If there is one lesson I hope McVay learned vs. the 49ers...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I don't mind passing in that situation. The 9ers D is tough to run on. I just think you should line up showing run and fake a run since you just had a good run. At least it makes the D think for a second. To telegraph the fact you are not running so they can just pin their ears back on the line and faking a block by our receivers then running a route is not an option, is not showing much in the way of situational awareness. It's fucking stupid and has bit us in the ass all year. Do we really self scout?

Yeah, play action on 3rd and 1 might have been a good idea, rather than putting up a big neon sign that says "WE'RE NOT RUNNING THE BALL THIS PLAY!!!"

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yeah and taking a sack that stopped the clock and gave up another nine-ten yards. That's how you lose a close game!

dang

Legend
The Rams are who we thought they were. A good team who at times are amazing on offense and effective on defense. But they have flaws that will not be fixed this season but we sure hope they get some off season attention. Tackling is horrendous. ILB is well below average. Physicality in the interior OL is subpar. DB talent is thin. I like or love everything else. Make some noise in the playoffs and get ready to remedy the few deficiencies we have in the off-season. This is a very talented roster. Go Rams!!!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure. I have heard a lot (e.g., on the 11 Personnel Podcast) that they really love the analytics in the Rams building. And while I definitely think it has merit, you also have to have a feel for the game and sometimes just go with gut instinct.
Analytics are not going to tell you to call an empty backfield pass on third and one foot, or to run the ball on third and 7.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Analytics are not going to tell you to call an empty backfield pass on third and one foot, or to run the ball on third and 7.

It certainly would not on the 3rd and a foot play, which begs the "WTF were you thinking with that playcall?" question.

Given the situation on the 3rd and 7 play and the high probability of winning since the 9ers had to go the length of the field with no timeouts, analytics might have called for it there. That being said, I wouldn't have objected to trying a play action pass or some sort of rollout at that point of the game, because a first down would have sealed it.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay played scared in the second half.

Rams are going no where with the next game.

I hate to say it. But McVay is too easy to figure out and too stubborn to adapt and change on the fly.
Sean has these weird wrinkles to his personality, where he defends not trying to get 6 yards on a quick throw to get a first down…worried his QB can’t throw a 6 yard slant…and then will empty his back field on 3rd and one to gamble on a throw…or throw a 25 yard dig route on a 3rd and 3..,,we all have these anomalies to our risk reward behaviors, but unfortunately for Sean, his gets put on full display.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This was not a loss like the Cards loss, the Titans loss or the first 9ers loss. Not all losses are equal.

You're absolutely correct. This game was much worse than any of those...

Love the defensiveness in Rams fans after that game.... too bad there wasn't more of that sentiment inside Sofi on Sunday.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That 3rd and 1 was painful. Especially because we got there by running it twice. So hand it to 25 and shove it up the 9ers asses.

Line was rolling. I don't like to play the second guessing game on play calls but that one was a bad call.

I don't think one fan saw the empty set and thought, "goody, this is gonna be a great play".

I was thinking when was Sony gonna come back and set behind Stafford. Then the ball snapped and in a millisecond it was nooooooooooooooo!!!!!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Like a division title? Sheesht.
Did you see the stats first then watch the game later?

I'm just curious how someone feels so fine about it.
It's not like we won the division this week. We lost the 2-seed, McVays halftime record, home field advantage and 6 in a row to our most hated rival. And a 17 point lead.

The only way it wasn't humiliating is if you didn't watch it and just reacted to the box score

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Did you see the stats first then watch the game later?

I'm just curious how someone feels so fine about it.
It's not like we won the division this week. We lost the 2-seed, McVays halftime record, home field advantage and 6 in a row to our most hated rival. And a 17 point lead.

The only way it wasn't humiliating is if you didn't watch it and just reacted to the box score

I watched the game don't worry about that.

If we had had this game 3 weeks ago and finished with the 3 games before this one, how would people feel then? Recency bias and gross overreaction is clouding the judgement of a lot of folks.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
I watched that 43 yard pass to Samuel over and over in slo-mo a couple of times. Jalen realized his mistake and took off in a dead sprint and laid out in full extension and barely missed tipping that pass away.Not sure what he started out doing in coverage but I figured he was probably trying to jump a short route and get a pick 6 and be the hero.
I think he got peeking/playing the run.....but may be wrong.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Yeah, that's a problem with Ramsey. He tries to play defense for everyone and misses his responsibility sometimes.
Wouldn't be a problem if the line/linebacker would do their jobs and stop the run.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
McVay is predictable in those situations. He always runs three times and punts. He relies on his defense. He's done it all year late in games. So SFs defense expected and shut down those runs. A screen pass, maybe an end around? Anything but three consecutive handoffs. They get that first down and they win. McVay needs to admit he let the door open. Either that or he needs to realize that he can't blame people for badexecution. Its a game with lots of emotions. People are not robots and its not like every team does not have some weaknesses that can and will be exploited.

Can you imagine the reaction if they tried an end around and they failed? They did the right thing, trying to make them burn their TOs. Eliminate all risk. Short of a fumble (which Sony isn't known for) that should've been it.

If something works "smart". If something doesn't "too cute or "predictable". It's a huge double standard all in hindsight.

What if Sony got a 1st down on one of those runs? This wouldn't even be a topic.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can you imagine the reaction if they tried an end around and they failed? They did the right thing, trying to make them burn their TOs. Eliminate all risk. Short of a fumble (which Sony isn't known for) that should've been it.

If something works "smart". If something doesn't "too cute or "predictable". It's a huge double standard all in hindsight.

What if Sony got a 1st down on one of those runs? This wouldn't even be a topic.
Three runs with Michel has gotten to be so predictable. It was a one score lead. Burning time outs is good yes. But getting a first down was just as important. They have a depleted secondary. No Rochelle, no Fuller. Playing guys like Long and Deayon against a time that has a running attack that the Rams struggle against and give good pass catching options. Thinking that the defense was going to stop that was a risky bet.

Apparently McVay agreed afterwards. Two score lead? It’s a good strategy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I guarantee he'd call a play action pass if he had a do-over. Live and learn.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I hate to say it, the problem with the Rams is they can't handle a physical game. They can't handle being bullied. The 49ers took it to them. Didn't get cute with anything. They just went out and beat that guy in front them. Using brute force.

I used to play basketball in the driveway with my son and his friends when they were around 14-15 years old. I would just take outside shots the whole time. Until they got older and better and more athletic than me. When that happened I reverted to going inside and muscling them. They couldn't stop it because I was stronger than them. That is what happened in the second half. The 49ers muscled them and they wilted.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The defense can be trusted, its the coward Morris that can't be trusted. I hope mcvay tells him that that's the last time we are play that ultra soft prevent bullshit again.

I don't like Belicheater but he would have had Deebo Samuel double or triple teamed on that final drive with 90 seconds left.