It's fair to call Goff elite now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
Goff's has how many starts compared to the 4 guys you named? Obviously he is a tier down because those are 4 future HOF when you talk about careers, and you have to be talking about careers because if not Goff has outplayed 3 out of the 4 guys you named the last 2 years.
You're making my point as to why I don't consider Goff to be elite yet.
It's obvious you think he is.

I haven't seen enough in his play yet to agree with your opinion...but...as I said in my original post I have no doubt he'll get there.

Bearrister

Rookie
The fact we are even having this debate is a pretty good sign.

Yup. And beyond that, the fact that we can have this discussion and it’s not absurd to think Goff is elite, really tells you how good the Rams have it at the QB position.

I lean more toward the “Goff is elite” side, but I get what the others are saying - at least from the perspective that we need to see a little more over a longer course of time. However, if we’re looking at just Goffs production these last 2 seasons and future projections... there really isn’t anyone I’d rather have.

Ellard80

Legend
The projection that Goff and McVay are on together appears to not only be elite but HOF level.

However, we're barely starting the 1st quarter of their football journey. It looked like Warner and Martz were going to be a dynasty and that fell apart after 3 years.

I'm literally thinking just like the team - one game at a time.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Goff is seriously lacking in the game dept. Think it was last offseason he went to one of the tennis Open tourneys and was hangin around the dudes. Kid is an NFL QB, he should have been slayin some pro tennis chicks and making a name for himself on the tour.

Now all that aside... If he can hook up with Halle I would immediately change his status to elite. :D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Goff is a better QB than Mahomes - it will become even more evident in time.

There is NO QB in the league I would switch Goff for.

I don't think I would swap him out for anyone either.

Robert

Rookie
You're making my point as to why I don't consider Goff to be elite yet.
It's obvious you think he is.

I haven't seen enough in his play yet to agree with your opinion...but...as I said in my original post I have no doubt he'll get there.
So your saying a guy cant be playing at an elite level because he is young and not a guaranteed hall of famer? It's funny a lot of people say Rodgers is elite but his stats have shown other wise the last couple of years.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I don't think I would swap him out for anyone either.

So your saying a guy cant be playing at an elite level because he is young and not a guaranteed hall of famer? It's funny a lot of people say Rodgers is elite but his stats have shown other wise the last couple of years.

When you're playing at or above the level of the best qbs in the league, including several future HOFers, you're elite. And I wouldn't trade Goff for anyone either.

RamWoodie

Legend
No. What I'm saying is eliteness requires consistency and experience. There's plenty more to come Goff's way before I can call him elite. Big difference between playing at an "elite level" and being declared an elite player.

When you speak of Rodgers' play the last couple of years...GB lacked the offensive weapons of prior years...yet Rodgers play kept them competitive. That's what elite players do.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven’t read the whole thread but Arod is considered a HOFer and what was that stat ?

1-14 when he has the ball on the last drive of the game ?

Someone mentioned two missed gravity moments ? .. what about the 4-1 with the sneak to win the Seahawks 1st game

If he isn’t elite he is what comes right before it .. semi elite ? Pre-elite ?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
1-14 when he has the ball on the last drive of the game ?

I'm not sure that is accurate because he threw 2 hail mary passes last year that won games.

Big difference between playing at an "elite level" and being declared an elite player.

He's sustained it for 26 games now. I think that's..........enough for me anyway.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure that is accurate because he threw 2 hail mary passes last year that won games.

I think the stat is something like 0-41 vs teams with a winning record when trailing in the 4th quarter.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I’m a big guy I can admit i was wrong .. but the actual stat I was thinking of was this
806A195F-CDA2-4062-81A1-68875AD09F24.jpeg

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we're witnessing that final stretch of an elite QB's development right now. Personally I am not going to crown him at this point. But I do think it's coming real soon, like this year's playoffs.

This.

For me, being "elite" is more about timing than production. On production alone, this year and last, he's elite.

But there are too many instances that I don't like from this year. A good snapshot is the Rams/Saints game:

Goff played lights out to get us back to 35-35 - his INT didn't bother me a ton TBH. Our defense played amazing in that 2nd half and held arguably the best offense in the NFL to 3 points in the 2nd half and didn't let them cross our 30 yard line for most of the half, until the Peters play.

We get the ball down 38-35 in the fourth quarter and Goff misses Woods badly, then precedes to miss what appeared to be an open Cooks for a first down on 3rd and long.

I hate crediting a QB with "4th quarter comebacks" - but IMO there is something to clutch play in all sports and I need to see a little more of it from Jared to call him elite.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And to say that he's "arrived".

Watching him yesterday has removed any possibility of doubt, it is no longer possible to make a case that he isn't elite. It can't be done. Yesterday in a dogfight with the defense letting the team down and handing points to the opponent because of drive extending penalties he kept his cool under mounting pressure and just went to work.

He's risen to the occasion every single game and without his play the Rams lose the Vikings game, split with SEA, and probably lose to Green Bay. This team could very well be 5-5 or 6-4 without him playing the way he is. At best maybe a shot at 7-3.

That is what an elite QB does.

Yesterday was another 300 plus yard game, he has 7 this year essentially if we give him the GB game at 295 yards. The thing for me is yesterday he did it without any long bombs, he did it in nice size chunks, which is good because it adds confidence that 3rd and long plays aren't daunting. They know they can pick up a 3rd and 12.

His YPA is eye popping. 9.44 per attempt is amazing. At the end of the season he will be on top there, Fitzpatrick is now but he will come back to Earth.

He's on pace to hit 5,000 yards and 35 TD's and is currently 2nd in total yards. Now think about this..........he is 9th in pass attempts so it's not like he's just throwing more than everyone.

Adding to the prolific production are the intangibles. The things that make people say "yeah he has the it factor". His footwork, pocket awareness, accuracy (68.4%), poise under pressure are all flat out fantastic. Plus he takes care of the ball. And by the way, he has 3rd fourth quarter comeback in the 10 games so far and 3 game winning drives.

There's no9 more "well let's see".

We see.

Well, I was trying to say this weeks and weeks ago.

Glad more people are recognizing it.

The pattern was there all along and I couldn't be more thrilled with Goff's development.

Oh, and the good news is that he hasn't hit is ceiling, yet. Little things I keep seeing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
r461201_1600x800cc.jpg

THE CALIFORNIA COOL OF JARED GOFF
In the midst of a wild three-year career arc that has taken him from rookie bust to MVP candidate, the Rams quarterback has learned to enjoy the ride. How far can his surge lift L.A.?
BY TIM KEOWN
11/14/18

Not long ago, the keepers of football's sacred texts detected a tragic flaw. The college game was spreading out and speeding up. It had become too simple, too bloodless -- and the repercussions could cripple the NFL. What they were witnessing was an insult to the thousands of men who sacrificed their bodies and brains on the game's altar. A quarterback standing 15 feet behind the center, catching a snap and throwing the ball to a receiver before the defense could even react? This was an act of pure expedience, a shortcut in a sport that does not abide them. Who was left to teach a young quarterback to nudge up close to the center, put his hands in another man's haunch and take a proper snap? A quarterback should be close enough to feel fear, and to smell a nose guard's rancid breath, and the suggestion that these gimmicky offenses would work in the NFL -- against grown-ass men, they thundered -- was an affront to the legacies of every great American who ever took the time to teach a man the seven-step drop.

But one by one, the thundering old men were replaced by younger men who identified an opportunity within the perceived decay, and the sacred texts began to be rewritten. These new men, unburdened by the psychic lore of Joe Namath's creaky knees or Joe Montana's jigsaw-puzzle spine or Y.A. Tittle's bleeding forehead, took the obvious skills of the spread quarterbacks and set them loose against NFL defenses.

And now what is this we have before us -- fun? Yes, a league that can't define a catch without seven pages of footnotes is being overrun by this most endangered concept. Fun destroys the myth that everything must be difficult and exhausting and earned. Fun puts the game's inherent martiality at risk. Turns out you can make your way down the field faster, more efficiently and far more often by standing back there and finding the receiver most open.

It's starting to feel like a revolution, and every revolution needs a frontman. Rams quarterback Jared Goff, under the progressive vision of head coach Sean McVay, is the leader of one of the NFL's most dynamic offenses. Just two years after 2016's top pick suffered through the turgid, sclerotic final days of the crumbling Jeff Fisher empire -- losing all seven of his rookie starts -- Goff is an ascendant star, an MVP candidate, a player who symbolizes the promise of the new over the stubbornness of the old.

"It's funny that the spread quarterback was seen as such a scary thing going into every draft," Goff says. "I played in the spread, Patrick Mahomes played in the spread, Deshaun Watson, Mitchell Trubisky -- the NFL is so stuck in its ways sometimes. If you don't innovate and adapt, you're going to be left behind. It's about coaches; how do you get the best out of your players? It's not by forcing someone to run what you want to run. It's how you can make A the best A can be."

This was a moment -- adapt or die -- and it called for something that's not exactly rampant in the NFL: men with the vision and confidence to change the paradigm. As it turns out, they didn't come to kill the game; they came to save it.

[www.espn.com]

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure that is accurate because he threw 2 hail mary passes last year that won games
I know he threw one against the Giants at the end of the 1st half and another against Kurt Warner and the cards to tie the game (and lose ultimately) what 2 games did he win with Hail Mary?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I have 100% confidence that his elite level play will be manifest in the remaining games of this season and the post-season, hopefully crossing all of the moving goal lines but I am skeptical that it will.

Wait..... What?? You are 100% confident........ ly skeptical?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"It's funny that the spread quarterback was seen as such a scary thing going into every draft," Goff says. "I played in the spread, Patrick Mahomes played in the spread, Deshaun Watson, Mitchell Trubisky -- the NFL is so stuck in its ways sometimes. If you don't innovate and adapt, you're going to be left behind. It's about coaches; how do you get the best out of your players? It's not by forcing someone to run what you want to run. It's how you can make A the best A can be."

do you hear that jeff fisher and rob boreus?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know he threw one against the Giants at the end of the 1st half and another against Kurt Warner and the cards to tie the game (and lose ultimately) what 2 games did he win with Hail Mary?

i know there was one against the lions.