In the interest of sparking a good debate during this slow season...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's always tough to pick the best player on a good team. Is Gurley the best player on the Rams? Absolutely. Is Aaron Donald the best player on the Rams? For sure. Is Jared Goff becoming the best player on the Rams? Without a doubt. And there are others who will perhaps emerge....Kupp, Everett.....and still others who will perhaps emerge once they start playing for the Rams.....Peters, Cooks, Kiser. It's a nice exercise....picking the best player on the team.....even if it's virtually impossible to pinpoint (IMHO). One thing it does is show we have enough "great players" to make up a great team.

Good post because yes finally the Rams have lots of good to great players.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald is the Ram's best player. Gurley is the most exciting. Goff is the most valuable (see Mannion).

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@den-the-coach is right here, and I have posted something similar.

An elite RB or even a top 5 RB can effect the scoreboard more than Donald can. .

Of course you posted something similar Les because Great Minds Les, Great Minds! Anyway beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but with the NFL rules the way they are now, scoring is at a premium and you have to look at last year's Super Bowl to understand that. However, Aaron Donald comes along once a decade if you're lucky, but Gurley is special too and hopefully financially the Rams can figure out a way to keep both of them in Horns and winning multiple Super Bowls.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams Offense will be every bit as good in 2018 as they where in 2017.
But, IMHO, all anyone will be talking about this year in the Rams " Terminators" on Defense Donald-Suh-Talib-Peters-Joyner, and Donald will be the MVP of the League as we "Shatter" the Sack Record by week 14!!

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Members of the media consistently confuse the most valuable components of a team with the most popular or polarizing. I think they should elect non single player most valuable awards to for the o line, d line, or defensive back units.

It is impossible to pick "the best' Ram between Gurley, Donald, and the rest of those guys because of the supporting staff. I remember that Donald seemed to be the best player on the team during the Fisher era, but he is not now? Steven Jackson played on horrendous Rams teams, but I never doubted he was the best Ram on the field when he played here. I can't keep from thinking about that.

We can't blame anyone for not performing when the coaching and scheme were bad, but they are the best Ram when both those get turned around? Who is the best coachable? Who is the most valuable? Whose name gets more clicks? Who is the better pure athlete?

When Brockers has a breakout year this year, because of the defensive getting another year, Suh, aand the other defensive pieces we have acquired, is he going to be the best Ram?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

An elite RB or even a top 5 RB can effect the scoreboard more than Donald can. And that's the difference. Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL in my opinion and I don't think there is even a debate about that unless it comes from a biased Texans fan. There is a reason he easily won DPOY.

However this era is all about offense and a player like Gurley makes more of an overall impact on the scoreboard. Football in the NFL is not a sport, it's a business and a competition otherwise it would be free and they wouldn't keep score.

The only DT's in the last 30 years that went to the HOF are Cortez Kennedy, John Randle, Warren Sapp and Randy White.

One of those played in the "passing era" that being Sapp, the rest played well before the rules became slanted towards the offense.

If Gurley were one dimensional, or limited or just really good this would be a much different debate and would be one sided. But he is as versatile as any back in the league right now and is growing into a Faulk type of role. I'm not saying he has Faulk's "football IQ" I'm saying he is playing that kind of role. He's a threat in the running and passing game and is a player that can break off big gains or take it to the end zone anytime he touches the ball.

Last year he accounted for about 140 yards per game. Plus when defenses key on him and focus on slowing him down the Rams punish them through the air.

If the Rams are going to be in the mix for the SB for the next 4-6 years they need Goff and Gurley in the backfield.

There are three games that the Rams won last year where Gurley was the difference. With a "very good" RB those may have been losses. The Cowboys game, the Titans game, and the 49ers game early in the year were all wins because of his performance/production.

That's my opinion anyway.

You seem to be arguing who is more valuable to winning which is another arguement entirely.

MauiRam

Rookie
An elite RB or even a top 5 RB can effect the scoreboard more than Donald can. And that's the difference. Donald is the best defensive player in the NFL in my opinion and I don't think there is even a debate about that unless it comes from a biased Texans fan. There is a reason he easily won DPOY.

However this era is all about offense and a player like Gurley makes more of an overall impact on the scoreboard. Football in the NFL is not a sport, it's a business and a competition otherwise it would be free and they wouldn't keep score.

It is true, Gurley has more opportunities to handle the ball/score. That said, those "opportunities" can be provided by Donald via change of possession at critical moments in a game. Strip tackles/sacks/fumble recoveries, quarterback hurries (resulting in interceptions) often play a critical role in providing opportunities for our O. For this fan, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Clearly our team is blessed to have both Gurley and Donald wearing horns.

If we are trailing by 3 or more possessions in the second half, Gurley's touches will be diminished. It's a team sport: "We - not me"

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Donald does what he does without relying on any other player. Gurley needs a good Oline to be as good as he is.

Not bashing Donald, but playing Devils advocte, the Rams lost to the 49ers twice in 16'. Donald was on the field for both games. I don't think he made a difference.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think MVP is slanted to the offense. Aaron Donald is an Elite player and can be disruptive during a game. But his dominance rarely put points on the board, it only prevents it. We had great defensed and poor records without an offense that could score points.

Marshall Faulk once put the game on his back and tried to win it all by himself, I think New Orleans in 2000.
An offensive QB or RB or WR can do that, just dominate and put points on the board.
A defensive player can dominate and stop the other team from scoring points.
MVP goes to an Offensive player that does just that, dominates the competition.

If the Rams had no offensive candidate for MVP, Donald absolutely is the team MVP. But that's not the case.
It's a luxury to have this debate but the scales leans to the offense, just a tad more.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Marshall Faulk once put the game on his back and tried to win it all by himself, I think New Orleans in 2000.

I'll never forget watching Faulk close out the Eagles playoff game.

In the 3rd quarter he touched the ball 9 times in an 11 play drive and got them a FG. Then in the 4th quarter he got the ball 5 times in a 6 play drive and scored the TD that put the game out of reach. He was fantastic that day on the ground, not as effective in the passing game but he made up for it by grinding down the clock and gashing the Eagles defense.

It's not very often that you lose the TO battle 2-0 and come out on top.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I'd argue that is the argument, that is the "value".

Unless I’m missing something the original question was who is better not more valuable. And I don’t think playing a more impactful/valuable position has anything to do with talent so from a pure talent aspect I find it really hard to say anyone is better than Donald atm

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Neither did Todd

Sure, but that wasn't your point. You said Todd needs help from the O-line where Donald doesn't rely on other players. By your logic, Donald's single handed performance meant more to the defense than Todd's to the offense. With that said, I don't want to argue who we think is the "Best" player. I would rather go on record as saying, and will probably be in the minority here, that paying Donald like that of a QB, in the 20-Mil per season range, will hinder the teams ability to sustain deep playoff runs in the next few seasons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sure, but that wasn't your point. You said Todd needs help from the O-line where Donald doesn't rely on other players. By your logic, Donald's single handed performance meant more to the defense than Todd's to the offense. With that said, I don't want to argue who we think is the "Best" player. I would rather go on record as saying, and will probably be in the minority here, that paying Donald like that of a QB, in the 20-Mil per season range, will hinder the teams ability to sustain deep playoff runs in the next few seasons.

Donald does more by himself and his production would be harder to replace than Gurley's. With a very good OLine teams can have good running games without a star running back. What did Adrian Peterson do for Minnesota, or Barry Sanders for Detroit? By your logic an elite running back is more valuable than a beyond elite DT. Remember what Reggie White did for Green Bay? Or how good Calais Campbell was for Jacksonville this year? What would the Ravens have been without Rey Lewis? Or the Giants without Lawrence Taylor? Aaron Donald is the best defensive player in football. He creates sacks for his teammates. He makes the entire defense better all by himself. The OLine opens holes for Gurley, not the other way around.

