Huge test today for Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram77

Rookie
He's nothing like Brady. Tom Brady was so quick with his decision making, and knowing where the ball needed to go, that he can make any o line competent. It was Brady making their o line look good, not the other way around. You've seen how many random guys the Patriots have had on their o line. They never have to spend big money on it because they got the GOAT at QB.

So you either need a fast decision maker at QB to make the o line look better, or you need an athlete at QB that can escape the rush. We have neither.

Country Club QB, is more a term of basically saying Goff needs optimal conditions (great protection, great weapons, great everything around him) in order to look good. Now, you can win with those types of QBs. But you can't when that type of QB is paid like the top one in the league.
Without the threat of the run Goff is not a good QB. Thats not saying hes bad. But he cant drop back and pass 40 times a game against good defenses. McVay should know that by now. Brady needed hand holding too up until his 5th year. Brady was primarily a “game manager” and relied heavily on his defense and running game early on. Goff was great at those same things in 17/18. He’s just not ready to be Dan Marino yet.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I wish we had Josh Jacobs the Raiders RB. That 1st we gave up for Cooks plus maybe a 3rd and we could have moved up and drafted him. He makes his Oline look better. Hes young, fast, powerful and healthy. Henderson doesnt look like a workhorse back. And Gurley is not Gurley anymore. Brown is a good stop gap and nothing more. Look what Dalvin Cook brings to the Vikings. He makes Kirk Cousins and that passing game look way better when teams fear the run. Dont tell me the Vikings Oline is way better than ours. We need the threat of a running game that will wear down defenses.
Makes u miss young Gurley doesnt it? Nothing is better than having that great rb on your team . After seeing how fast Gurley depreciated, if I'm a l gm I am taking a rb every couple years . Just doesn't make sense to resign these guys

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I agree with most of that but I dont think Brady makes the line, that team looked fine with brissett, garapolo and whoever's else . I think the Pat's offense opens up those quick passes while our offense takes forever for guys to open up.

I blame mcvay more than goff. Coaches need to adjust and he seems to be stuck in his ways
I was saying this in another thread. Seems like besides the quick out of the backfield dumps all of our pass plays are in the 15-20+ range. Why so little slants and underneath quick stuff? Those longer plays with our O-line are a recipe for disaster.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I was saying this in another thread. Seems like besides the quick out of the backfield dumps all of our pass plays are in the 15-20+ range. Why so little slants and underneath quick stuff? Those longer plays with our O-line are a recipe for disaster.
Totally agree, I honestly was expecting that after the bye . Unexplainable to not draw up a play and get kupp a few catches against 50 year old joe Haden.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Will pose the same question on this forum

If Matthew McCaughaney didn't extend Goff before this season, would you extend him this spring after seeing his 2019 season?

I would have not. I'd let him play out his 5th year option. Why I HATED the extension.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

If Matthew McCaughaney didn't extend Goff before this season, would you extend him this spring after seeing his 2019 season?

I would have not. I'd let him play out his 5th year option. Why I HATED the extension.
Everything is easier in hindsight.

If people would have known Kurt Warner was going to turn the Cardinals into a Super Bowl contender, would they have been so anxious to run him out of town?

Fix the OL, then we can evaluate Goff properly.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
Everything is easier in hindsight.

If people would have known Kurt Warner was going to turn the Cardinals into a Super Bowl contender, would they have been so anxious to run him out of town?

Fix the OL, then we can evaluate Goff properly.

Everything is easier in hindsight, but no one was putting a gun to their head on the Goff extension. Is dak extended yet? Having options and getting another year of assessment doesn't hurt. Rams saved a little money doing the deal early, seems like bad decision.

OskiEsq

UDFA
Agree. I don't understand the play calling at all -- or is Goff looking for the big play (and for the record, I"m pro-Goff/Goff apologist)? Goff rarely held onto the ball in college and was very proficient in no huddle, fast, 2 minute offenses. Not that we should do this, but there is no reason Goff can't command a fast pace offense to offset the poor OL play. I'm so baffled by the playcalling.

Ellard80

Legend

During the 49ners game they were talking about how the rams have attempted the fewest 20+ passes in the league.

We don't throw many long passes because we know our o-line can't hold up.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi

That's easy to say, but what would you do after? Yes jared has struggled but hes still a top 10-15qb in the leauge .

Most of us know the problem is the linemen and the play calling more than it is jared . We know his skill set and honestly it's good enough to win in this league .

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Everything is easier in hindsight, but no one was putting a gun to their head on the Goff extension. Is dak extended yet? Having options and getting another year of assessment doesn't hurt. Rams saved a little money doing the deal early, seems like bad decision.
If they hadn’t extended him and he would have continued his trajectory from the prior two seasons, he would have cost a lot more and made the cap dynamics more difficult. Then everyone would be saying we should have extended him early.

Every extension carries a risk. So does waiting.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't have a problem with the extension. Quarterbacks get paid in the NFL. That is just the way it is. We coulda moved on from him but there is no guarantee we would have found capable replacement. And changing QB's every year usually means you don't have your franchise guy.

For better or worse Goff is our quarterback. We have no choice but to stick with him. We could try and find a journeyman vet and sit our 100 million dollar guy. How often does that work out? Or we could use our day 3 picks to find a rookie to take his place. Again, how often does that work out?

Snead has to find a way to improve the personnel on the line and McVay has to find a way to adapt to what defenses are throwing at them. And yes. Goff has to get better at reading defenses and quicken his release. Those are our only options in my opinion. We will see in a few years if the decision to stick with Goff was the right one. Right now, no one knows.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Makes u miss young Gurley doesnt it? Nothing is better than having that great rb on your team . After seeing how fast Gurley depreciated, if I'm a l gm I am taking a rb every couple years . Just doesn't make sense to resign these guys

Adi,
Good observation. I agree totally.

~ArkyRamsFan~

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe you should ask why you’re seeing what you’re seeing.

It’s a team sport, and when a critical component like OL breaks down, so does the rest of the offense. And when the playcalling veers away from what the team is doing well to what’s not working, it exacerbates the situation.

I can guarantee you there's not a talking head out there that can do that. Or willing to do that. They just blurt out what the producer feeds them.

It seems there's quite a few people here in the same boat.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
During the 49ners game they were talking about how the rams have attempted the fewest 20+ passes in the league.

We don't throw many long passes because we know our o-line can't hold up.
Yeah, I remember them saying that and was kind of surprised. That's why I said 15-20+, I should have said 10-20. What we don't see though are a lot of slants. With the state of the O-line quick passes seem to be called for a bit more.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I can guarantee you there's not a talking head out there that can do that. Or willing to do that. They just blurt out what the producer feeds them.

It seems there's quite a few people here in the same boat.

It's a lot easier to scapegoat one guy than to look at the big picture and analyze all the moving parts that go into a successful team.

I can't remember the name of the poster (he's gone now) but he hated Goff from the moment we drafted him and would never give him credit for anything (but perversely, LOVED Brian Quick and made every excuse in the book for him). It's like half the posters on this board are that guy now.

Capitaino

UDFA

Agree completely. There was no need to give him that deal. Not only could he have played out his 5th year option, but the Rams could tag him for a 6th year if they wanted. The reason the Rams were able to build up the rest of their roster was they had the QB on a cheap deal. When you give Goff that extension and fail to even try to draft anyone else, you give up that advantage. We've seen all around the league when the QB gets big money, the rest of the team gets worse due to the cap. So unless you have a true superstar at QB, you hold out as long as possible before making that commitment, and you for sure keep drafting QBs every year to see if you can find a guy to make the engine go on a rookie deal.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Agree completely. There was no need to give him that deal. Not only could he have played out his 5th year option, but the Rams could tag him for a 6th year if they wanted. The reason the Rams were able to build up the rest of their roster was they had the QB on a cheap deal. When you give Goff that extension and fail to even try to draft anyone else, you give up that advantage. We've seen all around the league when the QB gets big money, the rest of the team gets worse due to the cap. So unless you have a true superstar at QB, you hold out as long as possible before making that commitment, and you for sure keep drafting QBs every year to see if you can find a guy to make the engine go on a rookie deal.

11 fun posts from this poster!