It is Terrible Now but Fine Then

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yes Jarts! Everyone at that time knew that was f'd up.:rolllaugh: Clackers sounds familiar but I can't remember what they were.
They were like two pool balls tied together with a cord. You'd hold the cord in the middle letting the balls dangle. You'd start pulling the cord up to get the balls to clack together until you had them hitting at top and bottom. And sooner or later, you'd lose control and the balls would most likely hit you somewhere. Painful and daring. Kinda like nunchucks. They were taken off the market when a few instances of the balls exploding, sending shards everywhere. Our parents loved us back then!!!!

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They were like two pool balls tied together with a cord. You'd hold the cord in the middle letting the balls dangle. You'd start pulling the cord up to get the balls to clack together until you had them hitting at top and bottom. And sooner or later, you'd lose control and the balls would most likely hit you somewhere. Painful and daring. Kinda like nunchucks. They were taken off the market when a few instances of the balls exploding, sending shards everywhere. Our parents loved us back then!!!!
Thanks I do remember those. I was never able to get them to clack more than twice. Though some people at school were great at it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So I had to check this for myself since I know it will sound like an old man's story...

I started walking to school when I was in 1st grade. I really wondered how far it was when I started reading this thread... so I Googled it... "How far is Manana Elementary School from Paaaina St". And guess you what??? I freaking walked .7 miles one way to school (almost a mile).

Not through the snow uphill mind you... but it was worse. I was one of the two Haoles who attended that school. And just so you know... back in the 70s, Haoles were not as accepted as they are today in The 808. It was still a "real sight" to see a Haole back then in Pearl City. I would get harassed by adults along my walk to and from school each day. If you were to visit Pearl City today... the place has become a real shithole... it would be hard to imagine a Haole 1st grader being allowed to walk out the front door much less walk that far alone to school.

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Our teachers used to be able to paddle your ass with paddles designed to leave signature marks on your ass. And... they perform this ass beating right outside the classroom so that your classmates could all hear the beating before your had to walk back into the classroom and sit your burning ass back down at your desk.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Our teachers used to be able to paddle your ass with paddles designed to leave signature marks on your ass. And... they perform this ass beating right outside the classroom so that your classmates could all hear the beating before your had to walk back into the classroom and sit your burning ass back down at your desk.
Paddling at my school wasn't decentralized like that. All paddling was performed by the principal in his office. His paddle was wrapped in barbed wire. Alright no barbed wire but it had holes drilled in it. Teachers did yank ears and slam rulers on hands in class though.

The difference back then was whatever punishment you got at school was easy compared to what was waiting for you at home. The absolute worst thing was a call from school to your parents.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Paddling at my school wasn't decentralized like that. All paddling was performed by the principal in his office. His paddle was wrapped in barbed wire. Alright no barbed wire but it had holes drilled in it. Teachers did yank ears and slam rulers on hands in class though.

The difference back then was whatever punishment you got at school was easy compared to what was waiting for you at home. The absolute worst thing was a call from school to your parents.

There was a time when my mom told my pops that she had to go shopping for some new dresses because she had already worn all of hers to the principal's office already. God knows she couldn't be seen in the same dress twice at the principal's office lol. That's when pops told me that I'd be paying for all the new dresses that might be needed. My trips to the office were curbed somewhat after that... but I did have to pay for a couple of dresses.

As for the paddling... I really think the threat of it was almost as powerful as the actual beating. Especially if you ever actually witnessed a student being walked out into the hall right outside of the classroom... hear the paddling... and then watch the paddle-ee do the walk of shame back to his desk while trying to pretend it didn't hurt. You never wanted to be THAT guy after seeing that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

In Elemenraty school this was the case where I was too. Teachers would often lay the paddle across the part of your desk that didn't fold up where you had the "pencil holder" grooves. That was your warning. After that it was out to the hallway for a whack.

Until Jr. High..........see below.

