Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Where does this loss of a third rounder next year come in?

Compensatory picks are awarded based on a formula that takes all signings and departures into account. If we let Floyd walk and didnt replace him, THEN you're talking comp picks. We obviously would have had to sign someone else to replace him... so that 3rd rounder likely doesnt exist anyway.

Oh yeah- and fuck comp picks. At some point you gotta sign someone and play ball. Are we trying to win the superbowl or the draft?
Only 2,548 posts, eh? Newbie.

(I’m at 2,549):D

Shuie3225

Starter
Where does this loss of a third rounder next year come in?

If the Giants or another team signed him we would have been awarded a 3rd round comp pick next year. Just like the 3rd we got this year from Fowler leaving. That has to play a part in evaluating the trade IMO with all the edge options that were available yesterday. If we let him walk, we could have signed a different edge rusher and got a free 3rd next year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When the Rams do what it takes to get their guy, it seems that many are stuck on what was paid for the same position in the past.
1. It's not our money.
2. Snead/McVay/Demoff are paid to do their jobs. We don't have all the facts.
3. Did I mention it's not our money?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If the Giants or another team signed him we would have been awarded a 3rd round comp pick next year. Just like the 3rd we got this year from Fowler leaving. That has to play a part in evaluating the trade IMO with all the edge options yesterday. If we let him walk, we could have signed a different edge rusher and got a free 3rd next year.

But the 3rd for Fowler was because we didnt sign a bunch of other free agents to compensate. That's what a compensatory pick means, right? So it was losing Fowler + inaction with other FAs that netted comp picks. Not just losing Fowler, otherwise the league would hand out millions of the things.

If we let Floyd walk and then NOT sign anyone else, compensatory pick. But we would have had to sign someone else!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
2,551?

C0AC0A77-8E32-4993-B2FE-D5AD039B3EB6.gif

Or for you porridge wogs...

“Nialled it”

:D:zany:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But the 3rd for Fowler was because we didnt sign a bunch of other free agents to compensate. That's what a compensatory pick means, right? So it was losing Fowler + inaction with other FAs that netted comp picks. Not just losing Fowler, otherwise the league would hand out millions of the things.

If we let Floyd walk and then NOT sign anyone else, compensatory pick. But we would have had to sign someone else!

Except we let Fowler walk, got a 3rd round comp pick and signed Floyd.

And this year with how many players were cut, we would've signed someone else and still got a comp for Floyd

Shuie3225

Starter

We lost Fowler last year and signed Floyd..yet we still got a 3rd round pick for Fowler. Its because of the salary of Fowler and games started during the year. The primary factor in the comp formula is salary, then playing time. So Floyd would have likely signed for at least $14M-$16M elsewhere and started the whole season. We would've certainly got a 3rd for him. It's a creative way teams can gain extra picks. And because we are trading our 1st rounders away they're that much more important. And we have a guy like AD who is going to allow any Free Agent to have a career year. Donald serves essentially as a 3rd round pick generator assuming we let the FA's walk and get paid elsewhere.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
We lost Fowler last year and signed Floyd..yet we still got a 3rd round pick for Fowler. Its because of the salary of Fowler and games started during the year. The primary factor in the comp formula is salary, then playing time. So Floyd would have likely signed for at least $14M-$16M elsewhere and started the whole season. We would've certainly got a 3rd for him. It's a creative way teams can gain extra picks. And because we are trading our 1st rounders away they're that much more important. And we have a guy like AD who is going to allow any Free Agent to have a career year. Donald serves essentially as a 3rd round pick generator assuming we let the FA's walk and get paid elsewhere.

Well I guess I don't know what the word 'compensatory' means then. If we lose a guy for 15m a year and they play a ton next year, and we replace that guy with another high priced player who also plays a ton next year, what would the hypothetical 3rd rounder be compensating us for exactly?

ETA - I dont think I'm being clear enough. The difference last year was that Floyd was cut by the Bears, we didnt sign him as a FA. So if we lost him in FA this year, any other big signing we make offsets that loss in comp pick formula. To get a 3rd again next year we would have needed to not replace him; OR replace him with a cut and not a FA.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And this year with how many players were cut, we would've signed someone else and still got a comp for Floyd

proven vs unproven.

the rams went with proven.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
The thing is you don't know what his assignment is from play to play. Many times he didn't pass rush. It looked to me that most the time his responsibility was hold the edge see the play devolope, then make the play. He didn't try to penitrate at the snap most of the time. This dude was always where he was suppose to be. He made it easier for other players by not free lancing. They trust him. The money never really keeps the rams from doing what they want, so I'll let them worry about that.
yep That's why I compared him favorably to the other edge signings.
I am tickled to death about retaining him. The best part is that it didn't cost me a dime. lol

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thus we should then dump
the other 11 guys who were also "non existent" against GB.

All starts with pressure. Without pressure you could throw prime Deon and Rod Woodson back there with Ramsey and we still lose because we didn't touch Rodgers.

If you're saying we should get rid of the non existent pass rushers from the game, then yep I agree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Agreed. Could have grabbed another reclamation project for cheaper. But Dieter (I believe) is right that Floyd would have counted $3+ million against the cap because of the voided years we put in his contract. So we at least are saving about $1.7 million in that regard by keeping him. So keeping him might prove beneficial with the reduced cap depending on the structure.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone seems to be assuming that we would have received a comp pick if we had let him go, and I'm not sure that's correct. Due to the voidable year, I don't think he would be considered a true free agent, but instead would be viewed as a "cut" player.

I'm not sure I'm right on this, but if I am, then it's another reason for them to go harder after him than they did a player like Fowler. And, as stated above by @jrry32 we already had money that was counting against the cap because of that year, so the added cap count of this contract is less than it appears on the surface.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So keeping him might prove beneficial with the reduced cap depending on the structure.

Plus IMO, Floyd holds down the edge like no other Ram has done in a very long time. I'm pleased Floyd is coming back and now I will refer to him as Leonard Floyd and not Michael Floyd.
1615897745131.png

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I
All starts with pressure. Without pressure you could throw prime Deon and Rod Woodson back there with Ramsey and we still lose because we didn't touch Rodgers.

If you're saying we should get rid of the non existent pass rushers from the game, then yep I agree.
I think you are overlooking the circumstances of the game.

Rams were on the road 3 out of the previous 4 wks. Came off a big road win, then traveled to GB.

GB was coming off a bye and was fresh.

All that was a huge factor in the defense getting dominated. It happens. That is why 1 seeds rarely get challenged in the divisional round, let alone lose.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Plus IMO, Floyd holds down the edge like no other Ram has done in a very long time. I'm pleased Floyd is coming back and now I will refer to him as Leonard Floyd and not Michael Floyd.
View attachment 44300
Agreed!
lol. Don't sweat it coach I called Stafford - Saffold twice in one of my posts yesterday.
Got lucky and caught it before my editing privileges were gone