Is Mannion the best QB on the roster right now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bringing up this dusty ass thread.

Not meaning to sound like a dick, but you getting paid to be Mannion's internet bodyguard?
The same way everyone else is in Goffs payroll

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The same way everyone else is in Goffs payroll
Sooo... because we hope that Goff lives up to his scouting report and we didn't waste a whole bunch of draft picks for nothing, we are on his "payroll"?

I am just looking for the best outcome for all of Rams Nation.

That would be that we have our franchise 12 year starter in Goff and Mannion looks so good that he peeks some team's interest and we get a first rounder for him.

But I hope the coaches start the best quarterback.
However, I think that's going to be Goff if the situation is handled normally and correctly.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sooo... because we hope that Goff lives up to his scouting report and we didn't waste a whole bunch of draft picks for nothing, we are on his "payroll"?

I am just looking for the best outcome for all of Rams Nation.

That would be that we have our franchise 12 year starter in Goff and Mannion looks so good that he peeks some team's interest and we get a first rounder for him.

But I hope the coaches start the best quarterback.
However, I think that's going to be Goff if the situation is handled normally and correctly.
Lol I have said plenty of times that I hope the coaches give Goff every chance to succeed, I also don't criticize Goff during the season. And the payroll statement was in response to me being called Mannions internet bodyguard

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anybody think that Goff might have been injured? I noticed that his passes were wobbly and coming out slow after the fumble. You know, in the preseason, the staff does not have to report injuries. Could that explain the consecutive called running plays?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anybody think that Goff might have been injured? I noticed that his passes were wobbly and coming out slow after the fumble. You know, in the preseason, the staff does not have to report injuries. Could that explain the consecutive called running plays?
I was wondering that too it could have been a Lil stinger or something better to be cautious if they thought something was wrong.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
No way I'm reading through 9 pages to see if this was mentioned but Hekker does have a better overall completion rate, better 4th down completion rate, better td to int rate, and better gross, AND net punting average.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Lol I have said plenty of times that I hope the coaches give Goff every chance to succeed, I also don't criticize Goff during the season. And the payroll statement was in response to me being called Mannions internet bodyguard
Now you're making sense. :D
I've been reading your stuff for at least eight or nine years on old Rams Talk and for a moment I thought I was in Bizarro land.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How did this thread from last year get brought forward?

A year ago there was no argument anyone could come up with that could convince me otherwise. Right now??? Mannion has gotten most of the game time reps for what ever reason. But Goff has got to be the starter and I'm begging for him to be probowl caliber for the next decade.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
Anyone else ever notice that threads seem to go south after about the 4th or 5th page? :fighting:
shitstorm brewing.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
How did this thread from last year get brought forward?

A year ago there was no argument anyone could come up with that could convince me otherwise. Right now??? Mannion has gotten most of the game time reps for what ever reason. But Goff has got to be the starter and I'm begging for him to be probowl caliber for the next decade.

Browns gotten more reps than Gurley too, I don't think it means anything other than McVay limits reps to his starters so they don't risk injury in a meaningless game.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Browns gotten more reps than Gurley too, I don't think it means anything other than McVay limits reps to his starters so they don't risk injury in a meaningless game.
Playing QB in the NFL is much more difficult that RB. Worrying about your starting QB getting hurt is and will always be a problem but he isn't make reads, going through progressions and leading the team from the bench. This team will be lucky to get it together by mid-season. By then who knows who might be injured.

The games might not count against the season record but I think they are far from meaningless.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Playing QB in the NFL is much more difficult that RB. Worrying about your starting QB getting hurt is and will always be a problem but he isn't make reads, going through progressions and leading the team from the bench. This team will be lucky to get it together by mid-season. By then who knows who might be injured.

The games might not count against the season record but I think they are far from meaningless.

Take it up with McVay man, I dunno, that just seems to be what he's doing. For what it's worth you can do a lot of work on the sidelines when watching and dissecting the plays with the coaches. Goff's not wasting time, he's learning throughout it all, doing a lot of the mental game without risking his body. It's smart.

It's preseason, guys aren't expecting him to run in there in the 4th quarter and lead a comeback.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Good stuff blue.
I also think that McVay is smart enough and realizes what Goff has been through that he is not ready to put the weight of the entire organization on Goff's shoulders.
This is a long-term plan to develop him and he's not going to put Goff in a pressure cooker.
I have always felt that quarterbacks are pushed too hard and not allowed to develop at their proper and differing rates.
Rookies are constantly ruined by putting two tons of weight on their shoulders by desperate coaches who need to win now to save their own jobs.

Again, I'm not going to name any names ...cough, cough Fisher.

There was a good chance we could have done the same thing to Goff last year.
Let's let the experts handle the development (as much fun as it is to second-guess them).

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trust me I know who the starter is and once the season start I would be rooting for Goff the same way I did last year. I didn't say anything negative about Goff during the season and I'm going to be the same way this year.
So you just save the negativity for the off season

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you just save the negativity for the off season
No I call it how I see it in the offseason when he has a full body of work to talk about it. That way I'm able to talk about his postives and negatives that way I'm able to form a better picture of what type of Qb he is. You guys are the one after every game after every throw calling him great and then Mannion turns around and do the same thing and it's because he's playing against backups I don't like the hypocrisy and that's what I call out.

I made my opinion about Goff when he was drafted I never felt like with a coach like Fisher that he should have been drafted in the first place . I have also stated plenty of times that with McVay I'm willing to give Goff a chance. But the hiring of McVay while it was mainly for Goff has benefited Mannion too and if we'retalking about improvement then Mannion in my eyes has made the most improvement so far. That's me acknowledging that Goff still has a lot to show and he might do that when it counts in the regular season. That's why last year I didn't say he sucked or man what an awful throw no I save what I see to talk about it during the offseason.

All I heard from a lot of people when Goff was drafted was his superior feet and pocket presence I was even told that his arm was stronger and better than Mannion people actually said Mannion had a weak arm. I knew all of that to be false. I was told that I couldn't trust my own eyes. I don't forget any of that and I'm still waiting on Goff to prove me wrong I'm still waiting on Goff to show me that he is miles better than Mannion. So far that definitely hasn't happened yet.

But just like last year when the regular season rolls along I'm rooting for him

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys are the one after every game after every throw calling him great and then Mannion turns around and do the same thing and it's because he's playing against backups I don't like the hypocrisy and that's what I call out.
Show me one post of mine where I said Goff is the man after one game and mannion sucks because he is doing it against scrubs
It's cool I'll wait

What you might find though is me saying I was a wentz guy ...but Goff is and will be our starter this year ... I have no real opinion on mannion he is what he is a... backup

I have no problems with mannion if he has to start in case of injury .... what I do have a problem with is Rams fans tearing down our essentially rookie QB ...who has played 7 games!!!! ... there's enough people out there calling him a bust be it the media / other fans / talking heads Why do we have to do it to ? Because he wasn't your guy ? Because you think mannion is better ? Because you don't like the way he looks on the sideline or in the huddle (not specifically aimed at you)

I said in another thread those fans that don't like Goff (but pretend to support him ) are in a win win situation he does well ... they support a playoff team for the first time in what feels like 50 years

If he does bust they can do the I told you so dance ..... and don't think they won't because I saw plenty of that when warner was tearing it up in AZ

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Season starts in 10 days....we may have an answer to this real soon...

Long ways away from Warner and Bulger....sure know that.