IMO, Jeff Fisher Needs To Make A Bold Move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But it does require accuracy. You saw some of those issues with Arizona yesterday. They couldn't sustain drives even when they were running the ball well because eventually, the Rams defense would stop them on one play and then hold them to 3-4 yards on the next play which left them in 3rd and long.

And their QBs weren't accurate enough to deliver on third and long.

I don't happen to believe Pryor is an accurate enough passer to get the job done. JMO.

Hard to say that a QBs coming off the bench cold wouldn't have issues with players he probably hasn't practiced a lot with though. And if not for Cardinals WRs drops they would have completed more 3rd downs, IMO.

We will have to disagree on Pryor though. I believe that he is accurate enough for this offense. Would I put him in Schottenhiemer's offense? No. But, this one? All day long.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to say that a QBs coming off the bench cold wouldn't have issues with players he probably hasn't practiced a lot with though. And if not for Cardinals WRs drops they would have completed more 3rd downs, IMO.

We will have to disagree on Pryor though. I believe that he is accurate enough for this offense. Would I put him in Schottenhiemer's offense? No. But, this one? All day long.

Stanton even was having issues.

We will have to because I've never seen any indication from Pryor that he can be consistently accurate. So if teams put us in 3rd and long, I'd be worried. He'd essentially have to rely on his legs to convert. And maybe he could convert some.

Hopefully Marshall or Sims would win the job because they show more consistent accuracy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Stanton even was having issues.

We will have to because I've never seen any indication from Pryor that he can be consistently accurate. So if teams put us in 3rd and long, I'd be worried. He'd essentially have to rely on his legs to convert. And maybe he could convert some.

Hopefully Marshall or Sims would win the job because they show more consistent accuracy.

IMO, I believe that we probably have a huge difference of opinion in the number of consistently accurate passers in the NFL because I don't believe that there are many at all. Yet, NFL teams are still having success on offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, I believe that we probably have a huge difference of opinion in the number of consistently accurate passers in the NFL because I don't believe that there are many at all. Yet, NFL teams are still having success on offense.

When I say consistently accurate...I mean solid starting QB level consistent. Not Rodgers level consistent. There are probably 20 or so of those right now.

Memphis Ram

Legend
When I say consistently accurate...I mean solid starting QB level consistent. Not Rodgers level consistent. There are probably 20 or so of those right now.

I don't know how to quantify what a solid starting QB level consistent is, so let me ask you a question.

Were Donovan McNabb or Michael Vick starting level consistent accurate passers?

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know how to quantify what a solid starting QB level consistent is, so let me ask you a question.

Were Donovan McNabb or Michael Vick starting level consistent accurate passers?

McNabb, yes. Vick, no(well...maybe for a very short period of time in Philly).

Memphis Ram

Legend
McNabb, yes. Vick, no(well...maybe for a very short period of time in Philly).

I'd say that both weren't very accurate passers in the NFL. And I hate to admit it, but another player who wasn't very accurate early in his career was the late Steve McNair. And he went to the Super Bowl with Jeff Fisher.

But, even if we focused on Vick, his 2010 Eagles scored 439 points (3rd in the NFL). His 2002 Falcons scored 402 points (5th in the NFL). His 2004 Falcons didn't score as many but finished 11-5 and were in the NFC Championship Game as he ran for 902 yards that season.

Anything is possible, but I question if it was his accuracy that turned on and off throughout his career.
Then again, I guess anything is possible given his lack of work ethic at his craft and/or possible injury, though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd say that both weren't very accurate passers in the NFL. And I hate to admit it, but another player who wasn't very accurate early in his career was the late Steve McNair. And he went to the Super Bowl with Jeff Fisher.

But, even if we focused on Vick, his 2010 Eagles scored 439 points (3rd in the NFL). His 2002 Falcons scored 402 points (5th in the NFL). His 2004 Falcons didn't score as many but finished 11-5 and were in the NFC Championship Game as he ran for 902 yards that season.

Anything is possible, but I question if it was his accuracy that turned on and off throughout his career.
Then again, I guess anything is possible given his lack of work ethic at his craft and/or possible injury, though.

Very accurate? No. But they were accurate enough. I don't believe Pryor is. Plus, I don't believe Pryor processes things quickly enough or sees the field well enough. He's always been a guy who relies on backyard football with his legs.

Philly5

Rookie
Trying a college offense in the pros sure would be bold. In addition to the coaching changes, how many of our existing players wouldn't fit the scheme? Bill Veeck would love the outside the box thinking.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Any offense that relies a large part on the QB running the football I'm against.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Very accurate? No. But they were accurate enough. I don't believe Pryor is. Plus, I don't believe Pryor processes things quickly enough or sees the field well enough. He's always been a guy who relies on backyard football with his legs.

I disagree, but OK. But, the same thing were and have been said about McNabb and Vick and they had success in league. Just a matter of the right coaching staff playing a guy to his strengths.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Trying a college offense in the pros sure would be bold. In addition to the coaching changes, how many of our existing players wouldn't fit the scheme? Bill Veeck would love the outside the box thinking.

All of them. Except Bradford due to his fragility.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you really want to make a bold move, you trade up for Mariota and pair him with Scott Frost.

But I'm not sure Fisher would even contemplate that since it's not really his style.

Yes please!

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yeah, but visions of Jake Long, Scott Wells, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, Dwayne "Road Grader" White and on and on and on circling the rare Adam Timmerman come to mind.

Sorry, but I'm of the belief that there are no franchise QBs in this draft worth trading up to obtain period. Mariota, while talented, is just the next big name in this year's draft class, IMO.

:cheers:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I believe that the offense is near Fisher's philosophy because it provides him what he wanted to have in the first place. A run game. And IMO, this is a power run, ball control offense. It's just run out of many spread looks and requires the QB to participate in the running game. Perhaps his best teams even had Steve McNair making plays with his feet.

And I believe that the Rams current personnel could pull off this offense (Auburn adjusts to the personnel on hand anyway) with the same three changes the team needs to make anyway no matter what they do next year.

New Center
New Guard
New Quarterback(s)
Obviously I think there is now way Fisher and Snead don't upgrade those 3 but if they do I could hear your point

Ace right

UDFA
Bold move or stupid move is like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some here would say sticking with SB is stupid after two knees. but if Fish washes his hands of him and picks up a released a healthier Cutler I think more would say that would be bold. If he trades up for Mariota than I would think he and Snead are fearing for their jobs. I don't think they are going to panic, They have a plan and I think for good or bad SB has always been a major part of it. I think they renegotiate SB rebuild the interior O line through Free Agency and the draft (their is usually value in the mid rounds) and pick up a Hundley or someone else at QB in the second or third to develop to start long term and backup short term. Their first pick could be a Tackle or a QB if he is the QB they have targeted. To costly to trade half our draft and future away for a college QB. I think with a draft this year like one we had last year we will break out big time. other lesser needs LB,S,WR,CB

wrstdude

Rookie
Let me preface by saying that I LOVE Auburn's offense. What Malzahn has built down there is amazing, especially in the SEC where spread offenses and the like are regarded as heresy (See: reaction to Mizzou joining SEC a few years ago).

That being said, Marshall is almost never under center. That, does not, and can not work in the NFL. Time after time NFL teams hire hot shot college coordinators to install their "system", and time and time again they inevitably end up coaching in college again in a few years. Even Chip Kelly, who is the most sophisticated and innovative play caller in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball, had to adopt more traditional packages that could combat NFL defenses, which even at their most simple are some of the most complex things in all of sports.

If he could bring a hybrid type system that incorporated all of the good things about his offense (tempo, confusing looks, easy QB reads, emphasizes the run), and find a way to adapt it to an NFL scheme, I would take it in a second. Of course, if he could successfully do that, he would be the most innovative offensive mind since Don Coryell.

You might be surprised how little NFL teams are under center.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/03/qbs-in-focus-shotgun/