Is Mannion the best QB on the roster right now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm on my phone I'm not gonna multi quote but

You don't like Goff because (1) we traded up and picked him number 1 (2) kronke made the football guys pick him is what I got from that

You're right kronke is a shrewd and intelligent buissness man .... but he also knows he needs to win in LA .. Mcvay has no draft status loyalty to Goff. Mcvay needs to win to get this he is too young / goffs buddy off his back ... I'm 99.99% sure that if mannion was the best QB on this team that gave us the best chance to win .... 14 would be starting not 16

I'm not saying mannion isn't a decent back up so don't get me wrong ... but he isn't a starting QB

I don't like Goff because he never called a play in the huddle, I don't like Goff because he can't read defenses I don't like Goff because he don't know his hot reads. He was not ready to be the number 1 pick on a Fisher led team.

That's why I said THIS year I'm willing to see what he has with McVay. But I bet McVay don't wait 7 games to put Mannion in if Goff is struggling.

I have said time and time again that McVay is going to give Goff every chance to prove himself, but that preseason game was telling because he got Goff out right away when he was struggling so imagine if it's in a real game that counts.

People might think I'm some blind guy that just like Mannion inspite of Goff but I just see a better QB. Will that be case later in the season I don't know but from their rate of progression I would expect it to be the same .

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't like Goff because he never called a play in the huddle, I don't like Goff because he can't read defenses I don't like Goff because he don't know his hot reads

He does and knows all that stuff now.

Also McVay said he would have liked to keep Goff in longer because over the course of a game you can rebound from something like that, but he wanted to stick to the plan, so it seems that Goff played exactly as much as McVay wanted him too. If there's one thing McVay has been consistent on, its that he really does not want preseason injuries. Look how upset he was over the loss of Hemmingway, our third string TE... Imagine how he'd feel if that was Goff? I don't think you're going to see McVay play a lot of starters in the preseason like Fisher, and Spags, and a lot of other coaches did for us.

We were practically resting our entire defense in the game, McVay doesn't want guys going down, that much is clear. That seems to be why Goff has had limited targets and nothing more, at least if you take McVay for his word. It's all consistent though, how he's treated guys like Gurley and Quinn as well.

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
I don't like Goff because he never called a play in the huddle, I don't like Goff because he can't read defenses I don't like Goff because he don't know his hot reads. He was not ready to be the number 1 pick on a Fisher led team.

That's why I said THIS year I'm willing to see what he has with McVay. But I bet McVay don't wait 7 games to put Mannion in if Goff is struggling.

I have said time and time again that McVay is going to give Goff every chance to prove himself, but that preseason game was telling because he got Goff out right away when he was struggling so imagine if it's in a real game that counts.

People might think I'm some blind guy that just like Mannion inspite of Goff but I just see a better QB. Will that be case later in the season I don't know but from their rate of progression I would expect it to be the same .
That type of clear, detailed reasoning won't cut it around here with the Goff Cultists. You must hate him because he stole your girlfriend, or has better hair.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'd like to settle this once and for all.

It's obvious - it's all @Rynie's fault. He's a cowboy fan, even had a pic of Romo as his avatar.
Then Romo gets hurt, and Dak (Who?) steps in, and does a a great job - (he really did, and don't tell me it was his line yada yada yada - the guy is for real),

so now everybody expects Goff to be the second coming after 8 games.

Thanks a lot Rynie - sheesh.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
B27DB084-23C9-42C4-9112-7289B53BBE13-17058-00000C56DA0DDE95.gif

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Okay...who necro'd this thread???

Edit: @Dxmissile , that's it. You must be punished.

No+Soup+For+You.jpg

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I think its pretty much safe to say if you have people aurging about the #1 vs #2 qb, the team still needs a qb! Thats not up for debate. Personally i took last yr off of football becuase i was (an still am to an extent) butt hurt over the rams leaving stl, so i just seen veey little of Goff playing. But i did like Mannion even as a rookie and believe he shoild have had a shot 2yrs ago. Anyway... I wouldnt care who's the starter as long as we win some damn games and stop looking like an DIII College offense

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
Nor will labeling people. Juss sayin'.

Love, a former Samologist.
I never named anyone specifically, but if the the shoe fits, you're free to wear it.
Oh, and thanks for your love, every little bit is appreciated.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I never named anyone specifically, but if the the shoe fits, you're free to wear it.
I didn't say you singled anyone out.
I said labeling people won't cut it around here.

And I get that you're super cool and defiant like Fonzie, but I stopped being impressed by that when I was 12.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I'd like to settle this once and for all.

It's obvious - it's all @Rynie's fault. He's a cowboy fan, even had a pic of Romo as his avatar.
Then Romo gets hurt, and Dak (Who?) steps in, and does a a great job - (he really did, and don't tell me it was his line yada yada yada - the guy is for real),

so now everybody expects Goff to be the second coming after 8 games.

Thanks a lot Rynie - sheesh.
Straight up, we got lucky. NOBODY thought Dak would end up being this consistent and accurate. His problem was the deep ball, which he's been working on all off-season, and it has gotten better. Our defense and head coach is what is going to hold us back. Several rookie DB's have been hurt.

Who's excited about football?! We are 10 days away!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

@-X- is doing you a favor, bud. He's telling you that shit doesn't fly here. You're new. You're still learning the culture. Heed his advice. You can respectfully disagree with people's POV. You can hold a contrary opinion. But you haven't built up the sort of equity to stick around here if it looks like you're trying to create divisions. The mods here don't fuck around. Even respected veteran posters get booted or get close to it when they start to step over the line.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That type of clear, detailed reasoning won't cut it around here with the Goff Cultists. You must hate him because he stole your girlfriend, or has better hair.

If it helps, I'll give you the clear, detailed reasoning from a "Goff Cultist" as to why Mannion isn't a starting caliber QB. My thoughts on Mannion after watching him throughout college and every snap he's played as a Ram:
  • Tall, well-built frame
  • Great accuracy and touch on fade routes
  • Decisive and accurate in the short passing game
  • Good field awareness with regards to knowing where his check-down and outlets are (especially when blitzed)
  • Smart and tough kid
  • Below average to average arm strength
  • Poor accuracy in the intermediate range (hangs his WRs out to dry)
  • Lacks aggression; too content to dink and dunk
  • Slow feet and deliberate mechanics
  • Elongated throwing motion
  • Throws off-balance too often
  • No ability to improvise or escape pressure; statue in the pocket; stone feet
  • Deep ball outside of the fade is very hit and miss; ball tends to hang in the air
  • Rattled by the rush; doesn't like being moved off his spot
  • Spends too much time on his first read; needs to see the field better (often looks to the check-down if he doesn't like what he sees with his first read)
Mannion reminds me of Nick Foles and Mike Glennon. He has Glennon's mindset (dink and dunk rather than Foles's over-aggressiveness) with Foles's mannerisms and physical attributes (they have the same issue with throwing off-balance). I expect Mannion to stick around for a long time as a backup QB. He's smart. He seems like a good guy in the locker-room. He can manage the game if you need it. He will be able to adapt to a backup role in any scheme.

However, he lacks the physical attributes to be a starting QB imo. Some guys find a way to compensate for that. Mannion just isn't one of them. He just doesn't offer the sort of dynamic play that you need from a guy when he lacks the physical talent. Mannion can manage the game. He can go out there and not lose it for you, but he's not the type that you can trust to go win you games.

Why is Goff better? There are a host of reasons, but I'll keep things relatively short:
  • Goff is a much more physically talented passer; he has much better feet/movement and arm strength
  • Goff already sees the field better than Mannion and moves more quickly through his reads; he processes things a lot faster on the field
  • Goff has better movement and instincts in the pocket
  • Goff has much more upside in terms of accuracy; he doesn't have the gaping mechanical flaws that Mannion just can't seem to escape
  • Goff has a much quicker release
Simply put, Goff is the more physically talented QB but also possesses better instincts and skill. He's not better than Mannion in every area yet, but I am betting he gets there sooner than later. However, he is currently a better overall QB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say you singled anyone out.
I said labeling people won't cut it around here.

And I get that you're super cool and defiant like Fonzie, but I stopped being impressed by that when I was 12.

don't mind him, he's a little lost.

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
@-X- is doing you a favor, bud. He's telling you that crap doesn't fly here. You're new. You're still learning the culture. Heed his advice. You can respectfully disagree with people's POV. You can hold a contrary opinion. But you haven't built up the sort of equity to stick around here if it looks like you're trying to create divisions. The mods here don't freak around. Even respected veteran posters get booted or get close to it when they start to step over the line.
You know maybe you're right. There seems to be this ambiguous love at all cost theme that seems strange to me. I've read the terms of service a couple of times and it continues to seem vague. The descriptions are so subjective, I'm not sure what to think. As I see it, there's really no point in conformity at all cost, civility seems to me as the greater value. However, I'm finding it in short supply when one deviates from the let's talk happy mindset.

