It's fair to call Goff elite now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When thinking of age, health and system, Goff would be at the top of QB's in the NFL.

Rodgers, Brady, Phillips,and Brees are old. None of them will probably be getting another contract, unless it's the Old Guy Favre Tour at the end of his career.

The other guys like Wentz, Watson have suffered serious injuries early in there careers. For Wentz, he won't change his style from running the ball head first, and won't be available for a lot of his career. Watson may be ok, but don't know.

Goff, Mahomes, would be at the top of my list..Mahomes will get studied by DC's this offseason, so we'll see how good he is in his 2nd season as the starter.

GOFF, there is no substitute!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as the Saints game, it kind of felt like the team breathed a sigh of relief and accomplishment when they came back to tie the game. They celebrated hard at that time. I think it took a little of the fire away that got them back into the game. Next time maybe they learned from this and finish it with a win.

so much this. they fought so hard to get back in the game that when it actually happened they relaxed just enough to let it slip from them again.

they need to be ruthless, like the cheats, till the very end. that game was very important to their growth as a team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think he got too hyped in that last series against the Saints...every throw was high.

QBs are human. Rarely will a QB have a perfect game. Goff's game against Minnesota is as close to perfect as I've seen a QB play in a very long time. Looking back at that second half, Goff was basically perfect until those two last drives. He missed a couple throws, but the reality is that a QB is going to miss throws. Even the best QBs will miss throws. It happens to Brady. It happens to Rodgers. It happens to Brees. Hell, it happened to Russell Wilson on 4th down against us.

The problem in that game is that our defense put us in such a hole that Goff had to be perfect for us to win. That's just not fair to him. Frankly, I think that's a totally different game if the refs don't botch that 4th down call. But that's neither here nor there. Point is that the only reason we were in that game was because of the offense, and Goff played arguably the biggest role in us storming back from down 35-14. We had no business even being in that game at the end. It would have been nice if the defense had stepped up and picked him up when he needed it . . . .

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I do think he got too hyped in that last series against the Saints...every throw was high.

You're probably right, he was pushing the envelope a bit hard towards the end of the game, but in all fairness, he'd been fighting so hard in that game and making up for the D's deficiencies and in reality we wouldn't have been in the game if it wasn't for him.

Edit: @jrry32 said it a lot more eloquently than me above.

VARAM

Starter
Watching Colin Cowherd today and he was comparing Aaron Rogers to a list of "elite QBs" . Jared Goff is on his list as an "elite QB". Go figure!

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Watching Colin Cowherd today and he was comparing Aaron Rogers to a list of "elite QBs" . Jared Goff is on his list as an "elite QB". Go figure!
Someone just posted some great info in another thread about Rodgers. I don’t like piling on, but I have always found Rodgers to be way over-hyped.

The list of 4th quarter come-backs is very telling. Guys like Manning, Brady and Marino have over 40, while Rodgers flounders down the list with Ryan Tannehill at 13.

The very notion that he WOULD HAVE come back and beat the Rams 2 weeks ago is laughable. History says otherwise.

I see in Jared Goff a clutch player that will not suffer such a fate. Lord willing, we will see plenty of comebacks from “Jared Cool”, and plenty of blowouts, too.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
When you watch Jared Goff out you see a quarterback who isn't rah rah or fired up. But he has a quiet confidence. Seems like nothing phases the kid. The biggest knock is his lack of game winning drives in the final two minutes. He's going to have some late game heroics to where that won't be an issue. He just had many opportunities. As good as Rogers is, he's failed in that area on occasion. Game winning drives are not something you want to make a habit of. Your not going to succeed every time. Be good for the first 58 minutes and you won't need it.

RamWoodie

Legend
QBs are human. Rarely will a QB have a perfect game. Goff's game against Minnesota is as close to perfect as I've seen a QB play in a very long time. Looking back at that second half, Goff was basically perfect until those two last drives. He missed a couple throws, but the reality is that a QB is going to miss throws. Even the best QBs will miss throws. It happens to Brady. It happens to Rodgers. It happens to Brees. Hell, it happened to Russell Wilson on 4th down against us.

The problem in that game is that our defense put us in such a hole that Goff had to be perfect for us to win. That's just not fair to him. Frankly, I think that's a totally different game if the refs don't botch that 4th down call. But that's neither here nor there. Point is that the only reason we were in that game was because of the offense, and Goff played arguably the biggest role in us storming back from down 35-14. We had no business even being in that game at the end. It would have been nice if the defense had stepped up and picked him up when he needed it . . . .
Oh..so the defense didn't get any stops that gave the offense the ball back to give Goff that opportunity??? NONSENSE!!! This is a team game and the defense helped turn it around because they stopped the Saints offense and got the ball back to the Ram offense. I know no QB is perfect. I've been watching QBs for some 42 years jrry32.

This is about Goff being elite...and I'm AL FOR him getting there. I'm just of the opinion he's not there yet. I see him as an EXCELLENT QB on the rise.

Ramzheart

Rookie
P
I concur. Stats dont really define ' elite.' If that was the case Matt Statford and Stat Ryan would be elite and I'm pretty damned sure all the peeps in this thread labeling Goff elite wouldnt rate those two elite.

Give me some playoff wins/ chamionships and then we'll have this convo.
Guys you just can't put this definition in a box and put a bow on it!
There's a group of QB's that have won plenty of playoffs and championships for that matter, who I'm sure the consensus will say aren't "elite"
Eli Manning, Trent Dilfer to name a few..

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most everybody will say Rodgers is elite. Yet it seems elite QB's have to win big games. ARod has lost his last 2 playoff games both to Matt Ryan. Who also wasn't elite enough to hold on to a 25 point lead in the biggest game of his career. It's starting to sound like there are no elite QB's except Nick Foles who won the last Super Bowl after all Brady wasn't elite enough to win that game.

QB wins as a stat to prove elite level of play? Yeah that's just silly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh..so the defense didn't get any stops that gave the offense the ball back to give Goff that opportunity??? NONSENSE!!! This is a team game and the defense helped turn it around because they stopped the Saints offense and got the ball back to the Ram offense. I know no QB is perfect. I've been watching QBs for some 42 years jrry32.

This is about Goff being elite...and I'm AL FOR him getting there. I'm just of the opinion he's not there yet. I see him as an EXCELLENT QB on the rise.

The defense isn't getting credit in a game where they gave up 45 points. Come on, dude.

Ellard80

Legend
Most everybody will say Rodgers is elite. Yet it seems elite QB's have to win big games. ARod has lost his last 2 playoff games both to Matt Ryan. Who also wasn't elite enough to hold on to a 25 point lead in the biggest game of his career. It's starting to sound like there are no elite QB's except Nick Foles who won the last Super Bowl after all Brady wasn't elite enough to win that game.

QB wins as a stat to prove elite level of play? Yeah that's just silly.

The Hall of Fame begs to differ!

I agree about Rodgers with you in many ways - however he often has a shit team around him.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
Statistics AND ring to be elite.

The only QB that does not apply to is Marino. He was elite without a ring. Sometimes I do question that even.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Hall of Fame begs to differ!

I agree about Rodgers with you in many ways - however he often has a crap team around him.
How does it differ? Marino never won and is in the Hall as is Dan Fouts.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
most everyone agrees that goffs first year dose not count. so I don't think elite can be achieved in 2 years but not to worry the elites are coming the elites are coming and the british are welcome.

RamWoodie

Legend
The defense isn't getting credit in a game where they gave up 45 points. Come on, dude.
Ok so the Rams were down 35-17 at the half...the Saints scored ZERO points in the 3rd qtr while the Rams score 10...BUT...according to you the defense get no credit for the 3rd qtr against one of the best offenses in the NFL???

When you say "come on dude" look in the mirror!!! The game was billed as a shootout from the jump despite the defenses. EVERYONE knew points were gonna be scored...jrry32... don't be disingenuous.

Ellard80

Legend
How does it differ? Marino never won and is in the Hall as is Dan Fouts.

around 70% of the QB's in the Hall of Fame have won a super bowl (Superbowl era)

That being said it would be a huge disappointment if Goff never wins a Superbowl - totally expect he will.

There are also some QB's in my mind that are or will be in the Hall of Fame that don't really deserve to be - just because of Super Bowls (I don't think Troy Aikman should be)

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
He took the #32 offense in the league to #1 in an offseason
That’s amazing. He’s amazing. The fact that he’s young and is 0-1 in the playoffs doesn’t diminish his genius in the slightest
looks like a Ram fan snuck some logic into their dizzy-fest?

Goff is not mobile and can’t throw on the run like Patty

This is another one of those incorrect narratives. I’m thinking of Jared’s rollout throw to the back of the end zone to Kupp, another one to Woods in the Niner game, an escape with a perfect dump off touch to Gurley....etc.

No problem.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok so the Rams were down 35-17 at the half...the Saints scored ZERO points in the 3rd qtr while the Rams score 10...BUT...according to you the defense get no credit for the 3rd qtr against one of the best offenses in the NFL???

When you say "come on dude" look in the mirror!!! The game was billed as a shootout from the jump despite the defenses. EVERYONE knew points were gonna be scored...jrry32... don't be disingenuous.

The defense gets no credit for making a total of three stops in the entirety of that game (counting the fumble in the first half). Don't complain to me that I'm not crediting the defense enough (and try to use "nonsense") when they gave up 45 points. They don't get credit because they didn't let the Saints score on literally every drive. Believing they should is setting the bar ridiculously low.

Disingenuous is complaining to me that I'm not giving the defense enough credit in a game where they gave up 45 points and put us in a 35-14 hole in the first half. No, I'm not giving them credit for the comeback. The least they could do is get two stops.