It is Terrible Now but Fine Then

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
My how things have changed. Especially involving safety. What do you remember from your childhood? Examples please.

Here's a baby in an overhead cradle on an airplane in the early 1950s. I wonder if it was water tight?

48172e5fe5f554c0db184eb341b731a8.jpg

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Seatbelts only in the front seats of our 63 Pontiac.

Riding in the back of a pick-up down the highway at 70 mph.

No such thing as a bicycle helmet.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Walking to school without adult supervision.....in the 1st grade.
It just wasnt a big deal back then

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
In the early 90's in second grade my mom used to let me walk a few blocks down the street to the 7-11 by myself in San Diego. It didn't seem like a big deal back then, but I have a first grader of my own now and hell no.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My how things have changed. Especially involving safety. What do you remember from your childhood? Examples please.

Here's a baby in an overhead cradle on an airplane in the early 1950s. I wonder if it was water tight?

48172e5fe5f554c0db184eb341b731a8.jpg
Meanwhile, about 4 rows ahead was likely the "smoking section"

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Walked alone from school; went trick or treating alone; went outside; drank water from the hose, riding SCOOTERS with no helmets.

God I was stupid.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Walked alone from school; went trick or treating alone; went outside; drank water from the hose, riding SCOOTERS with no helmets.

God I was stupid.
Not stupid. Normal. Stupid is being afraid of everything. You were normal. I believe parents owe that to their kids.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
In my neighborhood we were big on mud ball fights and BB gun battles.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
4th of July without firecrackers should be a crime.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Delivering papers at age 12 without parental supervision.

I tried to set my boys up with a route back in 2005 when they were around 14 and the city required an adult to go along. So there I was driving the boys around at 5:30am in my SUV. :rolleyes:

Kind of takes away from the experience.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Seatbelts only in the front seats of our 63 Pontiac.

They used to be an option that you had to pay for.

To this day school buses don't have seat belts and I just don't understand that.

My (almost entire) elementary school walked to school, then walked home for lunch, then back to school, then home. If someone had nobody at home to make lunch they went to a friends house. If someone had nowhere to go they could bring lunch and eat it in the gym at lunchtime. That's what the kids in kindergarten did, they didn't walk home. Although some did if they had an older sibling they could go with.

And we had recess in the afternoon. Everyone would go outside to play.

This was a tiny school that served the neighborhood. Each grade had one or two classrooms, there were 5 grades and kindergarten.

Things like this don't exist anymore I'm guessing.

Meanwhile, about 4 rows ahead was likely the "smoking section"

LOL yup.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Playing in the neighborhood with friends, all day, without the need to call home and/or check in. Gone in the morning, home by dinner. That's all that was planned. No worries.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Shooting bottle rockets at each other in a game of "war".

If one blew up close to you, it was a good laugh.

lol.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Dodgeball in school. Some people thought that it was "targeting" kids, so they banned it. I remember having so much fun in PE during my elementary school days...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Our high school had a smoking section. Even though most people there weren't old enough to smoke.
Nobody cared.

My HS also had a smoking area, called Hippie Hall. It was closed off by doors and had an outdoor area where kids smoked also. That's where most of the weed purchases were made haha. And where people would meet up to go out in someones car to drive around and get high.

It used to be one of the finest high schools in the nation but I don't know if that's still the case.

The smoking hall was turned into a daycare. I don't know if it still is, but at one time it was.

Oddly only one girl in Jr. High and High School gave birth in the six years I was there.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Delivering papers at age 12 without parental supervision.

I tried to set my boys up with a route back in 2005 when they were around 14 and the city required an adult to go along. So there I was driving the boys around at 5:30am in my SUV. :rolleyes:

Kind of takes away from the experience.
It takes all the meaningful work ethic experience out of it. At least it was some time with dad.(y)

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Dodgeball in school. Some people thought that it was "targeting" kids, so they banned it. I remember having so much fun in PE during my elementary school days...
Yeah dodgeball was great. Well it sucked as a freshman. Kicked ass as a senior!:yess: