Huge test today for Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
But that was his 4th year, just as this is Goff's 4th year. Going by the script you and many others want to go with, Manning would have been dumped by the Colts after his 4th year. We have hindsight now to know how stupid that would have been, so maybe you guys should learn something from that bit of history.

We're not dumping Jared. We're committed. He's our QB for years to come, for better or worse.

What I'm saying is the level he's playing at now and has been for a while is not good enough. 16 INTs, 16 fumbles and a 79 passer rating in his last 16 games. Not good enough.

Frankly my concern is the QB we saw today is always going to be lurking under the surface.

You can blame the circumstances around him but the Rams were within one score of the Steelers all day. We needed one TD. One TD drive. This was a game in which a "franchise" QB needed to make the difference, especially when the other team is missing their franchise QB.

That's not unreasonable to ask.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We're not dumping Jared. We're committed. He's our QB for years to come, for better or worse.

What I'm saying is the level he's playing at now and has been for a while is not good enough. 16 INTs, 16 fumbles and a 79 passer rating in his last 16 games. Not good enough.

Frankly my concern is the QB we saw today is always going to be lurking under the surface.

You can blame the circumstances around him but the Rams were within one score of the Steelers all day. We needed one TD. One TD drive. This was a game in which a "franchise" QB needed to make the difference, especially when the other team is missing their franchise QB.

That's not unreasonable to ask.

You know what’s also not unreasonable to ask? For the head coach to not fucking abandon the running game when it’s working and it’s a one score game and run blocking is the only thing your OL does right because they suck at pass protection.

Yeah, let’s just blame the QB though ....

tempests

Hall of Fame
You know what’s also not unreasonable to ask? For the head coach to not fucking abandon the running game when it’s working and it’s a one score game and run blocking is the only thing your OL does right because they suck at pass protection.

Yeah, let’s just blame the QB though ....

Well, if you're comfortable with what you're seeing from Jared.......

I'm not.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well, if you're comfortable with what you're seeing from Jared.......

I'm not.
Maybe you should ask why you’re seeing what you’re seeing.

It’s a team sport, and when a critical component like OL breaks down, so does the rest of the offense. And when the playcalling veers away from what the team is doing well to what’s not working, it exacerbates the situation.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I actually watched that whole game for fantasy reasons. He was not good. Pick 6 in the redzone returned for a TD. A fumble recovered by the D. Multiple sacks. He had less than 200 yards. If you actually watch the game he was bad.

Goff in comparison was actually much more mobile (in the pocket) and delivered better passes.

View: https://youtu.be/Gq6gRbUHmH4?t=422

View: https://youtu.be/dnfGEDHB7Uk?t=261

Now, now @matt30 don't go ruining a perfectly good narrative with facts.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Goff now has a QBR/RTR of 39.4/82.7

Those are brutal, "bottom of the barrel" numbers for a starting QB in the NFL.

I fully agree that the playcalling/formations deserves plenty of blame. (I read that Gurley had zero touches in the 4qt of the Steeler game.....unbelievable unless he was hurt and given Goff's poor play the previous 3 qts)

No more creampuffs on the schedule, either.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can I get extra credit somehow? ~Jared

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He has struggled but I'm so over these guys comparing qbs . In my lifetime there have been maybe 10 special qbs.

Jared is young, and hes more talented than most guys in the leauge . But hes not mahomes, wilson or Jackson. He cant make plays outside of the pocket and hes not good at improvising.

He reminds me of a young brady, but bradys team always had fenominal o line play, we do not. I'll go ahead and say it sean mcvay is great coach but hes not josh mcdaniels and the Pats.

I love jared but I think he has alot to work on. He seems like a robot, he can only do what hes programmed. He can not extend plays and make athletic moves.

That said , he will be here for a while and I have no choice but to support him. Go rams !

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Guys everyone on the team should shoulder some of the blame. For instance Wade and D for giving up 17 points to a mediocre Steelers offense. Im not sold on Hill being a starting caliber corner but that's just my opinion. (I know this is being very critical and I'm pleased with this defense but I'm just making a point)

Refs suck, Greg missed a kick (56 yarder so understandable) and the OL is absolutely terrible. Goff didn't have much to work with but he needs to improvise. Same or more so with Mcvay. Hes doing Goff no favors and is going to get him hurt. I'm convinced that if he could find a way to not run the ball at all he would.

TG is still a mystery to me. It's obvious something is up and at this point I wish they would just quit insulting our intelligence as fans and just come right out and say what's going on.

Shit rolls down hill. Goff looks like shit because the OL is performing like shit because Mcvay and Kromer are stubborn and the front office dug us into a hole with this win now mindset. We made our bed now we have to lay in it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Guys everyone on the team should shoulder some of the blame. For instance Wade and D for giving up 17 points to a mediocre Steelers offense.

Wade’s D only gave up 10 points, and that was with the Steelers getting multiple huge assists from the refs. The other TD was the “fumble” that wasn’t, but the refs decided to give it to them anyway. So one could argue that the refs accounted for 14 Steeler points yesterday.

To me, it’s the OL and McVay’s playcalling and lack of Gurley usage that are mostly responsible for this loss.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Wade’s D only gave up 10 points, and that was with the Steelers getting multiple huge assists from the refs. The other TD was the “fumble” that wasn’t, but the refs decided to give it to them anyway. So one could argue that the refs accounted for 14 Steeler points yesterday.

To me, it’s the OL and McVay’s playcalling and lack of Gurley usage that are mostly responsible for this loss.
Could've held them to 0 and we would've won but they didn't. But seriously I understand what you're saying my point was everyone should share the blame because they lost as a team. But I totally agree with you that the OL is the elephant in the locker room.