Paddling at my school wasn't decentralized like that. All paddling was performed by the principal in his office.

Then in Jr High you got sent to the Principals office at a specific time. Usually at the start of lunch hour, but occasionally after school. All the kids would be sitting/standing there and go into the office one at a time and get paddled. He had it hanging on his wall LOL. There were holes drill in it to help increase the speed I guess and his college fraternity Greek letters were carved into it.

And yeah for you guys under 40 if you got paddled at school you got more at home. My father wasn't big on spanking unless it was something pretty bad. But if you got paddled at school they called the parents and let then know. Usually that meant no TV for a few days or the "go to your room" treatment. Which now wouldn't be punishment unless you took the TV and tablet away form the kid too LOL.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Something else I just thought of...

Drinking Age used to be 18... then they uped it to 21. I missed the cutoff and had to wait the extra 3 years to drink legally. Meanwhile, some of my friends were able to legally drink at 18. That was here in FL... maybe that went down differently in other states.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Drinking Age used to be 18... then they uped it to 21. I missed the cutoff and had to wait the extra 3 years to drink legally. Meanwhile, some of my friends were able to legally drink at 18. That was here in FL... maybe that went down differently in other states.

Back home in Ohio it was 18, then it changed to 18 for 3.2 beer 21 for booze, then 21 for everything.

You may remember, or maybe not, brewers (not all of them) made 3.2% beer and it was called "near beer" haha.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Yes Jarts! Everyone at that time knew that was f'd up.:rolllaugh: Clackers sounds familiar but I can't remember what they were.
Problem with the original ones is after a while the suckers would explode sending pieces everywhere.

71ID21B4pUL._SL1500_.jpg

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David

Funny, back in WI I was buying beer when I was 15. Had a little mustache going and back in the early 70's no one gave a damn. Hell we even had a cop trip over a case of beer in the park one time and ignore it because he was looking for kids smoking weed.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut

It was 21 in MO but 19 in IL. 18 in MS.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
So I can see it now... all the MO peeps were like "Road Trip" for a beer run. Hahahaha
Yes for those of us close to a bridge over the Mississippi. Dupo, IL must have had 8 package beer stores back then. Then Columbia, IL had a few taverns too. I remember a small tavern there (that was still there 10 years ago) where my friend and I spent the afternoon drinking 35 cents Buds. It had three fairly tall stone steps up from the sidewalk. When we left I missed all three. Never felt a thing. Went straight to ball practice. Oh to be young and stupid rather than old and stupid.;)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So I had to check this for myself since I know it will sound like an old man's story...

I started walking to school when I was in 1st grade. I really wondered how far it was when I started reading this thread... so I Googled it... "How far is Manana Elementary School from Paaaina St". And guess you what??? I freaking walked .7 miles one way to school (almost a mile).

Not through the snow uphill mind you... but it was worse. I was one of the two Haoles who attended that school. And just so you know... back in the 70s, Haoles were not as accepted as they are today in The 808. It was still a "real sight" to see a Haole back then in Pearl City. I would get harassed by adults along my walk to and from school each day. If you were to visit Pearl City today... the place has become a real shithole... it would be hard to imagine a Haole 1st grader being allowed to walk out the front door much less walk that far alone to school.

Here's something I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Yup.
I got paddled by the Principal in 7th grade.

I had a choice. Take the paddle or be forced to do the "dying cockroach" for 30 minutes.
Which was basically lying on your back in the hallway, with your arms and legs in the air.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Funny, back in WI I was buying beer when I was 15. Had a little mustache going and back in the early 70's no one gave a damn. Hell we even had a cop trip over a case of beer in the park one time and ignore it because he was looking for kids smoking weed.

Back in HS there was a store that would sell to minors but it was a bit of a drive. Once a friend and I were doing a beer run, in his parents car, for a party. We got pulled over and since it was a station wagon the beer and babychams (chicks liked those) were totally visible.

