Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
IMO they kind of effed themselves here. They were positioned where losing him left them with a merry band of longshots and injury risks. And they need to get more physical even after they keep him. So he's one of those guys who it would have really sucked to lose.

Nah man there were and still are a lot of edge options on the market. We had tons of choices to fill his role and get a 3rd rounder back next year. The list of young, talented EDGE guys in FA was pretty absurd. Some who already signed for less than Floyd too.

View: https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1371590946807242752?s=20

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Leonard Floyd 19th in NFL QB hits, 17th in tackles for loss, 9th in sacks.
Compare those stats to the other Edge and D Ends that signed deals this year.
Don't think they will compare favorably. JMO
The thing is you don't know what his assignment is from play to play. Many times he didn't pass rush. It looked to me that most the time his responsibility was hold the edge see the play devolope, then make the play. He didn't try to penitrate at the snap most of the time. This dude was always where he was suppose to be. He made it easier for other players by not free lancing. They trust him. The money never really keeps the rams from doing what they want, so I'll let them worry about that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's interesting that Floyd and Dupree signed for such similar deals on the same day, yes we don't know the details yet. But both were just average 4-5 sack guys until they started playing with a DPoY caliber guy in Watt and Donald. IMO you don't pay those kind of guys top end money but again we'll see how the details come out of the money and what it ends up costing us in other players in the end.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
It's interesting that Floyd and Dupree signed for such similar deals on the same day, yes we don't know the details yet. But both were just average 4-5 sack guys until they started playing with a DPoY caliber guy in Watt and Donald. IMO you don't pay those kind of guys top end money but again we'll see how the details come out of the money and what it ends up costing us in other players in the end.
That changes bext year for dupree. Not so for floyd

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I was unaware we had so many fortune tellers around here :D But in all honesty no it changes nothing.
The point that i was referencing was that both players played in 2020 with a dpoy teammate. Is it possible that titans have one in 2022? Yes i suppose so. But you betting on that would make you more the fortune teller.

dang

Legend
Let’s accentuate the positive. We have a retained a very good OLB. We dont need to draft an OLB or pick up an unproven OLB. Almost certain the contract details will show better than a straight $16m per year deal. Anyone with s Floyd jersey gets to keep it!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The point that i was referencing was that both players played in 2020 with a dpoy teammate. Is it possible that titans have one in 2022? Yes i suppose so. But you betting on that would make you more the fortune teller.
But it doesn't change who they are, which doesn't change that you don't pay a guy top end money if he's only good when somebody else is better along the line with them.

Ram65

Legend
At least the Rams didn't give up a first-round player. Right?

Have to see the details.

AD can't do it all alone. Many posts have acknowledged that Floyd played an all-around game. Snuffed out a lot of short RB passes by disrupting the RB coming out of the backfield. I thought he might be used more in coverage but, did some. Helped sure up the run game. Would like to see some more/better pass rush moves.

I guess the Rams know what they have in Floyd. Who knows if another signing would be better at this point. Overall I'm glad they signed him. Rams will be better with him and the rest of the defense together in year two in the new defense.

I always think the Rams pay too much except the Robert Woods deals.

Last edited:

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
But it doesn't change who they are, which doesn't change that you don't pay a guy top end money if he's only good when somebody else is better along the line with them.
Why? Do you wait around maybe three years and find that edge worth 16 mil while your star dyop and qb are past their prime. Players are not paid based on their positional rankings. That has never occurred in professional sports.

TexasRam

Legend
Snead and Demoff deciding on offering Floyd 60+ million after 1 good year in the NFL due to Aaron Donald. While Kroenke looks on.

1615860404350.jpeg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why? Do you wait around maybe three years and find that edge worth 16 mil while your star dyop and qb are past their prime. Players are not paid based on their positional rankings. That has never occurred in professional sports.
Rams take Fowler off the cut list turn him into a good player let another team over pay him and take home the comp pick.
Rams take Floyd off the same cut list turn him into a good player and over pay him.
Clearly the Rams D can only be good if we overpay Floyd sorry didn't realize failing to sign him back removed us from Super Bowl consideration.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Higher end edge market’s been set. Floyd’s in line with it. Is what it is.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Rams take Fowler off the cut list turn him into a good player let another team over pay him and take home the comp pick.
Rams take Floyd off the same cut list turn him into a good player and over pay him.
Clearly the Rams D can only be good if we overpay Floyd sorry didn't realize failing to sign him back removed us from Super Bowl consideration.
Overpay because you said so? Gotcha. Never happens a player gets cut abd then blossoms. I guess we should get rid of d. Williams as he was not only a udfa but was also cut.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Been a while since OLB was a strength. Demoff, work yer magic!
With Floyd & CB2 DWill, two linchpins of our #1 D from 2020 are back -- though we'll definitely miss JJ3...
Time will tell if we actually get to keep D.Will tho, think the Rams will get offers for him? anyone in the 15 to 20 range in the 1st round worth losing D.Will for?

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Been a while since OLB was a strength. Demoff, work yer magic!
With Floyd & CB2 DWill, two linchpins of our #1 D from 2020 are back -- though we'll definitely miss JJ3...
Time will tell if we actually get to keep D.Will tho, think the Rams will get offers for him? anyone in the 15 to 20 range in the 1st round worth losing D.Will for?
We will keep williams this year. First round tender cements that. Next year s the question. Could be a cap casualty

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We will keep williams this year. First round tender cements that. Next year s the question. Could be a cap casualty

He'd be a free agent, not a CAP casualty ... although we could still tag him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Question, and sorry if it was mentioned in this thread already, will us signing Floyd count against us in the comp pick formula? I thought that resigning your own players might not count, but, not sure. If not, we are in line to not get a comp pick next year. He far exceeds JJ's contract.
It doesn't... Of course we don't get a pick now for losing him, but they will still get 4 picks because they will lose 4-5 players worthy of comp picks.

JJ = 4th
Hill = 4th/5th (estimated)
Everett 5th/6th (estimated)
Ebukam = 6th

And still Reynolds & Brown & Blythe could offset any low priced Ram signings.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
1. Floyd sounded like he fit in well with the team culture.

2. He helped shore up a long time weakness in the Rams defense by being great against the run.

3. This looks like another draft that is not deep with complete Edge rushers. There is likely even fewer that fit the mold the Rams draft.

4. Snead and McVay knew what was out there and had an idea what it would cost to sign some others. So they targeted the known player who is already on the team to avoid a bidding war for others as the available edge rushers dwindle.

5. I imagine that if they didn’t get it done with Floyd they would have gone the route of another prove it type and eventually got a pick for him.

6. They know that Lewis has injury troubles. OBO started out with injuries. They couldn’t insure they would get an edge of Floyd’s quality in the draft, so this signing was likely a must have in the Rams minds.