Jurors find L.A. Rams strength, conditioning coach Ted Rath not guilty of sexual battery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sounds like a great dude to invite over for a BBQ...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Pretty quick trial. Does it seem to you that there wasn't much in the form of physical evidence or character references involved?

This was pretty long for a misdemeanor trial, actually.

I’m going based on the reporting but it seems like the state had 2 witnesses, the girl and the detective. I didn’t see that anyone else was called. The defense put on Suh, Rath, and maybe (and I’m guessing here) a doctor?

I would think the jury is going to have a hard time finding guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The girls actions are questionable - as others here have noted. Maybe had we seen the testimony it would make more sense how she rolled over and kept quiet but based on the reporting - it’s strange.

No admission, plenty of other guys there at the time, lots of reasonable doubt - and that isn’t even getting into the lack of intent issue. Frankly, from the cheap seats Rath’s lawyers strategy is odd - but I learned long ago that the cheap seats are cheap for a reason.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This was pretty long for a misdemeanor trial, actually.

I’m going based on the reporting but it seems like the state had 2 witnesses, the girl and the detective. I didn’t see that anyone else was called. The defense put on Suh, Rath, and maybe (and I’m guessing here) a doctor?

I would think the jury is going to have a hard time finding guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. The girls actions are questionable - as others here have noted. Maybe had we seen the testimony it would make more sense how she rolled over and kept quiet but based on the reporting - it’s strange.

No admission, plenty of other guys there at the time, lots of reasonable doubt - and that isn’t even getting into the lack of intent issue. Frankly, from the cheap seats Rath’s lawyers strategy is odd - but I learned long ago that the cheap seats are cheap for a reason.
Thanks. So I have this legal issue.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Psycho_X

Legend
If he’s guilty then screw em. But if he’s not then I look forward to him grabbing McVays hips in an appropriate manner while pulling him back from the field some more. Maybe he just practiced his “get back” technique that night?

WestCoastRam

Legend
He "doesn't remember" doing it.
He may have done it and they've established that there's a reason why he might not have had "willful intent."

Yeah, I think the defense has to feel good about this. That being said, you never know with a jury trial. I was on one where three jurors just wouldn't listen to reason and we came back as a hung jury on a misdemeanor vandalism case. I mean, Ugh.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

Good news. I hope he learned from this and moves on.

Situations like this are shitty for everyone. He absolutely might have been in the wrong. But his intent seems pure based on interviews and body language on the field. I never took him to be a bad guy. However, if I was Sean(or whoever hires the staff), I would honestly think hard about if I still want Rath to be apart of this team.

As great as he’s been, reputations like this can derail a franchise. Even if it’s minor. Maybe players start questioning his morals and don’t listen to him as much. Kind of a “fuck that guy, he doesn’t deserve to be here” type of attitude towards him. Then a guy gets hurt lifting, effecting his play on the field. Yes, this is far fetched. And I’m sure the players love and support him no matter what. But I wouldn’t take this lightly and at the very least he needs some time away from the team. Regroup, get your shit together and come back to help this team win a championship.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's good the whole thing as reported was flimsy at best. Still what does some one have to gain by bringing these charges? Their 15 minutes of fame? Its a strange world.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good news. I hope he learned from this and moves on.

Situations like this are crappy for everyone. He absolutely might have been in the wrong. But his intent seems pure based on interviews and body language on the field. I never took him to be a bad guy. However, if I was Sean(or whoever hires the staff), I would honestly think hard about if I still want Rath to be apart of this team.

As great as he’s been, reputations like this can derail a franchise. Even if it’s minor. Maybe players start questioning his morals and don’t listen to him as much. Kind of a “freak that guy, he doesn’t deserve to be here” type of attitude towards him. Then a guy gets hurt lifting, effecting his play on the field. Yes, this is far fetched. And I’m sure the players love and support him no matter what. But I wouldn’t take this lightly and at the very least he needs some time away from the team. Regroup, get your crap together and come back to help this team win a championship.
I don't think he should be punished in any way. He went though our process. He should return to work.

Ram65

Legend
After reading the charges and circumstances I thought it did not look good for Rath.

Now, with little to no evidence I do not understand why they even took him to trial.

No matter what happens people will have doubts about Ted Rath. I guess he should keep his job. The only proven thing is that he used very poor judgement drinking a lot while on medication.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I don't think he should be punished in any way. He went though our process. He should return to work.
Rath was acquitted. He should absolutely be allowed to return to work. Losing a job or career is arguably worse than many actual criminal penalties, and imo should not be imposed on someone acquitted of a misdemeanor.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.vcstar.com/story/news/l...gth-conditioning-coach-not-guilty/1719814001/

Jurors find L.A. Rams strength, conditioning coach Ted Rath not guilty of sexual battery
Megan Diskin, Ventura County Star Published 5:45 p.m. PT July 12, 2019 | Updated 5:57 p.m. PT July 12, 2019

urors found Los Angeles Rams strength and conditioning coach Ted Rath not guilty Friday of three counts of sexual battery.

They deliberated for about an hour before returning the verdict on the misdemeanor offenses stemming from an alleged June 2018 incident.

Rath was accused of touching a neighbor on her buttocks and genitalia while she was asleep in her bed as he was visiting the house of her and her husband.

Rath, 35, of Moorpark, pleaded not guilty to the accusations. He maintained throughout the investigation and the trial that he did not remember what happened that night and had only “snapshots” of memory. His defense attorneys Vicki Podberesky and Bill Haney argued that this may have happened as a side effect from medication he was taking after suffering a stroke several weeks earlier.

“All I can say is that I’m very grateful the jury was quick in their decision. They saw right through the prosecution’s case and went right to the truth. And that’s all this is about. It’s one of those wonderful moments where the truth really prevailed,” Podberesky said.

Rath declined to comment to The Star after the verdict was read. In the courtroom, he hugged his wife as they both shed tears.

He was facing a year in custody for each misdemeanor count and lifetime registration as a sex offender, “which is something the DA should consider next time they put charges like this,” Podberesky said.

Rath’s defense team argued that the medication, in combination with the alcohol he consumed that night and his risk for suffering another stroke may have led to hazy memory.

His defense team said the case should have never been filed. Rath told law enforcement officers he had a medical condition and they didn’t give him the courtesy of investigating it, Haney said.

“He knew from day one that he would be acquitted because they never investigated his medical defense,” Haney said.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Erik Nasarenko prosecuted the case against Rath. Nasarenko walked out of the courtroom Friday as Rath hugged his attorneys.

“Obviously, we’re profoundly disappointed, but we also acknowledge this is the jury process and Mr. Rath was ultimately judged by a jury of his peers who found the defendant to be not guilty,” Nasarenko said. “It’s incredibly difficult for sex assault victims to hear and see that outcome, but ultimately this is the legal process of our state and our country.”

He said the Ventura County District Attorney’s Office files cases when prosecutors believe there’s sufficient evidence to proceed to a jury trial.

“And in this case, we had a victim who had he courage and strength to come forward and speak to what happened to her,” Nasarenko said.

Her statements were supported by multiple witnesses, and Rath’s medical condition would in “no way” have changed prosecutor’ approach to the case, Nasarenko said.

On the night of the alleged incident, Rath and his accuser had gone to a fundraiser earlier in the evening with their spouses and mingled with others from the community. The four later went to a local bar and then to the Moorpark woman’s house.

The Moorpark woman testified she was awoken to hands touching her and saw Rath standing by her bed. She pretended to mistake him for her husband and said, “not tonight, babe,” that she was tired, she testified.

The Star does not generally identify people who may be the victim of sex crimes.

Then the hands froze, she said. Nasarenko argued that Rath was allegedly cogent enough in the moment to recognize her words and stop.

Rath has been on a leave of absence from the football team headquartered in the Conejo Valley while his case was ongoing.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That's good the whole thing as reported was flimsy at best. Still what does some one have to gain by bringing these charges? Their 15 minutes of fame? Its a strange world.

Someone may be trying to ensure that no one gets (allegedly) molested again.

I will say this, he's acquitted. I think he should be given a shot to get his job back.

And people that do what he's accused of... they don't just do it once. That kind of boundary crossing, it's an addiction. They'll do it again.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I know he wasn't found guilty, but there is literally no reason for her to bring the charges unless it actually happened. If her and her husband are hanging out with Rath and going to fundraisers, I would imagine they're in the same ball park financially - so it wouldn't be for money.

Nah, this happened. I'm sure of that.

BUT - does this crime fit the punishment that would have been handed down with a guilty verdict? I don't think so. And even if the jury thought it did happen, I think it would have been hard for them to essentially ruin his life over this situation.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know he wasn't found guilty, but there is literally no reason for her to bring the charges unless it actually happened. If her and her husband are hanging out with Rath and going to fundraisers, I would imagine they're in the same ball park financially - so it wouldn't be for money.

Nah, this happened. I'm sure of that.

BUT - does this crime fit the punishment that would have been handed down with a guilty verdict? I don't think so. And even if the jury thought it did happen, I think it would have been hard for them to essentially ruin his life over this situation.
It might be the apparently obvious reason that he did the "crime" and there wasn't enough evidence for a jury to convict. But there also could be motive for going after Rath that we don't know about. Spurned love? Revenge? Psycho? Once you start going down the road of "he was really guilty, but got off" stuff, can someone ever be considered innocent?

All that I'm sure of is that a court found him not guilty. Give the man his life back.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm not surprised at the verdict. It seemed like a very difficult case to prove... especially when you throw in the medication and alcohol twist. He said - She Said cases can be almost impossible to PROVE.

I'm not sure what to actually believe... but I would probably not bring him back to the team if I was in charge of that decision.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I'm not surprised at the verdict. It seemed like a very difficult case to prove... especially when you throw in the medication and alcohol twist. He said - She Said cases can be almost impossible to PROVE.

I'm not sure what to actually believe... but I would probably not bring him back to the team if I was in charge of that decision.

This. McVay has been consistently talking about being accountable. A member of the coaching staff can't be putting themselves in a situation like that in the first place. Very poor judgement going on there. He's opened himself up to be a distraction to the team. I don't think he'd be worth it myself, but it's up to McVay and Kroenke how they want to handle it.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I don't think you have a choice. He was acquitted, he should retain his job, whether we like it or not. Set's a bad precedent if they don't keep him. What would be next? All someone has to do is cry wolf (not saying this is the case here) and you lose your job? I would hate to lose my job over someone fabricating a claim against me. While we don't know the complete truth to this case we do know they found him not guilty.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wow, I just don't have a feel for the legal community. Now, granted, the medication issue, should have been looked into, but again, I don't believe it should be factored in because he should have not been drinking in the first place.

Some felt the woman defusing the situation was not the right call,but that is exactly what she should have done, in order to make him stop and move on. I'm in agreement with @FrantikRam I think he did it and the Jury felt, it was not a strong enough case to ruin his life especially as a registered sex offender...Now as to the medication, I'm sure combined with the alcohol that pushed Rath to do something he would not ordinarily do, but I also don't believe the woman did this because of being scorn or anything else, but if this did happen I encourage every person to press charges.

In the end, not sure what the Rams do, being acquitted @LARams_1963 is correct doesn't seem likely they can terminate, but I would give strong consideration of not bringing Rath back after this season as most of the original assistants signed 3 year deals and their contracts will be up and the end of this season.