The cop told us to take it out and hand it to him. Case by case we did just that as he loaded it all into his police cruiser. Once we were done he said "don't move I'll be right back" and took off. We sat there for about 2 seconds before taking off ourselves. We knew he robbed us of the booze but didn't care. There was a big bag of weed under my seat.

We got lucky because while he was just taking the booze to teach us a lesson I don't think he would have looked past a quarter pound of pot.

I was one of the biggest dealers in my HS when I was a senior and actually had a great thing going. I was at one point buying kilos for $750 then weighing out two pounds in two different bags and selling them for $400-$450 a pound depending on the weed. Red and Gold fetched the $450. I always pulled out the best buds for myself. I had so much pot laying around I used to throw large buds to people at parties. I found the connection out of sheer dumb luck and the guy literally had large garbage bags of week in his apartment and was supplying A LOT of local dealers.

I was making 50-150 bucks a week and keeping up to several ounces for myself every month for about three straight months then the guy disappeared. Probably either arrested or took off to avoid arrest. It was fun while it lasted!

An ounce back then was 40-45 bucks. 50 if it was premium. Maybe a little more if it was senisimilla, which was rare back then.

And the pot was nowhere NEAR as strong as it is now. In an evening you could do 20 plus bong hits or more. That might kill someone now HAHAHA.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
I was one of the biggest dealers in my HS when I was a senior and actually had a great thing going.
Biggest dealer in our high school was one of the History teachers. He got busted the year after I graduated.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Back in HS there was a store that would sell to minors but it was a bit of a drive. Once a friend and I were doing a beer run, in his parents car, for a party. We got pulled over and since it was a station wagon the beer and babychams (chicks liked those) were totally visible.

The cop told us to take it out and hand it to him. Case by case we did just that as he loaded it all into his police cruiser. Once we were done he said "don't move I'll be right back" and took off. We sat there for about 2 seconds before taking off ourselves. We knew he robbed us of the booze but didn't care. There was a big bag of weed under my seat.

We got lucky because while he was just taking the booze to teach us a lesson I don't think he would have looked past a quarter pound of pot.

I was one of the biggest dealers in my HS when I was a senior and actually had a great thing going. I was at one point buying kilos for $750 then weighing out two pounds in two different bags and selling them for $400-$450 a pound depending on the weed. Red and Gold fetched the $450. I always pulled out the best buds for myself. I had so much pot laying around I used to throw large buds to people at parties. I found the connection out of sheer dumb luck and the guy literally had large garbage bags of week in his apartment and was supplying A LOT of local dealers.

I was making 50-150 bucks a week and keeping up to several ounces for myself every month for about three straight months then the guy disappeared. Probably either arrested or took off to avoid arrest. It was fun while it lasted!

An ounce back then was 40-45 bucks. 50 if it was premium. Maybe a little more if it was senisimilla, which was rare back then.

And the pot was nowhere NEAR as strong as it is now. In an evening you could do 20 plus bong hits or more. That might kill someone now HAHAHA.
Thin fingers or fat fingers?:D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of smoking...
Back in the day nowhere was out of bounds
appeal-to-authority-doctors-and-camels.png

women-smoking-cigarettes-from-the-1930s-4.jpg

man-smoking-cigarette-while-reading-newspaper-in-hospital-bed-harris-JENGNE.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My (almost entire) elementary school walked to school, then walked home for lunch, then back to school, then home. If someone had nobody at home to make lunch they went to a friends house. If someone had nowhere to go they could bring lunch and eat it in the gym at lunchtime. That's what the kids in kindergarten did, they didn't walk home. Although some did if they had an older sibling they could go with.
How fucking long was your lunch break? Ours was 40 minutes. Ain't no way that's happening in 40 minutes.

So after a few minutes who the freak was dumb enough to catch the ball LOL?
We were all invincible masochists as kids.

Me with a clacker was like Mel Brooks in this clip.