I don't like the contract demands and the way the pay scale is so out of balance either but the Rams would be stupid to let Donald go.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just pointing out that you have to score to win. Under Fisher, that philosphy was forgotten. Also Gurley is a very special running back, one that can catch as well as run and those running backs are drafted in the first round like Gurley, Elliott & Barkley for example.

There is no debating Donald is our best overall player, but I want Gurley in horns until he retires or until he's 30.

Your using Fisher as the example here. Not a fair argument. But, the Ravens won a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer. Defense wins championships. And teams with poor defenses don't win either.

Aaron's skills as a pass rusher improve the entire defense. When he collapses the center of the pocket the QBs timing is thrown off. He's no longer in sync with the receivers routes. The QB gets flushed into other linemen or has to run for a short gain where linebackers finish him off. Donald shortens the time corners and safeties have to cover receivers and also can cause QBs to throw sooner than they'd like or throw off balance.

I don't dislike Gurley. I'd like the Rams to keep both but if I'm choosing between the two I'd take the guy that is more difficult to replace.

I think MVP is slanted to the offense. Aaron Donald is an Elite player and can be disruptive during a game. But his dominance rarely put points on the board, it only prevents it. We had great defensed and poor records without an offense that could score points.

An offensive QB or RB or WR can do that, just dominate and put points on the board.
A defensive player can dominate and stop the other team from scoring points.
MVP goes to an Offensive player that does just that, dominates the competition.

If the Rams had no offensive candidate for MVP, Donald absolutely is the team MVP. But that's not the case.
It's a luxury to have this debate but the scales leans to the offense, just a tad more.

Receivers and QBs put points on the board. So do running backs that aren't the offensive mvp. I guess there is no need to even have a defense with this line of thinking.

Keeping points off the board is every bit as important as putting them on. I'll even argue that it is more important.
Say your offense can only score 7 points. The defense has to hold the opponent to under seven points for a whole game. Then let's say your defense can't stop anyone. Now the offense has to score on every drive just for the possibility of winning.

Washington has had good running games for years now, without a star running back....and McVay was running that offense.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The only DT's in the last 30 years that went to the HOF are Cortez Kennedy, John Randle, Warren Sapp and Randy White.

One of those played in the "passing era" that being Sapp, the rest played well before the rules became slanted towards the offense.

If Gurley were one dimensional, or limited or just really good this would be a much different debate and would be one sided. But he is as versatile as any back in the league right now and is growing into a Faulk type of role. I'm not saying he has Faulk's "football IQ" I'm saying he is playing that kind of role. He's a threat in the running and passing game and is a player that can break off big gains or take it to the end zone anytime he touches the ball.

Last year he accounted for about 140 yards per game. Plus when defenses key on him and focus on slowing him down the Rams punish them through the air.

If the Rams are going to be in the mix for the SB for the next 4-6 years they need Goff and Gurley in the backfield.

There are three games that the Rams won last year where Gurley was the difference. With a "very good" RB those may have been losses. The Cowboys game, the Titans game, and the 49ers game early in the year were all wins because of his performance/production.

That's my opinion anyway.

An elite running back can't score without a good OLine. They also need a passing game to keep defenses from loading the box. Short memory I guess, but try to recall what defenses did to the Rams when Fisher was here. They had no respect for the receivers or the QBs and focused on the run. Result? 17 points a game.

Donald improves the entire defense by himself. I explained earlier. Read my last few posts if you care to.

Barry Sanders didn't win much for Detroit, but the Ravens won a Superbowl. The Giants defense won two, against the only modern era undefeated team in the NFL.

I love having both Donald and Gurley but, Donald is the more valuable player of the two.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
We have the best Defensive and offensive player outside of a qb .

Who is more valuable? I would say AD, his position depends less on who is around him.

Todd can not succeed if the QB doesnt make plays or the line doesn't open holes, this was proven 2 seasons ago.

AD has dominated his whole career . Double teams or triple teams he still finds a way to impact the game.