Jaw's 2014 QB Rankings: Bradford #24

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Ron Jaworski: Matt Cassel is the worst starting QB in the NFL
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 14, 2014

6c5a24c1cabe65e1942531e8c508cb32.jpeg
AP

Former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski is unveiling his annual ranking of the NFL’s 32 starting quarterbacks, and the list started with Vikings quarterback Matt Cassel. And not because Cassel is the best.

Jaworski labeled Cassel the worst starter in the NFL.

“My 32nd rated quarterback entering the 2014 season is Matt Cassel,” Jaworski said on ESPN.

According to Jaworski, Cassel isn’t well suited to new Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s system because Turner needs a quarterback who effectively uses play-action passes, and Cassel doesn’t.

“Turner’s offense starts with the run game. With Adrian Peterson in the backfield, Cassel’s 66 quarterback rating last year on play-action passes just wasn’t good enough,” Jaworski said.

Jaworski hasn’t always been so down on Cassel; in 2008, when Cassel was filling in forTom Brady as the Patriots’ starting quarterback, Jaworski praised Cassel as a “sure thing” and told NFL general managers they’d be wise to trade a first-round draft pick to acquire Cassel from New England. (The Chiefs ended up trading a second-round pick for Cassel.) But Jaworski is down on Cassel now.

The good news for the Vikings is that even if Jaworski is right, Cassel won’t be the starter in Minnesota for long. It’s just a matter of time before he loses the job to Teddy Bridgewater.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
What's up with this........how did he miss tabbing Bradford for 32nd? :cautious:
Right? I'm surprised. Sam is probably coming up in the next couple though, knowing Jaworski.

I know those idiots over at the Post-Dispatch boards would trade Bradford and first round picks for Cassel any day.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I think Jaworski is talented at analyzing quarterbacks' strengths and weaknesses. But I also think he is leading the charge of the talking head mantra of "quarterback being the most important position" to such a substantial degree that many casual fans' take is, "quarterback is the only important position" and giving that viewpoint legitimacy in their eyes.

And so I kinda hate him.

Is that wrong?

SierraRam

Recreational User
He'll also be the starting QB with the shortest tenure after he's buried under Mt. Rush More in week 1.

images
images
upload_2014-7-14_17-54-4.jpeg
images

Attachments

• upload_2014-7-14_17-50-39.jpeg
    upload_2014-7-14_17-50-39.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 179

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not only is QB reliant on players, Cassel shows you need coaching/scheme/feel for the player.....Belichek obviously knew how to use him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can understand the analysis, however, he's just holding it until Bridgewater is ready and they're not going start Teddy on the road against the Rams defensive line. Mike Zimmer is not that stupid, Rich Brooks was, but Zimmer isn't. Cassel will be replaced by the 3rd or 4th game depending on their record.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Right? I'm surprised. Sam is probably coming up in the next couple though, knowing Jaworski.

I know those idiots over at the Post-Dispatch boards would trade Bradford and first round picks for Cassel any day.
They've likely convinced themselves that they'd be a better QB than Sam.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I wonder where he will rank krapondick. He had him in the hall last season. and rg3-10.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think Jaworski is talented at analyzing quarterbacks' strengths and weaknesses. But I also think he is leading the charge of the talking head mantra of "quarterback being the most important position" to such a substantial degree that many casual fans' take is, "quarterback is the only important position" and giving that viewpoint legitimacy in their eyes.

And so I kinda hate him.

Is that wrong?
This is "point on"...Jaworski is a fair analyst of QBs. I like the point he makes too because a good QBs confidence can be ruined in a system that doesn't suit his attributes. We've seen QBs go down the drain because they were not in a system suited to what they do best.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
This is "point on"...Jaworski is a fair analyst of QBs. I like the point he makes too because a good QBs confidence can be ruined in a system that doesn't suit his attributes. We've seen QBs go down the drain because they were not in a system suited to what they do best.

My opinion on the topic of positional importance is that no position is inherently the most important.

A.) If you are to take a player, no matter how great, and put him with teammates that are bad enough or don't suit his skill sets, that team will not do well. An individual player can maximize his teammates' abilities, but at the end of the day if those abilities while maximized are still subpar, no one is making chicken salad out of chicken shit.

B.) If you put one player who is bad enough at any position, regardless of how great the supporting cast is, that player's weaknesses will be exposed by the opposing units, and drag down the performance of the entire unit he plays on.

If you believe as I do that A and B are true, how can it be said one position is "the most important?"

That's my main issue with the comment, "quarterbacks are the most important player on the field." Jaworski hedges on his opinion at times by saying that quarterbacks can't function well in the wrong system or with the wrong teammates, to me that outlook says, "he's still the most important, he just needs good accessories." IMO, teammates are not accessories to the quarterback. They are all differently functioning cogs towards a team goal with the same level of importance.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I wonder where he will rank krapondick. He had him in the hall last season. and rg3-10.

Will see what happens this year ----.Kap is getting paid well this year.Will see how that effect the 9ers.
A Super Bowl & a NFC Championship would be nice.The worst thing about Kap us he still has upside.
I think Bradford is a top 20 QB with a lot of upside.The no huddle is where Sam will thrive.He will be playing for a contract.

Philly5

Rookie
Doing what Jaws does shouldn't be a 12 month a year gig. In the down time he spends too much energy trying for sensational headlines. Hurts his credibility. Thinking Krapendork was the best QB ever last year was crazy. Break down film for us when games are going on. Leave the silly lists and garbage for Bleacher Reports.