View: https://youtu.be/mnLMAT5UCt0

We also all carried pocket knives.
It was just part of being a kid.
We never even thought to use them as a weapon
My dad would get flat out pissed if I didn't have a pocket knife on me to use when we were working on things.

Friggin candy asses!:D My second grade teacher "Miller the Killer" had a paddle with holes in it hanging right behind his desk. He would yard you out of your seat, have you bend over his desk with your ass facing the class and paddle you for all to witness. It really sucked because I.... shall we say... racked disciprine.

My 6th grade teacher had a switch hanging behind his desk. Fortunately, I learned a bit more disciprine by that time.

Absolutely on the follow up punishment. My elementary school principal Forrest Woods (real name) had a black ring around the tip of his index finger from calling parents. I don't think I ever got paddled by him but I definitely helped make that ring darker.

You may remember, or maybe not, brewers (not all of them) made 3.2% beer and it was called "near beer" haha.
Near Beer was an actual beer with less than .5% alcohol. It was considered non-alcoholic. One of our Jr High teachers let us bring it on a field trip. He got suspended for it as the principal thought he was setting a bad example.
s-l640.jpg

So.... my turn.

I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. We rode our bikes or skateboarded everywhere. In first grade, I rode my bike to school every day. Just Googled it. 1.2 miles one way from 8647 Corbin Ave to Winnetka Ave Elementary and..... What helmet? The school had huge bike racks that were always full. I also used to ride my bike to Reseda Park 4.5 miles away to go fishing in the little lake they had there. I don't remember catching much and the thought of eating anything out of that pond.... :sick: Kids are pussies these days.

If friends came over to our house and I had chores, they either helped or had to leave. But we had the only pool around so they usually didn't mind doing a little weeding, scoop leaves from the pool, etc... When your chores were done, you were on your own as long as you were home right after the street lights started coming on.

About a block away from my house, they were building a strip mall. After they had put up the shell, they apparently ran out of money. So while it was sitting there not being worked on, a bunch of us broke in and started building ramps out of the building materials inside. We were little Evel Knievels. The inside of the strip mall was about a hundred yards or more of clean concrete with no walls. You could get a pretty good head of steam going. All the kids wore helmets for this.

My house had a junior Olympic size pool that was empty about half the time. The deep end was 12' and of course, the goal was to start in the shallow end and see how high up on the wall you could get. It wasn't built for skateboarding so the wall went pretty much straight up. No - no helmets, knee pads, elbow pads. Just a banana board with a kick tail, Chicago Trucks and Cadillac wheels.

Got my first 22 when I was 8, 30/30 when I was 12, shotgun at 13. Hunted squirrels, deer, dove, and quail when I was 13. We would go out on our ranch and split up so 13 years old, 30/30 in hand, 900 acre ranch after moving to the SLO area.

We used to take those 22 cal charges for driving anchors in concrete and put them in our rifles and have war games. Fun times. My parents also had a Revolutionary war era cannon. The inside diameter of the barrel was the size of a large dog food can. My brother and I would load it with IIRR 5 oz of black powder and a few rags then a little in the fuse hole and rock the neighborhood. We had to spike down the hitch as it would go backward several feet if you didn't. When you spiked it down, it would lift its wagon wheels about 8" off the ground. We still shoot it off at least once when I'm down there for Christmas.

Riding in the back of a pick-up and also in the back seats of my parents '67 Chevy wagon.

Trick or treating with a big group of kids that ranged in age from 5 to 13 through what is now gangland USA.

Driving the pick up on the roads around the ranch when I was 14 acting like a Baja racer. I actually used to pull a pipe trailer between ranches that were 10 miles apart when I was 14. It really wasn't all that uncommon. Neither was operating all the tractors, swathers, herrow beds, 8 wheel tractor with plow, seeder, etc.. Put the sheeting on the roof of our pole barn 30 feet up when I was 15.

Last edited: