IMO, Jeff Fisher Needs To Make A Bold Move

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still think it's the players. Learning and executing. It really doesn't matter what you do if you don't do it well. I'm am against starting all over again. Beef up that oline.

I don't believe that the learning curve would be all that difficult because while it seems complex, there really is a simplicity to the offense. And that's were I believe NFL teams have missed it. If some of the best defenses ever can be formed by having quality talent and keeping things simple (Sapps Bucs, Seahawks, etc), why couldn't offenses do the same? This offense keeps things more simple for offensive players and allows them to play hard and fast while the defense has to think and figure out what they are doing.

Anyway, Rhett Lashlee even taught his starting QB and junior college transfer Nick Marshall the offense in 2013 without the benefit of spring practices last year. And he was a CB at the University of Georgia in 2011.

And the Rams have the extra added benefit of having Robinson and Mason already on the roster who know the offense and can draft more Auburn players this off-season who do, too.

Last edited:

Irish

Starter

Let me preface by saying that I LOVE Auburn's offense. What Malzahn has built down there is amazing, especially in the SEC where spread offenses and the like are regarded as heresy (See: reaction to Mizzou joining SEC a few years ago).

That being said, Marshall is almost never under center. That, does not, and can not work in the NFL. Time after time NFL teams hire hot shot college coordinators to install their "system", and time and time again they inevitably end up coaching in college again in a few years. Even Chip Kelly, who is the most sophisticated and innovative play caller in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball, had to adopt more traditional packages that could combat NFL defenses, which even at their most simple are some of the most complex things in all of sports.

If he could bring a hybrid type system that incorporated all of the good things about his offense (tempo, confusing looks, easy QB reads, emphasizes the run), and find a way to adapt it to an NFL scheme, I would take it in a second. Of course, if he could successfully do that, he would be the most innovative offensive mind since Don Coryell.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Let me preface by saying that I LOVE Auburn's offense. What Malzahn has built down there is amazing, especially in the SEC where spread offenses and the like are regarded as heresy (See: reaction to Mizzou joining SEC a few years ago).

That being said, Marshall is almost never under center. That, does not, and can not work in the NFL. Time after time NFL teams hire hot shot college coordinators to install their "system", and time and time again they inevitably end up coaching in college again in a few years. Even Chip Kelly, who is the most sophisticated and innovative play caller in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball, had to adopt more traditional packages that could combat NFL defenses, which even at their most simple are some of the most complex things in all of sports.

If he could bring a hybrid type system that incorporated all of the good things about his offense (tempo, confusing looks, easy QB reads, emphasizes the run), and find a way to adapt it to an NFL scheme, I would take it in a second. Of course, if he could successfully do that, he would be the most innovative offensive mind since Don Coryell.

Great response, however here is my question.....Why not?

NFL traditional packages say that the QB has to play under center, but this isn't a traditional NFL offense. Not only that, but teams are ALREADY using some of these plays in the NFL (with the QB not under center) and having success. Most notably Seattle. BTW, I haven't watched lately, but how often does Tom Brady take snaps from center nowadays?

Anyway, IMO, the difference between most of the other so-called hot shot college coordinators and Malzahn's offense is that their offenses are still geared towards the passing game. And this can be more difficult, to almost impossible, in the NFL if you don't have THAT GUY as your traditional drop back passer at QB. And that's no different than offenses with current NFL Coordinators.

On the other hand, Malzahn's offense, while some say it involves a lot of smoke and mirrors, is geared towards old fashion running the football which can be done minus those hard to find quality drop back passers. Here you can have success by building a strong run blocking Oline, obtaining good sized WRs willing to block, and have a QB capable of making plays with his feet. And those a guys are far easier to find. Again, their current QB played CB two years ago.

And IMO, what you lose in the passing game via your traditional pocket passer, you make up with via the feet of that QB on designed runs, zone reads, or even broken plays ala Russell Wilson.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Many will disagree and point out that all this offense needs is a healthy Sam Bradford or another good option at QB along with a couple of OLinemen for this team to take the next step. That may be true, but I’m really not so sure. IMO, I believe that Jeff Fisher needs to make a BOLD MOVE in this division to get this team over the hump.

As I recall, Fisher came to St. Louis with plans of building a strong rushing attack and defense as they compliment each other tremendously. Well the defense has finally arrived, but the rushing attack still hasn’t shown up yet. And it’s not just about personnel, IMO. I believe that this team has fallen into the trap of focusing their creativity, time, & finances on the passing game while not spending nearly enough on the running game. And this while a strong rushing attack opens up the passing game even more and is usually necessary for successful playoff football.

With this in mind, I believe that Fisher/Snead should go back to their Auburn connection. They should go after Auburn’s current Offensive Coordinator, Rhett Lashlee, to be this teams new Offensive Coordinator and the Rams should run a version of the Auburn Offense in the NFL. (And before you say it, many scoffed at the effect Chip Kelly would have in the NFL and he now enjoys a top 5 scoring offense with QBs this organization and it’s fans would be calling for their heads if they where here).

For those unfamiliar with the Auburn offense, the core of it is basically a hurry up, no-huddle, power running game, based upon the Delaware Wing-T. It uses mis-direction and it‘s run out of spread formations designed to pressure the defense across the field, per it’s architect, Gus Malzahn. Contrary to what may be popular thought, this is not Georgia Tech’s wishbone and they do throw the football. (In fact, Auburn probably takes more deep shots down at least than the Rams).

This offense features some plays where the QB has 2-4 different options (including passing) to counter whatever the defense does, thus making it more difficult to stop. On top of that, this allows (along with its various formations, personnel packages, and misdirection), the team to focus upon and basically run mostly 5-6 core plays great success shortening the learning curve and allowing for these athletes to just play football. In fact, I believe this is something both Tre Mason and Greg Robinson expressed (in comparison to Schotty's offense), when they got to St. Louis.

Anyway, Lashlee is a young up and comer who has been with Auburn’s Gus Malzahn at several stops (high school - college) and according to his current fellow coaches, knows the Auburn offense inside and out. In fact, the OLine & WR coaches say that he taught them the offense.

http://archive.montgomeryadvertiser...n-assistants-speak-highly-of-OC-Rhett-Lashlee

Step One for this team to take the next step.

1) Replace Brian Schottenhiemer with OC Rhett Lashlee

(potential personnel moves to follow)

I would like to see a bold move too. I am not sure what it is. But maybe if Mahlzans system would simplify the offense and take away the need for an elite NFL QB it would be worth a shot. Even if Sam is healthy for a full season he has never proven to be elite. I am sure he could be very good.

The Rams decision not to address the QB position in last years draft is looking like a huge misstep in hindsight. They could have taken Bortles, or Bridgewater or Carr. I know the need for a Left. tackle of the future was huge but maybe every team needs to adopt Green Bays philosophy when they took Rogers. You never pass on what you think may be a franchise QB, even if you already have one. How much better would we all feel with Bortles waiting in the wings?

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
The o-line needs to be fixed or it won't matter who is back there at QB they will get pummeled.So I say pry free agent M. Lupati away from SF, get another lineman in the draft 2nd maybe 3rd round no projects.Then the line will be ready to protect Bradford or whoever is back there playing Qb.Not only will this help us it would weaken a division rival and Lupati is only 27 and in his prime.And I would like to see B.Jones finally get on the field and show why he earned all those awards at Bama.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
To the OP: Agree or not, I like that you've offered constructive ideas for change and improvement and not just a bunch of pissing in griping. It's the easiest thing in the world to say so-and-so sucks. If you don't like it then give us a constructive alternative.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the OP's idea is fine.

Some folks might knock Mahlzan and whether his "scheme" would translate to the NFL, but what is important about him is that he attacks defenses with scheme. He knows how to run the same plays with different fronts, spreading the defense, and actually dictating to the defense to get predictable matchups he has foreseen and then doing something with them. His players are well coached and it shows by smart play, good execution of scheme, etc.

And yes we wouldn't need to do anything we don't already need to do in terms of personnel. Absolutely agreed that a bold move is needed. The Schotty experiment has to end, IMO. If Fish keeps him around the offense is gonna suck again, or at the least be easily shut down by the better DCs and defenses in this league.

I'm confident Fish will do what he has to do though. He has to know by now that he's being outgunned by opposing DCs by now. There's only one way to fix that.

Athos

Legend
I agree that the weakness on our line is Scott Wells and Davin Joseph, there really is no excusing that. But, what team besides the Cowboys has probowl talent at every Oline position?

Don't even need pro-bowl interior.

Wells and Joseph are so bad they aren't even mediocre.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still am not sure about this. You still need a guy to throw the ball well enough that teams can't key in on the running game.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would absolutely NOT replace Schotty. May seem like an odd thing to say from a Schotty critic but we saw THIS season once again the effect of a new scheme on a team.

Schotty is what he is but, IMHO, he's good enough to go post season next season and, for me, they CAN'T break next season with a big move. Everything is in place. Bradford knows this scheme. Hill and Davis know this scheme. Shore up the o-line with everything you can get and let's roll!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I still am not sure about this. You still need a guy to throw the ball well enough that teams can't key in on the running game.

Agreed. And I believe that the players I listed fit the bill.

This offense doesn't require a pocket passer with pin point accuracy.

Memphis Ram

Legend

If is head is on straight, this 6' 4 1/2" 235 lbs. passer who can also run a 4.45/40 would be a perfect fit in this offense, IMO. And the Rams could have him right now for a SONG. He should be on the top of the list of one of those futures contract, IMO. Hey. Nobody wanted Kurt Warner early in his career either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Good post @Memphis Ram
I learned something about college football today.
It is a BOLD move and unlikely to happen, but depending on how things shake out with Bradford and the offensive performance these last two weeks, year three of Shotty ball will be in the books and Fisher just may see an opportunity to shake it up a little. I don't think he's under any real pressure yet, but IMO he'll start to feel it if we're still fielding a top 5 defense, poor offense, 7 win team again a year from now.

Then there's the Auburn connection. Interesting. I'm not happy with the lack of smash mouth identity we're seeing right now. I'm open to ideas.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'd hope the Rams wouldn't make that mistake. There is no Andrew Luck in this draft class, thus there isn't a QB worthy of the Rams trading the farm to obtain.

I think the only trading of the farm would be if the Rams were the tradee, not the trader...Of course as many have said, the RG III trade (AKA Ditka part deux) is not likely to happen again in our lifetime...(At least mine, I'm Methusala-type old...)..And the Rams obviously won't have a pick that would draw huge interest...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But it does require accuracy. You saw some of those issues with Arizona yesterday. They couldn't sustain drives even when they were running the ball well because eventually, the Rams defense would stop them on one play and then hold them to 3-4 yards on the next play which left them in 3rd and long.

And their QBs weren't accurate enough to deliver on third and long.

I don't happen to believe Pryor is an accurate enough passer to get the job done. JMO.