Les Snead explains why Rams prioritized Leonard Floyd

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone seems to be assuming that we would have received a comp pick if we had let him go, and I'm not sure that's correct. Due to the voidable year, I don't think he would be considered a true free agent, but instead would be viewed as a "cut" player.

I'm not sure I'm right on this, but if I am, then it's another reason for them to go harder after him than they did a player like Fowler. And, as stated above by @jrry32 we already had money that was counting against the cap because of that year, so the added cap count of this contract is less than it appears on the surface.
Yeah, I think @kurtfaulk posed that question a while ago, does make one wonder, especially with all these contracts written with voidable years built in. The other thing worth considering is that the Rams are already getting a comp pick for Holmes next year, so they may be "only" eligible for 3 more picks, since there are only 32 comp picks available and teams can only get 4 max

Psycho_X

Legend
A couple thoughts I have after skimming through this thread...

Go back to 2019 and watch Fowler and Mathews not set the edge or play any kind of defense other than mindlessly rushing the passer and tell me Floyd was not a huge upgrade over those two. Fowler does not = Floyd.

Floyd might not have even counted for a comp pick due to void year as others have said but this is new territory so would like clarity.

If we don't resign Floyd we would have had to sign a FA who was cut by their team to have it not count against the comp formula. That's why Floyd did not counter the Fowler comp pick last year because the Bears had cut him.

Obo's lack of progression and Terrell Lewis's troubling injury history made this a need unfortunately.

Yes, the total contract seems slightly high than what I was expecting but I'm going to wait on the details because it's likely to look better broke out.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

Go back to 2019 and watch Fowler and Mathews not set the edge or play any kind of defense other than mindlessly rushing the passer and tell me Floyd was not a huge upgrade over those two. Fowler does not = Floyd.

Floyd might not have even counted for a comp pick due to void year as others have said but this is new territory so would like clarity.

If we don't resign Floyd we would have had to sign a FA who was cut by their team to have it not count against the comp formula. That's why Floyd did not counter the Fowler comp pick last year because the Bears had cut him.

Obo's lack of progression and Terrell Lewis's troubling injury history made this a need unfortunately.

Yes, the total contract seems slightly high than what I was expecting but I'm going to wait on the details because it's likely to look better broke out.
I agree 100% of this. Floyd did a lot more and as I said made a lot of "stat-less" plays... Not even sure if that's a word but I made it last night.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
yikes, didn't want us to overspend on Floyd. Hope this works out for us

Shuie3225

Starter
Yeah, I think @kurtfaulk posed that question a while ago, does make one wonder, especially with all these contracts written with voidable years built in. The other thing worth considering is that the Rams are already getting a comp pick for Holmes next year, so they may be "only" eligible for 3 more picks, since there are only 32 comp picks available and teams can only get 4 max

The 3rd round comp pick for Holmes was given in this years draft..its one of our 3rd rounders. Wouldn't have affected anything next year. With Floyd's salary and expected playing time this upcoming year, he almost certainly would've netted another 3rd rounder next year for us. This has been discussed around here for months, don't know people are surprised there's a number of posters bringing this up. It absolutely plays a part in evaluating this signing.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 3rd round comp pick for Holmes was given in this years draft..its one of our 3rd rounders. Wouldn't have affected anything next year. With Floyd's salary and expected playing time this upcoming year, he almost certainly would've netted another 3rd rounder next year for us. This has been discussed around here for months, don't know people are surprised there's a number of posters bringing this up. It absolutely plays a part in evaluating this signing.
We actually get two third round picks for Holmes - one this year and one next.

Psycho_X

Legend

We get a third two years in a row for Holmes. And as mentioned the comp pick we may have got for Floyd was subject to us not signing any FAs that weren’t cut by their last team. Possible but not a given.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holmes gives the Rams 2 3rd round picks, 1 this year, and 1 NEXT year....

Edit, what he said-
We actually get two third round picks for Holmes - one this year and one next.
And he said... lol
We get a third two years in a row for Holmes. And as mentioned the comp pick we may have got for Floyd was subject to us not signing any FAs that weren’t cut by their last team. Possible but not a given.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? I hadn't heard that anywhere. Interesting. Any reason for the time jump?
Just the way they set up the rule. If you lose 2 guys you get one in 3 consecutive years. If you lose one there's a year in between.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This year and 2023.
Really? That's not what I saw,
"With the Lions hiring Brad Holmes as their new GM, the Rams will receive two third-round compensatory picks – one in 2021 and another in 2022."
" They will also be receiving a second third round comp pick for Holmes next year, meaning that they should have no less than three 2022 comp picks, so long as Johnson and Floyd sign with other teams on expected deals and the Rams don’t make corresponding moves. "

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? That's not what I saw,
"With the Lions hiring Brad Holmes as their new GM, the Rams will receive two third-round compensatory picks – one in 2021 and another in 2022."
" They will also be receiving a second third round comp pick for Holmes next year, meaning that they should have no less than three 2022 comp picks, so long as Johnson and Floyd sign with other teams on expected deals and the Rams don’t make corresponding moves. "
Then it was changed from the initial proposal and I stand corrected.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone seems to be assuming that we would have received a comp pick if we had let him go, and I'm not sure that's correct. Due to the voidable year, I don't think he would be considered a true free agent, but instead would be viewed as a "cut" player.

I'm not sure I'm right on this, but if I am, then it's another reason for them to go harder after him than they did a player like Fowler. And, as stated above by @jrry32 we already had money that was counting against the cap because of that year, so the added cap count of this contract is less than it appears on the surface.

We'd get a comp pick. Voided years and declined options still allow a player to be eligible.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I thought they gave Woods too much when they signed him and was iffy on Corbett trade, ive learned my lesson. In Snead I trust, welcome back L. Floyd!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It’s an asinine move. No offense to those of you that think the front office is infallible.
Congratulations it only took you two sentences to insult the FO and dismiss anyone who likes this deal as being sheep.

Good job. :hmm:
2,551?

View attachment 44297

Or for you porridge wogs...

“Nialled it”

:D:zany:
Meh. Hold my beer.
In the same respect, not only are comp picks not guaranteed, a third round pick may never even play. And for what? A savings of 2-4 mill to take a chance on an edge that was decent with another team but not with the Rams?

So... Just out of curiosity, what edge players are you thinking we should snag and at what price?

Seems to me that too many want to second guess any big contract while reserving the right to bitch about the alternative.

Who? What price? How do they fit? What is their history and overall game?

Bring it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Yep, just re-watch the Ravens game. Case closed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Idk people are acting like he dominated in Chicago for 4 years before coming to LA. People remember he was considered a bust right? Until coming to LA, playing for Staley and lining up next to maybe the best defensive player ever. A guy who commands double and triple teams on every play. And Floyd still only had 10.5 sacks. Sorry but $16M for this guy means the Rams have not learned their lesson with bad contracts given out. Put him on any other team without AD and watch his performance fall off a cliff. There were games he was completely invisible while getting non stop 1-on-1s.

I felt that he wouldn’t command as much as he did. But some teams have a lot of cap room. Look at Fowler for instance. If Snead is looking at the draft and not liking his chances of landing comparable talent, then he needed an OLB of comparable talent. He likely doesn’t want to wait until the top guys are off the board, then he’s in a bidding war for lower tier OLBs. But yeah I get you on this.

After this signing I am thinking maybe corner as our first pick in the draft. We wont be able to afford d. Williams a year from now if he plays like last year.

The cap should go up a lot next year with TV contracts.

And what if AD gets hurt? What did Floyd do vs GB? Completely invisible.

Players talent and value should be evaluated in a vacuum. If AD goes down you think we can rely on Floyd to carry our pass rush? Absolutely not.

The Rams entire defense was invisible against Green Bay, especially the line. It happens against a great Oline and scheme that was proven to beat Staley’s defense. It’s the same thing the Niners did to the Rams defense. Only with a HOF QB. Name one defender that had a great game that day.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Congratulations it only took you two sentences to insult the FO and dismiss anyone who likes this deal as being sheep.

Good job. :hmm:

Meh. Hold my beer.

In the same respect, not only are comp picks not guaranteed, a third round pick may never even play. And for what? A savings of 2-4 mill to take a chance on an edge that was decent with another team but not with the Rams?

So... Just out of curiosity, what edge players are you thinking we should snag and at what price?

Seems to me that too many want to second guess any big contract while reserving the right to bitch about the alternative.

Who? What price? How do they fit? What is their history and overall game?

Bring it.
Had he walked, these same posters would be saying the Rams FO was negligent in failing to keep him.