Jurors find L.A. Rams strength, conditioning coach Ted Rath not guilty of sexual battery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again pure speculation. I suspect theses couples may have been more than friendly at one time or another. Possibly the defendant and her husband didn't want to play that game anymore and Rath didn't get the memo or ignored it . The whole thing is just too casual.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
My first thought was that she and Rath were already fooling around, they both go off to get reacquainted quickly, but hubby was suspicious of both being gone and so follows up on something he doesn’t want to see.

But it is possible that it was something hubby did want to see until he didn’t, like maybe Rath’s wife wasn’t really into the swap, so her husband was a third wheel in what wasn’t intended to be that kind of party that night.

Either way I suspect that one truth in this story is that Rath was probably pretty fucked up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My first thought was that she and Rath were already fooling around, they both go off to get reacquainted quickly, but hubby was suspicious of both being gone and so follows up on something he doesn’t want to see.

But it is possible that it was something hubby did want to see until he didn’t, like maybe Rath’s wife wasn’t really into the swap, so her husband was a third wheel in what wasn’t intended to be that kind of party that night.

Either way I suspect that one truth in this story is that Rath was probably pretty freaked up.

I hope if that was the case Rath's defense team would not admit the deed was done, but Rath was just not himself, in fact, had absolutely no recollection of it because of the combination of alcohol and medication.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope if that was the case Rath's defense team would not admit the deed was done, but Rath was just not himself, in fact, had absolutely no recollection of it because of the combination of alcohol and medication.
I don't know that saying you don't remember necessarily means you admit guilt. But may point more to intent or lack of as has been pointed out. As in if he did. But there is wear things get blurry for me anyway.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If there are no corroborating witnesses I don't get why Rath wouldn't just come out and deny it. He didn't admit it when they tried to get him to confess with the phone call. He just said he was shocked and didn't remember it. He could come out later and say "its starting to come back to me and I know I did not do that". Weird circumstances. I guarantee you my wife would never sleep naked if there is another man in the house. I'm pretty sure most women wouldn't either. Makes me wonder if there wasn't something else to the story.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At the risk of being crude. And I apologize upfront. Her story plays out she was asleep nude and wakes up to being felt up. Then roles over (why to give him a better angle?) to stare and make sure who she is seeing concentrating on that. Now she may have thought it was her husband at first. After that she does what nothing for days. Granted I can only go by my experience and the females in my circle. Family and friends. But they would have had this guys head on a pike that very instant. Where is the righteous indignation?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I find it weird she did nothing when her husband was around with friends. She says nothing ?? Now the question is, when did she first say anything.
Going back to my first point looking into this case.Why did it take until January 15 to charger Ted Rath ?? Even after the phone call they still did nothing?? Just seems a little F’d up they waited. Not sure if there was anymore info they needed to make up a case against him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe his saying she wasn't very memorable is what really pissed her off and why she is now pressing charges. :whistle:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
2 hr drive each way. Not worth it unless I knew more about the schedule.

Would have been cool to see Suh in the courtroom. Almost made it both days. Tennis in the morning got in the way.

Kevin

Pro Bowler

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am interested in seeing how this all shakes out. One because its Rams related and two because quite a few years ago a relative of mine went on a wild bender. One of those lost weekend kinda things. Got in some real trouble. He used this same defense without the medical part. Didn't fly.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If that works, then nobody can be held responsible for anything they do as long as they had had a few beers and some Nyquil. How is drunk driving even a crime if drugs and alcohol are an excuse for breaking the law?

Again, there are different types of crimes. 99% of crimes are general intent crimes - and voluntary intoxication is not a defense to those crimes. Rath is charged with the 1%, specific intent crimes. For specific intent crimes, the reason why you do something is one of the elements of the crime and for those, being wasted is a defense.

The most obvious example is first degree murder. The difference between first degree and second degree is that specific intent - cold, calculated. Killing someone in a drunken rage is second degree. Planning it, thinking about it, making a decision to do it and then having time to cool down still go thru with it, that’s first degree.

First degree - specific intent
Second degree - general intent.

Make sense?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Again, there are different types of crimes. 99% of crimes are general intent crimes - and voluntary intoxication is not a defense to those crimes. Rath is charged with the 1%, specific intent crimes. For specific intent crimes, the reason why you do something is one of the elements of the crime and for those, being wasted is a defense.

The most obvious example is first degree murder. The difference between first degree and second degree is that specific intent - cold, calculated. Killing someone in a drunken rage is second degree. Planning it, thinking about it, making a decision to do it and then having time to cool down still go thru with it, that’s first degree.

First degree - specific intent
Second degree - general intent.

Make sense?
Are you a lawyer?

Kevin

Pro Bowler
OK, cool. In your example, someone who did not plan a crime but still committed a crime while impaired would likely be guilty of a lesser charge. Seems like this is what could ultimately happen with Rath, or is this an all-or-nothing charge of sexual battery that includes intent?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
OK, cool. In your example, someone who did not plan a crime but still committed a crime while impaired would likely be guilty of a lesser charge. Seems like this is what could ultimately happen with Rath, or is this an all-or-nothing charge of sexual battery that includes intent?

Yes - there is usually a lesser included. Like here, simple assault or assault on a female would likely be that. Sometimes though, prosecutors will not seek a lesser included so the jury won’t have that choice. I suspect that may be the choice here.

Lesser includeds are often easy ways for juries to compromise.