Jonah Jackson at center!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams interior offensive line is still a top-level group no matter where you move them around. Compensating for the starting offensive tackles could be a factor. This will still be a strength of the Rams offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bombs away McVay!
1724982484704.png

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I suspect this could be a large part of the reasoning. Jackson has somewhat of an injury history. If he gets injured as a Center they know they have Limmer there to back him up.

Limmer >> Bruss. More OL continuity in the case of injury to Jackson and have your top reserves playing.
Yeah this feels like it has to do with Limmer. Him showing so well at Center might mean they're thinking at some point he will be one of their best 5, plus as you say Jackson's injury history. Makes sense from that perspective to pre-align Avila back at LG, though I don't like trashing all those snaps he had developing the calls. And it makes me worry about the calls for the first few games if it's Jackson.

Because I doubt Jackson is all smooth in the pivot either. And he didn't have all those snaps to build rapport with Stafford. So this might mean Limmer ends up in there quicker than expected.

This draft though. Holy Jesus. This is the kind of haul that can put you in contention for years.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
“Hey Jonah, looks like your arm is out of the sling. Get over here and start snapping some balls. Your the center now.”

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If Jackson has an injury plagued year, they can move on from him as early as next year with a post June 1st release that saves them $9M in cap. It's 3M saved if released pre June. Of course they still take a dead cap hit, but a smaller cap number as opposed to if he stays.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
Sean on some perc or something this week man this shit is crazy seeing all the changes a week before the season starts
Yeah, you could see it in his last press conference how stressed, tired and irritable he seemed. Kind of out of character a bit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I doubt it as well. More likely is trading Atwell (and promoting Smith) or even A-Jax if McClendon impresses at left tackle.
Has McClendon been announced as the Left Tackle replacement?
This means Avila has not exactly wowed them in his calls. If he had, it would not be considered.

Also could mean they expect Limmer to "arrive" soon so why not pre-move the boys to accommodate that.
Not necessarily. Avila played center in college. I think its more likely that they have three capable centers. This is more likely about protecting Stafford on the left side by deciding who helps the left tackle the most.

I was looking forward to watching Jonah Jackson pull and block downfield. That part of his game won't be of much use at center.

Jacobarch

Legend
Name
Jake
Avila is probably at least as good as Jackson at LG and if Jackson gets hurt playing center they probably feel more comfortable putting limmer in at center and keeping Avila at LG. Less moving pieces

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I feel a little uncomfortable with the move because of the timing.
But... they see the guys in practice every day.

I do think there's a chance we see Limmer starting next season.. and assume he will be in year 3, for sure.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Moving Avila to Left Guard will definitely settle down the left side until AJ comes back. Jonah Jackson has missed a lot of time, and then he has to play next to a backup LT? That might not be a good combination, so I can see the strategy in this move, and I can also see the Rams moving Jonah Jackson next year if Limmer is the real deal.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Not necessarily. Avila played center in college. I think its more likely that they have three capable centers. This is more likely about protecting Stafford on the left side by deciding who helps the left tackle the most.

I was looking forward to watching Jonah Jackson pull and block downfield. That part of his game won't be of much use at center.
That's an extremely positive rationalization there Elm.

First off Avila playing center in college is great, but doesn't mean they're gonna be happy with him in the pros there. Last season he was a very good starter for us as a rookie at LG. If that was true thus far at C then the Rams would almost surely have continued the execution of their "plan" to move him over. Because unit cohesiveness is so important with an OL, and because guard is the easiest position to plug someone in on the short term. Also the consistency of calls by that pivot, and the boys being on that same sheet of music with him is crucial. So no matter how you slice this thing to move a guy who has had all camp and preseason at center out to guard a week prior to the opening game is a concern.

I presume Limmer is part of this. But once again the only reason that would be true is because they are not happy with the starting five. And to go a bit further I think this is fundamentally different than say ILB, where a vet got outcompeted for his job. This is where you end up when shit doesn't work well enough and the staff acknowledges it in a last minute effort to try to squeeze more performance out of the unit.

That's not to say the OL will definitely struggle in the opener. As backup OTs go ours are better than most, thanks to Boom. However I expect it's gonna be fuckin ugly. And the Rams staff knows this, which is why they're playing musical chairs at the eleventh hour.