Jonah Jackson at center!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's an extremely positive rationalization there Elm.

First off Avila playing center in college is great, but doesn't mean they're gonna be happy with him in the pros there. Last season he was a very good starter for us as a rookie at LG. If that was true thus far at C then the Rams would almost surely have continued the execution of their "plan" to move him over. Because unit cohesiveness is so important with an OL, and because guard is the easiest position to plug someone in on the short term. Also the consistency of calls by that pivot, and the boys being on that same sheet of music with him is crucial. So no matter how you slice this thing to move a guy who has had all camp and preseason at center out to guard a week prior to the opening game is a concern.

I presume Limmer is part of this. But once again the only reason that would be true is because they are not happy with the starting five. And to go a bit further I think this is fundamentally different than say ILB, where a vet got outcompeted for his job. This is where you end up when shit doesn't work well enough and the staff acknowledges it in a last minute effort to try to squeeze more performance out of the unit.

That's not to say the OL will definitely struggle in the opener. As backup OTs go ours are better than most, thanks to Boom. However I expect it's gonna be fuckin ugly. And the Rams staff knows this, which is why they're playing musical chairs at the eleventh hour.
I think your view is an incredibly pessimistic rationalization :laugh4: (It sounds a bit over the top when describing a football forum post now doesn’t it?)

Silliness aside. I think the person who said it’s easier to replace Jackson with Limmer in case of an injury may be correct. ,Jackson has been injured in the past, so if it happens again, then it makes a smoother transition. Also, while Jackson has great movement skills, the very wide bodied Avila has already proven to be adept at helping protect Stafford to his left and his right. Having Noteboom to his left may make McVay feel more secure in protecting Stafford.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It does seem strange that Avila has been practicing at center most of the time in camp. Is this move because they feel better with him at left guard? Better for the run game? Or was there something they didn't like during camp with him at center?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
My thoughts: Jourdan & McVay both said this is the best alignment 'for the opener'. Meaning:
- The A.Jax suspension is a big problem. With Note at LT, Stafford needs extra protection. Jonah could stay at LG but putting Avila back there helps Note much more. Avila at LG helps both Note and Jonah, until A.Jax gets back in game 3.
- Should Jonah kill it at C, they keep rolling with A.Jax - Avila - Jonah (best case scenario). But, if not, there's options: A.Jax - Avila - Limmer, A.Jax - Jonah - Avila, etc.
- Should Note crap the bed, or (God forbid) get injured, McClendon - Avila - Jonah is also a great option, with only an LT substitution.
All that said, there's more benefit & continuity if Avila just stays at LG. He helps BOTH LT & C be more stable. A guy could even ask, how good is A.Jax without Avila next to him?? he's stout at the point of attack, but other than that I'm no OL expert so just asking.
Also: to date, I don't think anyone has seen Jonah at C, so it just may be possible he'll do well there. He's got more experience than Avila, and just might be better at line calls. As someone else posted here, he also seems built better for C than Avila. Here's hoping anyway -- the proof will be in the pudding vs. the Lions.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
According to Jordan they like him very much at center. She said it has more to do with the left tackle and helping out. At least that what I got from her posts that were posted earlier in this thread. She is around the rams constantly. Talks to everybody and seems to be very perceptive with what goes on with them. She has pissed off a few here when she was accused of just stirring up trouble but turned out to be correct. I don't understand the jump to Avila must not be good at Center. I can't remember a time when Jordan has miss lead us. I am sure someone will point one out, but as reporters go, she has been consistently good.

muggmeister

Rookie
One thought on this, he better be worth spending $17M a year on a center, especially one who has never played the position. Better be another Creed Humphrey!

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Why are so many people stating, "One week before the opener.....all of training camp at one spot"? These guys are rotated throughout the season and during games. I wouldn't stress on that part.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
According to Jordan they like him very much at center. She said it has more to do with the left tackle and helping out. At least that what I got from her posts that were posted earlier in this thread. She is around the rams constantly. Talks to everybody and seems to be very perceptive with what goes on with them. She has pissed off a few here when she was accused of just stirring up trouble but turned out to be correct. I don't understand the jump to Avila must not be good at Center. I can't remember a time when Jordan has miss lead us. I am sure someone will point one out, but as reporters go, she has been consistently good.
So the point of all that is Jourdan says they like him at Center and you trust Jourdan.

But what else are they gonna say here.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think your view is an incredibly pessimistic rationalization :laugh4: (It sounds a bit over the top when describing a football forum post now doesn’t it?)

Silliness aside. I think the person who said it’s easier to replace Jackson with Limmer in case of an injury may be correct. ,Jackson has been injured in the past, so if it happens again, then it makes a smoother transition. Also, while Jackson has great movement skills, the very wide bodied Avila has already proven to be adept at helping protect Stafford to his left and his right. Having Noteboom to his left may make McVay feel more secure in protecting Stafford.
I’ve been seeing Beaux Limmers name thrown around a lot. Did I miss something?

muggmeister

Rookie
He played center and guard in college, and played center his rookie year in Detroit.
Was he the starting center in Detroit or just a couple game fill-in due to injuries? The point I'm making is if he is our starting center going forward he will be the 2nd highest paid center in the league. I hope he's great there and he becomes that, just a lot of money for an unknown speculation. I hope my concerns never materialize and our interior line becomes the best in the league for at least the next 2 years.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
So the point of all that is Jourdan says they like him at Center and you trust Jourdan.

But what else are they gonna say here.
I am saying, have you found her to be wrong with any of her takes on what is going on with the Rams. She is not like so many of the media that just make shit up to get clicks. Also she is around the Rams all the time and sees and hears a lot. Not just reporting on the what she is told by the coaches. She talks to the players as well. So just because it could be a lie doesn't mean it is.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He played center and guard in college, and played center his rookie year in Detroit.
They might feel he may be able to stay healthier at C. Not as many 1 on 1 match ups. He gets to spend more time helping a G or blocking a LB. Just a thought. And that would likley only be a contributing factor.

The most likley factor is they simply feel Avila could be an All- Pro LG, helping to protect Staffords blind side... and especially the short blind side, where an inside rush from the left can be a big problem for a QB.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I think I've found something we can all agree on...
brady.jpg

Cheers.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am saying, have you found her to be wrong with any of her takes on what is going on with the Rams. She is not like so many of the media that just make shit up to get clicks. Also she is around the Rams all the time and sees and hears a lot. Not just reporting on the what she is told by the coaches. She talks to the players as well. So just because it could be a lie doesn't mean it is.
No she is very good. But she sometimes gets the party line from her sources.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
And she's smart.
And she really knows football.

BC

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
No she is very good. But she sometimes gets the party line from her sources.
She knows the difference. What I notice is she will state the party line with no opinion. Or maybe no conviction. But you know when she has a take. Like this time todd asked your question and she just said NO. Then clearified.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
She knows the difference. What I notice is she will state the party line with no opinion. Or maybe no conviction. But you know when she has a take. Like this time todd asked your question and she just said NO. Then clearified.
Exactly.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They aren't going to tell her they weren't impressed with Avila at center. So she has no reason to think that would be the case. But if they were impressed with Avila at center I believe he would still be there.

Btw I doubt Avila has been terrible at center. But they probably expected plus starter performance there. So then they say well why not move him back to where he can be a pro bowl player perhaps instead of a mediocre center.

And maybe none of that is true. Maybe she is correct. But I prefer to think for myself even if I end up wrong, which I often do.