Jeremy Fowler on Camp (Via Blaine)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not shocked about Tutu. Dude has serious value as a utility player and you can't manufacture that speed. Sure, we're all pissed he didn't turn into more but can't imagine a trade being worth it for what he will give us in shot plays, backup roles, kick return, etc...

We're an 11 personnel team till proven otherwise so having a 4th that can backup all the spots is key.

Part of his success last year was that he could step in at the F spot when Kupp was out and was very successful from there.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
BR has more about what Fowler says about Stafford, - seems like a quote from behind the paywall:

"The Rams look at Stafford's future as a year-to-year proposition, per a team source. His reworked contract reflects that, pushing his 2024 pay into the $40 million range but lessening his guarantees in 2025, allowing both sides to decide whether they want to remain married at that point. This is one to watch closely: Stafford is only 36 and played like a top-five quarterback last season. The Rams believe he is still playing at a high level and would love to keep him around, but they don't know how both sides will feel at year's end. Maybe Stafford, who has dealt with many injuries, will want to retire. The ballooning quarterback market will undoubtedly be a factor here. Either way, I don't get the sense Stafford is angling for another team in 2025. It's worth noting that the Jimmy Garoppolo signing got the attention of some around the league -- that could be an insurance option for down the road."

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10130617-nfl-rumors-matthew-staffords-future-seen-as-year-to-year-proposition-by-rams

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
We don’t need QB drama where there is none.
No drama, its up to Stafford if he wants to continue after this season. He sounds like he does, hopefully he doesnt want $60M /yr, but if he does they still may be able to work something out. Pay the QB and build a cheap team in the draft. Sneads next mug will say fuck them trends. Everyone else is trying to build while QB is on rookie contract, McSnead say fuck that we can draft studs to build around stud QB.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think pressure being there is a good thing from the player perspective. There are only a set number of starting jobs. Any team you join as a 36 year old QB will have one eye on young QB prospects every spring. So it is top end production that secures your position, and of course salary demands factor in thereafter.

And when the head coach is McVay, who has extremely high standards with the position, that is certainly ramped up even more.

Stafford is the man but this stuff is good for him. Also the run game elements the Rams are clearly building are good for him. So I think on both sides there has been effort to get the most from the relationship, which is what is most important. Personally I suspect Stafford was wondering whether they were trying to get up for a QB in their trade up attempts. No way to know and it doesn't matter because I think the core of this roster we have this year is much closer to the recipe you need for big game production and titles. It requires some luck on the injury front but we have much more room for error than most teams due to Stafford.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No drama, its up to Stafford if he wants to continue after this season. He sounds like he does, hopefully he doesnt want $60M /yr, but if he does they still may be able to work something out. Pay the QB and build a cheap team in the draft. Sneads next mug will say fuck them trends. Everyone else is trying to build while QB is on rookie contract, McSnead say fuck that we can draft studs to build around stud QB.
My guess is he plays until he gets seriously hurt or wins another SB. And when I say seriously hurt, I just mean a season where he gets beat up like he did in 22', and him and his wife decided that's enough.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don’t need QB drama where there is none.
Getting a franchise QB is a crapshoot, which we endured for years. Remember the Rams flailing with Clemmens, Sean Mannion, Chase Keenum, Sam Bradford? Even though Jared Goff was much better, he wasn't the answer. I want to put off that horrible time until the wheels fall off Stafford in a few years. We will be good until then with him. I don't want us to fall off the ship at sea when the sirens call to us, "Draft a QB at pick #31 to train behind Stafford." This rarely happens successfully outside of Green Bay.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sure hope Stafford doesn't want the money that these prime QBs are getting. He can easily get a big contract next year though. He's one year older than cousins who just signed 180 million over 4 years. So I can see Stafford getting another contract for about the same amount of years and maybe 50 million a year.

Tano

Legend
Not shocked about Tutu. Dude has serious value as a utility player and you can't manufacture that speed. Sure, we're all pissed he didn't turn into more but can't imagine a trade being worth it for what he will give us in shot plays, backup roles, kick return, etc...

We're an 11 personnel team till proven otherwise so having a 4th that can backup all the spots is key.

Part of his success last year was that he could step in at the F spot when Kupp was out and was very successful from there.
One thing that I have been annoyed about in their use of Tutu is that he hasn't played a down in the preseason since the rookie season.

He needs all the work he can get imho. If he was a starter, then yeah sit him.

But he plays only a small percentage of plays so far in his career.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams fixed their run game and improved their pass protection over the last two offseasons. This was with Stafford in mind.

Anyone suggesting that the Rams may not be sure if they want to keep him beyond this year is projecting nonsense imo.

They won’t have a realistic opportunity in the near future to draft his replacement and there is no way McVay plans on relying on an injury prone Garapolo to take Stafford’s place.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Drafting a QB is such a crap shoot, it is a major adjustment from college to the NFL. I like the idea of giving up a few first round picks to a team looking to rebuild that has a talented QB that will be getting old before they are competitive. Hopefully the Rams will not need to consider this before 2027.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Drafting a QB is such a crap shoot, it is a major adjustment from college to the NFL. I like the idea of giving up a few first round picks to a team looking to rebuild that has a talented QB that will be getting old before they are competitive. Hopefully the Rams will not need to consider this before 2027.
Which is the reason you see so many teams lately paying top dollar for QB's that a lot consider not worth it. Someone on the radio described it as better to pay for a young talented guy you want to maximize then putting yourself in QB purgatory. Which teams like the Raiders and Saints to name a few are in.

LOURam85

UDFA
The
The Rams fixed their run game and improved their pass protection over the last two offseasons. This was with Stafford in mind.

Anyone suggesting that the Rams may not be sure if they want to keep him beyond this year is projecting nonsense imo.

They won’t have a realistic opportunity in the near future to draft his replacement and there is no way McVay plans on relying on an injury prone Garapolo to take Stafford’s place.
Why want they have a opportunity

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

I know everyone hates this, but if Staffotd were to walk away, and Prescott was available, I could see McVay taking him. Could also see Prescott taking a little less to play here. McVay won't have the patience to deal with a rookie QB, especially a mid to late 1st rounder that is not a slam dunk to succeed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know everyone hates this, but if Staffotd were to walk away, and Prescott was available, I could see McVay taking him. Could also see Prescott taking a little less to play here. McVay won't have the patience to deal with a rookie QB, especially a mid to late 1st rounder that is not a slam dunk to succeed.
Do you mean if Stafford retired? If so then yes. I think as long as he stays in the league, he will be a Ram.

I guess it’s possible he plans on retiring and wanted one last guarantee added to his final season.