Kevin61

UDFA
Name
Kevin
If it helps, I'll give you the clear, detailed reasoning from a "Goff Cultist" as to why Mannion isn't a starting caliber QB. My thoughts on Mannion after watching him throughout college and every snap he's played as a Ram:
  • Tall, well-built frame
  • Great accuracy and touch on fade routes
  • Decisive and accurate in the short passing game
  • Good field awareness with regards to knowing where his check-down and outlets are (especially when blitzed)
  • Smart and tough kid
  • Below average to average arm strength
  • Poor accuracy in the intermediate range (hangs his WRs out to dry)
  • Lacks aggression; too content to dink and dunk
  • Slow feet and deliberate mechanics
  • Elongated throwing motion
  • Throws off-balance too often
  • No ability to improvise or escape pressure; statue in the pocket; stone feet
  • Deep ball outside of the fade is very hit and miss; ball tends to hang in the air
  • Rattled by the rush; doesn't like being moved off his spot
  • Spends too much time on his first read; needs to see the field better (often looks to the check-down if he doesn't like what he sees with his first read)
Mannion reminds me of Nick Foles and Mike Glennon. He has Glennon's mindset (dink and dunk rather than Foles's over-aggressiveness) with Foles's mannerisms and physical attributes (they have the same issue with throwing off-balance). I expect Mannion to stick around for a long time as a backup QB. He's smart. He seems like a good guy in the locker-room. He can manage the game if you need it. He will be able to adapt to a backup role in any scheme.

However, he lacks the physical attributes to be a starting QB imo. Some guys find a way to compensate for that. Mannion just isn't one of them. He just doesn't offer the sort of dynamic play that you need from a guy when he lacks the physical talent. Mannion can manage the game. He can go out there and not lose it for you, but he's not the type that you can trust to go win you games.

Why is Goff better? There are a host of reasons, but I'll keep things relatively short:
  • Goff is a much more physically talented passer; he has much better feet/movement and arm strength
  • Goff already sees the field better than Mannion and moves more quickly through his reads; he processes things a lot faster on the field
  • Goff has better movement and instincts in the pocket
  • Goff has much more upside in terms of accuracy; he doesn't have the gaping mechanical flaws that Mannion just can't seem to escape
  • Goff has a much quicker release
Simply put, Goff is the more physically talented QB but also possesses better instincts and skill. He's not better than Mannion in every area yet, but I am betting he gets there sooner than later. However, he is currently a better overall QB.
That's a good reply, I could quibble with a bit of it (maybe more), but it's detailed and well thought out. Your Foles and Glennon comps are exactly my thoughts. The problem is, I think Foles and Glennon are better QB's than Goff right now. That may change, but for now it's true.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
And for post 191, I say YES. Guess what neither of us are currently wrong because NO ONE knows what both quarterbacks really are. In my OPINION Mannion is better and in your OPINION he is not.

We don't have all the data that would tell us who will be better down the line or weather or not to replace Goff with Mannion. Only time will tell that--maybe halfway through the season or so; so it's a useless and moot opinion that amounts to trolling up the forum.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
They need to bring back Bryan Scott from Oxy!.Once Dan-O leaves the building.

I would really like to see a cat from DIV III bring heat. It might speed up the learning process for both Goff and Mannion for whatever problems they got.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know maybe you're right. There seems to be this ambiguous love at all cost theme that seems strange to me. I've read the terms of service a couple of times and it continues to seem vague. The descriptions are so subjective, I'm not sure what to think. As I see it, there's really no point in conformity at all cost, civility seems to me as the greater value. However, I'm finding it in short supply when one deviates from the let's talk happy mindset.

Conformity isn't necessary, but there isn't a lot of patience around here for pessimism. This is an optimistic board. There are plenty of other Rams forums on the web if you want the woe is me talk. You can criticize. You can state opinions that aren't the norm (such as Mannion > Goff), but if all you're bringing to the board is negativity, you're likely to get booted eventually.

If that bothers you, as I said, there are plenty of other Rams forums that foster a negative atmosphere. That isn't to say that things never get negative around here. It happens, and they're pretty patient when it's warranted (like on game days during a 4-12 season). But this place tries to keep it to a minimum.

That's a good reply, I could quibble with a bit of it (maybe more), but it's detailed and well thought out. Your Foles and Glennon comps are exactly my thoughts. The problem is, I think Foles and Glennon are better QB's than Goff right now. That may change, but for now it's true.

It's your truth. However, it's not my truth. I expect Goff to surprise a lot of people this year. Hopefully, it's you being surprised and not I. :LOL: