Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So pumped now let's see you bastids run the table. Let's gooooo!!!

iu

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd: ‘More than just an edge rusher’ (yahoo.com)
Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd: ‘More than just an edge rusher’
Cameron DaSilva Fri, March 19, 2021, 1:44 PM

1616197106319.png

There were two players at the top of the Rams’ list of pending free agents this year: John Johnson and Leonard Floyd. It was always unlikely that they’d be able to retain both stud defenders, so they were essentially forced to pick between the two.

Not surprisingly, Los Angeles opted to bring back Floyd, giving him a four-year deal worth $64 million, including $32.5 million. With good depth at safety and a glaring hole at outside linebacker, the Rams wisely prioritized their edge rusher.

On Friday, Les Snead explained why the Rams opened their wallet for Floyd, calling him more than just a pass rusher. See his thoughts on Floyd in the Twitter thread from Stu Jackson of the team’s site below.

Stu Jackson on Twitter: "Rams GM Les Snead on retaining OLB Leonard Floyd: "It's more than just an edge rusher. Leonard's a special athlete, with instincts to play the run game, set edges, the athletic ability to run along that front seven." (cont.)" / Twitter

Stu Jackson on Twitter: "Snead also pointed to Floyd's speed and length (listed at 6-foot-5) being valuable in terms of the ability to defend the types of QBs the Rams face in their division. In short, he's versatile, more than just an edge rusher for the Rams defense." / Twitter

When Floyd arrived in Los Angeles last year, Sean McVay and Snead shared a similar evaluation of the former Bears linebacker. Known primarily for his ability to stop the run and drop into coverage, Floyd showed in 2020 that he can also rush the passer consistently.

He recorded a career-high 10.5 sacks and 19 QB hits, taking full advantage of the one-on-one opportunities that came with playing on the same team as Aaron Donald. He’s an important part of the defense, doing an excellent job setting the edge, creating tough throwing lanes for quarterbacks and making tackles behind the line in the runnng game.

If he can continue to rack up double-digit sacks and remain an elite run defender in the next few seasons, the Rams will feel good about giving him $16 million per year.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd: ‘More than just an edge rusher’ (yahoo.com)
Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd: ‘More than just an edge rusher’
Cameron DaSilva Fri, March 19, 2021, 1:44 PM

View attachment 44426
There were two players at the top of the Rams’ list of pending free agents this year: John Johnson and Leonard Floyd. It was always unlikely that they’d be able to retain both stud defenders, so they were essentially forced to pick between the two.

Not surprisingly, Los Angeles opted to bring back Floyd, giving him a four-year deal worth $64 million, including $32.5 million. With good depth at safety and a glaring hole at outside linebacker, the Rams wisely prioritized their edge rusher.

On Friday, Les Snead explained why the Rams opened their wallet for Floyd, calling him more than just a pass rusher. See his thoughts on Floyd in the Twitter thread from Stu Jackson of the team’s site below.

Stu Jackson on Twitter: "Rams GM Les Snead on retaining OLB Leonard Floyd: "It's more than just an edge rusher. Leonard's a special athlete, with instincts to play the run game, set edges, the athletic ability to run along that front seven." (cont.)" / Twitter

Stu Jackson on Twitter: "Snead also pointed to Floyd's speed and length (listed at 6-foot-5) being valuable in terms of the ability to defend the types of QBs the Rams face in their division. In short, he's versatile, more than just an edge rusher for the Rams defense." / Twitter

When Floyd arrived in Los Angeles last year, Sean McVay and Snead shared a similar evaluation of the former Bears linebacker. Known primarily for his ability to stop the run and drop into coverage, Floyd showed in 2020 that he can also rush the passer consistently.

He recorded a career-high 10.5 sacks and 19 QB hits, taking full advantage of the one-on-one opportunities that came with playing on the same team as Aaron Donald. He’s an important part of the defense, doing an excellent job setting the edge, creating tough throwing lanes for quarterbacks and making tackles behind the line in the runnng game.

If he can continue to rack up double-digit sacks and remain an elite run defender in the next few seasons, the Rams will feel good about giving him $16 million per year.
Kind of how I've felt completely about him and why I wanted him back so bad.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if I’m reading this right (I might not be) his cap number this year is $5.5 million? Bonus divided over 4 years plus base. Next years hit will be a $20 mil cap hit? Then in 23 we have an out to save $7-8 million in cap if we want with about that in dead money. Not all that bad with assumption cap recovers next season.
I think the 2021 cap hit is 9 mill in total with the 3.5 of dead money from previous contract

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

WestCoastRam

Legend
If we can figure out how to keep Terrell Lewis healthy, our edges will be hard to handle.

Man, when it's a knee injury that isn't a tear or something else I get freaky... the "inflammation" thing or something else, that stuff just never seems to go away.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I'm already steeling myself that Lewis was a swing and a miss. Even if he's not, it sounds like the Rams have already resigned themselves to the fact that he'll prob be a rotational guy that will have to be kept on a pitch count.

oldnotdead

Legend
There is no question that re-signing Floyd needed to be a top priority. As I've posted before it's because not only is he a good pass rusher, his ability to set a hard edge or drop into zone sets him apart from most other edge players and is exactly why Fowler was allowed to walk. His extension is huge for this defense. The key players are all in place.

Burgess is an upgrade to Johnson so it's no surprise to me Johnson was allowed to walk. The same can be said about Troy Hill. He struggled at SCB if not in zone and lacked the speed to play outside in man coverage. SCB is really the only hole they have in the defense. I can easily see them taking a CB on day two if they don't sign a FA CB.

I have always looked upon Lewis as a first-round talent. Everything I've seen to date would seem to validate that observation. That said, his continuous health issues are disturbing. It's been my observations that when a player continues to lose time due to injuries, they rarely change throughout their career. That's why IMO backstopping that position this draft is a priority. That said they do have a sleeper talent IMO already on the roster in terms of being able to play DE or 3T behind AD in Jonah Williams. He has the speed, quickness, and strength to play both positions. However, I look to see the Rams take an edge if not in the second or third round of the draft. Okoronkwo has shown enough to make the roster, but IMO not enough as a starter.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
it sounds like the Rams have already resigned themselves to the fact that he'll prob be a rotational guy that will have to be kept on a pitch count.
And I hate that for the kid, because he has so much potential.
IMHO, If not for the knee, he is a star.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope AD teaches him to rush the passer. Most of his sacks were either coverage or unblocked.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1351998400439455745/photo/1

Really not good for pass rush win rate. And before someone slams that, whether you like the stat or not, they're measuring the players the same way. By this metric he was a worse pass rusher than Fowler last year - which makes sense. AD effect making Floyd look better than he is.

He's great against the run - just don't rest on your $16 million and work with AD all off season

Psycho_X

Legend
I hope AD teaches him to rush the passer. Most of his sacks were either coverage or unblocked.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1351998400439455745/photo/1

Really not good for pass rush win rate. And before someone slams that, whether you like the stat or not, they're measuring the players the same way. By this metric he was a worse pass rusher than Fowler last year - which makes sense. AD effect making Floyd look better than he is.

He's great against the run - just don't rest on your $16 million and work with AD all off season

That's win rate against double teams not win rates vs anything. Power isn't exactly Floyd's game so I'm not surprised to see double teams making him less effective when rushing the passer.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's win rate against double teams not win rates vs anything. Power isn't exactly Floyd's game so I'm not surprised to see double teams making him less effective when rushing the passer.

The left side is just win rate, period. The bottom is the double team rate, but that's not only measuring against double teams.

But I did just watch his highlights and for a lot of his sacks he did beat the offensive lineman pretty well - just need more consistency rushing the passer so that AD isn't doing it all

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The Rams tell us Floyd is the complete package for the team.

@FrantikRam focuses solely on the pass rush.

We get it man, you're not happy the Rams paid him all that money. It's more than pass rushing. I would have thought you knew that watching Matthews and fowler playing for the Rams.