Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The Rams entire defense was invisible against Green Bay, especially the line. It happens against a great Oline and scheme that was proven to beat Staley’s defense. It’s the same thing the Niners did to the Rams defense. Only with a HOF QB. Name one defender that had a great game that day.
I think the defensive performance that day was a combination of AD's injury and a bad gameplan. In essence, I thought we underestimated the Packers' running game.

I don't blame Floyd for that. If anything, it showed that we could use a run-stuffing thumper at the ILB position.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think the defensive performance that day was a combination of AD's injury and a bad gameplan. In essence, I thought we underestimated the Packers' running game.

I don't blame Floyd for that. If anything, it showed that we could use a run-stuffing thumper at the ILB position.
Which we already knew about ILB :D

Shuie3225

Starter
I felt that he wouldn’t command as much as he did. But some teams have a lot of cap room. Look at Fowler for instance. If Snead is looking at the draft and not liking his chances of landing comparable talent, then he needed an OLB of comparable talent. He likely doesn’t want to wait until the top guys are off the board, then he’s in a bidding war for lower tier OLBs. But yeah I get you on this.

Yea I feel better about it today after Dupree signed for $16.5 and Hendrickson signed for $15M..cant be mad after seeing those. I just thought we had a great thing going with our comp pick strategy. But Floyd was very versatile for us last year and is a good player. Hope he's a little better rushing the passer this season.

Tano

Legend
I was so upset that they didn't take out Reeder in the second half after the absolute terrible first half he had and then he continued to have a bad second half.

It just wasn't his day. I would have put in Kiser to see if he could have done better.

Shuie3225

Starter

Yea people want ILB and so do I. But doubt we spend a high draft pick there with Howard coming back off injury. McVay seemed very impressed with him last off-season. Throw in Kaiser, Reeder, Young and maybe we just see how those guys develop. We finished #1 in defense with this group of ILBs..though we wont be truly elite against the run until we upgrade there. Still, I'd rather invest in OL and tell Staffy to sling it and outscore people to take them out of their run game. Thats another approach.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So what did Shaq Barrett do before Bowles? Did he just suck for 5 years and then become great?

No. Clearly, he was utilized differently in that defense and it was more suited to his play.

If he were to come here, would he continue to put up big numbers? If another good edge were to come here would he put up Floyd numbers? Or is it possible that you need certain players for certain schemes and vise verse.

Why did Shaq's #s drop off so drastically this last season? Why did his sacks drop by some 60%? Why did his TFL #s drop by almost half?

I see people say Floyd is no SB. But who the hell is SB and which one will he be in the future? 2017? 2019? 2020?

Were his numbers in 2019 a fluke? Seems likely. Hell. Teams had to pick between blocking White, Pierre-Paul, Suh, Gholston, or Shaq. They had career tackling machine Lavonte David helping to stuff the middle. And he could only muster 8 sacks and 11 TFLs? How is he far superior to Floyd? Because of 2019?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Guess I am in the minority here. I like the Rams ILBs ... so long as their names are Micah Kiser and Travin Howard.

Their Durability, not Ability, is my concern.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Look at Robert Woods. IMO a fairly good comp to Floyd in terms of ranking at their position. Woods is currently the 10th highest paid WR after getting ext last September. That number is going to drop yet again with current FA. Tasty bargain.

I don't get the hand wringing over this stuff.

I don’t understand the handwringing when it comes to who they wanted to resign or sign either.

They wanted Stafford and got him. Snead said a month ago that they will have the money to retain the guys they wanted. So Floyd and Williams are the main guys. We will find out about the rest.
The thing that I like is that they are proactive. They don’t hesitate. They make the moves they want in a timely manner and don’t let other teams dictate what they do

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yea people want ILB and so do I. But doubt we spend a high draft pick there with Howard coming back off injury.
I think ILB is about having the right guy there when the Rams are up. We just always start in an area where we're waiting on one of those guys to fall to us. And also they haven't prioritized it. Pretty clear other stuff was more important.

But also I think it's a position where IF you get a really good one to fall to you there round two the impact would be significant. Because you're going from JAG to what might be a difference maker. And those types boost both edges.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think ILB is about having the right guy there when the Rams are up. We just always start in an area where we're waiting on one of those guys to fall to us. And also they haven't prioritized it. Pretty clear other stuff was more important.

But also I think it's a position where IF you get a really good one to fall to you there round two the impact would be significant. Because you're going from JAG to what might be a difference maker. And those types boost both edges.

I'm guessing we grab an inexpensive ILB later in free agency, there are a lot of guys, and the Rams don't really prioritize the position like others. Cutting Kenny Young adds almost $2.2mil to the available Cap, so maybe someone in his price range or a bit higher to secure a better talent. jmo.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
We lost Fowler last year and signed Floyd..yet we still got a 3rd round pick for Fowler. Its because of the salary of Fowler and games started during the year. The primary factor in the comp formula is salary, then playing time. So Floyd would have likely signed for at least $14M-$16M elsewhere and started the whole season. We would've certainly got a 3rd for him. It's a creative way teams can gain extra picks. And because we are trading our 1st rounders away they're that much more important. And we have a guy like AD who is going to allow any Free Agent to have a career year. Donald serves essentially as a 3rd round pick generator assuming we let the FA's walk and get paid elsewhere.

Clearly, the Rams think Floyd brings a level of difference maker value to the defense which can't easily be replaced if at all. What this highlights re your comment is that the Rams are in win now mode, not looking in this case for another third round pick who might or might not start in 2022. Same model as trading first round picks for proven impact players. Imo they are right.

I believe Floyd proved himself to the Rams' coaches big time last year. There's never been much question that he has top 10 in the draft athletic talent. Brandon Staley, his coach in Chicago, obviously thought a lot of him. Rams have seen what he can do for us and want him back badly enough to pay market value. (Which, correctly, they didn't do with Fowler who was quick off the edge but often seemed to disappear when he didn't get to the qb). That's what it takes to keep a top notch impact player who you really want.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm guessing we grab an inexpensive ILB later in free agency, there are a lot of guys, and the Rams don't really prioritize the position like others. Cutting Kenny Young adds almost $2.2mil to the available Cap, so maybe someone in his price range or a bit higher to secure a better talent. jmo.

Well I think that is a poor opinion. Kenny Young had a couple of big plays
& a guy I’m sure Shula is looking forward to coaching up.Was pissed a few times at him & his play. I saw his development & think The Rams will keep him. Inside LBer - I still LAUGHING at all The HATERS.

I understand your points though.Just don’t believe it will happen. Yes as I found out the last pick of the draft in 2020. Anchrum was selected. Then again it was a trade that got The Rams
an extra selection.Johnston got cut , but that Dakota kid stuck .
That Sloman dude almost kicked The Rams out of the playoffs.Would have never dreamed he’d be the starting KICKER.Still have Nightmares.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I agree it's not likely they go after ILB early on. I was just pointing out that if you ignore it long enough it will get to a point where you can get a really big boost by upgrading it, and also that it will boost both edges which killed us vs speed in 2020. That requires the right guy to be there for them in the draft though which usually doesn't seem to happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

You may be correct, but teams learned that the Rams defense could be attacked on the edges by spreading them out. I’m guessing more teams will try that attack next season. So at some point there has to be some kind of upgrade. Maybe Travin has the sideline to sideline speed but he’s not the biggest linebacker.

It will be interesting to see which way they go and how much they try to get Morris what he wants to tweak the defense to prevent that attack.

My opinion on the draft is it is always better to go with the strength of the draft. If it’s loaded with interior Olinemen then there should be some good ones available when the Rams pick. If it’s thin at ilb then a mid round pick will likely be a reach.

Maybe they plan to sign one that Morris likes in free agency.

Psycho_X

Legend
So if I’m reading this right (I might not be) his cap number this year is $5.5 million? Bonus divided over 4 years plus base. Next years hit will be a $20 mil cap hit? Then in 23 we have an out to save $7-8 million in cap if we want with about that in dead money. Not all that bad with assumption cap recovers next season.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
So if my math is right, it’s a minimal 2021 cap hit of $5.5M; and a 2022 cap hit of an even $20M