Capitaino

UDFA
He reminds me of a young brady, but bradys team always had fenominal o line play, we do not.

He's nothing like Brady. Tom Brady was so quick with his decision making, and knowing where the ball needed to go, that he can make any o line competent. It was Brady making their o line look good, not the other way around. You've seen how many random guys the Patriots have had on their o line. They never have to spend big money on it because they got the GOAT at QB.

So you either need a fast decision maker at QB to make the o line look better, or you need an athlete at QB that can escape the rush. We have neither.

Country Club QB, is more a term of basically saying Goff needs optimal conditions (great protection, great weapons, great everything around him) in order to look good. Now, you can win with those types of QBs. But you can't when that type of QB is paid like the top one in the league.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Could've held them to 0 and we would've won but they didn't. But seriously I understand what you're saying my point was everyone should share the blame because they lost as a team. But I totally agree with you that the OL is the elephant in the locker room.

Fair enough but some parts of the team deserve more blame than others. The D itself hasn’t given up more than 10 points in any of the last three games, so right now I’m not as worried about them. I’m more concerned with an OL that can’t pass protect and a coach who seems to have lost the ability to adapt and call plays that give our team the best chance to succeed.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've been a Goff fan for a couple years. But now I'm starting to think maybe he really was a product of the system. Maybe the critics were right all along. Today Goff is not a good NFL quarterback. The conditions are tough for most QB's so there is that.

But Goff is now 25 years old in his 4th season. He's not getting better. His throws don't look crisp or accurate. He has a slow release allowing defenders to get a hand on his throwing arm and create fumbles. He's also throwing more INT's. And not as many TD's.

I hate to say it, but I think he needs an optimal situation around him to succeed. The classic system quarterback. Maybe they build it back next year, maybe not. But you want more from a guy who got a huge extension. In hindsight, maybe they were premature with that.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Fair enough but some parts of the team deserve more blame than others. The D itself hasn’t given up more than 10 points in any of the last three games, so right now I’m not as worried about them. I’m more concerned with an OL that can’t pass protect and a coach who seems to have lost the ability to adapt and call plays that give our team the best chance to succeed.
I agree

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Sometimes Defenses are dialed in and up for the challenge, just like The Steelers D yesterday. Also, take a look at what the 1-7 Falcons D did to Drew Brees at HOME yesterday. 6 sacks I believe? No TD's. Shit happens. It's really simple, JG is a pocket passer and when clean he's a whole different QB. So, let's do what we need to keep him clean and he will be fine! Not really rocket science.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I've been a Goff fan for a couple years. But now I'm starting to think maybe he really was a product of the system. Maybe the critics were right all along. Today Goff is not a good NFL quarterback. The conditions are tough for most QB's so there is that.

But Goff is now 25 years old in his 4th season. He's not getting better. His throws don't look crisp or accurate. He has a slow release allowing defenders to get a hand on his throwing arm and create fumbles. He's also throwing more INT's. And not as many TD's.

I hate to say it, but I think he needs an optimal situation around him to succeed. The classic system quarterback. Maybe they build it back next year, maybe not. But you want more from a guy who got a huge extension. In hindsight, maybe they were premature with that.

Unfortunately I'm thinking the exact same thing. Goff/Mcvay have been figured out. I think that Goff is getting worse and he will never be Brees/Brady/Manning level of QB. The kid has all the tools but he makes bad decisions and he's locks on to his targets. This offseason is going to be pivotal for Goff. He needs to work on getting better. I just wonder if he's got the desire because he definitely has the tools. Just really hurts that we were talking the beginning of a Dynasty last year and now the window looks like its closing shut.

Ellard80

Legend
He's nothing like Brady. Tom Brady was so quick with his decision making, and knowing where the ball needed to go, that he can make any o line competent. It was Brady making their o line look good, not the other way around. You've seen how many random guys the Patriots have had on their o line. They never have to spend big money on it because they got the GOAT at QB.

So you either need a fast decision maker at QB to make the o line look better, or you need an athlete at QB that can escape the rush. We have neither.

Country Club QB, is more a term of basically saying Goff needs optimal conditions (great protection, great weapons, great everything around him) in order to look good. Now, you can win with those types of QBs. But you can't when that type of QB is paid like the top one in the league.

Yeah this narrative that Brady always has a good offensive line is just another common fallacy on this board. There were times yesterday when Goff had no chance, but there were times when he did have a chance. Both interceptions he threw were not a result of pressure. He really needs find something, with our weak 0-line and his declining play, we have a recipe for some mediocre or bad football.

There still is plenty of time however...

Ram77

Rookie
I wish we had Josh Jacobs the Raiders RB. That 1st we gave up for Cooks plus maybe a 3rd and we could have moved up and drafted him. He makes his Oline look better. Hes young, fast, powerful and healthy. Henderson doesnt look like a workhorse back. And Gurley is not Gurley anymore. Brown is a good stop gap and nothing more. Look what Dalvin Cook brings to the Vikings. He makes Kirk Cousins and that passing game look way better when teams fear the run. Dont tell me the Vikings Oline is way better than ours. We need the threat of a running game that will wear down defenses.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi

I agree with most of that but I dont think Brady makes the line, that team looked fine with brissett, garapolo and whoever's else . I think the Pat's offense opens up those quick passes while our offense takes forever for guys to open up.

I blame mcvay more than goff. Coaches need to adjust and he seems to be stuck in his ways