of those coaches had a winning record in their first season.

2015 Bowles 10-6
2009 Ryan 9-7 (Made Playoffs)
2006 Mangini 10-6 (Made Playoffs)
2001 Edwards 10-6 (Made Playoffs)
2000 Groh 9-7
1997 Parcells 9-7 (Took over 1-15 team)

Maybe they just need to hire a new coach every year?

Last edited: